Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 is better then ever except one thing

bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

The FREE Extended server is great, I play on it GOLD memberships and it has the highest player base on that server because of the free model. But what I hate is free players are not given a smidgen of freedom. It maybe FREE but certainly SOE blocks so much from the FREE user that it actually forces them to go SILVER or GOLD memberships or buy SC to unlock features.

My only thing I would like to see for FREE users is to give them upgrades every month of play to allow maybe 2 legendary uses and 1 fabled upgrade use for armor etc ( NON COMUNILATIVE , SO YOU CAN'T SAVE UPGRADED TO GET MAX LEVEL THEN HAVE FULL SET LEGENDARY OR FABLED USE. MAKE IT LEVEL RANGED EVERY 10 LEVELS) and raise gold use to 10p with 5 free broker buys per month, not selling though since that is a paid privilege that works well.

If they did this it would make the paid sub community better in many ways. It's like playing a game of golf with someone who is using 80 year old clubs and you have state of the art clubs, it just feels weird.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by bezado

The FREE Extended server is great, I play on it GOLD memberships and it has the highest player base on that server because of the free model. But what I hate is free players are not given a smidgen of freedom. It maybe FREE but certainly SOE blocks so much from the FREE user that it actually forces them to go SILVER or GOLD memberships or buy SC to unlock features.

My only thing I would like to see for FREE users is to give them upgrades every month of play to allow maybe 2 legendary uses and 1 fabled upgrade use for armor etc and raise gold use to 10p with 5 free broker buys per month, not selling though since that is a paid privilege that works well.

If they did this it would make the paid sub community better in many ways. It's like playing a game of golf with someone who is using 80 year old clubs and you have state of the art clubs, it just feels weird.

Well of course they do.

There is this idea that f2p games are "free". They are "free to play" but not "free to play everything at the same pace and have access to everything that a paid player would have".

This usually isn't a big deal for very casual players. It's the players who want to play like they would with any of their paid games who might find issue.

companies need to make money. These games don't grow on trees. They want you to eventually buy their product. It's up to the consumer if it's worth it to them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Sovrath

My only thing I would like to see for FREE users is to give them upgrades every month of play to allow maybe 2 legendary uses and 1 fabled upgrade use for armor etc and raise gold use to 10p with 5 free broker buys per month, not selling though since that is a paid privilege that works well.

Well of course they do.

There is this idea that f2p games are "free". They are "free to play" but not "free to play everything at the same pace and have access to everything that a paid player would have".

This usually isn't a big deal for very casual players. It's the players who want to play like they would with any of their paid games who might find issue.

companies need to make money. These games don't grow on trees. They want you to eventually buy their product. It's up to the consumer if it's worth it to them.

Well you missed the point, didn't say to make Free play totally free did I? Yes it is a game from a large company and they have to make money. My idea was to give some added upgraded per month. That does not make them any less money then it does now, it only gives free players some added upgrades.

And I disagree with you about the F2P model, there are tons of F2P games which you have almost total access and use of the games full workings, and only paid users gain small advantages not a full advantage that would make them superior to free players.

F2P doesn't have to have a bully type or should I say  TEASE you type of model. EQ2 is teasing and bullying their F2P model. This thread is about added upgraded for free users who are not subscribers and not about arguing over what F2P should be. If it was then your point would be valid in this thread.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well of course they do.

Well you missed the point, didn't say to make Free play totally free did I? Yes it is a game from a large company and they have to make money. My idea was to give some added upgraded per month. That does not make them any less money then it does now, it only gives free players some added upgrades.

And I disagree with you about the F2P model, there are tons of F2P games which you have almost total access and use of the games full workings, and only paid users gain small advantages not a full advantage that would make them superior to free players.

F2P doesn't have to have a bully type or should I say  TEASE you type of model. EQ2 is teasing and bullying their F2P model. This thread is about added upgraded for free users who are not subscribers and not about arguing over what F2P should be. If it was then your point would be valid in this thread.

