Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefox 4... What do you think?

BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well Firefox 4 has released and I've been playing around with it for the last few days. So far I think it's a huge step forward for Mozilla in the browser wars(Yes. they aren't over yet...lol). The first thing I noticed was how much I disliked the new way it's set up but the Chrome people will like it as it has a very similar look and feel with a few noticable improvements like Tabs on top and the addition of an 'Add-on Bar' at the bottom where the status bar formally was. I changed mine to more resemble Firefox 3 which only took about 2 minutes to accomplish.

The second thing I noticed is how blazingly fast this thing loads pages! It's about 10 times faster on page loads than Firefox 3 was. Also it accepted all of my old add-ons/extentions after only having to update 2 of them to the newer versions. All of my settings/bookmarks were transfered as well and intergrated with the new version seamlessly. So far I'm greatly impressed with this new version. Nicely done Mozilla!

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

Comments

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

At first I wasn't sure that I liked it, since they relocated most of the browser buttons etc. Then I figured out how to rearrange them to my liking. I haven't really noticed much in the way of loadtime improvements, but it does run much better on my older computers, due to it eating less memory and CPU.

Some neat features I've noticed:

Paste and go in both the search and URL bars

Highlight a link that no one did the HTML for and select "Open/in new tab/in new window" is really nice.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

I hate the new UI - I tweaked it a bit but it still isn't FF3.

Slight speed improvment.

I fucking hate that when right clicking a link, they moved "open in new tab" from the second option to the first. Habit makes me go to the second option (open in new window) and I am getting annoyed. Fuckers.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

A little update. I just installed it on my netbook that runs 32 bit Windows 7 and right away noticed that the page load times are not nearly as snappy as they are in 64 bit Windows 7 on my laptop. So if you are running a 32 bit system (Windows XP, Vista and some versions of 7) the faster page loading times will be a lot less noticable.

Dekron, I too was quite annoyed by the interface changes at first but after some tweeking I got it so it's comfortable for me. No it's not exactly like Version 3 but it's close enough for me to be passable. I remember being quite annoyed by the changes in version 3 when it first released as well but given time I started to really like it. I think version 4 will be the same.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by Dekron

Slight speed improvment.

I fucking hate that when right clicking a link, they moved "open in new tab" from the second option to the first. Habit makes me go to the second option (open in new window) and I am getting annoyed. Fuckers.

Click with mousewheel/middle button opens in new tab. It's much quicker.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by pyrofreak

Originally posted by Dekron

Slight speed improvment.

Click with mousewheel/middle button opens in new tab. It's much quicker.

Well, shit.

Herp derp. Thanks for helping the tard. image

• ArbadacarbaArbadacarba Member Posts: 304

I was apprehensive to upgrade; and, overall, I see no immediate improvements (I hope, at least, security has been improved).

I got the display back to normal so now I just have to remember not to mindlessly select the top option when I right-click on a link to open it into a new tab.

4.0 seems to lag more than 3.6, when opening new webpages. So the whole experience, overall has been negative. I do not notice anything for the better...

It reminds me of the idiocy of microsoft's "progress" with Windows and Word.