Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played, never will because

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

After WoW and the last two years I've played many of the mmo's on the list.  Most suck, some hold my attention for a few months (Vanguard, D&D Online, even EQ2, a few others).

However Age of Conan, has a first 20 level solo play criteria that must be done first. Now this turns me off completely from giving the game a chance. Sure like most people I solo a new mmo for the first few levels, but I still interact with others in someway anyway. AS SOON AS I CAN I LIKE TO GROUP but thats just me and that's why I can't even try AoC.

What were they thinking when they made this game with 20 levels of solo ?..........Was it a marketing trick to keep everyone separated so people can't compare ?.......Maybe not, but why ?

I played Witchers, and Dragon Age, as good as these solo games are, I quit after just a few days of loneliness.

How about the free trial,  is it solo play only ?

Comments

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I think you need to go read up on AoC some more because you are very wrong.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

I think you need to go read up on AoC some more because you are very wrong.

That's cool, could you please tell me why ?

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

There is quiet abit group content on lvl 1-20, might even be more now but i havent played in awhile. Basicly you get some quests, that require you to go to the inn and sleep, then you will wake up at night time then everything is instanced and solo, i think you can skip alot of these if not all and just stay in daytime and you will be in the normal zones with other people.

But the solo quests dont take too long tough if you wanna do them, after lvl 1-20 the zones are normal with loads of people around. they are instanced tough, but i think the cap for each zones is like 100 or 200, not sure now havent played in awhile.

The free trial is from lvl 1-20 you should check it out, its pretty good imo. Fully voiced quests aswell from lvl 1-20. Rest of the game is great too, i dont like how zoned the world is tough, i prefer a open world like vanguard, or atleast have continents open like WoW.

edit: added some stuff.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

Originally posted by Proson

There is quiet abit group content on lvl 1-20, might even be more now but i havent played in awhile. Basicly you get some quests, that require you to go to the inn and sleep, then you will wake up at night time then everything is instanced and solo, i think you can skip alot of these if not all and just stay in daytime and you will be in the normal zones with other people.

But the solo quests dont take too long tough if you wanna do them, after lvl 1-20 the zones are normal with loads of people around. they are instanced tough, but i think the cap for each zones is like 100 or 200, not sure now havent played in awhile.

The free trial is from lvl 1-20 you should check it out, its pretty good imo. Fully voiced quests aswell from lvl 1-20. Rest of the game is great too, i dont like how zoned the world is tough, i prefer a open world like vanguard, or atleast have continents open like WoW.

Thanks,

Sounds like there is some interactive in the first 20 levels.  However, the free trial is only the semi interactive part. This does not really show the game.  I'm not a free trial junkie, I'm always looking to really play and be part of.

• AutofireXIIIAutofireXIII Member Posts: 35

Yes, just to re-iterate:

You login to the game, and the first 30 minutes of gameplay are solo following a quest. Then you get to Tortage where 90% of the quests are in places where you see others. Only the night quest,s of which you only have to do about 7-8 are "solo" and that's because it relates specifically to your character and you getting off the island and heading to your home city.

I've personally played tortage through 4-5 times and really like how it's done. It's all well and good to hang with others, and I love to group.. but the night quests would seem weird if you ran around doing parts of your personal story with others camping areas to do the exact same thing.

Autofire

You do get a feel of the game playing the trial, you can do pvp if you want, group quests, solo quests etc. Only diffrence from first 20 lvls and after is that after lvl 20 the zones are much bigger, more group stuff and dungeons, there is a dungeon or two in lvl 1-20 aswell. Also quests are not voiced after lvl 20 but this is no huge deal imo, the voiced over quests are nice but they dont make or break the game in any way.

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

level 1-20 is fun

I like to play on PvP servers usually, but in conan you wind up with level 80's camping the starter areas.  Can be quite frustrating, and not really what PvP is about.

AoC is fun, and if they would of made the whole game voiced it would of made up for the downturn it takes after level 20.

I got so excited about the mix of solo story quests and open adventures during the day, that when I hit the next area it was a little bit of a letdown, not to mention the linear spread out zones, and the requirement to run half the zone if you die, which meant going through all the mobs you just fought.