Perhaps you should come over to the live servers and buy a real sub.  I love eq2, but I would never play the extended version.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

I agree with the above poster ... i rather play on live server than extended.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well of course they do.

Perhaps you should come over to the live servers and buy a real sub.  I love eq2, but I would never play the extended version.

That would work but one problem with that is lack of players. And as a returning player or starting out over again you won't get into a good raid guild on retail servers. That is why so many thousands of players have paid transfers to Extended Free server and kept Gold Membership because of player base and ability to get into raid guild quicker with faster rewards.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well of course they do.

no, I don't think I missed the point.

Why give free players some upgrades? One could say that it would be a great customer service move but then again Sony has always been a bit mercenary in their games and I can't see them giving much away for free.

As far as your assertion that there are free to play games that give you total accesss and use of the games full workings, I was specifically thinking of LOTRO when I wrote that. In LOTRO you can have access to the full game and workings but you have to take time to earn the turbine points. Parts of the game are unlocked once you redee  these points.

So "yes" you have access to the game but at a slower pace than someone who is paying a subscription. Unless you play a lot and wrack up those points.

So "no" you don't have access to everything a paid player has until you submit those turbine points.

Usually f2p games make it so that players will want to bypass certain things like various grinds so they make their game in such a way where the player is tempted to drop some money so they can level faster or get rid of a debuff or "whatever".

Maybe it would have been better to say but not "free to play everything at the same pace OR have access to everything that a paid player would have".

f2p games have to have some mechanism that entices players to pay. That is usally done by mitigating inconvenience or by unlocking content. And to some extent adding cosmetic items, mounts, etc.

If you know of a game other that gives the entire game to both paid and free players to level and experience it at the same pace without spending any money I'd love to know about it. I'd be curious to look at their system.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Well of course they do.

That would work but one problem with that is lack of players. And as a returning player or starting out over again you won't get into a good raid guild on retail servers. That is why so many thousands of players have paid transfers to Extended Free server and kept Gold Membership because of player base and ability to get into raid guild quicker with faster rewards.

Lol lack of players, shows you know nothing about guk, or ab.  We had a server merge.  I run 24 man pug rans 5-12 times a day there are plenty of folks playing.  And for 35 I think you can copy your toon over.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

EQ2 "Extended" sounds like an absolute nightmare. What exaclty is extended about it?

Also, how much must you hate yourself or others to play on the EQ2X servers? If one is unable to "afford" $15 a month for entertainment, then how does one even have a computer or the internet?

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Are the squabbles between Gold/Plat members and Bronze/Silver members over? There was a schism between the different memberships, with each one refusing to group up with the other and/or insulting how stupid the other one was that last time I was there.

I don't really want to worry about that kind of stuff when I play. On the Live servers, I don't have to: everyone is contributing money to the game company. I rather like that, and I don't feel pressured at all to look into the SC store on Live as I did on Extended.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by aeroplane22

EQ2 "Extended" sounds like an absolute nightmare. What exaclty is extended about it?

Extended profits for SOE by luring you in with the promise of being able to play "for free" and then taking the money that you didn't intend to spend, but now have to so you can actually play the game. Anyone who seriously thought SOE would give anything away for free is a mug. They are the lowest form of money-grabbing MMO publisher out there.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Can't agree more. I still can't beleave why you pay a sub (which is more expensive on EQ2X than on EQ2Live) and not get the whole game. It's instane that you can play all classes on gold, but not all races >:(

I've posted it before, and I'll post it again:

Really, EQ2X is more expensive subscription wise than EQ2Live. BEst drop EQ2X sub and join us on the live servers instead. Not to mention, you get veteran rewards there as well.

Sidenote for EU players... The EQ2Live sub is dropped by 50 cents/month, while EQ2X gold still is the old (and thus more expensive) price...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Im gold on extended and do 90 raiding too

that said, I agree that the live servers are a better deal

- you get veteran rewards and will never have to pay to unlock a race

I prefer extended because I have the option to stop paying monthly anytime -- and keep playing (w restrictions)  :)

• PyrettaBlazePyrettaBlaze Member Posts: 34

So to some of you EQ2 vets and newbies. With the servers merged are there many low levels in the p2p version? I've always really liked this game but stopped due to the world feeling empty. If I make a new charcter on Antonia Bayle or whatever the most populated server is, will I find newbies to team with???

