Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift setting itself up in 'direct' competition?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

A minimal of 1 hour per account is enough for it to be counted as a sub for that month. Now, of course when one plays there's obviously more hours that someone plays, but the bare minimum is one hour or one gaming session to be counted as a sub.

Blizzard announced the 12 milion subs the month after the WotlK release in China, if the increase in subs from there would have surpassed the 13 or even 12.5 million, my guess is that they would've announced that, at least in their quarterly conference meetings.

CATA could maybe increase the subs total, but so far I've seen no announcement about it, while the 12million subs one came right the month after WotLK release.

Probably but I never really read exactly how they count them... But you probably have, I do assume what you say but anyything from them having an account (All Chinese F2P games count that way) to them playing a certain number of hours eaach month is possible unless they actually stated if officially. 

And yes, 13M would probably been something they would have said but they really could be keep 12,5 to themselves.

Really knowing Wows player number without a resent statement is really hard at best.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Originally posted by hazy

Rift felt jus like WoW to me, I wouldn't put any money on it being a "WoW Killer" just another WoW Clone.

WoW clone...and WoW Killer...... Again the magic words.....this is a loop.

Everytime a game comes out, all chats are overflooded with that over and over....

It´s a mmo............. all mmo´s are alike...all shooters are alike...all driving games are alike....

I have played myself WoW for over 4 years...but ffs i enjoy other games...i´m not obssesed.

And mostly i don´t understand why people have the need to defend WoW or attack it like only one game can exist at a time...

there are plenty of people for both and more!

I just pray to God not to see in SWTOR or Guild Wars 2 chats on launch day those magic words again :/

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

actually my buddy brought up a good point about how does those ads not infringe on wow. saying we arent in azeroth anymore could easily be used by blizzard i should think. and honestly just seems like more flash and some fancy language to pass off another cookie cutter. i could be wrong but unless they reinvented the wheel as it were then even if rift is a competitor whats to compete grind xp raise in lvl beat up dungeons. mmos need a new direction not the same direction

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by joker007mo

actually my buddy brought up a good point about how does those ads not infringe on wow. saying we arent in azeroth anymore could easily be used by blizzard i should think. and honestly just seems like more flash and some fancy language to pass off another cookie cutter. i could be wrong but unless they reinvented the wheel as it were then even if rift is a competitor whats to compete grind xp raise in lvl beat up dungeons. mmos need a new direction not the same direction

ya there is no infringement. coke commercials have pepsi in the, and vice versa. i like the saying. it doesn't necessarily mean it's taking a jab at WoW but it's more like saying 'hey....we're different' 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I don't hate WoW by any means but it is just so nice to see a company take a nice big swing at the 800lb gorilla for once. Wow is not the end all and be all that some media and fans make it out to be.

Originally posted by TheMinn

ya there is no infringement. coke commercials have pepsi in the, and vice versa. i like the saying. it doesn't necessarily mean it's taking a jab at WoW but it's more like saying 'hey....we're different' 

i suppose your right but its blizzard here i dont see them not finding someway to say something about it and it does feel like a jab at wow why else use the line in the first place you know? and those are also soda commercials not video games where you practically have to sign away your soul to play it and every little thing is covered in a eula i cant use my character in youtube for my video i made of my character from wow because it infringed on blizzard and they had it removed

so using the word azeroth could be seen as infringement

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

They have been using that line for quite a long time now. If they want to take Blizzard on, more power to them. But they will lose. That is not an opinion. That is objective fact. You make a game similar to WoW and try to go one-on-one? They will eat you for dinner. Unless you innovate (mix and match talent trees do not count), then you do not have a chance.

I wish I knew what their thought process was on this marketing campaign. People would not change games to play more of the same.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• xK3runexK3rune Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

They have been using that line for quite a long time now. If they want to take Blizzard on, more power to them. But they will lose. That is not an opinion. That is objective fact. You make a game similar to WoW and try to go one-on-one? They will eat you for dinner. Unless you innovate (mix and match talent trees do not count), then you do not have a chance.

I wish I knew what their thought process was on this marketing campaign. People would not change games to play more of the same.

I wish individuals would stop thinking like they're smarter than groups of people, simply because of one way they perceive things that SEEM right to them.

And.. people would not change games to play more of the same? Uh.. yes they would. People are jumping from DotA to LoL and HoN are they not? Think more before you keep convincing yourself that everything you say is true because you thought of it and it made sense inside your head.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by ste2000

Originally posted by jason_webb

Everyone that is on the site at the moment couldn't have missed the rift ads running down the sides and bottom of the screen with a small rift movie and the followed by the tag "We're not in Azeroth anymore,"

Is rift setting itself up in direct competition with WoW now and do you feel it is a wise move on the part of the rift advertisers to do so? There is no way to read this advert other than a direct poke at Warcraft and to tell it's players that it is time to make a switch and you have got to be pretty confident you have something special to offer if you are going to set yourself up as the game to take WoW's player base away.

Thoughts?

Good luck with that.

Everyone has been trying to do the same since WoW came out, with the only difference that Rift marketing team actually used an effective way to enphasize this.

