Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ports & Fast transport.

JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

I'm all for minimal ports and quick jumps from one continent to the other. I think in a sandbox game or any MMO there can be a lot of fun in having to travel and explore.

http://aaportal.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:2cbt-review-cobalt&catid=34:2010-11-20-11-57-56&Itemid=73

This reviewer mentioned that there were no ways to travel other than by foot/mount at the moment

I hope it stays like this, thoughts?

--Gaymer Extraordinaire--

Comments

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Well this depends if the world/environment is made well enough, I wouldn't want to spend 5 min of look at grass, mountain, clear blue skies like 99% of mmo out there. You will actually need something to look at for this feature to be fun and enjoyable.

But something different and innovative in a good way is always welcomed.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If the game is focused on socializing and interaction then the more expedient ways thre are for people to meet up, the better. If the game is focused on conquest and territory control, then fast tranportation often reduces the importance of or need for mobilization strategy.  It depends on the focus of the game. 

The forum warrior complaint is that fast transportation makes the world too small, and no matter how many times that's countered with reasonable mechanics, they will still repeat it ad nauseum. Other than that, history has proven that an MMO starts off with basic transportation and, as player travel is studied and identified, more travel routes and methods are added. This has been true of almost every MMO released.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros/2

horse, monorail and carriage, sounds good to me :P   and ofc ships, tho that more a part of naval combat... merchants maybe?

carriage and monorail ofc is fast travels, tho not as in portals where you click and *blink* you are on the otherside of the world...monorails being inside cities only.

still hope GW2 will release a big gab before this one, sounds like you could drop all the time you got available to spend on games,  into this.

• JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by Loktofeit

If the game is focused on socializing and interaction then the more expedient ways thre are for people to meet up, the better. If the game is focused on conquest and territory control, then fast tranportation often reduces the importance of or need for mobilization strategy.  It depends on the focus of the game. 

The forum warrior complaint is that fast transportation makes the world too small, and no matter how many times that's countered with reasonable mechanics, they will still repeat it ad nauseum. Other than that, history has proven that an MMO starts off with basic transportation and, as player travel is studied and identified, more travel routes and methods are added. This has been true of almost every MMO released.

I definitely agree with your second point.. I mean its just true.  I was just remembering how much more I preferred Everquest before the expansion with the nexus and all those quick ports..  I really enjoy the social aspect of games and I always thought it was fun to run into people traveling by foot.. it gave life to the map. Once ports were involved there was no danger in traveling from city A to city B and many zones seemed to die.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by JamesErnst

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I definitely agree with your second point.. I mean its just true.  I was just remembering how much more I preferred Everquest before the expansion with the nexus and all those quick ports..  I really enjoy the social aspect of games and I always thought it was fun to run into people traveling by foot.. it gave life to the map. Once ports were involved there was no danger in traveling from city A to city B and many zones seemed to die.

See, the part about running into people while travelling... I enjoyed that in AC and UO, but people don't stop and chat anymore when they are on their way to a destination. If you asked someone to, I get the feeling that most people would not only find it odd, but some would actually be bothered that someone is attempting to impede their progress with unnecessary conversation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

I pray to god that they do not add fast teleport's I mean come on when they make the world one massive seemless land and sea mass, the last thing they want is for people to be able to blink through it and skip tons of amazing scenery and content.

Keep the travel times.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well I read here http://www.aaportal.net/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=118&lang=en

that they aren't planning on having instant travel because of the conquering aspects that will apart of the game. They don't want a single clan to be able to control the entire world because you can go from end of the world to another in an instant. This will make sieges and skirmishes more realistic imo. On top of that it does tend to make game worlds feel larger, but for me that's not a good enough reason.

This will make the gameworld more dynamic I think too, and make clan cohension important. Later on we might find this isn't necessary and even with instant travel a clan couldn't dominate the world but if that's the case I'm sure implementing instant travel won't be too difficult.

• JuulpowerJuulpower Member Posts: 65

There won't be teleports and such as XL games doesn't want to remove the feeling of a massive world (bigger than current WoW world size including all expansions!).

Having mounts, carts, monorails and ships to travel fast, I think this is great and I am happy they'll keep it like this ^^ Also, according to reviews I read, the world really looks beautiful and it isn't boring to travel long distances, although higher level zones need some more work to make those look more interesting.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I really hope they dont add warps or insta travel.  The old wiz or druid travel in eq was kinda cool, made you interact a bit.  Every bit of fast trave make the world seem smaller and less of a world. Unless its D&L sized of course.

My vote - No fast travel!!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• RomtimRomtim Member Posts: 175

Yeah,  i dont like insta travelling either

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

"ArcheAge’s world is seamless and you can travel between continents with the help of your very own boat! XLGames doesn’t want to implement fast travel since it would destroy the feeling of a massive world."

http://archeage-online.com/about/the-world

one of the best things I read about the game. fast travel is killing darkfall.

My blog: image

• LordPsychodiLordPsychodi Member Posts: 101

Boring environments between A to B and making travel tedious is what made portals exist. Large open worlds need to be bustling with places to explore, otherwise all travel becomes is tedious. The purpose of most extra fast travel was because the way most games level you up, you're supposed to be in A to do levels 10, B to do levels 10-20, C to do levels; etc. Logistics of warfare means absolute jack and shit when it's pressing W, and not actually physically hauling your butt in heavy sweaty armor across open unshaded fields for "hours", people WILL travel across the entire freaking world if they want to topple your castle.

However, I am all for personal teleportation to be some feature eventually; Not huge groups, but teleportation circles could indeed be a feature of high end castles via crafting without being too crazy, as well as what runes of marking/scrolls for single travel if you've been.

• JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

I'm glad so many people agree with my perspectives on traveling.. Its just more immersive that way!

I think that EVERYONE wants a game to be immersive; the problems that we run into in trying to make because everyone seems to think different opinions on what is more immersive

..when are they just going to invent "The Matrix" system for MMOs!! I want to plug into something and run around causing mischief and finding treasure like a real rogue. All I need is an internet connecton and a feeding tube.

...here I express my inner nerd with full force, on facebook I try to keep up a bit of illusion :P