Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shogun Total War 2: Buyers beware!

2»

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by rockrock

Originally posted by Swanea

Gosh, I do love steam.

But it is silly if you buy it at the store you are forced to use steam.

How can you possibly love Steam?

It slows the game, it's glitchy, it means you can't play it when your connection is slow or down, and it's intrusive.

Am I missing something?

Aprarently you're missing a lot since everything in that statement is just plain false. Maybe you should actually try Steam before you come here and talk out of your ass about something you very obviously know very little about.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by hfztt

I dont get why people have issues with steam. I really dont.

You can play offline. Hell I usually offline my account on my kids computers so they can play my steam games. Try doing that with a copy protected CD...

You can allways download your games on a new pc. With the steam cloud-saves I dont even have to worry about loosing my save games.

What is it, that is so horrible about it?

Then you never have dug into why people don't like Steam.

For me, there are two things that primarily irk me in regards to Steam.

1)  Less control on what's going on because of Steam.  I may not want the latest patch because it f*cks the game over with new technical and/or gameplay issues.  I also bought a physical copy of the game, but Steam keeps fiddling around, interfering in the background?

2)  A major, MAJOR issue for me as a PC gamer is how Steam can f*ck a game over in regards to mods.  Despite the supposed option of telling Steam NOT to update the game without my approval.  You *can* set it, but Steam says "F*ck You" and updates anyway.  Mod files are overwritten / deleted.  All without my permission, all despite me configuring Steam not to do so without my damn approval.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

I used to hate Steam but then I realized just how convenient it really is. Now I love it. In fact if a game isn't an MMO or on Steam I won't buy it. I hate having to swap disks in and out everytime I want to play a new game and Steam allows me to skip this process. Woot! GO STEAM!

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by rockrock

Originally posted by Swanea

Gosh, I do love steam.

But it is silly if you buy it at the store you are forced to use steam.

How can you possibly love Steam?

It slows the game, it's glitchy, it means you can't play it when your connection is slow or down, and it's intrusive.

Am I missing something?

Gosh, I have added games I have NOT paid for through steam, and still never had any of the problems you are talking about.

Maybe it's a local issue for you, like your computer?  I would call it a lot less intrusive compared to some things that scan your entire computer for certain things.

Maybe I am missing something :(.

Again, the prices through steam can be amazing.  I recommend it to people to check out if you are looking for a game (not so much an MMO) for cheap.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

I had no issues whatsoever with Steam, and I enjoy it because once I activate my product, it is added permanently to my account.  That way, if I ever lose my copy of the game or need to format, I can simply download it again through Steam.

The game itself far outweighs this 'con'.  It is worth it, and the addition of Steam makes it easy to communicate with friends who also have the game.  It makes it easy to find people to play with, and I did not have the issues you described.  It took me about 30 minutes to get the game up and running from the time I put the disc in.  Not bad, considering the 15gig install.

This should not be a reason to not purchase a game.  The game should be a reason not to purchase the game.  And in this case, Shogun 2 is a blast, so it is very worth a purchase.

Edit:  Also, if Steam slows your PC down, then maybe it's time to buy a new PC.  Shogun 2 isn't exactly a low system requirement game itself, so maybe your PC is just not up to par.  Mine is several years old and I do not experience any lag because of Steam.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

go down to starbucks and install it, talk to the IT nerd and let him know you need steam access.

no laptop?  lug the desktop to moms basement where you live in the summers and install it.

steam doenst slow down gameing pcs, only pcs that were never meant to game at all.