Problem is that WoW is not done yet.

Of course there is the occasional burn out period, but WoW is the best Theme Park MMO out there.

Rift is just a distraction, the new kid on the block, but it's not going to worry Blizzard

pride comes befour the fall :p

Wow doesnt have to die for me tough....i have no probs with wow altough i am into rift right now :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

OP, you obviously like WoW. You have also heard about that Rift slogan and now wonder about it.

Basically that proves that their marketing strategy, whatever that is, is working.

For me that I no longer care about Azeroth, that advertisment is tasteless and quite useless. But I guess I'm not its target.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Xasapis

OP, you obviously like WoW. You have also heard about that Rift slogan and now wonder about it.

Basically that proves that their marketing strategy, whatever that is, is working.

For me that I no longer care about Azeroth, that advertisment is tasteless and quite useless. But I guess I'm not its target.

I don't see that it proves it is working as i have no intention of moving to Rift, my question was really about whether it was a smart move to set themselves up in direct competition with WoW as surely all that can lead to is direct comparisons between them both and that surely cannot be a good thing.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I think it was more about an unknown person trying to generate hype about himself kind of thing. Not a direct competitor, but perhaps a non competitor that knows what he is but tries to present himself as cocky to score some popularity points.

Like, say, a guy with a frying pan and a hammer hitting that frying pan making a rackus. You know that's stupid and tastelss, but he sure makes a lot of bloody noise.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I just think it s good marketing honestly.   However I would love to see rift add a couple of other tag lines.   Like this is not war hammer you know.  Or   this is not your daddies Lotro or DnD.

Honestly they might pull folks from wow, those who are feed up and not happy.  Who cares about blizzard; theyare the big gorilla in the room the can afford to shed some players.

Besides competition is suposed to be good for business.

WoW does not need to shed a single player. The ex-wowers or at least the people who have played WoW at some point in time, vastly outnumber the current subscription base. Take any wild guess about retention, then consider the years WoW is running, then consider the players that have been replaced over those years, especially after major expansion.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I played my DK to 85 and ran some 5 mans and got bored and said let me try a fresh start. I took a Pally to 60 and said, oh well that was fun while it lasted. Now I play Rift and have cancelled my WoW account. Will I never play WoW again? Well I can't say that but I know it won't be for a long time if I do.

Rift is not new but it's a fresh take on the genre and it's given me something I haven't felt from a MMORPG in a long time, excitement. I find myself actually wanting to fire up this game, not like with WoW where I'd sign on and force myself to play. I've played WoW off and on since launch, hell I even played in WoW's beta for a while. It's been a long time and a long evolution that game has gone through and well frankly it's boring now.

As for rift setting itself up to be direct competition? Well who else are they supposed to compete with? And really, who cares who they compete with. They have managed to take a stale formula and freshen it up and for that they deserve to siphon player from WoW. WoW can stand to lose a few players. The thing about being top dog is eventually you fall off the stack. I don't think Rift will do it, but it's certainly going to try.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Pretty much everyone I know in WoW intends to try Rift or is already playing it . Some are just doing it for a break and others are playing both . No one I know as yet has quit one game for the other but its early days . There is word going around in the WoW community that its a decent game and you dont see much of the "RIFT sucks" sort of comment at least among the more mature players . I cen see myself becoming a bit an mmo nomad so RIFT when I play it will keep me out of WoW for several months . I'll proberbly play WoW a few months a year still but I certainly wont have a constant subscription there as in the past .

With all the new interesting mmos coming out I can see myself spending less and less time in Aseroth . It will effect the numbers of WoW subs eventually as more decent game are released and the developers do seam to be starting to get it right at last . I can foresee WoW sub base being a third to a half of what it is now in 5 years time . But even then it'll still command a decent 4-6 million subs .

RIFT is not the WoWkiller but it proves a new mmo can do well and the more competition there is the better . Obviously not good for Blizzard though it may make them put more effort into the next expansion after the lackluster Cataclysm .

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

If anything Blizzard might be infringing on this author's work :-

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-88677-877-8c.html

The book 'fires of azeroth' was written well before the original warcraft games, late 70's I believe.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by slim26

WoW will not fall, just stop with this please. RIFT is the new great way to enjoy another type of content while taking a break from WoW! What I am saying is we have two worlds to enjoy now,

RIFT is the prince, WoW is the king I say RIFT is the prince, WoW is the king WoW WoW is the king RIFT RIFT is the prince.

Eventually the King either dies on the throne or abdicates in favor of the Prince.  Are you saying that too?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by xK3rune

I wish individuals would stop thinking like they're smarter than groups of people, simply because of one way they perceive things that SEEM right to them.

And.. people would not change games to play more of the same? Uh.. yes they would. People are jumping from DotA to LoL and HoN are they not? Think more before you keep convincing yourself that everything you say is true because you thought of it and it made sense inside your head.

Good point.

+1

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Pretty much everyone I know in WoW intends to try Rift or is already playing it . Some are just doing it for a break and others are playing both . No one I know as yet has quit one game for the other but its early days .

