Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does combat work?

xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I understand there isn't Auto-attack (thank god), but how is normal attack carried out? is it gonna be hotkey? cos I never mastered how to move left when trying to press 1 to attack lol, not to mention for normal attack which I have to constantly use

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by xKingdomx

I understand there isn't Auto-attack (thank god), but how is normal attack carried out? is it gonna be hotkey? cos I never mastered how to move left when trying to press 1 to attack lol, not to mention for normal attack which I have to constantly use

The way it's described in the jedis case you hit 1 once, and it swings 3 times and does some damage.  Thats about all the normal attack does.  Just does some damage.  I wouldn't say your moving around all the time, mostly just to adjust if a enemy moves behind a barrier or if you yourself need to move behind one as well. 

They also stated theres a short time before one skill finishes where you can queue another so it looks good.  (no stopping basically).  But yeah, other then that, pressing 1 just causes you to do a simple normal attack.  Though you use this attack in combination with the others, It's more about what to use when then how many times you use the same skill.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

i have short fingers, and a long time had problems with toomany keybinds...

not any longer :D

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169418900/parentCategoryID.35208800/categoryId.54536600

yeah, kind of commertial, i know, but i simply love "my baby" ;)

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by whilan

The way it's described in the jedis case you hit 1 once, and it swings 3 times and does some damage.  Thats about all the normal attack does.  Just does some damage.  I wouldn't say your moving around all the time, mostly just to adjust if a enemy moves behind a barrier or if you yourself need to move behind one as well. 

They also stated theres a short time before one skill finishes where you can queue another so it looks good.  (no stopping basically).  But yeah, other then that, pressing 1 just causes you to do a simple normal attack.  Though you use this attack in combination with the others, It's more about what to use when then how many times you use the same skill.

does that mean theres no strafing? would have thought there would be as anyone who isnt a jedi does use a ranged weapon of some kind, and... in melee circle strafing is usually the tactic of choice, in pvp at least.. so moving while fighting isnt something you don't do much of.. its something you do a hell of a lot.. the only time you wouldnt be moving, is if your using a ranged weapon and taking cover, and even then, moving from cover to cover to gain tactical advantage..  image

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by Hekke29

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169418900/parentCategoryID.35208800/categoryId.54536600

For the same price you can get something even more useful.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

i have http://shop.steelseries.com/index.php/keyboards/merctm-stealth-illuminated-gaming-keyboard.html for almost 2 years now... left hand isnt best choice for me ;) bonus buttons on the mouse made hell of a difference :)

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by ghost047

Originally posted by Hekke29

For the same price you can get something even more useful.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123

I tried the Logitech in a friends home and i say this: the cockpit of an Airbus A380 must be a lot easier to master.

Originally posted by Phry

does that mean theres no strafing? would have thought there would be as anyone who isnt a jedi does use a ranged weapon of some kind, and... in melee circle strafing is usually the tactic of choice, in pvp at least.. so moving while fighting isnt something you don't do much of.. its something you do a hell of a lot.. the only time you wouldnt be moving, is if your using a ranged weapon and taking cover, and even then, moving from cover to cover to gain tactical advantage..  image

Well it depends on how tatical you want to be.  You most certinally can stafe in the game and can fire while your moving, if the situatoin presents itself, its just in most cases, take the jedi for example  it's more about what skills you use while your fighting then positioning.  Classes like the bounty hunter are more about looking down a target with carbonite spray to disable the target.

The classes i can see moving around a lot in game are the Imperail agent and smuggler to be honest.  But most of them are moving to get cover.  I'm most certainly sure that while in PvP you are going to be moving around quite a bit.  My example was only meant for PvE circumestances.

Some skills will hold ou down while you attack like the force lighting, but things like run and gun (which by mere title) allow oyu to move while your firing.  Though that doesn't mean you can just kite people as most  anyone can close the gap if they do it right.  Again i see this game as more of a tatical (not turn based mind you) then positiional and how fas you can move.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

The only reason i'm bringing this thread up again is because a dev apparently responded to something that the OP might be interested in, here is the quote: 

GeorgZoeller

General Discussion -> Different view on auto-attack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heliwyr

Actually, right-click was bound to the Hotkey Slot 1 at PAX, which may or may not be your basic attack.

