Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't seem to stick with it.

RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

I've been bouncing around a few MMOs now and I seem to always drift back to EVE. I don't know what it is. In the past year I must have had, oh, 15 - 20 trial accounts. First few days I'm having a blast then by day ten or so I lose interest. I've tried all different career paths and I just can't seem to stick with it. At one point I did have a paid subscription where I played for almost two months. But, I got scammed really bad and in an attempt to recooperate my losses got burnt out.

Any suggestions to keep myself attracted to EVE? I really want to keep myself involved, but for some reason I always just seem to drift in and out of the game.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

join a fun corp?

eve is fun alone, but 100x more fun in a corp

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by lalartu

join a fun corp?

eve is fun alone, but 100x more fun in a corp

This is super, super, super important to enjoy Eve, and especially important for someone like you!

Do not be afraid to join a corp for a couple days, see how it goes, then leave them if they suck. Corp bounce and keep bouncing until you find a good one. 

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Are you trying to win? Are you thinking...well, if I get 50 mil isk, I can get the cool artillery pieces for my rifter? Slow down. If you are applying what you have learned in the 15-20 trial accounts..the 16th to 21st trial will end the same as the first one. You don't win. You don't really lose. As long as there are asteroids and agents in hisec, there will always be a viable albeit slow, income source.

You've tried all the career paths? Really? Have you set up a POS and ran simple and complex reations?  Have you purchased cap ship BPC's and meticulously constructed a carrier/super carrier one piece at a time that took you over 12 months to get all the BPC's for? Have you built up your standings up enough with a NPC Corp to begin harvesting datacores? Have you scanned down/setup shop/ratted and mined a wormhole clean?

Have you been a pirate in losec and suicide bombed a several ships at a gate two jumps from Jita, collected the loot and then sold the same loot to the guy that you killed via an alt? Have you setup a cloaked stealth bomber, sat in a system and had an enemy alliance make 14 posts on their internal forum on how to deal with you?

Sir, I don't believe in all of your trial accounts, you have achieved all that you can in EvE. I have been playing since 2006 and I know I haven't. I encourage you to do two things, well three.

1. No matter how many other MMO's you have played..who cares. You are not a veteran of EvE..if anything it is better to know nothing. Pretend you know nothing. When you ask questions...don't interrupt and say."well in Age of Conan or in WoW..we did it LIKE THIS."....guess what? No one cares. Shut up, and pay attention.

2. After a week or two...and you feel comfortable with the GUI, you know that lo sec means you can be killed and the GM's won't give you your ship back..you know that people in Jita are actually trying to scam you out of your hard earned isk...then find a corp to join.

3. After you've been in the corp for about 3 weeks....you'll know if you are learning something. If you aren't...move on. Be respectful. Don't steal anything. You got plenty of time to be an ass later. You can not change your name in EvE thus your reputation follows you. Yes, there are ways around it...but just try and establish that you aren't a scumbag for at least the beginning of your life....

lastly...slow down.  If you are getting frustrated with your corpies, the lag, the market, your mining cycle..whatever...tell your corpies on Teamspeak/Ventrillo that you are logging, and you'll see them tomorrow. No dishonor in knowing you have had enough. It will be there tomorrow. Come back refreshed and ready for the next challenge. Don't rage uninstall, don't punch a hole in the sheetrock. Collect your thoughts and figure out how to solve the issues.

EvE remains the top MMO to many for a reason. Enjoy it.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

As for the above reply, by tried pretty much all career paths I meant I ran agents for a solid week straight. Or, mined for a week straight. Or, explored for COSMOS for a week straight. I spent a solid five or so days in nul sec just flying around. I never saw one other person. On the fifth day I somehow came across a POS and, well, I'll let you guess what happened.

Maybe I am trying to "win". That's probably my problem. Another thing is, I have no idea what career I want to pursue. If I were to sub for another account today, I haven't a clue if I want to trade, PvP, explore, mine, or go into production. I did find the trading somewhat...fun? Maybe not fun, but something that I got a hang of. PvP I'm terrible at. I get jammed and scrammed before I even know whats happening. =P

Maybe I'll give it another go. Get into trading again because that's what I did on my last sub and that held my interest the longest. /shrug

• Slider7Slider7 Member UncommonPosts: 75

Like everyone that has posted before this post in this specific thread, is correct about EvE...you should try and find a corp to join in, even if you bounce around a few because this corp sucked for this reason or for that reason. 