Originally posted by PyrettaBlaze

So to some of you EQ2 vets and newbies. With the servers merged are there many low levels in the p2p version? I've always really liked this game but stopped due to the world feeling empty. If I make a new charcter on Antonia Bayle or whatever the most populated server is, will I find newbies to team with???

Yes somebody is always rolling a new alt.  we have this one person in guild who has 3 accounts  2 of those account consist of nothing but toons under the level of 20.

Some folks would lead you to believe we are dead, but far from it.

Now eq2x I don't know anything about,  I don't play there.  When you look at the chart it is cheeper to play on live then on extended.

I get my sub 6 months at a time.  Get nice ver rewards, have a nice house, and on my 5  level 90's most of them have master spells.   I would like to hear anybody on extended say that.

Yes somebody is always rolling a new alt.  we have this one person in guild who has 3 accounts  2 of those account consist of nothing but toons under the level of 20.

Now eq2x I don't know anything about,  I don't play there.  When you look at the chart it is cheeper to play on live then on extended.

I get my sub 6 months at a time.  Get nice ver rewards, have a nice house, and on my 5  level 90's most of them have master spells.   I would like to hear anybody on extended say that.

Ok cool, cheers. I appreciate the info. It has been a while. Couldn't hurt to check things out again. Oh and I'd never bother with the F2P version personally. If I'm playing an MMO I want access to everything. I was excited about Rift previously but I was rather disappointed with that game. I really did not enjoy the combat. Since then I've been looking for something else to meet my MMO needs. :P

Ok cool, cheers. I appreciate the info. It has been a while. Couldn't hurt to check things out again. Oh and I'd never bother with the F2P version personally. If I'm playing an MMO I want access to everything. I was excited about Rift previously but I was rather disappointed with that game. I really did not enjoy the combat. Since then I've been looking for something else to meet my MMO needs. :P

Since you already have the client all you would have to do is reup your sub.  I would go with the 30 day one until you can see if your happy or not.  15 bucks lol thats 2 trips too wendies. 

Im not on ab but on guk, and I can tell you folks are always online doing stuff.   We have a mix of folks from down under, to GB, France, and one of my really good friends is from Norway,  when hes home he plays almost 24/7 two weeks out of the month as he works on an oil rig.  I even know somebody from belgium, and 2 folks from Perth.  However most of the folks I know are est, and cst.

Since you already have the client all you would have to do is reup your sub.  I would go with the 30 day one until you can see if your happy or not.  15 bucks lol thats 2 trips too wendies. 

Im not on ab but on guk, and I can tell you folks are always online doing stuff.   We have a mix of folks from down under, to GB, France, and one of my really good friends is from Norway,  when hes home he plays almost 24/7 two weeks out of the month as he works on an oil rig.  I even know somebody from belgium, and 2 folks from Perth.  However most of the folks I know are est, and cst.

Well since I last played EQ2 I used a different computer. I still have my SOE account though and used it recently when I gave DCUO a try. With that being the case I guess I can simply re-activate the subsription and freely download the client? Would it be that easy? Also the last time I played was a few expansion packs ago. I think the one where they introduced that dragon like race.

Well since I last played EQ2 I used a different computer. I still have my SOE account though and used it recently when I gave DCUO a try. With that being the case I guess I can simply re-activate the subsription and freely download the client? Would it be that easy? Also the last time I played was a few expansion packs ago. I think the one where they introduced that dragon like race.

WEll if you dont have it on your comp any more it would be quite a download.  I would suposed you quit playing when kunakr came out thats 3 expansions back.  However the new expansion only content at high level and the new trees.

If you have a set of disks i would use those to instal and let the patcher work, if not then you can use your station launcher to download and use the streaming client.

But yes you would still use the same loging as your dcuo,  you would just go to station.com click your account tab and then subscriptions and go from there. You already have your payment method entered and an account.

