Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New The Secret World trailer from the GDC! (and beta in 2 months)

MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I encountered this new trailer when browsing the official forums:

The Secret World trailer

It had some impressive looking monsters that are shown in it and new locations.

Video is a bit fuzzy though, not as sharp or hi-res as it can be.

Edit: meh, it appeared the video was leaked, the media embargo still holds until tomorrow, but they ask on the official forums not to post links to it and wait till tomorrow. So I removed it, will be putting back the link tomorrow.

edit2: added the trailer again.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

• 3 factions

• Skill based progression system

• Non fantasy setting

Sounds very interesting.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Yep, no levels, no classes in TSW.

Watched the trailer a second time, those monsters are really large and different from the standard MMO ones, I saw some great looking 'horror movie'-type mobs image

Also just found a great newsbit on the official forums:

From the guy who leaked the GDC trailer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morten Larsen

The Secret World is currently in an alpha testing stage with the first external beta test coming two months hence #TSW

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Beta in two months! May... nice, our four year anniversary!

Damn, that's some great news image

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

It may have to be a choice between TSW and WoD in the end. And in the end the more polished game will probably win the majority of subscriptions.

I expect there'll be a year between the 2 releases, TSW was scheduled to release this fall or beginning of next year at the latest, and WoD I expect no sooner that late in 2012 or past that.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by Xasapis

• 3 factions

• Skill based progression system

• Non fantasy setting

Sounds very interesting.

yeah sound interesting....also the 3 factions for pvp.....finaly a company who has the balls to take a 3rd faction.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Closed beta in just two months?

It's so weird that so much less is known about the game than say... SW:TOR or GW2, yet they're that far along already. O.o

I really love the setting, I like a lot of what they say, and the monster designs are <3 but...

... Funcom.

Man.  Just saying that word makes my stomach tighten in a little ball as I start gibbering and curling up in a corner while I rock myself to bad memories of the Anarchy Online launch.

Sure, people might say I shouldn't judge a company by a previous MMO they did, but I did that when Age of Conan came out and... hey!  It ended up that I was justified and Age of Conan was not the second coming to save all MMOs (Whew.  Good thing, I would have had to buy a new computer to play it anyway!)

So I'll squint cautiously, cross my fingers and pray that the third time is a charm, because this is a really cool concept and I don't want it to fail due to Funcom magic, and give MMO developers everywhere the idea that branching out into non-standard-Fantasy is just a plain bad idea.

Funcom is like Bethesda in a sense. They push the genre in new directions other developers are very reluctant to move, but they are very messy doing it. So far, both their MMOs have been offering new stuff (especially AO) to the genre, but both were fun to play one year down the line.

I wonder if they'll manage to break that tradition of messy launches.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

It does sound very interesting indeed, it always has - but I'm really amazed that they've been so quiet with CB (allegedly) so close at hand.

Maybe this means they've learned something from the AoC release, and are willing to let the game speak for itself this time?

We can but hope, eh?

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

It does sound very interesting indeed, it always has - but I'm really amazed that they've been so quiet with CB (allegedly) so close at hand.

Maybe this means they've learned something from the AoC release, and are willing to let the game speak for itself this time?

We can but hope, eh?

Hmmm.  That's a lot more optomistic of a way to look at it than 'They're not nearly close enough to releasing, but they're going to go ahead and bring the game out anyway'.

I hope you're right and I'm just paranoid and grumpy! :D

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The game looks sorta interesting but from the video it gives me the impression that it's just about combat. Are there any other MMO features?

Originally posted by jusomdude

The game looks sorta interesting but from the video it gives me the impression that it's just about combat. Are there any other MMO features?

There is supposed to be mysteries and puzzle solving and deduction and non-combat discovery!

How that will work in an age where even the government can't keep a lid on wiki leaks...

Well, I just hope they can pull it off, because that would be amazing. :)

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by Meowhead

Hmmm.  That's a lot more optomistic of a way to look at it than 'They're not nearly close enough to releasing, but they're going to go ahead and bring the game out anyway'.

I dunno, I wasn't personally burned by AoC (was very wary of it) but I saw my friends raging about it after drooling over it for months (one of my friends used to watch all the pre-release promo videos on a loop, daily, proselytizing about the beauty of it...he was gutted at release).

The TSW forums have been pretty active, but there has been much less of the external hype train (to date) than with AoC.

I could be wrong, the video in the OP could be the opening of the floodgates on that front, but I hope not.

The concept of the game is so interesting to me that I'm really reluctant to assume this is going to be another screw-up.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Really nice video, looks lovely and some of the monster designs are awesome, can't comment on combat because we really didn't see any.

