Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm looking to buy a new gaming computer...

VespuraVespura Member Posts: 71

I was on newegg.com and I was looking for some cheap but decent gaming desktops. I found one that is pretty decent (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227267&cm_re=ibuypower-_-83-227-267-_-Product), but it's an iBUYPOWER.

I have heard that iBUYPOWER was extremely untrustworthy, that it's pretty much a 50/50 chance that your computer will be able to actually turn on when it arrives, and that they have terrible customer service. Is this true?

Also, if I were yo buy from newegg, would it ship from newegg or ibuypower and whos customer service would I have to deal with if a problem were to occur?

If you disaggree with me buying this pc, then any suggestions?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

You would have to go through Newegg, although they will likely put you through to iBuyPower.

Newegg Computer Return Policy
    Computer Replacement Only Return Policy
    Return for refund within: non-refundable
    Return for replacement within: 30 days
    This is our Computer Replacement Only Return Policy. Items covered by this policy (those products for which Newegg states "This item may be returned for a replacement within 30 days only") must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:
    Any desktop PC, notebook or tablet PC that is free from defects in materials or workmanship
    Any desktop PC, notebook or tablet PC that has physical damage due to abuse or improper use
    Any desktop PC, notebook or tablet PC that is missing any accessories or packaging including, but not limited to, AC adapter, battery, pack, manuals, carrying case (if any)
    A defective Desktop PC, Notebook, or Tablet PC that is returned for a replacement may be repaired or replaced in Newegg's sole discretion, unless otherwise required by law. While we strive to adhere to our own standard RMA processing times, we cannot guarantee that these times will be met, especially in situations where the item must be sent to the manufacturer for repair. If you have a question regarding returning a Desktop PC, Notebook, or Tablet PC, please contact our Customer Service Department.

Some computer systems will require pre-authorization from the manufacturer technical support in order for an RMA to Newegg to be authorized.

You should be certain in your decision to purchase a Desktop PC/Notebook/Tablet PC and must agree to this policy before completing your order. By confirming your order, you indicate your agreement to this policy.

That said, most people on this site are going to tell you to just build your own, or barring your comfort level with that, go directly through to a reputable computer builder.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

They don't tell you what power supply they use.

Or the motherboard.

Or the hard drive.

Or the memory voltage.

Or the type of memory on the video card.

Want to buy a pig on a poke?  Those things matter, and if they won't tell you, it's not because it's super awesome and they want to keep it a secret.  If they won't tell you particular specs, it's probably because they're cutting corners there and don't want you to know.  To make a respectable gaming machine out of it, at minimum, you'd probably have to replace the power supply and video card.

If you're willing to build your own system, then you could get something much nicer for cheaper.  It's not really any harder to plug in cables on the inside of the case than the outside, so if you can set up the mostly prebuilt machine once it arrives, then you could build your own if so inclined.  If you don't know what to do, then the motherboard and case will come with very detailed instructions.

If you don't know what parts to get, then that's what we're here for.  Name a budget and I could pick out parts for you that would get you a much nicer gaming computer than the one you linked.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Don't trust any company that doesn't give you detailed specifications about their systems.  You should be able to see exactly what goes into the machine and be able to look up those parts on review sites, like tomshardware.com to determine if they are worth getting and or worth the price they're charging.

Even if you have never built your own system, it's easy to get started.  Go to any computer enthusiast website and they will give you all the basic and advanced information you need to get started.  I learned to build systems by doing it.  Read the manuals.  You can build a much better system for a fraction of the price.

Go to sites like pricewatch.com that help you compare prices.  Go to tomshardware.com to help you decide what components are appropriate for you and are the most cost effective as well as for performance comparisons between name brands.

Even the more reputable PC building companies take shortcuts to maximize profits and still charge you three times the normal retail price for their components and pre-built systems.  Even if you can find one that is fairly honest, they still usually put in proprietary components, like cases with built in power supplies, or configuring 4 x 1GB memory modules instead of 2 x 2GB modules so you can upgrade memory without having to completely replace what you already have, making it difficult or more expensive to make upgrades or changes in the future.