That's exactly what it does right now.

Hope that helps.

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Any chance the sentiment will be "just good"?

I want to own property too

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

combat is like Vindictus, left/right button, space bar, strafe(dodge) and combo(combination of buttons, street fighter my friend).  i think  this is better right? i fall asleep in 5 mins if i have to spam hotbar (button 1-10).

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by binary_0011

combat is like Vindictus, left/right button, space bar, strafe(dodge) and combo(combination of buttons, street fighter my friend).  i think  this is better right? i fall asleep in 5 mins if i have to spam hotbar (button 1-10).

What exactly would you rather have?  I don't know about "most" games, but pretty much every one I have played has had a similar mechanic.  Why?  Because there is only so many ways you can do combat before it is "Click one button and the entire mob dies from your awesome combo!" 

Seriously, do you expect your computer to read your mind?  Maybe you should stand in the center of a video capture room with the blue suit and golf balls all over you so the game follows your exact moves? (Granted, that would help with the obesity problems a lot of gamers have.  No not you, the other gamer.)

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by GMan3

What exactly would you rather have?  I don't know about "most" games, but pretty much every one I have played has had a similar mechanic.  Why?  Because there is only so many ways you can do combat before it is "Click one button and the entire mob dies from your awesome combo!" 

Seriously, do you expect your computer to read your mind?  Maybe you should stand in the center of a video capture room with the blue suit and golf balls all over you so the game follows your exact moves? (Granted, that would help with the obesity problems a lot of gamers have.  No not you, the other gamer.)

Well, strangely enough, from the way it sounds,  its like they are blending the two styles together, for more of an action style of play.  You have a standard attack on your RMB and left click can execute other skills on your bar (or you can use hotkeys such as 1-0),  you'll be moving from cover and behind cover,  you'll be planning out attacks and moves,  and utilizing the environment such as barrels.   

Its not quite vindictus,  but its not WoW either... minus, maybe that you will have to use a hotbar and execute skills.   Being mindful of your surroundings, your abilities, and your underlying class mechanic sounds like it will change the flow enough from character to character to not make people "fall asleep in 5 minutes"

• Originally posted by maskedweasel

Well, strangely enough, from the way it sounds,  its like they are blending the two styles together, for more of an action style of play.  You have a standard attack on your RMB and left click can execute other skills on your bar (or you can use hotkeys such as 1-0),  you'll be moving from cover and behind cover,  you'll be planning out attacks and moves,  and utilizing the environment such as barrels.   

Its not quite vindictus,  but its not WoW either... minus, maybe that you will have to use a hotbar and execute skills.   Being mindful of your surroundings, your abilities, and your underlying class mechanic sounds like it will change the flow enough from character to character to not make people "fall asleep in 5 minutes"

just to clarify this point, right click is bound to first slot so only does basic attack if thats what you have in first slot.  one of the members of a fansite said he kept healing himself by accident when right clicking while playing the smuggler because a heal was in the one slot

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by maskedweasel

just to clarify this point, right click is bound to first slot so only does basic attack if thats what you have in first slot.  one of the members of a fansite said he kept healing himself by accident when right clicking while playing the smuggler because a heal was in the one slot

Good to know,  I think champions had something similar to this, where the thing in the one slot would have the choice to be an auto attack,  but not necessarily slotted to a button necessarily.  

To have a different attack slotted on your mouse buttons might be smart idea in some cases depending on the mechanic and spec of your character,  like a healer, for instance.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by maskedweasel 

It's evolution of WoW system, majority of skills are channeled(for example basic attack is 3 hits in melee) which means you don't have to smash buttons all time(moving doesn't break all channeled skills) but since there is no auto-attack you have to use some skill all time. Also your next skill is queued so you plan bit ahead. Vindictus system sounds lot like one in AoC. Both have pros and cons. For example in AoC if you were healer or ranged you hardly used those attack buttons. Also isn't Vindictus those pseudo-MMO where everything is instanced? Solves lack problem but brings tons of other.