Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people complain so much about WoW's Graphics, yet DAoC and EQ1 doesnt get any such ridicule f

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I see WoW bashers constantly targeting WoW's graphics with insults such as it being Cartoony and such bad graphics.

But why do these same people not put any efforts into bashing DAoC and EQ1's graphics as well?

Damn, WoW may not have the best Grpahics, but at least they make up for it in Animations.

EQ1 and DAoC have both bad Graphics and Bad Animations.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86

maybe because DAoC and EQ1 are older but looks better? i've played DAoC 7 years and to me the grafic is much better than of WoW... and i'm not a WoW basher.

• PatrtykPatrtyk Member Posts: 21

I grew out of my saturday morning cartoons years and years ago.. 

But yea EQ came out long before WoW..and well.. thats sums it up 

just my two krona

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

As said before... WoW is 'only' 6 years old and has pretty b ad graphics for a game that 'young', even after 2 overhauls of the engine and still no promised DX11 in it... Compare it with EQ1 that's 12 years olf and never really had a graphics overhaul (never played DoaC, but I guess it's much the same), and has for the time it was released excellent graphics.

I agree that EQ2 has bad graphics, but when I put it into perspective of it's age and you have agree that it's pretty good after all ;-)

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

Because it is an older game then wow.

You are probably one of those people that think WoW was the 1st MMo's.

Sorry to burst your bubble but WoW is a 2nd gen MMo with one of the worst graphic engines. Its using the Warcraft  III engine witch was a few years old at the time of WoW launch .

EQ1, DAOC are 1st gen MMo's so the graphic of course will not be compared to WoW or any 2nd Gen MMo.

Next post you put up you should get to know your gaming history better.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

i would also like to add that not only does wows graphics suck, but the game itself sucks penis compared to the older games.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Burning Crusade hurt WoW's reputation for graphics.  This was supposed to be state of the art when it released?

Eversong Woods

Hardly says much for it.

Lich King did quite a bit better, but didn't seem to help the reputation much.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

cuz they are older + i wouldnt say wows grafix are so great ..id take eq / daoc over the clownie-ness grafix of wow any day + the gameplay would have a bit to do with my choice as well lol

• metal0xmetal0x Member UncommonPosts: 72

I thought that WoW used the Unreal engine.

ppl complain alot because they over recycle the models an just give it a new paint job or worst.

• KomarKomar Member UncommonPosts: 49

2 reasons I think.

1) Blizzard designed WoW with poorer graphics on purpose, they wanted to make sure as many comps of the time could run the system.  Since the beta days, it has been a complaint by many players.  EQ was actually pretty impressive when it first came out and DAoC was even better, WoW being a game that came out several years after them really didnt improve much on the graphics and folks were disappointed (EQ has had a facelift btw, just only so much you can do with an antiquated system).

2) Some people do not like the cartoon stylized graphics WoW is using.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Come on OP, you already know the answer.

Everquest - Released 1999.  Consider it's the 2nd MMORPG ever that had any sort of recognition, coming right after Ultima Online (ahh, the glorious decade of PC gaming).

Dark Age of Camelot - Released 2001.  I never played it, but a bunch of friends did.  Graphics were never an issue with anyone that I knew who tried it.  It was more on gameplay that whether it made them stay with it or not.

World of Warcraft - Late 2004.

The EQ & DAOC were released several years before WoW.  Hell, EQ was from a different decade than WoW, and dev teams should have taken cues from the mistakes and lessons from the devs of UO & EQ.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I see WoW bashers constantly targeting WoW's graphics with insults such as it being Cartoony and such bad graphics.

But why do these same people not put any efforts into bashing DAoC and EQ1's graphics as well?

Damn, WoW may not have the best Grpahics, but at least they make up for it in Animations.

EQ1 and DAoC have both bad Graphics and Bad Animations.

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

DAoC and EQ1 to me had great UI systems, I more so liked EQ a little better, but horrible animations, stiff characters, gameplay was funky and bland playing worlds, just killed it for me.

I remember when I saw WOW for the first time it was Dec 04 and I was like, this looks really good, but I never got around to playing it till the Summer of 05, which of course, it had a huge facelift throughout the game and I looked even more impressive when I first saw it.

This game was being developed in the late 90's and seeing that it's 2011 and how much of an overhaul Blizzard has done to this engine which was used in Warcraft 3, I'm impressed.  

Lets pick at the Hero Engine being used in Star Wars TOR, everyone hated how cartoony it is and some how it only reminded ppl of WOW and they weren't impressed.  If you even look at what Bioware has done with the game since its development and look at it now, I would expect most ppl would re-think there claim on what they thought of it and the game hasn't even launched yet.

I do have three things in this game I wish Blizzard addressed. Needs updated original character designs, more customization on characters and never enjoyed reused building structures. <---- I know ppl can pick a lot of things they wish were here or not here but, these are what bothered me the most in the game.

It's always easier for someone to pick on the top MMO in the bunch, it's going to happen again when WOW does lose it's #1 spot.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

Originally posted by stamps79

DAoC and EQ1 to me had great UI systems, but horrible animations, lifeless characters, gameplay was funky and ugly playing worlds, just killed it for me. When EQ 2 came out I was pretty impressed with the changes to the game, but found myself picking at it way too much , which I ended up not enjoying it.

I remember when I saw WOW for the first time it was Dec 04 and I was like, this looks really good, but I never got around to playing it till the Summer of 05, which of course, it had a huge facelift throughout the game and I was even more wow'ed of what I had seen.

This game was being developed in the late 90's and seeing that it's 2011 and how much of an overhaul Blizzard has done to this engine which was used in Warcraft 3, I'm impressed.  

