Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play, but very confused...

Four questions...

One - I already have an account, that I purchased about a year or two ago, before F2P. I heard this gives me additional benefits if I continue to use this account? I've read posts on it, but they only confused me more. 

Two - I would only want to spend £8.99 a month, like I do with other MMO's. Can I purchase enough content a month with this ammount to keep me going? I've also heard there a way I can pay monthly, have all areas/quests unlocked and still get a monthly allowence of points to purchase other things? This would be perfect, if its true.

Three - If the above is true, can my brother and friend join and get the same benefits with a new account that they make, If they pay monthly too? Cash shops in games turn us off, but Lotro seems really good now, gunna be the first F2P we've even tried because of it.

Four - Whats the playerbase like? What servers have more people? I will want to join a server that has more players, I hate running around a massive amazing area and see nobody by mobs. I don't want to know the exact numbers really, just want to know where I can play where there will be other players. (I understand that the low level areas in some servers may be very under populated, so I will stick with it as long as when I get to about the middleish level I'll start seeing more players.)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

1. There are benefits, but those are only available if you were subscribed about half a year before it went F2P and the time it actually went F2P. So most likely no benefits for your older account.

2. LotRo is F2P, but you can still subscribe for that 9 GBP/month and then you get the whole game, but probably without the expantions Moria & Mirkwood (unless you bought them back then). Subscrption also gives 500TP a month, which you can use later (when the sub ends) to buy mission packs...

3. Yes...

4. Last time I checked on Withywindle (newly created when LotR went F2P in Europe), it was pretty good. As good as the population always has been on EU servers actually. Dunno how things are in the lower-level area's though. You have to check yourself.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Both Eldar EU and Snowbourne EU have very good populations and are busy in all areas.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Originally posted by Reizla

1. There are benefits, but those are only available if you were subscribed about half a year before it went F2P and the time it actually went F2P. So most likely no benefits for your older account.

If you have an old account, you will have some small benefits, even if you have never subscribed.

In particular: All characters already created will keep 5 inventory slots. So better use your old characters, instead of creating new ones.

For an average (not hardcore) gamer, the best strategy is to start free, level your character to around level 30 (with free content), then go for VIP for 1 month, then cancel VIP and buy the quest packs you need directly.

• ErithramereErithramere Member Posts: 17

Thanks everyone. Gunna give it a try now!!! :)