To me, there was quite a bit of potential to make up for some of the negative aspects, or rather drawbacks, but it seems as if they only really made a level 20 game, with a bunch of mini games and grinding after.

AoC= a game I so want to love, but I just cant bring myself too

(just my opinion, and my experience)

**********I havent made it that far past level 20 due to the let down I experienced after the end of voiced quests********

would it of been such a let down had I never experienced what the game was like with voice overs?  we'll never know.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

^ The voiced over quests meant that much too you? tbh i skipped most of it, i forced myself to try and listen to the story on my second alt :P i enjoyed them and listend to some of it normally but skipped very much, dont care that much for the story, just wanna play.

Edit: Tough in DCUO i listend to all of it, but thats prolly cause om a DC fan, Conan universe is cool but i dont care for that story, mostly the violence :)

^ The voiced over quests meant that much too you? tbh i skipped most of it, i forced myself to try and listen to the story on my second alt :P i enjoyed them and listend to some of it normally but skipped very much, dont care that much for the story, just wanna play.

I know its crazy, but what can I say.  The combat was bad ass, even the story was.   I think what it is, was that it built these grand expectations in my head, only to not fulfill them.   This is part of my dilema with gaming as of lately.  However I slightly blame marketing as they play into it.

However, when all is said and done, to me, AoC is a watered down version of what it could have been.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is 18 levels, but you don't have to solo all of them. You will need to solo a few missions, the rest you can run in party with other people, it will speed things up a lot and is a lot more fun. Usually people run most of it in 3 person team or so.

AoCs problem is more that there isn't much of a good dungeon until you are lvl 35. That is kinda sad because at least some of AoCs dungeons are really fun.

There are still group quests and heroic mobs but I would like some earlier dungeons anyways.

I am not sure if the trial is up to lvl 20 or just time based, but it is actually worth a try.

Tortage is about 6 hours, maybe 8. 1-2 of those have to be soloed. And one of them more or less have to be grouped, that ruin zone is a B**** to solo the entire zone.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by page

After WoW and the last two years I've played many of the mmo's on the list.  Most suck, some hold my attention for a few months (Vanguard, D&D Online, even EQ2, a few others).

However Age of Conan, has a first 20 level solo play criteria that must be done first. Now this turns me off completely from giving the game a chance. Sure like most people I solo a new mmo for the first few levels, but I still interact with others in someway anyway. AS SOON AS I CAN I LIKE TO GROUP but thats just me and that's why I can't even try AoC.

What were they thinking when they made this game with 20 levels of solo ?..........Was it a marketing trick to keep everyone separated so people can't compare ?.......Maybe not, but why ?

No offence, but you complain about AoC having solo-content while you played WoW..? If one MMO out there is a solo-game from nearly the start, then it's WoW for sure :-D

Anyhow... AoC has a couple of nice group quests in the lower regions (more at the higher regions), and every map can be played normal or EPIC. When you choose EPIC, you really need a good group to move around the map ;-)

Originally posted by lectrocuda

I know its crazy, but what can I say.  The combat was bad ass, even the story was.   I think what it is, was that it built these grand expectations in my head, only to not fulfill them.   This is part of my dilema with gaming as of lately.  However I slightly blame marketing as they play into it.

However, when all is said and done, to me, AoC is a watered down version of what it could have been.

Yea you have some good points,  would have been better withh voiced over quests all the way, like alot of games are doing today (DCUO, SWTOR, prolly some others i dont know about) As for the solo parts tough, remember in early beta it was 95% solo in Tortage and people wanted it more open, so if they had alot of solo stuff all the way too 80 i dont think people would like that.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Thanks,

Sounds like there is some interactive in the first 20 levels.  However, the free trial is only the semi interactive part. This does not really show the game.  I'm not a free trial junkie, I'm always looking to really play and be part of.

It is funny.  The reason some people didn't stay subbed is they liked the first part so much and then it turned into a more traditional MMO and they hated the change.

I found going through Tortage a lot of fun. . once.  The second time it was interesting to see the story line from another perspective.  I just could not do it a third time though.

Think if it as a semi single player part that you get through very quickly. . similar to the tutorials in Vanguard stuck together.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by lectrocuda

Yea you have some good points,  would have been better withh voiced over quests all the way, like alot of games are doing today (DCUO, SWTOR, prolly some others i dont know about) As for the solo parts tough, remember in early beta it was 95% solo in Tortage and people wanted it more open, so if they had alot of solo stuff all the way too 80 i dont think people would like that.

