Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Each class 3 chapters of story, each chapter longer than KoToR itself

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFragW.../2/Wx35tv6rqzo

It's in the last few moments of the video.

Daniel Erikson , 3 chapters , and each chapter is a complete story for the charactars.

And the average play time for a chapter is far in excess of the time to play one of the kotors.

and 50 - 60 man years of writing was mentioned as well.

Story. Lots of story.

Comments

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Werent they saying that STWOR is equal to Kotor 3, 4, and 5 all together? I hope its true.

• res_1res_1 Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Normike

Werent they saying that STWOR is equal to Kotor 3, 4, and 5 all together? I hope its true.

More like KoToR x 24 now.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Yaayyy!! By far larger Im guessing 2x longer soo...Time to start playing KOTOR and measuring your time!!! 100% speedruns here I come!!!

Ill do kotor 2 as well!!!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I like what I hear.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

An average time for a first time KOTOR playthrough seems to be around 35-40 hours, or as one source commented: 'An average game will take you around 35-50 hours to complete, and although people have taken more or less time than that, it’s safe to say you can expect at least 40 hours of logged play-time'

According to the dev statements one chapter of a Class storyline is apparently far longer than 1 KOTOR game, and that times three, per class.

Interestingly enough this only relates to the Class Quests, to play through them, not the World Arcs or the World Quests which are supposed to offer more content and questing gameplay than the Class Quests do.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

An average time for a first time KOTOR playthrough seems to be around 35-40 hours, or as one source commented: 'An average game will take you around 35-50 hours to complete, and although people have taken more or less time than that, it’s safe to say you can expect at least 40 hours of logged play-time'

According to the dev statements one chapter of a Class storyline is apparently far longer than 1 KOTOR game, and that times three, per class.

Interestingly enough this only relates to the Class Quests, to play through them, not the World Arcs or the World Quests which are supposed to offer more content and questing gameplay than the Class Quests do.

Good stuff here.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

No surprise, when every lawnmower tells me the entire story of his LIFE! XD

Nah, just kidding. It's great to hear. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

That's why I'm so pumped about playing SWTOR other than it being a Bioware game and it being the Star Wars IP.

I'm not crazy about MMO quests, but DAoC did a great job with class/faction quests. There were only 1 quest every 5 levels, but they were really good. An entire game full of class quests will make the game fun and offer a lot of replayability. I know that seems very solo oriented, but the genre is already solo oriented, except we're forced to do mundane chore-like quests that feel like work to get through. Between great quests and some classic MMORPG features, I'm hopeful that this game will hold my attention for a long time.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by nate1980

That's why I'm so pumped about playing SWTOR other than it being a Bioware game and it being the Star Wars IP.

I'm not crazy about MMO quests, but DAoC did a great job with class/faction quests. There were only 1 quest every 5 levels, but they were really good. An entire game full of class quests will make the game fun and offer a lot of replayability. I know that seems very solo oriented, but the genre is already solo oriented, except we're forced to do mundane chore-like quests that feel like work to get through. Between great quests and some classic MMORPG features, I'm hopeful that this game will hold my attention for a long time.

Just to add to that. He was just talking about the class story, not the world story or the thousands of generic open world quests. Also not included are the Flashpoints, Warzones, Exploration, Mini-games (space combat) or crafting. And on top of that. Every quest for each faction are different. No repeated quest content that each faction shares. You can play 1 to 50 on one side. Then play a completely different experience including world quests and world story on the other side.

So I am also "pumped" to play TOR. Just on the amount of content alone that will keep me playing. And just knowing that the story will be told by BW means the game can't go wrong, for me at least.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by res_1

Daniel Erikson , 3 chapters , and each chapter is a complete story for the charactars.

And the average play time for a chapter is far in excess of the time to play one of the kotors.

Story. Lots of story.

Thats a lot of KOTOR lol. Cant wait for this game, really looking forward to another Bioware game. If SW:TOR also proves to be a great MMO, then thats just a great bonus for me :p

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Thats insane. Its the equivalent of playing 3 single player rpgs per class? And thats just personal story???? This game is starting to sound ridiculously huge. I dont think i was quite grasping the scope of this game until now.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

People will start complaining that the game has too much content for a change, haha.

Nice little factoid, this.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Oddly, since story is something a lot of people pick on in relation to SW:TOR (as in the "keep your story out of my MMO" brigade), the mentions over the years of the scale of the personal story have kept me interested in SW:TOR through all the waxing and waning phases of waiting for it to release.

KOTOR is one of my favourite RPGs, and if I can look forward to storytelling of that calibre and scope in the MMO then I'm pretty confident I'm going to love the game.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Well according to PaX they feel one of the keys to success is to make sure that when your MMO releases it has as much content as games that are already out.  They don't feel that the: oh the MMO is new thats why it doesn't have much content.  Is a good reason.  Anyone serious will havve as much or more to offer then the games already out.

Personally i love story and the more the better,  they did state there would be 200 hours per class, and this line seems to go right along with that.

and as maverik said, thats just the personal story...one part....for that class...out of the whole game.  Your lucky in some MMOs if you get any personal quest...at all.  Let alone one this size.  Then when you stack that one top of everything else thats in game.  you get the idea of where all that money went.  IT went into content...it went into the worlds...it went into the characters...it went into making a meaty MMO.

I have no illusions however that every single quest will be on the edge of your seat interesting, but i do think we are in for a treat at the very least.  Plus the fact you get to share this with others. Most of the time with 3 others, sometimes more.  While granted it will be scripted, it not what you do but the way how you do it and i'm liking the way how Bioware is doing it at the moment.

