Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"... a finely crafted dagger, stabbed deep into the chest of WoW..."

BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Disclaimer: This isn't a WoW comparison thread. There's already a main thread for that.

In your opinions, do you really think Rift has made that big of an impact on the market? Enough so that WoW (and other MMOs) will bleed subscribers?

The general idea I am picking up from the majority of opinions I see is that Rift is just something to do until something better comes along (insert GW2, TOR, Tera, Titan, etc). It's been said time and time again that Rift's strengths aren't its innovations, but that it does everything well, and that for once it feels like an MMO ready to be released.

What are your thoughts?

.. But in a good way.

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I dont think its done much of anything to WoW..

im sure its taken some subs away,but nothing considered anywhere near an impact.

and it seems that for as many people that like Rift, there is also a good lot that dont.

when I read that quote on the ad I lol'd

• HewraHewra Member UncommonPosts: 24

I think they use that quote just to get old wow players to get curious about the game.

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

Every game out there has either been something to hold you over till the next great thing or that "great" thing.  Every "next great thing" has ended up being a sad let down.  Let us look at FX14.  How we all were waiting for it.  It was the refinement of the genre.  Now its not even playable.

Let us look at Mortal online.  Let us look at Xyon. 

Atleast Rift is playable and beautiful.  

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

This has to be the dumbest catchphrase I have ever heard for a mmo. This ain't Coke vs Pepsi here...more like Coke vs RC. And here I was thinking that hyperbolic marketing was something above Trion's station...I should have known they'd try to top the "We're not in Azeroth..." bit.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Definitely a placeholder game for me, and I even left WOW to play it. (But I'm more of a DAOC fan than anything else)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by tank017

im sure its taken some subs away,but nothing considered anywhere near an impact.

and it seems that for as many people that like Rift, there is also a good lot that dont.

Warhammer Online took WoW subs away.  So did Aion.

Let me know how Rift's lookin' in 3 months.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Justarius1

Originally posted by tank017

Warhammer Online took WoW subs away.  So did Aion.

I think it's safe to assume that some people left WoW to play Rift, and on a long term basis. The question is, is that number big enough to justify being called a "dagger stabbed deep into the chest of WoW," or any other MMO for that matter.

.. But in a good way.

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

"...a finely crafted dagger, stabbed deep into the chest of WOW..."

which never penetrated the skin, because it was too dull.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by Aglaranna

had to laugh at that one  im sure blizzard  expected to lose some subs  blizzard have this wonderfull thing called the cash shop they will just bring out a new mount are pet and charge expansion pack fee like did last time

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by skullquaker

had to laugh at that one  im sure blizzard  expected to lose some subs  blizzard have this wonderfull thing called the cash shop they will just bring out a new mount are pet and charge expansion pack fee like did last time

Or maybe a little Mathosian and an Eth that both can be purchased as mini pets, and when you have them out once in a while it'll sigh a bit scared "I think we're not in Telara anymore" image

Also, the mini pets can be sacrificed and thrown to the enemy as flying bombs as diversion.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Blacknd

Disclaimer: This isn't a WoW comparison thread. There's already a main thread for that.

In your opinions, do you really think Rift has made that big of an impact on the market? Enough so that WoW (and other MMOs) will bleed subscribers?

The general idea I am picking up from the majority of opinions I see is that Rift is just something to do until something better comes along (insert GW2, TOR, Tera, Titan, etc). It's been said time and time again that Rift's strengths aren't its innovations, but that it does everything well, and that for once it feels like an MMO ready to be released.

What are your thoughts?

OP, your thread is in violation of the rules. As is clearly stated in the thread to which you have referred, any WoW/Rift comparissons, any WoW Killer threads are considered a violation of this rule. It's plain obvious that your thread falls in the Wow killer category. As a result, I have reported this thread :)

Touché, good one :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

"... a finely crafted dagger, stabbed deep into the chest of WoW..."

And then the hood falls, we see the face of the victim, and it turns out to be not WOW but EQ2. And we hear Scott Hartsman cry:

Noooooooo!

Meanwhile, WOW is wringing his hands in the corner of the alley, while SWTOR watches from atop a building, observant. After all: 

"The darkness consumes all it touches

Everything ends!"

:)

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

It was for me.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

The only real threat to WoW at this point is Blizzard and/or Ghostcrawler... ^^  Rift is an entertaining, well polished game to me. But then I'm not looking for the One True Game(tm) any more.  I also plan to try GW2, TOR and Firefall when they come out. They all look like fun. But they will not be the One True Game(tm) either.   Given how things have been going, I suspect that I'll be playing Rift for quite some time.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

I think it's safe to assume that some people left WoW to play Rift, and on a long term basis. The question is, is that number big enough to justify being called a "dagger stabbed deep into the chest of WoW," or any other MMO for that matter.

No one take a stab at Wow or Blizzard anymore even if they pull the plug on wow tomorrow themself, no other game will ever make more money then wow did.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No, the game is going to be moderately successful and is definitely here to stay however it isn't going to have any huge effects on any of the other larger population based mmos.  It certainly is going to be one that gets added to that list though.

The lasting effects this game will have is that for once consumers weren't completely let down by a company launching a new mmo (which hasn't happened much lately) and possibly motivate other companies to not have their heads so far up their asses when they decide to launch their game.  Trion took the time to listen to their consumers and ensure their product was ready to be realeased and because of this they are reaping the benefits of it. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Here let me help you guys out, the quote "Rift is a finely crafted dagger, stabbed deep into the chest of WOW..."  Was not something Rift or Trion said about their own game.   Its what a REVIEWER, website MPOGD  http://www.mpogd.com/ <- the reviewers website,  said about the game.

Reviewers can make any claim they like, Trion decided their quote sounded good so they made an ad with it in it.

