Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elin race censored/westernized.

24567

Comments

  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

    Different treatments, huh?

    I guess they're just doing some prevention against a possible lawsuit because someone supposedly turned a pedophile by playing online games.

  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 483

    Originally posted by Robokapp

    Originally posted by Sovrath


    Originally posted by Robokapp

    the number of molested virtual girls is indeed alarming and the virtual rights community should never stand for this.

     

    /facepalm

    Duly noted, you have no problem seeing sexualized little girls. Not everyone in every place shares your open mindedness on this topic and for the most part feel that children (or anything representing a child) never be sexualized.

     I understand. but I also think of why...and it's because its harmful to the child. But in this case the child does not exist...so without a victim there's  no crime.

     

    If they chose to gave their young race a real armor set from the start...the kind of armor someone would actually wear in combat not in a strip club...I'd have no problem. But having it edited for the West to me is insulting. It tells me that we're seen (and rightfully so) as uncapable to handle the full effect the artists are trying to send with the artstyle.

     

    paintings, songs, movies and any other artistical expressions should never be censored imo. I dont think the message of the artist can properly be communicated through censorship.

     

    After being born on the east of the Wall, I've seen enough censorship for a lifetime.

    I see some of your points in this post regarding censorship, but there comes a time where they need to draw the line and I think this is one of those times. I don't feel it ruins the artistic expression at all, simply by adding more clothes. Don't get me wrong I am no prude or anything, but in this case I feel censorship does have it's place. I have absolutely no issue with any other race in Tera.

     

  • theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

    SW:TOR has nude Wookies as well. The sheer perversity!

    Always read the small print.

  • TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

    Originally posted by syntax42

    It looks like a young girl.  I don't see anything wrong with putting more clothes on her.  Maybe a pedobear would have issues with the change.  Here is an image for comparison that I found by doing a quick Google search.

     

    I can totally see what people are getting at. Removing the ears, what the heck!?

    Eleanor Rigby.

  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

    Originally posted by syntax42

    Originally posted by stayontarget

    What's weird is you can watch spongebob walk around in his underware on the cartoon channel and that is totally good to go.......go figure :/

    Spongebob does not look like a 7-year-old girl.  He's a sponge.  They could make him nude as long as they don't draw reproductive organs.  Its like drawing animals nude.  Ever watch cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Looney Tunes, Ren & Stimpy, or basically anything pre-1995 with animals in it?

     

    Too many people get offended by any form of censorship.  When it is used to protect children, it is definitely justified to censor it.  When it is used on adult content that only adults are supposed to be able to view, then you have the right to be offended.  Stop crying about an image of a child being given more clothes.  Would you really allow your daughter to wear something like that to school?

    Elin's are taken from Korean & Japanese anime cartoons and not children.  lol

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

    Originally posted by Robokapp

    I wonder why that armor is less acceptable than this outfit:

     

    http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Alicia-Sacramone/Alicia-Sacramone-1114558.jpg

     

    or any other outfit of the under-18 gymnastics teams. Because the tera model actually wears more clothes than a gymnast does. And its a virtual character not a real person.

    That's an athlete, not an image in a video game.  She has to wear that to perform her sport.  When they get done with their routine, they put on a sports suit over that.  Have you ever tried doing gymnastics in baggy clothes?  How about jogging or swimming in a trench coat that is on over your street clothes?  Would you go out in public (to school or the mall) wearing a bathing suit?  Appropriate clothes are used in appropriate situations.  The TERA girl being covered up is appropriate because she should not be fighting half-naked.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,959

    Originally posted by Robokapp

    Originally posted by Sovrath


    Originally posted by Robokapp

    the number of molested virtual girls is indeed alarming and the virtual rights community should never stand for this.

     

    /facepalm

    Duly noted, you have no problem seeing sexualized little girls. Not everyone in every place shares your open mindedness on this topic and for the most part feel that children (or anything representing a child) never be sexualized.

     I understand. but I also think of why...and it's because its harmful to the child. But in this case the child does not exist...so without a victim there's  no crime.

     

    If they chose to gave their young race a real armor set from the start...the kind of armor someone would actually wear in combat not in a strip club...I'd have no problem. But having it edited for the West to me is insulting. It tells me that we're seen (and rightfully so) as uncapable to handle the full effect the artists are trying to send with the artstyle.

     

    paintings, songs, movies and any other artistical expressions should never be censored imo. I dont think the message of the artist can properly be communicated through censorship.

     

    After being born on the east of the Wall, I've seen enough censorship for a lifetime.

    I can appreciate that and I can tell you that as a writer/composer (artist) I don't believe in censorship either.

    I've seen some beautiul and slightly disturbing paintings or "young" teen girls at the Museum of Modern Art in N.Y. that really made one think or at least stirred emotions on one side or another. I would never say such a thing shouldn't exist.

    I suppose perhaps I have a double standard with video games. It just seems to me that the context of the material above doesn't support a sexualized child.

