Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which FPS takes the most skill?

sekirasekira Member UncommonPosts: 76

My nominee: Quake Live

Shoutcast of one of the best matches from a tournament this past weekend:

http://www.own3d.tv/video/81793/ESL_IEM_5_World_finals_Semi-Final__2__Strenx_vs_Cooller

Quake live is a free game you play in your browser. www.quakelive.com

Comments

• cloverpoecloverpoe Member Posts: 8

Tried quake live, its a pretty good game almost copied the quake game which i play on my old lappy. OT for me its call of duty 2 because of its great gameplay specially in multiplayer.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Bulletstorm. :p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

Video games do not require skills.

You need sight, which 99% of the population has.

A mouse with a functional click which over 99% of computer owners have

A computer that can render the graphics of a game, which roughly only 10% of computer owners have. (keep in mind that is including companies)

Skills, should you have some, do not involve computer games. If you can point and click, you're good at FPS, its not skill. Its having eyes and a computer that can render your graphics at an acceptable rate for your brain to be able to process the information recieved. 80% of humans would be able to achieve that said "skill" should they have the "deadication" to waste their lives with little colored blocks.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by jackmcleod

A computer that can render the graphics of a game, which roughly only 10% of computer owners have. (keep in mind that is including companies)

Skills, should you have some, do not involve computer games. If you can point and click, you're good at FPS, its not skill. Its having eyes and a computer that can render your graphics at an acceptable rate for your brain to be able to process the information recieved. 80% of humans would be able to achieve that said "skill" should they have the "deadication" to waste their lives with little colored blocks.

Sounds like someone got killed by headshots one too many times and doesn't like playing FPS games anymore.

Seriously though, I would say that your definition of "skill" is lacking.  Watch some Quake 3 competition, takes more skill than you would think.  Knowing the map inside and out, tracking the respawns of various power ups, knowing how to speed up your movement with jumping mechanics and rocket jumping.  Not to mention, lets see how "easy" it is to point and click on people moving at high speed with a rail gun.  As with anything, the more time you put into it, the more skilled you become at said activity.

You say a person wastes their lives on "little colored blocks." but how is that for you to judge?

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

MAG......best underrated fps game and the best console fps period.

many have cried and quit.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

ArmA II.

I want to get MAG but I hate console shotting stuff. I want a mouse, damn you, a mouse I say!

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I will say going from my old pc to my awesome new one + an awesome monitor helped my K/d A LOT, you can still tell great players from good ones.

Saying that look and click gives you skill is silly.  That does rather make it sound like you are rather poor at FPS. That's fine.

Each person can claim one type of FPS requires more skill then another.  I personally like something a little more realisitic.  Battlefield has been my fps of choice since W:ET. I've always preferred an objective based game over rambo shooting.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by Irishoak

ArmA II.

agreed:D  you actually have to aim with arma2 :D  unlike other FPS where you just spray and pray:D

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Originally posted by psyclum

Originally posted by Irishoak

ArmA II.

agreed:D  you actually have to aim with arma2 :D  unlike other FPS where you just spray and pray:D

And adjust for drop! Unless you spawn as a goat...

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by jackmcleod

skill

n.

1. Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience. See Synonyms at ability.

a. An art, trade, or technique, particularly one requiring use of the hands or body.

b. A developed talent or ability

tal·ent

n.

1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See Synonyms at ability.

a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.

b. A person or group of people having such ability: The company makes good use of its talent.

3. A variable unit of weight and money used in ancient Greece, Rome, and the Middle East.

In a FPS, if you don't have good reaction time, then you don't have skill. Reaction time is a Talent, it can be improved on, but it can not be learned. Some people have it some people don't, those who don't have it, can do absolutely nothing about it. There are military studies that show that the top tier FPS players have better reaction time than the top tier fighter pilots. 

Raction time consists of the speed at which you can properly respond to a threat. This incorporates many different factors, such as what you're going to do, what the other person is going to do, and what you can do to achieve the most desirable outcome, as well as quite a few other things that I don't need to mention. As a Mid Tier FPS player, I can say that all these things have to go through your head in hundreths of a second. (Mid Tier meaning I can probably pwn anyone on these boards, but not the top Tier players who get flown to events just to play. lol)

If that's not skill, I'm really not sure what is.

My vote is for CoD, since it requires all the things other people have mentioned along with extremly fast paced game play. 

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

in mag many times ive 1v1 encountered lmg guys and killed them with a pistol or sniper rifle. lmg used to be the #1 killers until the nerf. they are stil great for tight areas like funnels, suppression and room clearing. 

mag shooting  take skills but, does lack that realism in aa3, arma2 or bfbc. but, comparing sniping with bfbc. i would say MAG is harder to snipe.

the longer you're in the scope the more dead you are, especially when you have a red triangle above your head. this is why its so unfreandly to snipers but, i stil manage to kill 30 - 50 a game.

action sim tactical would be the best way to discribe it.

no aimbotter to worried about, is why i love console fps.

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

Mount & Blade Warband has to be a contender for requiring some decent skills in my opinion.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

CSS or CoD4(when using promod)