Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read before you buy

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by Markusan

The true test comes at end game. If players are getting tired before max level then this game will not be doing good if it aims at competing with WoW. There are very few games where the end game lives up to the leveling part of the game.

I played beta and cancelled my subscription because it was very underwhelming. It felt like a direct copy of warhammer/eq2/wow with a few elements that were not very interesting.

I still wait for a new incarnation of Ultima Online or EQ1. Hopefully ArcheAge will be good.

im currently patching it.  Having never played wow past the 2 day trial (noobie zones were empty when i tried it) do you think it'd bea fresh exerpeince. 

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Originally posted by tavoc

While i dont fully agree with the op's full post.. i agree the game was boreing and dull. I gave it a fair shot with two of the betas and ended up being that bored with the game that i turned around and watched my WIFES stupid shows.. which honselty, americas next top model was more entertaining to me, And i have a strong hated for that show..

To put things mildly, i fealt the movement for the characters were clunky.. the quests were dull and verry poorly thought out. I mean seriously, AION had better quests then rift. The lore was verry poorly written, To me the lore seemed like it was written by a 7 year old with half a brain and  cant even properly verbalize the word " hi". The interface was ok, but skill anamations made me wanna puke.. and the worst thing of all.. JUMPING!!! The only words i could use to explain jumping in rift is 'moon jumping'. If you like jumping in the air and floating like a fairy instead of having a actual fealing of gravity.. well to each their own.

To sum things up : I hated rift.. I couldent get into it at all, It fealt cheep and was uterly unamuseing.. Oh well, looks like ill be waiting on tera to keep me busy untill guild wars 2.

This is one of the threads I call BS on. Character do not move clunky unless you have a low system requirement and your getting low FPS otherwise I cant imagine what your talking about.

Jumping in the air and floating again, I think your drunk when you played or was playing AION. Animations are better then WoW and Warhammer. only current game with great combat is AoC but thats all it has everything else sucks.

Quests, not as good as cataclysm, but not bad, theres a good vareity, and the lore is well written but you have to read it. which I doubt you did or you just dont like the story.

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

Agree with the OP. The game is tedious and dull. And it's nothing we haven't seen a hundred times before since 2005. Seriously, is there nobody out there that can bring the MMO genre out of this boring lull it's currently stuck in? I want to see exciting new ideas. Not WAR + WoW - Aion = Rift type jobs.

:/

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by 5ubzer0

To make it short, I find the game incredibly unfun. It is, in fact, the most boring game I have played in a long long time. Here's why:

I ve been saying that since Beta 1, and didn't changed my mind throughout all the other Beta phases.

Oddly enough I've said the same things about Warhammer, when it was in early Beta.

The game is well executed but it is dull as hell.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I did not read this thread before I bought the game, am I not having fun?

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

I actualy tried Rift in beta before reading this 'review' and i'm glad I and many others did it :P, becouse guess what ? based on MY experience with game your review is just full of bullshit.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Having played the Rift beta, I can only agree with the OP. I haven't done PVP, so can't say about that, but everything else is as the OP says.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by TopperH444

LoL Ahhh you make an account on forums to post that ? Blizzard needs to try harder. You made it too LvL 30 too ? And just decided you did'nt enjoy the game. Who do you think you are kidding...come on man.....come on

Beta post sounded similar

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by Malevil

I actualy tried Rift in beta before reading this 'review' and i'm glad I and many others did it :P, becouse guess what ? based on MY experience with game your review is just full of bullshit.

He tends to be focusing only on the negative. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

You know what's the common theme here? Whether you liked the game or you got bored by it, the majority of people posting here betaed the game. I assume that the game will have a bigger retention than normal, due to the fact that those who played it and disliked it didn't buy it. For the majority it was not a leap of faith purchase.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by holifeet

Originally posted by Seffren

But I had more fun waiting in the queue than playing the game.

Looking at your post I get the impression you did not even make it out of the queue.

I think you missed the point.

I've had more fun waiting in queues to pay a bill than playing Rift.

Now thats an interesting admission.  I had the One True Game(tm) syndrome pretty badly myself, but not nearly that bad.  These days, I've quit chasing after the One True Game(tm). All I'm looking for is an entertaining/enjoyable, well polished game. Rift is that to me. Thats all I'm looking for.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Didn't intend to play the game but I got it as a present and I'm having fun. Whats been said about RIFT is generally true but I guess most of you guys are burned out on MMOs so you need something fresh to keep you entertained. I never played WoW too because I'm not really into theme park MMOs so I guess I don't suffer that "same old" feeling most of you do.

Its not my kind of MMO because I lean more towards sandbox kind, and it probably won't keep me hooked for too long but I'm having fun at thats what really matters atm.

• JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by jaygrae

NO, THIS GUY IS DEAD ON.

I have argued with people non-stop in RIFT chat this past week asking them, PLEADING with them, to give me what RIFT brings NEW to the table.

NOTHING.  NOT ONE DAMN THING.  Unlike the original poster, I played in closed beta and was "on the fence" on buying it.  Well I found it for 39.99 pre-order so took part in this ugly affair.  The original poster is SPOT ON.  If you think he's delusional then add me to the list as well.  

Reason(s) why RIFT FAILS.

1. The rifts ARE BORING. PERIOD. BORING, BORING, BORING. Same thing over and over, same spots.  Just annoying.

2. The quests suck. read OP post.

3. The PvP SUCKS.  Its like going into a warhammer scenario but having NO collision and spamming buttons over and over.  Energy management? LOL  Wait your a caster? Mana management? LOL.  Say goodbye to those!!! Just spam spam spam and enjoy!

4. The classes are BORING.  The trees make WoW tree abilities look like aglebra on crack.

5. The LORE IS BAD.

Thats it.  What you have is a grip of WoW rejects all over their chat blabbing non stop as to HOW GREAT RIFT IS AND OH HOW I HATED WOW.  Its pathetic.  I cant even log into this game anymore.  And dont get me started on the que times for some of the servers.

No I dont play WoW.  I called WoW's pvp end back at vanilla before the BC release.  You can either accept it  or keep living on a prayer, but rift brings NOTHING NEW TO THE TABLE.

Good luck, Hope I saved some poor soul 50 bucks.

I'll second this post.

I can't for the life of me figure out why fans of WoW would leave that game and I'm assuming drop their level 85 characters and all they've invested to basically 'start over' in a game that is so similar, yet really has no life or seems to be missing that 'it' factor that other MMOs like WoW seem to possess.

The other negative in regards to Rift that I haven't seen mentioned (unless I missed it) is the severe lack of replayability. It seemed, at least in my experience, that all the races/classes on each pertaining side follow the exact same quests and boring storyline. Everybody and their mother is the 'Chosen One'. Why can't I just be Joe Schmo who surprises everyone?

I'll admit I had preordered the CE, even though I was still on the fence in regards to the game. However, thanks to the code I received from Gamestop not working while trying to get into the headstart, along with the understandably slow response from Trion (received a response just yesterday); I was given more time to mull it over and decided to skip this one.

Now I'm sure some of you will look at my Username and Avatar and consipracy theory your way into thinking that I must work for Bioware, so I preemptively strike with, "I wish" and leave you with the thought that instead of playing Rift, I decided to recently purchase Cataclysm instead, after originally holding out. So, maybe in fact it is Blizzard that I'm working for...or is it Bioware? Hmmm.

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!
  • baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

I am going to put this out there.

{mod edit}

Aesthetic reasons are subjective anf therefore not something I am going to debate.

BUT

I have rarely pulled more than 1 mob. But when I have it has made sense that it happened and I have sometimes bested the situation. I am an Assassin and have no pet and no problem.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

This is one of the threads I call BS on. Character do not move clunky unless you have a low system requirement and your getting low FPS otherwise I cant imagine what your talking about.

It isn't about your system, the animations in the game are just clunky including the movement but especially the combat. It most likely is the game engine because WAR was the same way only much much worse.

Rift is a lot of things but innovative certainly isn't one of them. It is a good little vanilla MMO if you are just looking for something new, nothing wrong with that. But if innovation is what you want this most certainly is not it.

I think a big reason a lot of people find it boring is because it plays so much like everything else out there, if you have played a bunch of MMO and are tired of them, you probably won't enjoy Rift. If you still enjoy the rest of the MMO or haven't played many of the new ones this is a great game to start with.

• MeTedMeTed Member Posts: 129

I'll second this post.

I can't for the life of me figure out why fans of WoW would leave that game and I'm assuming drop their level 85 characters and all they've invested to basically 'start over' in a game that is so similar, yet really has no life or seems to be missing that 'it' factor that other MMOs like WoW seem to possess.

The other negative in regards to Rift that I haven't seen mentioned (unless I missed it) is the severe lack of replayability. It seemed, at least in my experience, that all the races/classes on each pertaining side follow the exact same quests and boring storyline. Everybody and their mother is the 'Chosen One'. Why can't I just be Joe Schmo who surprises everyone?