With all the new interesting mmos coming out I can see myself spending less and less time in Aseroth . It will effect the numbers of WoW subs eventually as more decent game are released and the developers do seam to be starting to get it right at last .

RIFT is not the WoWkiller but it proves a new mmo can do well and the more competition there is the better .

And this.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Silverthorn8

If anything Blizzard might be infringing on this author's work :-

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-88677-877-8c.html

The book 'fires of azeroth' was written well before the original warcraft games, late 70's I believe.

good point though in that case ones a book the other is a game and they may have paid for the rights to the book i doubt it but still i guess its possible

though i must add the entire time i played i really couldnt follow the story that well didnt seem like there was one just a bunch of side stories

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I played WoW for quite a number of years on and off, and am now playing RIFT. Let me put it like this: if you're new to MMOs, or actually in the mood for WoW, then WoW is the way to go. If you've played WoW for a while and are just tired of what it offers, Rift is amazing. I've come back for every WoW expansion and it's always the same old due to the setting and game engine. Sure, they make some major changes to make it feel different, but it is still the same game. Rift offers a completely new world to breath in.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

I played my DK to 85 and ran some 5 mans and got bored and said let me try a fresh start. I took a Pally to 60 and said, oh well that was fun while it lasted. Now I play Rift and have cancelled my WoW account. Will I never play WoW again? Well I can't say that but I know it won't be for a long time if I do.

Rift is not new but it's a fresh take on the genre and it's given me something I haven't felt from a MMORPG in a long time, excitement. I find myself actually wanting to fire up this game, not like with WoW where I'd sign on and force myself to play. I've played WoW off and on since launch, hell I even played in WoW's beta for a while. It's been a long time and a long evolution that game has gone through and well frankly it's boring now.

As for rift setting itself up to be direct competition? Well who else are they supposed to compete with? And really, who cares who they compete with. They have managed to take a stale formula and freshen it up and for that they deserve to siphon player from WoW. WoW can stand to lose a few players. The thing about being top dog is eventually you fall off the stack. I don't think Rift will do it, but it's certainly going to try.

I'm just curious because these kind of posts crap me up. But playing 7+ years of a game, you're telling me that you never got excited in firing the game up?

I think it's silly to compare how you felt about a game you've owned less than a month to a game that you played (and in all likelyhood loved) for 7 years.

I don't believe this whole "forced myself to log on" thing carried on for 7 years. If it did, then man you're kind of a doof lol.

Yes Rift has set itself up for direct competition. Personally I think comparative advertising is tacky and tasteless, but that's just me. I hate hearing about how this hyundai is this much better than camry and accord, it's still a damn hyundai.

Rift can be a decent game with a strong following, but it's not going to be the "next big thing".

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

OK nobody can forsurely say that Rift cant be the ender of WoW, nobody knows the future ok, all we can say right now with all information gathered and both games gameplay put head to head, Rift is makeing WoW look like a little bitch right now (Overall gameplay, New content, and style, showing that Blizzard is just adding more of the same stuff, lvls and dungeons, and avoiding adding real content that will spice the game up more)

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Snakex

OK nobody can forsurely say that Rift cant be the ender of WoW, nobody knows the future ok, all we can say right now with all information gathered and both games gameplay put head to head, Rift is makeing WoW look like a little bitch right now (Overall gameplay, New content, and style, showing that Blizzard is just adding more of the same stuff, lvls and dungeons, and avoiding adding real content that will spice the game up more)

lol I'm sorry but what exactly do you think is going to be so new and exciting when you get to 50? It's just going to be the same gear/raid/treadmill as WoW.

With all information gathered Rift is making WoW look like a little b---? Really? I'm just curious, what information gathered you're using. 1 mil subs give or take is pretty good, sure, but please explain to me how that's making 12 mill subs look like a little b----.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

The thing is this... Blizz has the money but they've not much with WoW to be honest.

Look at what LotRO, EQ2 and now Rift have done and bring to the table.

Each of those games has some really nice stuff or have added some nice new mechanics and elements to their game.

Blizz has the same boring pvp/bg maps and it's very unbalanced and this brings me to arena which has ruined the classes in WoW because Blizz in their wisdom thinks they can balance the classes around arena and say fuck pve.

EQ2 is up to 7 expansions I think and several adventure packs, EQ itself is up to like 17 expansions and still going.

Things like guild halls, player housing, in depth crafting system social elements for endgame that does not involve combat or running duneons/raiding. Player mentor system, appearance tab and armor dyes.

More races and classes and much bigger world to explore and ways to do it better.

WoW's success was the fact it was so easy to pick up and play... so east my 6yr old did it.

This is also the bane of WoW and one the reason it has a terrible community/player base.

I'm personally holding out for World of Darkness or Starwars: ToR but Rift has been fun and I look forward to seeing how it grows in time.

6yrs and WoW to me = World of Clones and a very boring MMO with nothing to do but raid and wait for the next update so you can chase more gear.... yawn! Lets hope Blizz gets their head their ass and brings something new to WoW's endgame.

Otherwise when WoD and SW:ToR launch and GW2 and RiFt ... WoW bleeds of subscribers left and right and the fat cash cow finally goes down.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?