Is it an accurate description of the game?  Perhaps, its an opinion, made by a third party reviewers website, so I'd say its more accurate than a wild claim made by a company about itself. 

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by fivoroth

What are your thoughts?

OP, your thread is in violation of the rules. As is clearly stated in the thread to which you have referred, any WoW/Rift comparissons, any WoW Killer threads are considered a violation of this rule. It's plain obvious that your thread falls in the Wow killer category. As a result, I have reported this thread :)

LOL hardly. Though there are some over eager mods locking threads just because WoW was mentioned, this subject is not a comparision.

Trion is clearly, and desperately trying to target WoW's player base. This is a fact. When they come up with cheesy and often silly one liners as part of their marketing campaign, of which, dont hint at WoW, they actually call it out, then no censorship should talk place to talk about the said advertisement.

Trion is pretty pathetic, they really are not off to a good start.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Here let me help you guys out, the quote "Rift is a finely crafted dagger, stabbed deep into the chest of WOW..."  Was not something Rift or Trion said about their own game.   Its what a REVIEWER, website MPOGD  http://www.mpogd.com/ <- the reviewers website,  said about the game.

Reviewers can make any claim they like, Trion decided their quote sounded good so they made an ad with it in it.

Is it an accurate description of the game?  Perhaps, its an opinion, made by a third party reviewers website, so I'd say its more accurate than a wild claim made by a company about itself. 

^^ This, I'm quoting it to make sure all those out there, like the one above my post, undersdtand that Trion is only quoting what outside reviewers are saying about thier game. They are not making these statements up themselves and using them as catch phrases. So please, stop saying thats what it is, because it is not. Trion has the right to use any public quote about thier game they feel makes for a good advertisement.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

No doubt about the fact wow is losing subs, but these kind of threads has to stop people.

I know Blizzards wow is the mmo to compare when you launch a game, but you cannot beat blizzard with just an mmo.

Let me say this:

Rock and Roll Racing ages ago created by Blizzard is where they made name from

Followed by Diablo 1 and 2 and Warcraft series 1 2 and 3

Starcraft anyone ?

Diablo 3 around the corner and Titan announcement within one of 1.5 years.

Dude Blizzard is the best game designer company left with only a few others.

Sure wow is losing subs man, the game is 6 years old rofl.....6 years of standing lonely at the top even with their main developers gone they still stand on top, albeit their subs are going down atm.

In 6 years time they breached any record on the mmo market and created a mmo for whole family's to play, WoW is main stream mmo and they boosted the mmo market to new heights.

I played wow since launch and quited in Cataclysm, no inovation just recycle contend or same old battlegrounds with boring honor grind etc etc.

Many people like me are burned out after playing for so long.

Doesnt take away the fact Blizzard created a mammoth that keeps walking even when Rift Aion WAR are down the tube.

They have a loyal fanbase that isnt going anywhere people :P

Its not Blizzards WoW only that keeps them playing.

Its Blizzard Enternainment and all the games they created over the past 20 years ?

Now if you young and dint game for so long you would understand it better i think, the youth from today is all about Whats HOT and whats NOT.

Today the youth hates and is frustrated it seems.

Bashing all but the game they play.

Jumping the bandwagon etc etc

Wow might be the one to blame a little i think, as it was never this bad 5 years ago.

WoW Cataclysm is in my opinion created for the new players who never touched wow or dint came further then the free trial they have.

From level 1 to 85 for new players is amazing, for old players its a been there done that for 6 years.

Blizzard might be betting on the wrong horse this time, maybe they should have focused on the old veterans instead of the newer players.

Time will tell, but Rift versus WoW ? come on  --_--

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Rift is already better than WoW in one way, the people who play it.

Those that play Rift are simply just flipping up the middle finger and saying 'ya, who cares, I like Rift, its fun, and I'm gonna play it'.

Those that play WoW are too busy trying to try and convince everyone WoW is still the man and everyne should be playing it instead.

Someday the WoW players will finally realize the truth, those that dont play WoW dont care anything about WoW. They dont want a comparison to WoW, they dont want to talk about WoW, they dont want to be told anything about WoW at all. They just want to play what they like and be left alone to do it.

I for one will be happy the day WoW is no longer concidered to be the center of discussion whenever the term MMO is brought up.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Mothanos

No doubt about the fact wow is losing subs, but these kind of threads has to stop people.

I know Blizzards wow is the mmo to compare when you launch a game, but you cannot beat blizzard with just an mmo.

Time will tell, but Rift versus WoW ? come on  --_--

I expect Rift will, for those who're tired of WoW and other MMO's (who wouldn't, after playing the same game for years?), be a nice bridge to when MMORPG's like GW2 and SWTOR will launch.

With 'just an mmo'? No, it won't be one MMO, it will be a Rift, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, ArcheAge and World of Darkness that will attract MMO gamers, andwhen your friends and guildies are moving en masse to one of those high quality AAA MMO's, then it'll be a tough decision to just stay behind in one of the older MMO's and hear their enthusiastic stories and fun gameplay experiences.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Originally posted by ScribZ

Someday the WoW players will finally realize the truth, those that dont play WoW dont care anything about WoW. They dont want a comparison to WoW, they dont want to talk about WoW, they dont want to be told anything about WoW at all. They just want to play what they like and be left alone to do it.

I for one will be happy the day WoW is no longer concidered to be the center of discussion whenever the term MMO is brought up.

and now check the topic.

Generation P

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by inBOIL

Originally posted by ScribZ

and now check the topic.

Alot will applaud.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Its simply to early to tell. Let's see how well the game is performing subscription wise in six to eight months. By then maybe we will have some idea as to what kind of impact (if any) Rift has had on the gaming industry as a whole.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "