Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Artistic Style

2»

Comments

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Nice interview with a lead artist.

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/03/30/exclusive-interview-arenanets-daniel-dociu/

The cool thing abut gw2 is you actually see some really awesome paintings on the walls of some building, for example inside the Vigil keep. It has an amazing attention to detail.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Warband

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/03/30/exclusive-interview-arenanets-daniel-dociu/

The cool thing abut gw2 is you actually see some really awesome paintings on the walls of some building, for example inside the Vigil keep. It has an amazing attention to detail.

Daniel Dociu is awesome.  I love his science fiction pieces. <3

Also, if that last piece, Stormy Horizon is a piece of Guild Wars 2 concept art...

... that's kind of a scarily big dragon. :<

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Warband
    Daniel Dociu is awesome.  I love his science fiction pieces. <3
    Also, if that last piece, Stormy Horizon is a piece of Guild Wars 2 concept art...
    ... that's kind of a scarily big dragon. :<

I was thinking the same thing, Red. I know that the Shatterer was hugeish in the demo, but that dragon there *IS* the horizon! The question becomes "How do we fight this thing?!"

But that is a great interview. And I love just about everything I see by him. My patience is waning as I wait for this game!

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    CE has to have a digital library of the art for this game. Games are evolving in dramatic fashion...

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

CE has to have a digital library of the art for this game. Games are evolving in dramatic fashion... You heard it here first ;)

Pft, the game Sengoku Blade, which I got... in 1996, had hundreds of art pieces for the game on the CD, by all sorts of good artists.  From concept art to tribute pieces.

That's hardly some sort of next-gen feature, having a digital library of art. :)

CE has to have a digital library of the art for this game. Games are evolving in dramatic fashion... You heard it here first ;)

Pft, the game Sengoku Blade, which I got... in 1996, had hundreds of art pieces for the game on the CD, by all sorts of good artists.  From concept art to tribute pieces.

That's hardly some sort of next-gen feature, having a digital library of art. :)

Texting posts on my iOS is proving tricky! I mean it seems all the real artistic talent is in games/advertising/films these days and the traditional art students fighting for eg the Turner Prize are the rejects... It wouldn't surprise me to see the media take notice of GW2 for these aesthetic reasons. Bundling digital art in this case really is worth it (as well as saving me the time of compiling it all from the Internet!). Let's see, but I am blown away by this stuff.

Texting posts on my iOS is proving tricky! I mean it seems all the real artistic talent is in games/advertising/films these days and the traditional art students fighting for eg the Turner Prize are the rejects... It wouldn't surprise me to see the media take notice of GW2 for these aesthetic reasons. Bundling digital art in this case really is worth it (as well as saving me the time of compiling it all from the Internet!). Let's see, but I am blown away by this stuff.

Hmmm.  Well, if it's anything like the first 3 GW games (Eye of the North was the only exception), they'll bundle some sort of art book with the CE.

I wouldn't mind a digital collection to go with that, but I do love art books.  Of course, if you stacked up all the art books I've bought, it would probably be a stack about chest high. :)

Hmmm.  Well, if it's anything like the first 3 GW games (Eye of the North was the only exception), they'll bundle some sort of art book with the CE.

I wouldn't mind a digital collection to go with that, but I do love art books.  Of course, if you stacked up all the art books I've bought, it would probably be a stack about chest high. :)

Ah, books are alright but in these hard economic times, digital allows for space and the number of great books I've let go (they travel heavily) I'd prefer digital version. Then there's the music, novels and game lol.
  • Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

They can actually solve some big tech problems with the painting style they're using.  Having 2D stuf in there can give you far more detail while saving your gpu for the NECESSARY 3D stuf.  I think a major part of the problem of lag (latency) in all those cities in all those games we play is the shear number of polygons needed to make a truly 3D city.  If we can replace some of that stuf with really great 2D, we win.

The attention to detail we've seen so far in demos and such is astonishing.  And don't forget weather as art too, which seems to be much more integrated into GW2 than just setting.  It was mentioned in one of the videos that weather would even affect those dynamic events, so it's not just going to be something to obstruct your vision and make you fiddle with your monitor to see anything.  I'm interested to see how the world look will change in, e.g., a snowstorm vs a light dusting of snow.  If we're really going to go for a virtual world, these are the types of details we need to see in the future, and GW2 appears to be taking early steps towards this.

But when I think of "art" in these games, I always come back to the characters.  All the great setting and scenery in the world doesn't do any good if the people you look at don't look good as well.  Yes, there's always a certain amount of stylism in the characters, and certain trade-offs made for performance and animation.  From what we've been shown so far, I'm thinking GW2 may have just the right balance, because these characters are good to look at and certainly animate well.

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

The art style? Reminds me of Dragon Age...thats the first thing that came to mind.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Shrilly

The art style? Reminds me of Dragon Age...thats the first thing that came to mind.

How so? It doesn't look brown and plain to me.

• zone16zone16 Member Posts: 51

Fantasy design does have asian influences, but I see that as a good thing. Medieval fantasy is overused in the west and it ends up feeling in every game like you're playing in the same exact world as in the previous game. Most Korean games look good, but their problems are that they are boring grindfests with very little content that is designed with intent to take as much of your time as possible.

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

to me this art style seem asian that wants to cater to the western people... couple of years back i would have thought that this is the only real way to go about it but now im starting to feel more need for that conanish realistic art style with darker, grimmer colors with less high fantasy setting.. but i still dont mind playing this either, i can play singleplayer games for that kind satisfaction...    *looking at the elder scroll - skyrim screenshots*

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Seems good to me. I just can't wait to create my first character in that virtual world. Lets go ArenaNet stop being a bunch of slackers and lets go go go!

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Can't imagine anyone would say the art is not up to par cos it's the most beautiful fanstasy mmo yet

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I have always loved games with artistic graphics. For example Prince of Persia 4 was apsolutely gorgeous! do you agree?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Yeah it looks nice, I'm not a huge fan of the style for the cut scenes though. I like that they mixed realism with style for the character graphics, so many games that go for realism just end up bland and ugly like Rift and EQ2.