Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shaman have pets, just like rangers?

So shamans and rangers have pets in this game, is that right?

That would be nice!

Comments

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

Shamans get pets, yes. A bear (tank), wolf (dps) or a Pheonix (spellcaster/healer)...they can also change forms to one of them as well. You can only pick one though, can't have two or all three.

Rangers do get pets as well, different types of animal pets...but they are more like companions. They can't tank for you, and they are more of a small dot to add to your attacks. They are still neat, if you see them as just that...a companion.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

I can't speak much about the shaman pet, but be aware that the quest for the Ranger pet is a little funky if you are doing in as a Wood Elf. There is a work around for it, because one of the zones changed level requirements. 

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Hmm, what about those epic Ranger pets, they do more than a small dot?

Thanks for all the replies too!

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by meleemadness

Hmm, what about those epic Ranger pets, they do more than a small dot?

Thanks for all the replies too!

A ranger pet can never come close to a shammy pet. Their are only two true pet classes in Vanguard,that's a necro and a shammy.

Ranger pets are more like companions than full blown pets,don't expect that pet to keep you alive because it wont.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Actually, only Necromancers and Bear Shamans are actually pet classes.

Neither the Wolf nor the Phoenix Shaman nor any of the Ranger pets have the ability to keep aggro. The Ranger pet is just some free additional damage. The Shaman pets are just a pest not worth bothering with.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I played a Shaman and was able to solo well, but I must say fights are sometimes long. And they can heal well in groups. I much rather group, and am constantly doing Dungeons.

If I were to do it all over again I would go Wolf for DPS instead of  a Bear for tanking. The Bear was good as a personal tank but playing in a duo or larger group the Bear cant hold agro at all.

Some say that you can re-spec to a different pet as you play, but I think they are only guessing because I could never figure out how even using others advice on how to do it.

Err.

First, this isnt the point. Not even the Necromancer pet can keep aggro against a full blown tank.

And I had a party once with a Sorc and Bear Shaman and the Shaman had no trouble keeping aggro against me.

In fact even when I tried to get aggro it was harder than with some of the player tanks I partied with.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

A Vanguard Shaman is much more like an Original EQ Shaman than an EQ2 Shaman. Everquest 2 just couldn't get it right and always felt a bit wonky to me.

In Everquest I mained a Shaman from 2000 to 2005 and am always looking for a character that can bring that flavor back. They were a hell of a lot of fun to play and if you knew what you were doing could do a ton in groups instead of just Turgurs/Haste like most groups want. The only limit to what you could do was your imagination and skill level, no other class in any other game has gotten that right. Well maybe early EQ bard comes close.

In Vanguard you get to choose between 1 of 3 totem gods, Pheonix, Wolf and Bear. You can change into those forms as well as summon a pet looking just like you do in that form.

I played a Bear Shaman up to 40'ish and a Pheonix up to 30'ish and they are a lot of fun. The only reason I stopped playing was work got the best of me and pulled me away for a few months. If I go back to Vanguard, I'll definetelly be playing one again.

Also to the guy who wants to change Totems, go to your class trainer in your main city/town. Talk to the main trainer and he will have a side quest. Do the very brief quest and give him 5 gold (I think) and viola...you can now choose a new totem god. (At least that's how it was last time I played in the half giant town)

The most exciting thing I found out today, now that I do play Vanguard again, is that Shamans can now summon their totem pet while they are in the totem form themselves. That wasnt possible in the past. With a simple rightclick on the attack ability (and the buff) and an assist command I could get quite some extra damage from the pet (I estimate another 10% or so) plus the extra damage from the buff (which would add another plus) for some nice extra damage with no extra effort. Very sweet !

Still no tanking from my Hayatet pet, but a nice increase in dps, in fact quite a bit for a healer.