I would look around for the download for you but I am headed to a meeting that will last probably the rest of the day. 

this is the trial download but they dont do trial anymore,  i thinnk it would patch after you resub.

http://www.fileplanet.com/160695/160000/fileinfo/EverQuest-2-Client-(14-day-free-trial)

Nah it's all good, I have some discs around somewhere. I appreciate the advice and information. :) I'll let you know how it all goes. Enjoy your meeting. :P

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Nadia

And you get monthly Legends of Norath boosters on EQ2 Live. Don't tell me that these boosters suck. I've already had a Unicorn mount (gave it to my rat necro :D) and the Gorowyn free house from them. Aside from those 2 I have lots of decorations left to claim from the LoN cards.

I prefer extended because I have the option to stop paying monthly anytime -- and keep playing (w restrictions)  :)

Perhaps one of the few (if not only) pro's of EQ2X over EQ2 Live.
    BTW, perhaps it's better for you to subscribe to EQ2 Live (subscribed to EQ2 Live also gives gold access to EQ2X) to get the LoN boosters and a chance for those goodies..? Also, if you subscribe for EQ2 Live, you can use the multi-month discount offers.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Reizla

BTW, perhaps it's better for you to subscribe to EQ2 Live (subscribed to EQ2 Live also gives gold access to EQ2X) to get the LoN boosters and a chance for those goodies..? Also, if you subscribe for EQ2 Live, you can use the multi-month discount offers.

Unless SOE changed things while I wasn't looking, subbing to EQ2 Live doesn't get you gold on EQ2X, the Station Pass subscription does.

Originally posted by Reizla

And you get monthly Legends of Norath boosters on EQ2 Live. Don't tell me that these boosters suck. I've already had a Unicorn mount (gave it to my rat necro :D) and the Gorowyn free house from them. Aside from those 2 I have lots of decorations left to claim from the LoN cards.

Perhaps one of the few (if not only) pro's of EQ2X over EQ2 Live.

Here is why I am staying on Extended. You still get free booster every month, you still have the option of playing the game if you decide to stop your sub (restricted) but you can still play. Raiding is good tons people raiding and competition. You sub to gold you can use all content and spells except you can't use some the other races which remain locked. Who cares about the races, you already have a toon why make a new one just to play a new race? So this benefit for live doesn't matter for Extended.

Extended has way more GOLD members then on live servers but on live like others have said the populations are still high since merges. But Extended they are higher. Also on Extended you can show new players around who are totally new to EQ2 and make them become a fan. Extended server offers you much more then live does if you look at it. Not saying Live is bad just saying we get the same benefits as Live but with some perks that make it better to stay here in the long run. Did I mention you can just cancel your sub and still play Extended (of course I did), many good things to staying here.

Extended also gives you 500 SC per month on GOLD membership and Live does not. You can collectively get to a new expansion amount of SC saved over a year on Extended and never buy another expansion again, just by using your saved SC you get monthly. Now that there is a pretty sweet deal in itself.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

EQ Extended is where the people are so thats alone makes it the best place to play. I dont play Everquest 2 anymore but I have played on both and I would rather pay my $15 a month on Extended where I can log into the game at any time of the day or night and see a server packed full of people running around everywhere doing everything. Everquest 2 regular server may have about 15 people in Antonica but then on Extended you got about 5 different instances of Antonica full of people. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Extended also gives you 500 SC per month on GOLD membership and Live does not.

maybe its changed but I dont think paying monthly as a Gold member gives you any SC

you may be be confusing the 500 sc credit with what buying any EQ2 expansion gives you  -- for all players (EQ2 and EQ2x)

Extended also gives you 500 SC per month on GOLD membership and Live does not.

maybe its changed but I dont think paying monthly as a Gold member gives you any SC

you may be be confusing the 500 sc credit with what buying any EQ2 expansion gives you  -- for all players (EQ2 and EQ2x)

No idea, I got 500 sc free on all my accounts and I never bought a expansion, this came at the begining of new month sub.