    But you know, good point and you gave me something to think about.

  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Elin's are taken from Korean & Japanese anime cartoons and not children.  lol

    They look like children, which is why they are being censored.

  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Originally posted by syntax42


    Originally posted by stayontarget

    What's weird is you can watch spongebob walk around in his underware on the cartoon channel and that is totally good to go.......go figure :/

    Spongebob does not look like a 7-year-old girl.  He's a sponge.  They could make him nude as long as they don't draw reproductive organs.  Its like drawing animals nude.  Ever watch cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Looney Tunes, Ren & Stimpy, or basically anything pre-1995 with animals in it?

     

    Too many people get offended by any form of censorship.  When it is used to protect children, it is definitely justified to censor it.  When it is used on adult content that only adults are supposed to be able to view, then you have the right to be offended.  Stop crying about an image of a child being given more clothes.  Would you really allow your daughter to wear something like that to school?

    Elin's are taken from Korean & Japanese anime cartoons and not children.  lol

    Does not matter what they are taken from, they look like preteen children and preteen children in tight underwear is appropriate to most people, in the west atleast.

  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,236

    Originally posted by syntax42

    Originally posted by Robokapp

    I wonder why that armor is less acceptable than this outfit:

     

    http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Alicia-Sacramone/Alicia-Sacramone-1114558.jpg

     

    or any other outfit of the under-18 gymnastics teams. Because the tera model actually wears more clothes than a gymnast does. And its a virtual character not a real person.

    That's an athlete, not an image in a video game.  She has to wear that to perform her sport.  When they get done with their routine, they put on a sports suit over that.  Have you ever tried doing gymnastics in baggy clothes?  How about jogging or swimming in a trench coat that is on over your street clothes?  Would you go out in public (to school or the mall) wearing a bathing suit?  Appropriate clothes are used in appropriate situations.  The TERA girl being covered up is appropriate because she should not be fighting half-naked.

     that's not my point.

     

    I see a real girl and a virtual girl similarly exposed. and the real one is the ok one. that is not logical.

     

    by that logic couldnt the storyline justify the virtual one?

    image

  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

    Originally posted by Robokapp

    Originally posted by syntax42


    Originally posted by Robokapp

    I wonder why that armor is less acceptable than this outfit:

     

    http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Alicia-Sacramone/Alicia-Sacramone-1114558.jpg

     

    or any other outfit of the under-18 gymnastics teams. Because the tera model actually wears more clothes than a gymnast does. And its a virtual character not a real person.

    That's an athlete, not an image in a video game.  She has to wear that to perform her sport.  When they get done with their routine, they put on a sports suit over that.  Have you ever tried doing gymnastics in baggy clothes?  How about jogging or swimming in a trench coat that is on over your street clothes?  Would you go out in public (to school or the mall) wearing a bathing suit?  Appropriate clothes are used in appropriate situations.  The TERA girl being covered up is appropriate because she should not be fighting half-naked.

     that's not my point.

     

    I see a real girl and a virtual girl similarly exposed. and the real one is the ok one. that is not logical.

     

    by that logic couldnt the storyline justify the virtual one?

    You missed my point.  The story doesn't justify the virtual girl.  People are swinging swords at her, so how does it make sense to leave so much skin exposed?  The athlete needs to wear that in order to perform.  The virtual girl needs to wear more to perform.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

     

    If Syntax42's image is an example of the type of changes they are making, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Now, if they were saying they needed to cover up the Castanics... now them's fightin' words.  :)

     

    BTW, cool (BIG) pic of all the races here:

    http://tera-online.cc/uploads/posts/2010-06/all_race_sample.jpg

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,236

    so killing a little girl is ok, seeing her knees isn't. It all makes sense now...

    image

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,239

    I understand the logic behind the move, and agree with it.  But it is a bit two faced when in this country we have teenage cheerleading competitions where the girls wear outfits quite a bit more revealing. 

    Not saying that's right either, just sort of strange though where the moral ethic sometimes kicks in.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

    Originally posted by syntax42

     Too many people get offended by any form of censorship.  When it is used to protect children, it is definitely justified to censor it.

     

    The patriot act and the red scare were also pass/used to protect our children. Just sayin...

    I think the updated armor model looks better anyway... but I'm not a fan of censorship or freedom removal.

    Remember Old School Ultima Online

  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

    Originally posted by Loktofeit

     

    If Syntax42's image is an example of the type of changes they are making, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Now, if they were saying they needed to cover up the Castanics... now them's fightin' words.  :)

     

    BTW, cool (BIG) pic of all the races here:

    http://tera-online.cc/uploads/posts/2010-06/all_race_sample.jpg

    I don't know which one is the Catanic, but all of the females in that picture are images of adults, except for the Elin.  There is nothing wrong with an adult wearing skimpy clothing.  Parents should be the ones deciding if their kids can play the game, so there is no issue of exposure there.  The main point is that you would not allow a child or someone that looks like one to walk around like that in public.