I hope and pray that Funcom have really learned from their previous mistakes and don't throw us another game that won't be playable until a year after launch, I loved AoC once they fixed it but man they took their time, I think they made a big mistake with the expansion too. I'm looking forward to TSW but I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses, it looks like it has a lot of potential, let's hope they don't mess this one up, I'd love to get excited about it but can't.

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

We can but hope, eh?

Well, it has another game director than AoC, namely Tornquist (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall) and so far they've taken a different approach than the testosterone filled media hyping that was used under Gaute's supervision for AoC.

So far they've been pretty no-nonsense and toned down regarding their information releases, also I liked the ARG games with its mysteries, veiled hints and puzzles that have been held (look here for more info about that), it really betrayed Tornquist's influence and hobby passion.

I only hope that the music in TSW can be of the same level of awesomeness and as fitting as it was in AoC.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Well, it has another game director than AoC, namely Tornquist (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall) and so far they've taken a different approach than the testosterone filled media hyping that was used under Gaute's supervision for AoC.

So far they've been pretty no-nonsense and toned down regarding their information releases, also I liked the ARG games with its mysteries, veiled hints and puzzles that have been held (look here for more info about that), it really betrayed Tornquist's influence and hobby passion.

I only hope that the music in TSW can be of the same level of awesomeness and as fitting as it was in AoC.

To be totally honest, it doesn't matter to me HOW much hype the game has.  A game can have a nigh-infinite amount of hype (See: GW2) or almost no hype at all (See: Xsyon), the important question to me is how good of a game is it when it releases.

Funcom hasn't been able to prove to me that they're able to release a good stable MMO in a timely fashion.  I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt in the sense that I'll look at the game, but it's not a preorder for me unless they either use a B2P model (In which case it's a game, rather than a life investment, so buying it will be less painful and I won't care if I have to wait a year for it to be patched to acceptability) or throw in something REALLY amazing as a preorder bonus.

Like a Cthulhu egg.

or throw in something REALLY amazing as a preorder bonus.

Like a Cthulhu egg.

Your neighbours will be so happy when your Cthulhu egg hatches and opens up an otherworldly portal image

Anyway, I hope they succeed, the fact that it's FC is a negative, the fact that Tornquist is game director is a positive to me.

They sure have the most original theme and setting for an MMORPG, it'd be a shame if they won't be able to pull off an interesting, immersive MMO world with it.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Me want.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I can't believe I missed it and I visit the official forums every day!! Well, tomorrow thenimage

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Sfaliara

I can't believe I missed it and I visit the official forums every day!! Well, tomorrow thenimage

As of this moment the video is still on youtube and easy to find.

Alright, I've added the trailer again, only now from a HD source, makes it look even better image

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

Why does the combat look so bland? If the combat wasn't so bad looking they might be sitting on a gold mine....

Ughhhhh

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

"First up is Stonehenge, and the conflict is built on 5-man King-of-the-Hill-style action. Teams accumulate points both by holding the inner ring of the ancient site and by knocking opposing players out of the ring. The Stonehenge instance features quick respawns and fast action, and it requires a certain amount of skill and build knowledge as well as strategic choices on what kinds of builds to bring to the fight. 

The second PvP scenario takes place in the Himalayan mountains, specifically the lost city of Shambala. Shambala PvP is The Secret World's answer to ranked arena fighting, with persistent teams matched against similarly skilled opponents in last-man-standing deathmatches."

Instanced pvp... I'll pass.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Originally posted by Fratman

"First up is Stonehenge, and the conflict is built on 5-man King-of-the-Hill-style action. Teams accumulate points both by holding the inner ring of the ancient site and by knocking opposing players out of the ring. The Stonehenge instance features quick respawns and fast action, and it requires a certain amount of skill and build knowledge as well as strategic choices on what kinds of builds to bring to the fight. 

The second PvP scenario takes place in the Himalayan mountains, specifically the lost city of Shambala. Shambala PvP is The Secret World's answer to ranked arena fighting, with persistent teams matched against similarly skilled opponents in last-man-standing deathmatches."

I think a good blend of instanced as well as open world pvp isnt too bad. The more people you cater to the better imo.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by Arcken

Originally posted by Fratman

I think a good blend of instanced as well as open world pvp isnt too bad. The more people you cater to the better imo.

I'm of the opposite mindset. Instanced PvP is the only PvP I'll play. I DO NOT want to get ganked in the open-world. So...happy-making for me.

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

I wish they hadn't abandoned their previous open-world PVP plans. Hopefully it'll make a comeback in some form in the future.