Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is how tanking should be done...

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302442/

It's the warrior class in TERA tanking. Looks like fun tumbling around to dodge shit instead of stacking HP/defense and calling that tanking.

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Sounds like they've taken some inspiration from the monster hunter series as far as combat goes, should be fun.

Seems like there is a lot technically that can go wrong with this type of gameplay I think, with lag and desyncing issues, I hope these won't be to much of a problem come release.

Otherwise looking forward to this game.image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by helthros

It's the warrior class in TERA tanking. Looks like fun tumbling around to dodge shit instead of stacking HP/defense and calling that tanking.

Because its completely realistic for someone wearing plate mail to "tumble" while their fighting something.

Traditionally those sort of moves are reserved for Rogue classes who are wearing leather.  Warriors should be blocking/parrying and smacking stuff with a big stick.

When did we decide MMORPG combat had to resemble super mario brothers?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Hmm, I'm not sure if I would enjoy an action MMO. Seems like text chat would not be an option at all... you'd have no choice but to go the vent route. And I think that style of gameplay would be hard for me to play continuously for a long session.

Long story short, it's good that they're making a game like that for people who want to play an action MMO, but there's no way I'd say "this is the best kind of tanking, online games should all do combat this way."

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by Kyleran

Because its completely realistic for someone wearing plate mail to "tumble" while their fighting something.

Traditionally those sort of moves are reserved for Rogue classes who are wearing leather.  Warriors should be blocking/parrying and smacking stuff with a big stick.

lol I am so sick and tired of people trying to argue "reality" when it comes to video games.

Not only is that just a stupid argument in the first place but how many fantasy movies do you see a warrior stand toe to toe against giant ogres and dragons without dodging and rolling around and hiding behind big rocks or something?

They never stand there and just take a beating, im pretty sure moving around and dodging is much more realistic than standing in front of a train and waiting for it to hit you.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Not saying I'm a fan of action MMO combat by any means, but the idea that a tank has to stand in place may be recent, and simultaneously, dated.  No self-respecting warrior in the middle ages would have stood and absorbed any blows from an enemy, of course.  Dodging and mobility were historically essential concepts in both offensive and defensive forms.  Check out some of the publicly available information at ARMA's website if you're interested: http://www.thearma.org/ or check out Medieval Swordsmanship by John Clements from your public library.

Whether or not its implementation works in a game remains to be seen but I'm open to the idea.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A platemail is actually a lot easier to move in than mnost people think. You could probably do that tumble in one. Of course you would rather block with a shield or parry most attacks so it isn't realistic anyways.

But it is actually easier to move in some platemails than in chainmail, I know that sounds hard to believe if you havn't tried wearing both. You do however get tired fast when you move in a full armor, I can only last a few minutes if I move that fast in my chainmail, and that is without tumbling..

Knights do dodge attacks as well as they block and parry. If you are interested I can recommend talking to ARMA who do real melee combat. http://www.thearma.org/ They have some pretty interesting .pdf books you can download for free (I recommend Talhoffer).

No, this is not realistic combat but I have yet to see a MMO with even slightly realistic combat. It is actually not impossible to do a MMO with a lot more realistic combat, I have some ideas that I might post here later.

For me I want tanking to be a lot about strategy and body blocking. Jump in between the monster and the squishy and block with your huge shield, that is how it used to work in P&P games and how it should be in MMOs as well. Places like dungeons however need to have smaller corridors and good places that players and mobs can use for defense.

I think anyways that tanking actual players and mobs should work in similar ways.

Edit: Dang it, I am slow today. Beez were faster than me to post the link to Arma wwhile I was writing my post. I guess that proves that drinking Fernet Branca and beer never is a good idea, I been like this the whole day...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Wow, this simply looks amazing. GW 2 will have a run for its money as best fantasy MMORPG...

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

At least watch the video and get some info before trying to argue about it. The tanking class the dude plays in the video is the warrior (which apparently wears leather) and is the class that is based around rolling and dodging to tank successfully. The other tanking class wears plate and takes hits head on while also blocking and attacking in intervals.

Nice try though.

• sadonalsadonal Member UncommonPosts: 6

well the true tank class in Tera is the Lancer who stands and takes a beating.  I like the warrior class idea, but I can see progression raids using Lancers as movement of the boss will be more predictable.

• KeynoKeyno Member UncommonPosts: 47

Was it just me or was the tank not holding aggro at all? I think the caster was tanking more than the plate wearing acrobat. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Very cartoony with flashy numbers hopping all over the screen.  Not really my style but I'm sure a lot of other people will lap it up. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Very impressed by the monster's animations and attacks.

Also cool to hear about this crystal system to enchant gear; they might BREAK when you die, adding some potentially costly death penalty to the game; something which is rare amongst all the "feel-good, hand holding mmorpg mechanics for the entire family" we have to put up with.

• EzehielEzehiel Member Posts: 36

That looks really good and amazing! Just the combat style I like. I'll be keeping an eye out for this game.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by Disdena

Hmm, I'm not sure if I would enjoy an action MMO. Seems like text chat would not be an option at all... you'd have no choice but to go the vent route. And I think that style of gameplay would be hard for me to play continuously for a long session.