Little Factiod for those that aren't following that might be interested: All personal quests can be grouped, which means they won't require you to solo any part of it.  Add to the fact that multiplayer dialogue (which means your not just an extra sword but you can add your own little zing to the story as well in the dialogues) will be in effect, means that if you join someones personal quest, you can not only help them out but add to their story as well. (not change it but just spice it up more then if they were on their own)

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I cant wait to hear about their pvp system. If they put even half as much effort into designing it as their crew skills or personal story, im gonna be one happy gamer.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Nothing really new here, except maybe the story being broken into 3 chapters.  They have repeatedly said that there will be 200+ hours of storyline for each class.

One of the most amazing aspects of this is the fact that you can skip all the story and decide to level through questing, grinding , and pvp.  The Story is optional!  (Just had to add that in for the inevitable whiners that will show up)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Same here, the KoToR series are my favorite RPG's, especially since I'm a Star Wars fanatic. I love the MMORPG format, but I've become disenamored with the community that entered the MMORPG space since WoW, so I'm not bothered by the fact that my main play time in SW;TOR may be alone. At least I'll have the option of doing things with others if I want to, and I bet group play will be a lot of fun in a Star Wars game. Star Wars is the type of IP that polarizes people into two seperate factions and would thrive with faction based PvP. Hopefully we'll have the same faction pride in Star Wars that we had in DAoC.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Wow....that statement just took my breath away...I feel so over 9000 right now..let's see how that unfolds..

But if that is true...just think of the space it'd eat...calculating the lowest numbers (2gb per chapter times three times eight equals viola! 48 plus at least 10 gb of additional space for all the other things...we're looking at the hugest game to this date:)

The number are just ridiculous..Im kinda sceptical on this one

...after playing DA2 Im evern more sceptical :D

On the bright side..this could trully be the game for your life..

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by whilan

Add to the fact that multiplayer dialogue (which means your not just an extra sword but you can add your own little zing to the story as well in the dialogues) will be in effect, means that if you join someones personal quest, you can not only help them out but add to their story as well. (not change it but just spice it up more then if they were on their own)

That's not true, actually: group members can play along with your personal story, but only the person whose story it is will be allowed to make the dialogue choices.  That is the one exception, and any other part of the game that involves dialogue will allow group members make dice-rolls to choose who makes such decisions.

• Warshack1337Warshack1337 Member UncommonPosts: 39

this game needs to release so I can spend my moneys and live through the DARK SIDE lol

Join my guild..it will be awesome :P

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/52786/gaurdians-empire

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

*not looking cuz i have question/idea*

does each advanced class have its own storyline?

I want to own property too

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by gamer1982o39

*not looking cuz i have question/idea*

does each advanced class have its own storyline?

pretty sure they said no to that. If that's true than they will have to let people respec their advance class . At least I think they would.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

Quote: Advanced Classes do not have a direct impact on quests or storyline - Bioware

Closest we have to that.  From that it looks like you story is depicted on your choices in that story and your core class (IE smuggler, bounty hunter, Jedi knight, Sith Inquistor)

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by twrule

Originally posted by whilan

Add to the fact that multiplayer dialogue (which means your not just an extra sword but you can add your own little zing to the story as well in the dialogues) will be in effect, means that if you join someones personal quest, you can not only help them out but add to their story as well. (not change it but just spice it up more then if they were on their own)

That's not true, actually: group members can play along with your personal story, but only the person whose story it is will be allowed to make the dialogue choices.  That is the one exception, and any other part of the game that involves dialogue will allow group members make dice-rolls to choose who makes such decisions.

Thats what i meant by not being able to change it.  They can still add there little things to the game like a comment or two but when it comes down to changing the quest (ala making the important decision on killing that person or not) will still be down to the quest leader (the one doing the quest).

It's just that the people along with you, can add their little thing to it as well.

Say this happens for a clearer example as i'm afraid that could be misunderstood as well.

Lets say a person decides they want to help this guy kill 10 rats.

during the dialog  the quest person asks the player to kill some rats in his yard so he can get back to pitching a tent.

Now lets say a Jedi (the one getting the quest) and a smuggler (the second player...not the companion) decide to take on that kill 10 rats quest

Heres how an exchange like that would work out in swtor.

Quest giver: Greetings Jedi, i have a problem and noone seems to care enough to help me with it.  Some of the rats in the area have been infected with the dark side of the force and have begun to attack me whenever i enter it.  Can you go in there and take care of it for me?

Jedi: How did they manage to become infused with the dark side?

Quest Giver: How should i know, they  just attack me whenever i enter the area so it's obvious they are.

Jedi: I'm not so sure, perhaps you left something out and thats why they are attacking.

Quest Giver: Of course i haven't. Normal rats don't have large pointy teeth and eyes that glow red.

Smuggler: I don't know my last job required me to work for some people who fit that description as well.

Quest Giver and Jedi look at the smugglar for a few moments.

Quest Giver: Will you help me kill these rats or won't you

Jedi: yes i will, but seeing as this is a task that is beneath me i want double.

Quest Giver: Double!? for killing rats?

Jedi: Well yeah, i gotta pay him *points to the smuggler* as hes helping me do it.

Quest Giver: But thats not my fault you brought extra help.

Jedi: I could always...not help you.

Quest Giver: No no....*sighs* i do need them dead. Double and they're gone right?

Jedi: Right.

Quest Giver: Okay double, but make sure you do a extra good job.

Jedi: I will

Smugglar says while walking away: I could always leave some contraband in there if he doesn't pay us.

Basically the story is connect to the quest giver and the jedi, but the smuggler gives some witty banner.

Disclaimer, yes i'm a horrible writter, still i hope it got the point i was trying to make across.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by res_1

Story. Lots of story.

It's funny to see Bioware somewhat caught up in the MMO world, even referencing wow with one of their expansions.

I guess that's part of their job though. They have to know what's popular, and some of the history of these games.

Groovy.