Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Progression Server....is SWG Next?

I hope EQ Progression servers do well, I plan on getting on them when I get back, but I wonder if they have given thought to doing the same for SWG?

That would be freaking nice!

I loved the skill system SWG had, you could make your character however you wanted.

Comments

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Last I heard, the Devs went as far as bringing up a Pre-CU server internally, saw all the bugs and server infrastructure issues that were unfixed from back then and figured it was more effort than it was worth, especially as players would likely want full support, bug fixes and additional content.

Plans were shelved indefinately I think, but plans can change.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

So they do still have the code?

I could be mistaken but didn't someone from SoE claim they didn't have it anymore?

Also was that a June 26th '03 version of pre-CU or Apr 22nd '05 version?

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Last I heard, the Devs went as far as bringing up a Pre-CU server internally, saw all the bugs and server infrastructure issues that were unfixed from back then and figured it was more effort than it was worth, especially as players would likely want full support, bug fixes and additional content.

Plans were shelved indefinately I think, but plans can change.

Name the source or it didn't happen.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• ToteLeeLostToteLeeLost Member Posts: 41

I would come back for it, if it was SWG before The Time of The Holocrons.  I don't wanna play in a Star Wars world where everyone is running around as a jedi (especially in the time frame the game is set in).

The Holocrons fucked a great MMORPG experience...  And it went further downhill from there...

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

I think they should continue to add on to the current game they have rolling the game back to pre cu would honestly ruin the game for me now, sure I have nostalgia but sorry its never going to be the same again. If they want to truely bring back elements of the game I say add them in some other way like a new class (could bring back all the melee's like Swordsman, Pikeman, Fencer).

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by reid424

If they want to truely bring back elements of the game I say add them in some other way like a new class (could bring back all the melee's like Swordsman, Pikeman, Fencer).

I think some Ranger type abilities also would be good, maybe a collection to unlock old skills like areaTrack etc....

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'd come back, even if it's at the end of the CU phase, those were good days when the CU was all fixed up and that's exactly when Smedley said "the CU is here to stay".

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

Originally posted by sookster54

I'd come back, even if it's at the end of the CU phase, those were good days when the CU was all fixed up and that's exactly when Smedley said "the CU is here to stay".

Of course, his fingers and toes were crossed at the time of the statement.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Valeran

Originally posted by sookster54

Of course, his fingers and toes were crossed at the time of the statement.

And both forks of his tongue....

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

In all seriousness, we've had NGE for longer than we've not had NGE.  I hate it the same as you folks. but, to still try "Pre-CU FTW" this far down the road, we as a community, look like a bunch of Rain Man wanna be's, bitching that we're "Gonna miss Wapner"

Seriously, the last stage of grief is acceptance, and it looks like most of us are still in the Anger or Bargaining stages.

Yeah, it blows. Yeah, they shot themselves in the foot.  Yeah, it was one of the worst mistakes in video game history, right up with Atari refusing to license the Famicom and EA's Copy Protection debacle with Spore and Bioshock.

As of now, we have 3 options.   That -other- project,  Sucking it up and playing SWG as it exists now, or simply moving on and playing something else

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I wouldn't come back. I don't want to go,

eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,

anymore.

That's the unforgivable flaw that SWG had. You only needed to hit one or two buttons and then spam 1 over and over to win. This was a tragedy considering the large skill list you could have and how cool some of the moves that you never got to use were.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by museandali

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

In all seriousness, we've had NGE for longer than we've not had NGE.  I hate it the same as you folks. but, to still try "Pre-CU FTW" this far down the road, we as a community, look like a bunch of Rain Man wanna be's, bitching that we're "Gonna miss Wapner"

Seriously, the last stage of grief is acceptance, and it looks like most of us are still in the Anger or Bargaining stages.

Yeah, it blows. Yeah, they shot themselves in the foot.  Yeah, it was one of the worst mistakes in video game history, right up with Atari refusing to license the Famicom and EA's Copy Protection debacle with Spore and Bioshock.

As of now, we have 3 options.   That -other- project,  Sucking it up and playing SWG as it exists now, or simply moving on and playing something else

I had mentioned to a friend who played SWG in the early days that people were still clamoring for pre-ngu servers and his response was "really? after all this time?".

I guess it really touched people.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by denshing

eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,eye shot, eyeshot,

anymore.

That's the unforgivable flaw that SWG had. You only needed to hit one or two buttons and then spam 1 over and over to win. This was a tragedy considering the large skill list you could have and how cool some of the moves that you never got to use were.

don't forget dizzy/kd... and everyone was Jedi grinding zombies, spin groups and all that craptastic systems. God I wouldn't touch pre-NGE with a 10 metric meter pole. I still get a little mad inside when I think of all the time I wasted on the horrible grind and gameplay, but I was blinded my the first-mmo experience, didn't know any better. Come to think of it the crafting sucked as well, incredible time consuming logisics chore.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by Sovrath

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

I had mentioned to a friend who played SWG in the early days that people were still clamoring for pre-ngu servers and his response was "really? after all this time?".

it doesnt help that every game that has been released since has been either a WoW-clone, broken beyond acceptance or just plain shallow. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Troneas

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

it doesnt help that every game that has been released since has been either a WoW-clone, broken beyond acceptance or just plain shallow. 