Long story short, it's good that they're making a game like that for people who want to play an action MMO, but there's no way I'd say "this is the best kind of tanking, online games should all do combat this way."

Those are definitely great points.  I played some monster hunter with my friend one weekend and I could not imagine playing the game with text as a primary form of communication.  Tera will need voice chat integration if it wants to resemble some form of MMO.   Play session longevity doesn't really concern me so much, since it looks a bit more tamed than monster hunter.

• NecrotikzNecrotikz Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Badaboom

Very cartoony with flashy numbers hopping all over the screen.  Not really my style but I'm sure a lot of other people will lap it up. 

Wtf is it with people and this idea of 'Cartoony'?

This is a Cartoon:

This is a Game Character:

Where is the similarity in art style? Please point it out to me...

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think it's important to note that the eastern games are more about style and concept. Besides the fact that any person in plate would not be able to swim like they do in most fantasy games, these games tend to be more about grades of armor. So "plate" is not the heavy, thick, body concealing armor that you would find in, say, mount and blade but something more fantastical.

I'm know you know this but I think it bears repeating for the sake of the conversation.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

The warrior class in TERA wears LEATHER. Like someone else said earlier in this thread.

"Warriors should be <>"

According to what or whom? Game developers cannot try and think/create outside the box with mentality like that. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Necrotikz

This is a Cartoon:

Your picture is not the reality of gameplay.  This is:

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

this game is very cool, and can't wait to play it.

come on NA launch!!

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

lol everyone ripped that guy a new one.

Lancer is the other tanking class, they stand there and take a beating but even they have to activate their block/defensive moves to mitigate damage. It isn't just loading up on stats and spamming your rotation like any other dpser.

The mob does seem to drop aggro regularly. Definitely keeps it from being tank and spank heh. I don't know if he's dropping aggro or his abilities randomly target other people. Could be a mix of the two. I like that there's collision detection too, that's pretty bad ass. A tank actually blocks his teammates.

And as someone else stated noticing the crystals thing. That's definitely a step in the right direction for a death penalty.

To badaboom, your understanding of "cartoony" is pretty screwed up man lol. Look at clone wars or wow to get a grasp of cartoony.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Don't worry, you'll be stacking HP/Defense too :P

But seriously, I long for some game to be challenging to tank in. Since Age of Conan (I was a Guardian tank) - where you hav to chain all your abilities 100% perfectly for 5 minutes or wipe everyone (not comparable to Dark Templar or Conqueror tanking) I simply fall asleep tanking in other games. WoW is an absolute joke and probably gives brain cancer through boredom. Rift is super easy as well.

Heck, I tanked cutting edge content as a melee healer in Allods, which was not a tank class at all and not intended by devs to even be possible.

This probably comes off as an "I'm great" post, sorry. But what I'm saying is, everyone could use some more challenge - and dig deep - to be successful.

Back to Tera. The tradeoff for having to constantly move is that aggro is stupidly easy to hold.

• NecrotikzNecrotikz Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Necrotikz

This is a Cartoon:

Your picture is not the reality of gameplay.  This is:

Big wall of pics here, but by your definition this is cartoony:

Think before you type.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Edit: Dang it, I am slow today. Beez were faster than me to post the link to Arma wwhile I was writing my post. I guess that proves that drinking Fernet Branca and beer never is a good idea, I been like this the whole day...

No problem, Loke.  ARMA is a great resource for nerds (like me) and martial artists alike and it'd be cool of devs checked it out sometimes for new perspectives. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

lol everyone ripped that guy a new one.

Lancer is the other tanking class, they stand there and take a beating but even they have to activate their block/defensive moves to mitigate damage. It isn't just loading up on stats and spamming your rotation like any other dpser.

The mob does seem to drop aggro regularly. Definitely keeps it from being tank and spank heh. I don't know if he's dropping aggro or his abilities randomly target other people. Could be a mix of the two. I like that there's collision detection too, that's pretty bad ass. A tank actually blocks his teammates.

And as someone else stated noticing the crystals thing. That's definitely a step in the right direction for a death penalty.

To badaboom, your understanding of "cartoony" is pretty screwed up man lol. Look at clone wars or wow to get a grasp of cartoony.

He's losing hate, you can tell by the "red circle" below the players feet.  Notice is circle shifts from one player to the next (squishies need to evade when they see that ring on them).  Aggro appears to have a short timer and seems to reset when the player gets stunned or knocked down.  Lancer & Warrior are both viable tanks in tera, they just go about their business differently.  

~BTW  beta invites have been sent out to all EU fan sites for the EU community play event~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

ok guys seriously enough with the "cartoon graphics" debate,there a million different kinds of cartoon styles.

for those of us that have actually played the game, we know the graphics are just austanding and the art style is what it is........Korean computer animation.

i'v played Aion for a long time and this game blows Aion out of the water with it's detail and graphic rendering, not to mention it's super fun combat systme. it's simply incredibly beautifull.  give it a rest already.