Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best F2P MMO?

BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

I'm looking for opinions on what you think is the best free to play MMO out there, currently. Preferably with your opinion as to why X mmo is best.

Particularly ones that don't block off content and require you to pay for it to progress your character, otherwise referred to as a pseudo-F2P.

.. But in a good way.

Comments

• MorghulisMorghulis Member Posts: 43

Uncharted Waters Online?

Reasoning: About the only in game item that has a real effect on gameplay is the +10% sail speed item and that's hardly massive. The game itself is like Pirates of the Burning Sea but... Actually good? Etc etc.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I really like the gameplay in Vindictus. The cash shop is mostly vanity items (hairstyles/clothing/etc), but it does gate your progress if you don't buy additional tokens. But the limit is set high enough that you can have fun (2-3 hours a day of gameplay allowed a day without needing to buy tokens).

I do admit, that outside of the combat/gameplay, the game is a bit thin. But for free, I won't complain too loudly about it.

• hardgameshardgames Member Posts: 71

CardMon Hero!! Well obviously it's not the best F2P MMORPG for everyone, but for me, it is one of the best.

Since you're asking for a reason, well I think the game is great because it is kind of unique. It has a summoning system, which is relatively similar to other MMOs pet system. Although in this case, you can get a lot of different monsters and you can fight with more than one of them. That's why I like this game. :)

Played: Runescape, Adventure Quest
    Currently playing: Aika Global, Atlantica Online
    Waiting for: Cardmon Hero, Dynasty Warriors Online

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

I'm not sure I can tell you what "the best" free to play MMO is but I can tell you what the best MMORPG that you don't have to pay a subscription fee for is - Guild Wars.  If you've never played the game, you can pick up the three campaigns for 30 bucks on Direct 2 Drive or Amazon if you want the box.  The price is well worth it.  Barring that the upcoming Firefall should be a great free to play game that doesn't require a sub or item shop to stay competitive - it is however an FPS.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Ridelynn

I really like the gameplay in Vindictus. The cash shop is mostly vanity items (hairstyles/clothing/etc), but it does gate your progress if you don't buy additional tokens. But the limit is set high enough that you can have fun (2-3 hours a day of gameplay allowed a day without needing to buy tokens).

I do admit, that outside of the combat/gameplay, the game is a bit thin. But for free, I won't complain too loudly about it.

So its very limited your gameplay and thats why Vindictus is not free2play lol.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Mabinogi, is hands down the best F2P.

Only thing you could really want is maybe a pet or two for extra storage.  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• kaorusdreamkaorusdream Member Posts: 9

Currently I'm playing Eudemons Online. over 100 pets to choose from. those pets are cool XD

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by Evasia

Originally posted by Ridelynn

So its very limited your gameplay and thats why Vindictus is not free2play lol.

Well, it's not actually that limiting.   On a single character, it's kind of annoying, but if you play 2 characters, you'd have trouble using up all your tokens before each reset (M/Th/Sa).   If you play 3 characters, you'll basically never run out of tokens.  

Also, there are plenty of in game ways to get more tokens where it doesn't involve you having to pay for cash shop items.   You can buy crimson tokens other players sell (which are cash shop items, but can be sold to other players for in-game gold) which allow you to extend your playtime indefinitely.   The crimson tokens are priced so that when new content is released, you can sell your loot from the new missions to pay for the costs of the crimson tokens it takes to run them, while still making some leftover profit.  

Other than that, the game is 100% free2play.   Everything offered by the cash shop is not essential to the game play, and no game content is blocked off other than some aesthetic items.