I actually prefer group content, so i am kind of in a paradox when it comes to gaming. I think AoC is definetley a step above wow as far as the genre is concerned. For one you have to pay attention during combat, however I never got into macros so I cant say if that would make it more on line with WOW.

The main thing is, as far as the OP is concerned, you can pretty much group most of the starter area, and the night time quests are only about an hour or so, if that.  Final advice from me: try it, it just might be what you've been looking for.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I found going through Tortage a lot of fun. . once.  The second time it was interesting to see the story line from another perspective.  I just could not do it a third time though.

Think if it as a semi single player part that you get through very quickly. . similar to the tutorials in Vanguard stuck together.

I hear you, a single starting area is far too little in a MMO, making alts is a pain.

My general problem with AoC have always been that it feels like the game only have half the content it should have. Even with the expansion are there still many level ranges they should have filled more.

I don't like the arrow system also. The collision detection and the fact that you don't need to target stuff is great but the arrows is a bad compromize between the original idea and regular MMO combat.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Tortage gives a really good impression of the real game imo.

Especially combatwise. Make no mistake, you basically have three classes in this game:

- Melee class that can take a beating and take 3, 4 mobs at once

- Melee class that can't take a beating and take 3, 4 mobs at once (because it does more damage)

- Melee class that can't take a abeating and take 1 or 2 mobs at once

Every class in this game has AE attacks, because every attack is automatically AE, every class has CCs, every class can dish out damage and every class in this game needs to melee combat, no kiting for nobody.

If you're that kind of guy who liked playing casters in any sense of the word, you're screwed in AoC =)

M

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

I played Witchers, and Dragon Age, as good as these solo games are, I quit after just a few days of loneliness.

How about the free trial,  is it solo play only ?

level 1 - 5 ~10-20 min of gameplay  is solo, for the rest you're allowed to group up and what ever you want to do :)

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

The main story quests kept the voice over if my memory is right, and it's not as bad as some people say. If you explore a lot you will find all the respawn points in a zone making it easy to get back to where you were when you die. The game is really programmed around you going and finding where things are. Crafting in AoC needs a complete overhaul though, it was just way to little of it in my opinion, and the only places to learn it are in wide open areas with random enemies spawning on you all the time.  Which actually makes the area pretty good to grind in as long as you avoid the high level leather mobs that are in some places.  I haven't played since the expansion so I can't comment on how that changed the game, but just on the old games merrits it was a solid mmo.

Now as a Conan fan the game was a let down for me, they really had a full world at their hands that all they had to do was program in th world if they had wanted to. Instead they tweaked it with their own people that they made up and had writters create for the world. It made it harder for me to enjoy the game, as it felt like they were messing with an established and very old ip for the worst, but that is just me.

Hay thanks everyone,

I guess it's not as bad as I imagined.  I'm suffering from a little mmo burnout right now, add to the fact that I'll be on the road traveling until the end of April.  When I come home I'll probably pick the game up, as I seen it on sale at target yesterday for $9.99.

Now I'm fooling around with Wizard101.  It's kind of a kids game, and it's turn based, but It's a great breakup for if you have mmo burn out........However it's just a hold over game until I return, then AoC.

So thanks for all the input :)

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

To clear up a couple of points:

Officially it's called the Lvl 1 - 20 forever free trial, but all that really means is you can't leave Tortage until you sub.  There's no time limit on playing in Tortage and you can actually make it up to lvl 24 before it max's out and stops experience advancement.

The solo parts are the night time Destiny quests; you're personal story.  After you leave Tortage the next one is at 40? and then another and then the final at lvl 80.  All other Tortage play is daytime with others so you can group all you want.

Pvp has been totally removed from the Tortage area so you won't be able to check it out unless you sub and leave the island.

Compared to some other games the quest write up's are nicely done.  Not too long and you have multiple replies you can pick which will branch the NPC's dialoge in different directions which is fun to play with.

While the trial gives you a taste of what the game could be like, make no mistake, the trial area is superior to the actual game.  Sad but fairly true.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter