Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SWG hasn't bounced back (part 2)

13»

Comments

• TheNinjaboyTheNinjaboy Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Daffid011

If DCU was experiencing a population increase SOE would not be planning on merging down to the absolute minimal amount of servers to keep the operation runnung. 

Absolutely false.

The SuperServer setup would have been a better solution at LAUNCH when it was massively populated.

Also, just because the population is increasing doesn't mean that it is the same or equal to where it was at launch yet.

Not sure why people don't understand what the term "population increasing" means....

It doesn't mean that the population never decreased and hit bottom which I clearly pointed out it did....

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by TheNinjaboy

If DCU was experiencing a population increase SOE would not be planning on merging down to the absolute minimal amount of servers to keep the operation runnung. 

Absolutely false.

The SuperServer setup would have been a better solution at LAUNCH when it was massively populated.

Also, just because the population is increasing doesn't mean that it is the same or equal to where it was at launch yet.

Not sure why people don't understand what the term "population increasing" means....

It doesn't mean that the population never decreased and hit bottom which I clearly pointed out it did....

I didn't say the super servers would not have been a better idea 4 months ago.  I agree they would have been a better idea back then, but honestly don't think they would have changed much, because masses of people still left the game when the servers were very full.  The problem wasn't and isn't related to the populations on the servers.  The dead servers are a result of many other problems with the game.   PC and PS3 alike. 

My comments about the population are as far as SOE is concerned.  If there was a population increase worth noting then SOE would most certainly not be talking about server mergers.  If dropping the box price brought in more players that stick around SOE would do that instead of merging servers.  Soe has historically done anything in their power to avoid merging servers even to the point of ignoring dead populations to the point it causes more problems to the games health than announcing mergers would.

If SOE is openly talking about server mergers then I highly doubt there is a noteworthy population increase. 

I didn't say the super servers would not have been a better idea 4 months ago.  I agree they would have been a better idea back then, but honestly don't think they would have changed much, because masses of people still left the game when the servers were very full.  The problem wasn't and isn't related to the populations on the servers.  The dead servers are a result of many other problems with the game.   PC and PS3 alike.

We already addressed that issue however.

The time sync hacks, animation glitches (most of the time), bug crashes (i.e. bomb crash) have all be resolved.

Rift also launched at the pinnacle of those issues on the "populated" servers.

Those issues are behind us now.

Now going forward the main issue IS related to the last few months of population decline.

While DCUO might be increasing in population it is not going to increase at a rate in the short term that will make up for the decrease in pop over the first 3 months of the game.

The main complaint from Rift players coming back to the game wasn't what it was before they left.

DCUO Rifters were now complaining about population as was the general pop who never left to play Rift.

That's not to say there aren't some issues to be fixed but it's not what it was at launch or even 2 months ago.

My comments about the population are as far as SOE is concerned.  If there was a population increase worth noting then SOE would most certainly not be talking about server mergers.  If dropping the box price brought in more players that stick around SOE would do that instead of merging servers.  Soe has historically done anything in their power to avoid merging servers even to the point of ignoring dead populations to the point it causes more problems to the games health than announcing mergers would.

If SOE is openly talking about server mergers then I highly doubt there is a noteworthy population increase. 

I am not sure what your definination of "noteworthy" is but going from 2 raid groups per week to 15 is a pretty huge increase.

Going from instances not popping for 4 or 5 hours or not at all to INSTANT pops all day is a pretty "noteworthy increase".

Going from seeing no one in the world all day to seeing fresh level 30s and participating in huge world PvP events that are 50vs50 is a pretty "noteworthy" increase.

Mind you that is all on a "light" populated server i.e. Public Enemies that has half the pop or less then Death and Glory.

Death and Glory is medium pop during some days of the week and was growing rapidly after it bottomed out.

It sounds like you're speaking from a point of view that has no direct experience with the game in recent weeks especially on one of the non-D&G servers like Public Enemies.

The fact is there was a significant population increase after DCUO bottomed out 5 weeks ago.

Significant in the sense of where the population was at 5 weeks ago.

No it's not where it was at launch BUT the introduction of SuperServers can only help to bolster DCUO's recovery and growth.

It is probably safe to assume Sony made the decision to do the SuperServer mergers prior to the modest population increases as well.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

[1]

The time sync hacks, animation glitches (most of the time), bug crashes (i.e. bomb crash) have all be resolved.

Now going forward the main issue IS related to the last few months of population decline.

While DCUO might be increasing in population it is not going to increase at a rate in the short term that will make up for the decrease in pop over the first 3 months of the game.

The main complaint from Rift players coming back to the game wasn't what it was before they left.

DCUO Rifters were now complaining about population as was the general pop who never left to play Rift.

That's not to say there aren't some issues to be fixed but it's not what it was at launch or even 2 months ago.

[2]

I am not sure what your definination of "noteworthy" is but going from 2 raid groups per week to 15 is a pretty huge increase.

Going from instances not popping for 4 or 5 hours or not at all to INSTANT pops all day is a pretty "noteworthy increase".

Going from seeing no one in the world all day to seeing fresh level 30s and participating in huge world PvP events that are 50vs50 is a pretty "noteworthy" increase.

Mind you that is all on a "light" populated server i.e. Public Enemies that has half the pop or less then Death and Glory.