Yup.

Had anything in the last 5-6 years come along to take the place of old time SWG, many of the vets would be playing that. But nothing has. Most old time players I know have tried many games and either just play EvE, something casually, or play nothing. Most are waiting, mostly in vain the last few years, for the next good sandbox-ish game to come along.

The operative word being good. FE was close, but not quite there. Everything else has been crap.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by denshing

anymore.

I still remember when one guy killed me just by spamming pistol whip.

The game really wasn't that great technicly or design wise no matter what state it was in.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

That's probably true. Problem is that the mmo market is now very large and diverse. And as we all know from history, any type of media tends to change when it is made for the masses. There is nothing new here.

I'm afriad pre ngu players will have to realize they are essentially "Jazz".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

That's probably true. Problem is that the mmo market is now very large and diverse. And as we all know from history, any type of media tends to change when it is made for the masses. There is nothing new here.

I'm afriad pre ngu players will have to realize they are essentially "Jazz".

Good Developers go for the highest paying jobs, today it definatly isnt in PC games.   Looking at the new BF3, DICE is going to be kind and make a 64 player version for the PC market, PC games are the VHS, BETA Max of the gaming industry.     What used to be PC gaming companys are now Console gaming companys.       

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Good Developers go for the highest paying jobs, today it definatly isnt in PC games.   Looking at the new BF3, DICE is going to be kind and make a 64 player version for the PC market, PC games are the VHS, BETA Max of the gaming industry.     What used to be PC gaming companys are now Console gaming companys.       

Sad but true.

Thankfully, there's still a ton of money to be made in the MMO market because MMO's, unlike console games, CAN justify (and sell) monthly sub fees. Sooner or later the golden goose of "DLC" will begin to falter as players will no longer be willing to accept 1/2 finished games that add on later *cough*COD*cough*Mass Effect*cough*

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

A pre NGE SWG would make alot of sense as the upcoming SW:TOR will be a strictly classbased themepark MMO and as such in direct competition with the current SWG.

However a pre NGE SWG is unlikely as it would both take alot of effort to backtrack that much and be a public admission from SOE that NGE was crap, which will not likely happen.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

It would also require SOE giving a flip about their playerbase which as a rule of thumb they do not. I too would be most welcome to the idea of an original launch state SWG server. I loved the crafting alone enough to think about coming back but alas... with SOEs backwards mentality I would actually imagine that SWTOR success will only lead to SWG being turned even more themepark EQ/WoWish.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Sad but true.

Thankfully, there's still a ton of money to be made in the MMO market because MMO's, unlike console games, CAN justify (and sell) monthly sub fees. Sooner or later the golden goose of "DLC" will begin to falter as players will no longer be willing to accept 1/2 finished games that add on later *cough*COD*cough*Mass Effect*cough*

Was it DA:O that released a DLC about a week after the game launched?  It may not have been, but I know that Bioshock 2 released a DLC 30 days after game launch.

I can't wait until this is all over and people come to their senses.  What I think could change the MMO market though, is if Bethesda comes in.  Bioware is a big hitter (and partially who started the DLC's) but bethesda has a history of actually making good, non greedy games. 

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

The combat might have sucked, but the social aspects of gameplay and the crafting has been unmatched and entirely forgotten since. That's the real loss here, the loss of a beautiful and engaging sandbox *world* to be replaced by mindless themepark game clones.

So yeah, 6 years later we can still wish a good game would come out instead of all this crap that's out now. Nothing wrong with that.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by marinrider

Was it DA:O that released a DLC about a week after the game launched?  It may not have been, but I know that Bioshock 2 released a DLC 30 days after game launch.

I can't wait until this is all over and people come to their senses.  What I think could change the MMO market though, is if Bethesda comes in.  Bioware is a big hitter (and partially who started the DLC's) but bethesda has a history of actually making good, non greedy games. 

I think it was, wasn't it that Dragon Armor or something like that?

CoD:MW2 blew it for me. 4 f'n maps in a "map pack", and 2 were from their past game.

And yeah, Bioware may not have "invented" DLC, but they have sure as hell perfected it...and that is NOT a good thing IMO.

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by eoweth

Six Years.

Six -years- people. 

The combat might have sucked, but the social aspects of gameplay and the crafting has been unmatched and entirely forgotten since. That's the real loss here, the loss of a beautiful and engaging sandbox *world* to be replaced by mindless themepark game clones.

So yeah, 6 years later we can still wish a good game would come out instead of all this crap that's out now. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, except no.  

You didn't even ignore what I ahd to say about the SWG community, you completely excised it from my quote.    I hate to break it to you,  the SWG community was one of the most toxic I ever played in.   the "Vets" killed off any hope of new players coming in (something -any- MMO really needs to pay mind to) with tactics like training Jedi players  or griefing them via shout and tell.

That's not what I call "unmatched" unless you mean "unmatched by asshattery" at which point I would say goonswarm on EVE or the Chuck Norrie spam in Barrens Chat comes close.

I hate it too, but SWG pre-CU is not going to ever be seen on a legitimate server.  It's just not going to happen.   All the wailing and gnashing of teeth won't change that.. best thing anybody who misses it can do is find something else they enjoy.