  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

    Originally posted by syntax42

    You missed my point.  The story doesn't justify the virtual girl.  People are swinging swords at her, so how does it make sense to leave so much skin exposed?  The athlete needs to wear that in order to perform.  The virtual girl needs to wear more to perform.

    Why must all games take the serious/realistic approach when it comes to armor.   Most don't thank god.

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

    I'm glad the obligatory random-little-kids race in Blade & Soul, they at least are drawn in relatively modest clothes already. :D

    At least, I've only ever seen any pictures that made me go 'daw cute', not think 'That's a little racy, isn't it? D: '

  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

    Originally posted by syntax42

     

    I don't know which one is the Catanic, but all of the females in that picture are images of adults, except for the Elin.  There is nothing wrong with an adult wearing skimpy clothing.  Parents should be the ones deciding if their kids can play the game, so there is no issue of exposure there.  The main point is that you would not allow a child or someone that looks like one to walk around like that in public.

    What has real life have to do with this topic.   Just because it's in a game does not mean I'm going to copy it in real life!!  @#

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Originally posted by syntax42


     

    I don't know which one is the Catanic, but all of the females in that picture are images of adults, except for the Elin.  There is nothing wrong with an adult wearing skimpy clothing.  Parents should be the ones deciding if their kids can play the game, so there is no issue of exposure there.  The main point is that you would not allow a child or someone that looks like one to walk around like that in public.

    What has real life have to do with this topic.   Just because it's in a game does not mean I'm going to copy it in real life!!  @#

    Would you support child pornography in a video game?  It isn't real life, so it must be fine according to your logic.  If child pornography isn't okay, then where would you draw the line?  All they are doing is drawing a line and saying that some of the armor outfits display the child-like image of Elin in a sexually provocative manner.

  • TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

    Originally posted by syntax42

    Would you support child pornography in a video game?  It isn't real life, so it must be fine according to your logic.  If child pornography isn't okay, then where would you draw the line?  All they are doing is drawing a line and saying that some of the armor outfits display the child-like image of Elin in a sexually provocative manner.

    One word: Hentai.

    Eleanor Rigby.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,959

    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Originally posted by syntax42


     

    I don't know which one is the Catanic, but all of the females in that picture are images of adults, except for the Elin.  There is nothing wrong with an adult wearing skimpy clothing.  Parents should be the ones deciding if their kids can play the game, so there is no issue of exposure there.  The main point is that you would not allow a child or someone that looks like one to walk around like that in public.

    What has real life have to do with this topic.   Just because it's in a game does not mean I'm going to copy it in real life!!  @#

    True but you are aware that most societies tend to frown on sexualizing minors so it's not beyond the pale to imagine that this is a concern for people.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

    Originally posted by Robokapp

    so killing a little girl is ok, seeing her knees isn't. It all makes sense now...

    What makes sense to you doesn't make a difference. What makes sense to the target audience does. Now, you can argue that a regions cutoms, culture, mores or values are wrong all you want but that has nothing to do with the change or whether it is appropriate or not.

    Is American culture more comfortable with a game that lets you kill little girls rather than a game that shows what they consider to be inappropriately dressed little girls? Yes. It's just the way the culture is. This has nothing to do with compromising artistic values.

     

    Do you hold the same rage about skeletons and bones removed from the Chinese version of WOW?

     

    Besides, this is a gaming genre that trumps even first-person shooters when it comes to core gameplay focused around constant murder, excpet MMOs push it beyond that limit to unadulterated racist genocide.  Are we really going to argue about whether any one culture's sensibilities are right or wrong when we, as a collective MMO gaming community, spend our evenings blindly exterminating anything that doesn't look or act like us simply because some characters in the story told us they were bad and needed death?

     

    I don't mind the developers putting clothes on the ittle girl that I'm about to kill.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

    Originally posted by syntax42

    Originally posted by Loktofeit

     

    If Syntax42's image is an example of the type of changes they are making, then I don't see anything wrong with it. Now, if they were saying they needed to cover up the Castanics... now them's fightin' words.  :)

     

    BTW, cool (BIG) pic of all the races here:

    http://tera-online.cc/uploads/posts/2010-06/all_race_sample.jpg

    I don't know which one is the Catanic, but all of the females in that picture are images of adults, except for the Elin.  There is nothing wrong with an adult wearing skimpy clothing.  Parents should be the ones deciding if their kids can play the game, so there is no issue of exposure there.  The main point is that you would not allow a child or someone that looks like one to walk around like that in public.

    I am agreeing with you, Syntax. The last line was added for levity. Lighten up.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,959

    Originally posted by Treekodar

    Originally posted by syntax42

    Would you support child pornography in a video game?  It isn't real life, so it must be fine according to your logic.  If child pornography isn't okay, then where would you draw the line?  All they are doing is drawing a line and saying that some of the armor outfits display the child-like image of Elin in a sexually provocative manner.

    One word: Hentai.

    One name: Japan.

    It's all about context.

This discussion has been closed.