Death and Glory is medium pop during some days of the week and was growing rapidly after it bottomed out.

It sounds like you're speaking from a point of view that has no direct experience with the game in recent weeks especially on one of the non-D&G servers like Public Enemies.

The fact is there was a significant population increase after DCUO bottomed out 5 weeks ago.

No it's not where it was at launch BUT the introduction of SuperServers can only help to bolster DCUO's recovery and growth.

It is probably safe to assume Sony made the decision to do the SuperServer mergers prior to the modest population increases as well.

[1]

The exploiting was just one issue that was driving players away and even then it isn't completely gone.  On top of that the fix to the pistol exploit caused a problem with the entire combat engine and cooldowns.  It was a cheap fix to one problem that caused another. 

DCU suffers from tons of other issues like poor ui, lack of content, lack of customization, power sets, activities, locations, patches, balance, etc.  People went 30 days and out for more reasons than just the exploits.

[2]

If you say your servers playtime has seen an increase, cool.  Good on you for finding plenty of people to play with. 

Prior to getting shutdown however, there was no shortage of brand new threads about dead servers for both PC and PS3, including death and glory. 

If the entire game was seeing an increase like you portrait your experience then I stick by my comments that SOE would not be moving forward with server mergers.  If instances were poping instantly then people would not be complaining about dead servers.  They would be talking about how instances now pop instantly with the surge of new players that have joined the game, but instead the forums were filled with posts about dead empty servers with impossible ques times.

[1]

[2]

[1]

The exploiting was just one issue that was driving players away and even then it isn't completely gone.  On top of that the fix to the pistol exploit caused a problem with the entire combat engine and cooldowns.  It was a cheap fix to one problem that caused another. 

DCU suffers from tons of other issues like poor ui, lack of content, lack of customization, power sets, activities, locations, patches, balance, etc.  People went 30 days and out for more reasons than just the exploits.

[2]

If you say your servers playtime has seen an increase, cool.  Good on you for finding plenty of people to play with. 

Prior to getting shutdown however, there was no shortage of brand new threads about dead servers for both PC and PS3, including death and glory. 

If the entire game was seeing an increase like you portrait your experience then I stick by my comments that SOE would not be moving forward with server mergers.  If instances were poping instantly then people would not be complaining about dead servers.  They would be talking about how instances now pop instantly with the surge of new players that have joined the game, but instead the forums were filled with posts about dead empty servers with impossible ques times.

I think we'll agree to disagree on the above points.

Good discussion however.

I'm hoping SoE makes some progress for SWG, DCUO, all SOE MMO players and get the servers up this week!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I don't know how many people are affected, but 2 of my 3 accounts I have with SOE doesn't work, one won't even send me an email when requesting a password change, the other gives me inccorect answer on secret question but my third one works fine. Also today my CC got charged for planetside which I stopped paying for 2 months ago on that working account, the sub window even says "[[error : nextPlan returns false for paymentTypeIs*()]]".

Something strange is going on.

• ZethlisZethlis Member Posts: 15

Well I'm not going to lie I thought SWG was a masterpiece (and I started right when the kashyyyk expansion came out) but I got banned and one of the lowbies in my guild got my guild HQ and city and everything I worked for 2 years to get, so that definitely turned me off to any attempt at trying to get back to the game. They said since I was banned nothing I earned belonged to me anymore... I'm glad SWG is going to shit. Hooray for SWTOR! It's going to be fucking INSANE!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

TBH, I still probably wouldn't play it even with classic servers.

I actually can't believe I played it as long as I did.

The game always had huge balance and technical issues.

• ZethlisZethlis Member Posts: 15

That it may, but I really enjoyed it for its diversity, I've never seen an MMO with the ability to decorate your own house and build your own city and configure your own ship, that's what made me enjoy it a lot. The PVP was pretty fun as well. Especially in space.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

I had a blast playing Planetside when it first came out, can't wait.

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

SOE had a chance for redemption with DCUO, their "fastest selling MMO to date".  It's probably also there "fastest dying MMO to date"

Their fucked now, SOE will be reduced to nothing in the next 5-10 years.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

So sick of this argument, especially as it's the wrong argument. I do wonder how many players who spout NGE and CU as the demise of SWG actually played the game? I'm thinking very few.

SWG was broken, horribly broken at release, half the classes were unplayble....let me say that again, not a bit buggy, not in need of some tweaking, their core mechanics were simply broken. For some of those classes they never got properly fixed right up to the time they were removed from the game. For others, they got nerfed and buffed over and over with no logic.

Furthermore, the demise of SWG began with the Jedi grind, this turned once bustling cantinas and expaditionary groups into macro fanatics. Walk into a cantina early in the game, it was PACKED with people and was buzzing with activity (this at the time was the first mmo i had played where social interraction was far and away higher up the agenda than killing and grinding), once the Jedi grind began, all you'd see was AFK macro bots macroing their way through the professions to unlock Jedi. This decimated the community, ripped it's heart out as players, entertainers, crafters and combatants alike scrambled to wield the big shiny.

This is one unspoken reason why SWG hasn't bounced back, they gutted the community (or the community gutted itself, it's arguable) which never recovered. This happened a while before the term NGE was ever uttered.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Can we get a petition to end these threads, I mean seriously it's 7 years old, and everyone already knows it sucks.  Let's stop crying about milk that spilled 6 years ago.