Mainly, doing missions get really old and repetitive.  Being a in a corp and having someone to talk to and help "trick" out your ship, and/or make a better modification so that you can either mine better, fight better or just zip around the galaxy better.

Granted that I have only been in the game for about 10 days and switched over from a 21-day trial to a paid account, but I found that the group that I am running with right now they are willing to take me in as I am and teach me the better things of the game and show how to play the game better.

I have personally noticed that the skills and learning curve is super steep in EvE, and just working this profession line or that profession line gets old and boring...just have to stick with it, and find a group to run with.  Also, lastly, get the TeamSpeak 3 or Ventrillo clients as well, this will make the game feel more personable and I think that you will get more enjoyment from the game.  If anything get with me in-game and we can look at doing something or I can see about getting you into the corp that I am currently in. 

Prime example:  I ran with my new corp mates last night and they where working the more advance missions and I helped out with "rat" killing and mop-up oprerations and then after the fight went and picked up salvage after the fighting had finished and ended up making about 5 million isk just from the salvage selling on the market, and the bonus bounty from the NPC "rats" came to a total just over 16 million isk total from the bounties and market sales.  

All the while, before, during and after the mission I was getting help on attack and defense tactics to help me out for when I get to the level that the group I am in with, as well as suggestions for ship armaments, items that I should be carrying as well what not to do in a fight. 

There are corps that are going to be out there that all they want to do is 0.0 lowsec PvP and wormhole runs, mission runs and/or any combination listed and that is all good and fine. But find a group that you are going to be confortable with and learn from them, ask questions.

Enjoy!

-Slider7

Looking for that next MMO

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Dambit Jack that was a good post.

Like Cactus Jack I too have been playing for 4 years and I haven't even touched some huge aspects of the game. Anyone who says they've "tried everything" in EVE has either been playing very intensively for a very long time or is lying or (most likely) is simply unaware of the vast variety of options they have, and they actually just did missions in hi-sec for a bit.

Listen, this is important: Fuck missions!

Almost everything is more fun that them and most professions are more rewarding. Missioning is the equivalent of a minimum wage Klerks job. If all else fails and you've totally fucked up everything else, you can always make a baseline income grinding missions.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

Let me second that last post: Screw Missions!

Missions are there to make money so you can do other things.  They're there because you don't need super expensive ships to get started (Likewise with mining).  There are loads of other things to do in EVE, but most of them require other people.  Solo life in EVE is very dull.  It's possible, and can even be profitable, but it's usually incredibly boring.

Stuff to do beyond missions/mining...

Wormholes/Exploration - Higher skill requirement, much more cash, PVP risk

Incursions - Need to be good at one type of ship, and have friends.  Groups are REQUIRED, but there's no PVP in Hi Sec Incursions

Null Sec PVP - Need to be a member of a 0.0 alliance and have somewhat okay skills.  You probably won't get in as a super new toon unless you have a friend to get you in, but after a few months most won't mind you being around and might even teach you something.

Trading - Solo playing the markets.  EVE is the only MMO that absolutely requires everyone use the market for nearly everything, and many people enjoy speculating on the market.  Can also haul stuff from where it's cheap to where it ain't.  Your creativity is pretty much the limit here.

Pirating - Best in small groups or small corps.  Low skillpoints needed, but more are always handy.  Solo is possible, but will be VERY hard/expensive/boring.

There's way more, but that's just what came to my mind.  I haven't done much of any of these things, but I've dabbled enough to know that missions/mining are the absolute worst parts of EVE.  It's a shame that they're also the first thing most new people try.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

First thing you should do: Train toward stealth bombers

Second: Find a nullsec corp

Third: Train toward battlecruisers

Fourth: Have fun blowing shit up

Good luck.

PS: And if the corp that wants to recruit you asks you to pay an entry fee, don't, it's a scam. And if they want you to drop  yoru ships off at a station to have them moved. Make sure the stuff you bring is minimal cost so that if they steal it from you your losses are small.