Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE Progression Servers

ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

With the sucess of Sony's 2 new progression servers and more on the way could this be a way for CCP to cash in on more subs ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                        MAGA

Comments

• zozo16zozo16 Member Posts: 6

I always feel a loss because I missed the head start.

So a second server from the nothing would be a good idea. lot of players would enjoy the new chances.

But it has  drawbacks. Less player on the main server and it has impact on the economy.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by zozo16

I always feel a loss because I missed the head start.

So a second server from the nothing would be a good idea. lot of players would enjoy the new chances.

But it has  drawbacks. Less player on the main server and it has impact on the economy.

After the first 3-6 months or so, you're limited far more by your abilities as a player than by your characters skillpoints. "Missing the head start" is a null concept.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

the early days of a player-driven economy are somewhatt interesting. but most players are happy, that these times are over. however, after about a year, CCP would just have a 2nd world. and then? move them all to primary server?

i dont like these nostalgia servers. EQ progression server is just a fake.  well, if somebody opens an EQ server with the full and untouched pre-PoP code, i would consider it.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

One reality, one universe, one history, one future. It's one of EVE's strongest points.

CCP shouldn't ever offer extra servers imo. Better to expand the universe itself.

Also wanting "new chances" in EVE translates into "easy landgrab without much effort" while you do have all the opportunity you need on the existing server: join or build an aspiring corp, with that join or build an alliance and go out and claim your turf. The universe, it's your steak ... *coughs* ... yours to take.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Me also would play EVE if they started a new server. Not too interested in joining the already very old current server where you will never catch up the veterans.

Yes I know in 3 months you are as proficient if you speciallize as a veteran blah blah.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

the early days of a player-driven economy are somewhatt interesting. but most players are happy, that these times are over. however, after about a year, CCP would just have a 2nd world. and then? move them all to primary server?

i dont like these nostalgia servers. EQ progression server is just a fake.  well, if somebody opens an EQ server with the full and untouched pre-PoP code, i would consider it.

That pretty just makes the op's proposal completely pointless.  The point of a new server to allow people to have an even start is totally lost in 6mos to a year.  Then you have 2 servers with no real distinction from each other making the whole thing a waste of time and resources.  So that anyone supporting it isn't interested in removing the perceived inequality but merely giving the advantage of it to themselves.

And speaking of resources given how EvE is setup, a second server would require additional labor and equipment that would be unecessary if those players all played on the existing server.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Metentso

Me also would play EVE if they started a new server. Not too interested in joining the already very old current server where you will never catch up the veterans.

Yes I know in 3 months you are as proficient if you speciallize as a veteran blah blah.

Until you understand why you don't need to restart on a new server you'll never understand EVE.

I'd recommend you play something else.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Paradigm68

And speaking of resources given how EvE is setup, a second server would require additional labor and equipment that would be unecessary if those players all played on the existing server.

The way EVE is setup they would have to almost duplicate their existing server infrastructure.  The EVE shard is actually a network of servers.

• zozo16zozo16 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Malcanis

After the first 3-6 months or so, you're limited far more by your abilities as a player than by your characters skillpoints. "Missing the head start" is a null concept.

I had time and rethinked the whole. Playing Eve since 2008 it's not a long time but also not short. And yes, I also have to say that Eve only good with one server. I missed a lot of thing, but Eve is flowing on its way. So get ready for the changes. They maybe have big impact in the gaming experience.

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Elsabolts

With the sucess of Sony's 2 new progression servers and more on the way could this be a way for CCP to cash in on more subs ?

Imagine a world where you are a young new fighter with barely enough skills to handle your weapon of choice. Would you rather find only people as clueless as you are, or would you prefer a more "realistically" populated world where there are a lot of trained fighters, many good killers, and even a handful of people known for their ability to lead their troops to war? Would you walk a bare empty land with no borders and claimed space or a more "real" world with empires fighting each other, with armies you can join, with farmers you can ransom?

I rather start in the already populated world, trying to make a name for myself. It will take time, I'll  fight, I'll lose most and win some, I'll learn to use my weapons, I'll gain experience while my avatar learns new skills, and on time I'll be able to use different weapons, different fits, different ships. With time I'll earn money and be able to get better equipment too.

Welcome to a simulation where not EVERYONE becomes an ubermaster killer. In fact NO ONE here masters all the available skills. Gaining lever 4 skills in whatever you chose to do is relatively fast, the difference between level 4 and level 5 skills is A LOT of time investment for really a very limited gain. And in a fleet, having maxed all level 5 skills as opposed to having just a handful of wisely chosen level 5s and lots of level 4s won't make any difference. Your piloting skills and your fit will do MUCH more for you than years spent on gaining full sets of level 5 skills.

Eve is not a game you can play a few months and beat it. Eve is a game where you live. ...where you stay for a loooong time. You don't need max skills to be among the elite. Try to forget about maxing up and enjoy the ride.

Try to master frigates and fast combat first, learn to use your weapons, to use your scanner, to properly set up your screen, with time you will be able to pilot and enjoy HACs, later you may be able to help your mates with logistic ships, ... there is a whole range of things to do before you fly a capital ship if you ever decide you want to fly one of those mastodons.

Who needs a new server full of clueless, skill-less pilots when you have a fully populated world with a healthy mix of characters of all levels? This is not wow, this is something else. Enjoy it as it is or look for a game you can "beat", but please, do not try to change what makes Eve special.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I started two games at different times, one being EVE. I joined sometime around 2009. I found that I was "competitive" within the first two or three months. It is a terrible misnomer that you can not be competitive in EVE if you are new. EVE is a game where you are as good as you wish to be.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Metentso

made a new alt in october 2010, getting lots of (solo)kills in a vagabond roaming 0.0 regions....

got cov ops lvl 5+recon skills, so I am a good scouter/prober and can cyno fleets around.

interceptor lvl 4 so I can tackle.

got BS skills so I can join the big lagfest battles.

^ that, with a early october 2010 character....killing players solo who have been playing from beta till this day.

My mains?  They have 100M+ skillpoints.

My edge? using my experiences and my brain and actually THINK, NOT  the use of a character with more skillpoints.

no, it's your brain failing you, not the "lack" of skills on your character(s). Unlike WOW, this game requires you to use tactics and think ahead.

this.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

OP, you have another thread open on nearly the same topic. Locking this one.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.