I do have three things in this game I wish Blizzard addressed. Needs updated original character designs, more customization on characters and never enjoyed reused building structures. <---- I know ppl can pick a lot of things they wish were here or not here but, these are what bothered me the most in the game.

It's always easier for someone to pick on the top MMO in the bunch.

lol... its funny how a guy/girl with your (maybe made-up) game experience can agree with a comparison post of games that are not even close to each other.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

People complain the most about WoW because it's the biggest game.

That's like asking why more people complain about McDonalds, when Ron's Greasy Dive has worse hamburgers.

... not enough people have experienced Ron's horrible hamburgers to think it's worth discussing. :T

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

WoW released with already outdated graphics

DAoC and EQ1 didnt.

Its like saying "Why are people complaining of WoWs dumbed down gameplay...Pong's more dumbed down!"

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by Warmaker

Come on OP, you already know the answer.

Everquest - Released 1999.  Consider it's the 2nd MMORPG ever that had any sort of recognition, coming right after Ultima Online (ahh, the glorious decade of PC gaming).

Dark Age of Camelot - Released 2001.  I never played it, but a bunch of friends did.  Graphics were never an issue with anyone that I knew who tried it.  It was more on gameplay that whether it made them stay with it or not.

World of Warcraft - Late 2004.

The EQ & DAOC were released several years before WoW.  Hell, EQ was from a different decade than WoW, and dev teams should have taken cues from the mistakes and lessons from the devs of UO & EQ.

Correction...different CENTURY lol

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by jerkbeast

... It was a different year, a different decade... a different century... and a different millenium too, don't forget. ;)

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

People who complain about WoW graphics are fairly uneducated and don't know much about what makes "good" graphics. Really, what most of you don't like is the artstyle, which is fine... but that is matter of OPINION only.

WoW's graphics, at least after Cataclysm, are actually not bad at all. In fact, the effects are quite well done, and the ambiance is fantastic. If you don't like the ARTSTYLE, well that is a different story and you're entitled to your own opinion, but don't go around saying a game has bad graphics when it doesn't. Take a look at Minecraft, the game is intended to look like it has poor graphics, but if you download the right mod, you realize what the engine is capable of. Not only that, Minecraft requires fairly decent computer specs to be able to run efficiently with those HD mods.

Learn what you're talking about before you make ignorant claims that WoW has bad graphics.

I do 100% agree, however, that there are certain race models in WoW that need updating - something Blizzard said they will be doing in the near future (ie Human and Undead models)

edit - I'm not ignorant to the fact people hate on WoW because of its popularity, and nothing more. Some burning jealousy, I guess? I can't figure that one out...

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by jerkbeast

... It was a different year, a different decade... a different century... and a different millenium too, don't forget. ;)

Now THAT is longevity!

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

A lot of gamers are 'graphics snobs'  who cannot appraciate good game graphics if they do not use the newest technology. 

WoW's graphics fit the game really well so they are good graphics for the game.  The graphics of EQ and DAoC fit the games they were designed for so they also are good grpahics.  In turn Age of Conan's graphics could never convey to me the 'feeling' of the setting so I consider them bad graphics even though they might be 'technologically superior'.

What really suprised me was how good the graphics for XCom: UFO Defence still feel today even though the game is almost two decades old.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

You always bad mouth the fat kid that beats you and your friends up everyday for lunch money.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Most the time its not graphics its art style they refer to.

I personally hate wow's art style I also hate War's, RIFT's, LOTRO and a whole load of other games.

SP wise I didnt like Borderlands art style.

Graphics dont have to be cutting edge for me to enjoy a game they jsut have to have a art style I like for eg I can still play Lineage or Ultima to this day because I still like the art style.

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

You always bad mouth the fat kid that beats you and your friends up everyday for lunch money.

yes.. if he`s 5 years older than me, thats not a fair fight :P

Originally posted by GPrestige

People who complain about WoW graphics are fairly uneducated and don't know much about what makes "good" graphics. Really, what most of you don't like is the artstyle, which is fine... but that is matter of OPINION only.

WoW's graphics, at least after Cataclysm, are actually not bad at all. In fact, the effects are quite well done, and the ambiance is fantastic. If you don't like the ARTSTYLE, well that is a different story and you're entitled to your own opinion, but don't go around saying a game has bad graphics when it doesn't. Take a look at Minecraft, the game is intended to look like it has poor graphics, but if you download the right mod, you realize what the engine is capable of. Not only that, Minecraft requires fairly decent computer specs to be able to run efficiently with those HD mods.

Learn what you're talking about before you make ignorant claims that WoW has bad graphics.

I do 100% agree, however, that there are certain race models in WoW that need updating - something Blizzard said they will be doing in the near future (ie Human and Undead models)

edit - I'm not ignorant to the fact people hate on WoW because of its popularity, and nothing more. Some burning jealousy, I guess? I can't figure that one out...

Do you know how I know the graphics are bad? My computer can run it. I can't even run Eve.

Also the reason that so many people bash WoW isn't solely because it is popular. For me the reason I've started to hate WoW so much (besides all of it's actual problems) is what it did to the gaming market as a whole. It showed other manufactures a profitable startegy for an MMO, and suddenly all the investors just wanted a copy of it. It killed diversity in the market, and originality. I understand that profit is what companies are after, but as a gamer that likes diversity I can't stand this mindset, and I KNOW that WoW isn't dirrectly making the choices for those compaines, but it's their indirect influence that I hate.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

This is one of those rare instances where a WoW Fan has inadvertently recognized that there were games that weren't WoW clones simply because there is something sucky-er when it comes to visuals than substance.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett