Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What new Class would u like to see in lotro

Comments

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Actually Necromancers are in the lore. Sauron reappearence in the third age was first contributed to the appearence of someone called the Necromancer, and only later Gandalf entered his Tower in Gol Guldur to discover his true identity. If Necromancy required some form of magic unattainable by mortal races everyone would have immediatly known the Necromancer was Sauron, since he was the only Maiar turned evil with a history of working with undead. But they didn't even suspect it was Sauron, because raising dead in ME is downright easy, hell if you accidently bury people in an evil place they sometimes rise all on their own.

That being said, any Necromancer in LotRO would probably:

1. Undead himself.

2. Extremely evil/corrupted.

3. In service of Sauron or hiding from him.(With emphasis on hiding, so not going around raising undead armies)

4. Not being able to do a whole lot magically(not a maiar/elf), he would most likely only bring already existing undead under his control or create new ones by ritually killing evil men in a special place or something(probably aided by some dark power, sauron isn't the only evil being capable of true magic left over from the first age).

The only thing we really know is that Necromancers are rare and a kinda big deal, which both speaks greatly against players being able to play them imho.

As a playable class i think we are at the end of the rainbow, anything i could think of would be either fluff(different/more pets than LM/captain) or could be accomplished by slightly changing an existing class(adding a fourth traitline to everyone f.e.). You could add heavy shields to captains as a trait, give them a toggle increasing their threat and presto you would have a Heal/Tank hybrid.

So instead of another class, i would want to add more depth and specialization options to the current classes. Make players choose their traitline, but then make that choice matter more. Also some traitlines are kinda broken and lacking purpose, giving them a purpose might help alot.

• willo248willo248 Member Posts: 346

Originally posted by Athcear

I could certainly see some kind of mounted warrior Rohirrim class.

That's deffinately a possibility, Turbines already revealed that there in the alpha of develloping mounted combat.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by willo248

Originally posted by Athcear

I could certainly see some kind of mounted warrior Rohirrim class.

That's deffinately a possibility, Turbines already revealed that there in the alpha of develloping mounted combat.

Well, from the link that is posted in the "future development" thread;

How's mounted combat coming along? Good news on this front: Mounted combat is deep in development and has reached the prototype stage. It's something they want to do right.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Corsair...

That wouldnt be lore breaking and it would be fun.

Spy...

or something along the line...

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Originally posted by rozenblade1

Corsair...

That wouldnt be lore breaking and it would be fun.

Spy...

or something along the line...

Ooh spy, I like that. It could be a cross between a burg and a hunter. Not a basd idea. AND THEN THEY COULD NERF IT INTO USELESSNESS!!!!!!!!!!MUAAHAHHAAAHHAAAA.

Seriously though Spy or Corsair could be very cool.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• MorrowbreezeMorrowbreeze Member CommonPosts: 141

Earth kin! We could have an Earth Kin Race. Playing the bongos, and scratching and sniffing could be new skills to advance. And consider Basketball as a hobby! These guys would rock!

Peasants! Mob rule would be the class! Pitchforks and shovels and frying pans rule the day as weapons. Fear my wheelbarrow!

Bartenders! Weapons could be the PINT mug with offhand towel! Use a broom for ranged!  fight to keep the mobs inebriated before you drop them~!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Matt_UK

I'd like to see a straightforward EQ style Warrior class that can both deal damage and take it,

Its called a 2handed guardian.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Would a druid-type class be too much for the lore police?

The main reason I hardly play LoTRO anymore is because the universe is too magic-restricted. There are no mages, wizards, warlocks, necromancers or anything actually fun to play as. Even the heretical rune-keeper is a bloody bore. 

And before the lore police get me, I've read the books. I know what the rules are. 

Originally posted by WhySoShort

The main reason I hardly play LoTRO anymore is because the universe is too magic-restricted. There are no mages, wizards, warlocks, necromancers or anything actually fun to play as. Even the heretical rune-keeper is a bloody bore. 

And before the lore police get me, I've read the books. I know what the rules are. 

lore police huh?

did you ever think, at any time, ever actually consider, that "the lore police" are really people who are interested in playing in the specific world of "the lord of the rings"? In Middle Earth.

Magic restricted huh?

Did you ever think that, given what is possible that the world is not "magic restricted" but that the manifistation of magic is quite profound given the setting? But you know what? Maybe subtlety is just not in some players vocabulary. That's fine, no reason why it should be but more is the pity.

the problem with this type of thinking is that it suggests that you want to play dungeons and dragons.

With a lord of the rings skin.

just like having jets in a world war 1 game is out of place or having machine guns in a game that is based on the roman empire is preposterous so is the "everyone throwing fireballs and summoning demons" idea. or whatever you want to insert in a world that is rife with obvious magic.

an interesting point is that the early Advanced Dungeons and dragons books suggested that some D&D campaigns could be rife with magic or that magic could be an extremely rare thing.

I wonder if anyone here has played dungeons and dragons in a world where magic was very rare?

It's an interesting way of playing and really highlights the effect of "magic". It makes the smallest injection of magic something that sends ripples throughout the entire game. Instead of making it a commonplace it makes it quite profound. and deadly.

In any case it has nothing to do with "lore police' though I imagine that any game based on the lord of the rings in the most strict sense might feel confining to those who are interest in a dungeons and dragons game.

still, middle earth is a very interesting place if one really looks at how magic in middle earth manifests itself.

or we can just throw in everything but the kitchen sink and bastardize the whole thing.

as far as your question, if you read the books and know what is possible then you can answer your own question, no?

Other than that, my only guess is that Radagast the Brown is closer a druid ideal.

But I'm not aware of a lesser being coming close. Then again, it might be possible. I mean, if necromancy is known to exist then why not some sort of magic that is close to druidism?

Still, isn't the current lore master class closer to a druid?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Sovrath

lore police huh?

did you ever think, at any time, ever actually consider, that "the lore police" are really people who are interested in playing in the specific world of "the lord of the rings"? In Middle Earth.

Magic restricted huh?

Did you ever think that, given what is possible that the world is not "magic restricted" but that the manifistation of magic is quite profound given the setting? But you know what? Maybe subtlety is just not in some players vocabulary. That's fine, no reason why it should but more is the pity.

the problem with this type of thinking is that you want to play dungeons and dragons.

just like having jets in a world war 1 game is out of place or having machine guns in a game that is based on the roman empire is preposterous.

an interesting point is that the early Advanced Dungeons and dragons books suggested that some D&D campaigns could be rife with magic or that magic could be an extremely rare thing.

I wonder if anyone here has played dungeons and dragons in a world where magic was very rare?

It's an interesting way of playing and really highlights the effect of "magic". It makes the smallest injection of magic something that sends ripples throughout the entire game.

In any case it has nothing to do with "lore police' though I imagine that any game based on the lord of the rings in the most strict sense might feel confining to those who are interest in a dungeons and dragons game.

still, middle earth is a very interesting place if one really looks at how magic in middle earth manifests itself.

or we can just throw in everything but the kitchen sink and bastardize the whole thing.

A request for a little more magic is worth "bastardize?"

It seems to me that all of this "lore policing" is very selective. I mean, no one complains about the thousands of Hobbits leaving Bree and the Shire and going to war or Skorgrim, a major character who as far as I can tell doesn't exist in lore at all. The Earth-kin, the zombies, the out-of-place goblins, they all get by without a word of protest. But the minute I bring up magic it's "Off to DDO you heretic!" Tolkien didn't write a game, he wrote a book, and I think it's expected to alter lore a little to make the game actually enjoyable for people looking for things other than the immersion experience. 

But back on TOPIC. Is a druid (a nature caster that isn't a chemist and pet-hoarder) a damnable violation of lore or even a good idea?

lore police huh?

Magic restricted huh?

Did you ever think that, given what is possible that the world is not "magic restricted" but that the manifistation of magic is quite profound given the setting? But you know what? Maybe subtlety is just not in some players vocabulary. That's fine, no reason why it should but more is the pity.

the problem with this type of thinking is that you want to play dungeons and dragons.

just like having jets in a world war 1 game is out of place or having machine guns in a game that is based on the roman empire is preposterous.

It's an interesting way of playing and really highlights the effect of "magic". It makes the smallest injection of magic something that sends ripples throughout the entire game.

It seems to me that all of this "lore policing" is very selective. I mean, no one complains about the thousands of Hobbits leaving Bree and the Shire and going to war or Skorgrim, a major character who as far as I can tell doesn't exist in lore at all. The Earth-kin, the zombies, the out-of-place goblins, they all get by without a word of protest. But the minute I bring up magic it's "Off to DDO you heretic!" Tolkien didn't write a game, he wrote a book, and I think it's expected to alter lore a little to make the game actually enjoyable for people looking for things other than the immersion experience. 

But back on TOPIC. Is a druid (a nature caster that isn't a chemist and pet-hoarder) a damnable violation of lore or even a good idea?

I answered your question in my edit.

And "yes" people have complained about skorgrim as well as a slew of other items.

This is all landscape that has been covered before. Since closed beta actually. Or do I need to go into a separte post about how the bows were a huge topic for debate? And quite frankly, rightly so, they look ridiculous.

One argument is that the world of middle earth is large so that the inclusion of characters not in the books is not "bad" per se provided they follow the logic of the books.

In any case, off to DDO you go. image

In any caes, just kidding and if you haven't tried the game you should try it. Even though it "tries" to stick closer to a specific type of world over "magic is everywhere and isn't it all wonderous and, er 'magical'"

Originally posted by wasim470

i don't  really care about the lore any more if the game will keep the lore and kill it self coz of it ............. meh no thanx

Give us Wizards .......... rangers.........Knights

i would like to see somthing fast based we have the classy slow kinds of classes already

Why would the game kill itself for being what it is?

Again, and no one ever really addresses this: if you are playign a wwII game wouldn't you expect to see things that were in WWII?

If you are playing a game based on the roman empire wouldn't you expect to see things that were used in the hey day of rome?

If you are playing a game based on space 1999 then why would you want transporters?

Essentialy what this come down to is that players are looking for dungeons and dragons but different worlds to play dungeons and dragons.

And I highly doubt that most players played D&D in a magic rare world. For some reason some players think that if they can't play in a world where everything is possible then it's no fun.

• CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

Deathknight and Paladin.

WoW has these and they are very popular. If Turbine wants to be popular they need these classes.

lore police huh?

Magic restricted huh?

I answered your question in my edit.

And "yes" people have complained about skorgrim as well as a slew of other items.

This is all landscape that has been covered before. Since closed beta actually. Or do I need to go into a separte post about how the bows were a huge topic for debate? And quite frankly, rightly so, they look ridiculous.

One argument is that the world of middle earth is large so that the inclusion of characters not in the books is not "bad" per se provided they follow the logic of the books.

In any case, off to DDO you go. image

In any caes, just kidding and if you haven't tried the game you should try it. Even though it "tries" to stick closer to a specific type of world over "magic is everywhere and isn't it all wonderous and, er 'magical'"

I have played DDO, actual. I liked it, but it was too, well, D&D for me. I want a visual game. And by my standards, both DDO and LoTRO have a shameful lack of fireballs. Are fireballs worth sacrificing lore for? I think so, but maybe more people don't agree with me, and that's perfectly alright.

If you really want to make the classes more interesting, give burglars and hunters slingshots! 

I have played DDO, actual. I liked it, but it was too, well, D&D for me. I want a visual game. And by my standards, both DDO and LoTRO have a shameful lack of fireballs. Are fireballs worth sacrificing lore for? I think so, but maybe more people don't agree with me, and that's perfectly alright.

Well, there are people who love christina aguilera and brittany spears.

Their music is bombastic and visceral. And I suppose one can dance to them.

Other than that, it's not really "good" music if one wants to look at in depth musical composition. Then again are they about that? They do a good job at what they do. but i'm not going to start complaining that they don't really explore harmonic or rhythmic depth. They aren't about that. they are about something else. More power to the people who love them. Some people love in depth musical ideas and some people want to bop. I get that.

Now, can you tell me how many times a fire ball is thrown in any part of the Lord of the Rings?

And I'll ask you again, are you really interested in playing "the lord of the rings"?

Some will say Turbine did a great job. Some will say they threw the baby out with the bath water. And some, like me, are in between.

Still, I"m interested in playing in a world that is closer to middle earth than not. I tyhink playing in a specific setting is fun. Which means if the setting is filled with fire balls and I like the setting then i"m there. If magic only manifests itself as hexes and suggestions of voo doo and I like the setting then I'm there.

I care about setting.

So again, and I'll wait, please tell me how many times an actual fireball was thrown in any part of "the lord of the rings".

Chances are, and it's not even a fireball, it was Gandalf. Who is sort of like a demi-god.

That's the setting we are talking about and that's why it's difficult for players to really wrap their mind around the setting they are in. Because they are used to Dungeons and Dragons and the very idea of a fantasy game not allowing them the breadth of magical choices is hard to come to terms with. I get it. don't think I don't.

But when every game starts incorporating the same stuff over and over and over and over again they start becoming a homogenous piece of junk. Nothign separates them apart other than some story that no one reads.

Originally posted by CzechGuy

Deathknight and Paladin.

WoW has these and they are very popular. If Turbine wants to be popular they need these classes.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. image

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

I'd like to see creep classes that have a chance in hell of being evenly matched with freeps in at least some cases.

I don't play anymore, because it was so godawfuly balanced. But I did learn over two years that they had no intention of ever balancing it. So I doubt it's changed since. And yes I know about the new (proposed) changes comming. (That will never happen.)

-Ex LOTRO player, and never again.

PS: Since that was such a negative post overall, let me compensate with that the game's 99.9% PVE content was decent enough, just not my style.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Well, there are people who love christina aguilera and brittany spears.

Their music is bombastic and visceral. And I suppose one can dance to them.

Other than that, it's not really "good" music if one wants to look at in depth musical composition. Then again are they about that? They do a good job at what they do. but i'm not going to start complaining that they don't really explore harmonic or rhythmic depth. They aren't about that. they are about something else. More power to the people who love them. Some people love in depth musical ideas and some people want to bop. I get that.

Now, can you tell me how many times a fire ball is thrown in any part of the Lord of the Rings?

And I'll ask you again, are you really interested in playing "the lord of the rings"?

Some will say Turbine did a great job. Some will say they threw the baby out with the bath water. And some, like me, are in between.

Still, I"m interested in playing in a world that is closer to middle earth than not. I tyhink playing in a specific setting is fun. Which means if the setting is filled with fire balls and I like the setting then i"m there. If magic only manifests itself as hexes and suggestions of voo doo and I like the setting then I'm there.

I care about setting.

So again, and I'll wait, please tell me how many times an actual fireball was thrown in any part of "the lord of the rings".

Chances are, and it's not even a fireball, it was Gandalf. Who is sort of like a demi-god.

That's the setting we are talking about and that's why it's difficult for players to really wrap their mind around the setting they are in. Because they are used to Dungeons and Dragons and the very idea of a fantasy game not allowing them the breadth of magical choices is hard to come to terms with. I get it. don't think I don't.

But when every game starts incorporating the same stuff over and over and over and over again they start becoming a homogenous piece of junk. Nothign separates them apart other than some story that no one reads.

There's a lot of stuff in lotro that isn't in the books or the movies... does this mean they don't belong, or are the designers of the game allowed to take creative license and make something "fun"?  Honestly, I don't see how you can be okay with the minstrel screaming and hurting a guy from a distance but not be okay with the idea of more flashy magic spells like a fireball.

Originally posted by rygard49

There's a lot of stuff in lotro that isn't in the books or the movies... does this mean they don't belong, or are the designers of the game allowed to take creative license and make something "fun"?  Honestly, I don't see how you can be okay with the minstrel screaming and hurting a guy from a distance but not be okay with the idea of more flashy magic spells like a fireball.

I challenge you to find any post where I say this is "okay".

In any case,  creative license is one thing. changing a game and adding what just does not make sense to the IP is another.

Do I need to offer the world war one or roman examples again?

bah, nevermind, I see where you are coming from "Over exaggeration is underrated."

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

LOTRO doesn't need new classes, they really need to upgrade their combat system and animations. It feels like you're fighting in a pool of molasses and looks bad too. The graphics are "fine", they could leave those alone. New animations aren't hard to make, neither is making the controls a little more responsive.

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

LOTRO doesn't need new classes, they really need to upgrade their combat system and animations. It feels like you're fighting in a pool of molasses and looks bad too. The graphics are "fine", they could leave those alone. New animations aren't hard to make, neither is making the controls a little more responsive.

this I could agree with.

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

YES.

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Rocketeer

Actually Necromancers are in the lore. Sauron reappearence in the third age was first contributed to the appearence of someone called the Necromancer, and only later Gandalf entered his Tower in Gol Guldur to discover his true identity. If Necromancy required some form of magic unattainable by mortal races everyone would have immediatly known the Necromancer was Sauron, since he was the only Maiar turned evil with a history of working with undead. But they didn't even suspect it was Sauron, because raising dead in ME is downright easy, hell if you accidently bury people in an evil place they sometimes rise all on their own.

That being said, any Necromancer in LotRO would probably:

1. Undead himself.

2. Extremely evil/corrupted.

3. In service of Sauron or hiding from him.(With emphasis on hiding, so not going around raising undead armies)

4. Not being able to do a whole lot magically(not a maiar/elf), he would most likely only bring already existing undead under his control or create new ones by ritually killing evil men in a special place or something(probably aided by some dark power, sauron isn't the only evil being capable of true magic left over from the first age).

The only thing we really know is that Necromancers are rare and a kinda big deal, which both speaks greatly against players being able to play them imho.

As a playable class i think we are at the end of the rainbow, anything i could think of would be either fluff(different/more pets than LM/captain) or could be accomplished by slightly changing an existing class(adding a fourth traitline to everyone f.e.). You could add heavy shields to captains as a trait, give them a toggle increasing their threat and presto you would have a Heal/Tank hybrid.

So instead of another class, i would want to add more depth and specialization options to the current classes. Make players choose their traitline, but then make that choice matter more. Also some traitlines are kinda broken and lacking purpose, giving them a purpose might help alot.

Thats a long post with a lot of thought.  Unfortunately, the very first sentence is completely wrong.  "The Necromancer" referred to in the Hobbit *is* Sauron.  This is a well known aspect of the Tolkien story.  It's *in the Lord of the Rings" which, amazingly, no one seems to have read despite playing LoTRO.  I realize that most are either incapable of reading or unwilling to, but at least try to respect that there *is* some point to this setting.

They already pretty much shredded the lore with the way they've handled magic. There is nothing *remotely* like this in LoTR or the Hobbit.  There are no "wizards"; Gandalf and his ilk aren't human.  They are more along the lines of angels sent to watch over man, one at a time.  Hence Sauron->Saruman->Ganfalf.  One falls, then another, to corruption so it is left to Gandalf to lead the lands of men to overcome.

I subscribed lifetime to LoTR right at release after beta.  I knew that the lore of LoTR never *really* grabbed me and that I would probably not be able to get into it, but I still thought it was a cool idea.  I had real fears, though, that there was no way the world could stay pure.  Too many gamers are too ignorant and self focused.  They just want a "new game" that isnt the "old game" they are bitter and angry over.  A new chance to try to be "the MAN" ahead of everyone else since they were either too late/too slow in the old game, or everyone caught up and they dont like it.  Over the years "old game" has been UO, EQ, lately WoW.

In most cames, it hardly matters b/c they're all clones.  But LoTR is different.  Despite being the progenitor of modern fantasy, D&D changed things enough that LoTR seems "off" to most who only know these things reflexively.  "Where's the wizards???? why no Dragon Riders?!?!?!?" that kind of thing.

Of course Turbine caved in and we have all kinds of magic users running all over the place in a world where magic pretty much shouldnt exist at all.  And then you have true fans disheartened by this, "true gamers" who don't care, yet wont just play something else, and then others who want to try to twist and torture the *very clear and definite lore* in order to rationalize it.

So at this point, sure... Why not... I agree with the guy who said space marine.  I think the new LoTRO class should be space marine.  Makes about as much sense in context as "necromancer" does.  If you cant understand that., try actually READING THE BOOKS.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Cave troll.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.