I'll admit I had preordered the CE, even though I was still on the fence in regards to the game. However, thanks to the code I received from Gamestop not working while trying to get into the headstart, along with the understandably slow response from Trion (received a response just yesterday); I was given more time to mull it over and decided to skip this one.

Now I'm sure some of you will look at my Username and Avatar and consipracy theory your way into thinking that I must work for Bioware, so I preemptively strike with, "I wish" and leave you with the thought that instead of playing Rift, I decided to recently purchase Cataclysm instead, after originally holding out. So, maybe in fact it is Blizzard that I'm working for...or is it Bioware? Hmmm.

Here's the thing about people leaving 85's etc to play Rift. WOW isn't going anywhere anytime soon. End game at the moment feels more like a chore and lost a lot the fun factor for me. If you haven't played WOW in a long time Cataclysm could definitely be a treat, especially if you plan on leveling a toon up from scratch.

Rift has been like a WOW1.5 in my observations. The graphics along with the different story are like a breath of fresh air imo. I wasn't crazy about the intial starting area but after some exploring the immersion started to kick into high gear. The defiant capital city Meridian was absolutely stunning in comparision to Stormwind or Org. WOW lost a lot of immersion for me with their design direction of slightly revamping the game and not including enough new material. I didn't level another character from scratch to try out the new 1-60 zone. There are only a couple of classes I don't have to 80 or close to it.

I'm enjoying Rift so far in my brief experiences.  I'm playing it for the change that it is from WOW, and so far I'm not dissappointed. The game is highly polished although the quest lines seem to be lacking.  Rift may very well fill that void until GW2 or SWTOR comes out. However, if the dev team can people interested with quality updates at regular intervals I could consider calling Rift home.

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

• Queues: Well, the servers with pvp guilds worth playing against have 1-4 hour queues, each and every time you try to log in. For some reason, people find the game so enjoyable they are willing to put up with that. More power to them.

Obviously, all the reasons why I am underwhelmed with Rift are subjective. But I had more fun waiting in the queue than playing the game.

{Mod edit}

Always skim the lengthy posts first... saw 1-4 hour queues in there and decided this review is not accurate - at the very least exagerated or written with intentional bias.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I don't know what the OP was expecting but chances are the MMO he wants to play just doesn't exist.

The only thing I agree with is that quest variety is somewhat lacking. Still... who cares? MMOs are about endgame. And even the most original quests feel just as boring when you're leveling your 3rd toon. At least in Rift leveling is fast.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• DeathSTDeathST Member Posts: 2

I have been playing rift since headstart and I would have to totally disagree with his assessment of this game.  In my honest opinion it sounds like he gave a review without doing any reasearch at all. Honestly from the sound of it he only played for a couple days and then went back to wow.  Oh and if your graphics don't look so hot in game its due to your lack of having a good gaming rig. Peace!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Xasapis

You know what's the common theme here? Whether you liked the game or you got bored by it, the majority of people posting here betaed the game. I assume that the game will have a bigger retention than normal, due to the fact that those who played it and disliked it didn't buy it. For the majority it was not a leap of faith purchase.

I don't agree.

It happened the same with Warhammer, majority of people were praising the game up until few weeks after release, while people like me were saying that people will get tired of it pretty soon.

Rift is very accessible and probably the best WoW clone ever done.......................but if you played around 30 MMORPGs you can spot straight away its longevity.

This game is very similar to EQ2 expansion Raise of Kunark (Hartnett was the producer) based on quest grinding and and ome fake group content like the rifts and the invasions (it's just a big zerg with no tactic whatsoever)

The worst thing about Rift is how fast you level, you can reach 50 in a week................and then? New expansion?

C'mon.............

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by ste2000

I don't agree.

It happened the same with Warhammer, majority of people were praising the game up until few weeks after release, while people like me were saying that people will get tired of it pretty soon.

Rift is very accessible and probably the best WoW clone ever done.......................but if you played around 30 MMORPGs you can spot straight away its longevity.

This game is very similar to EQ2 expansion Raise of Kunark (Hartnett was the producer) based on quest grinding and and ome fake group content like the rifts and the invasions (it's just a big zerg with no tactic whatsoever)

The worst thing about Rift is how fast you level, you can reach 50 in a week................and then? New expansion?

C'mon.............

DId you even play WAR or read the posts in official forums, no one praised WAR after release even in beta there was lot of questions and concerns raised. Beta forums where exteremly divided between Pvpers/fanboys who wanted to focus mainly on pvp and those who wanted things to fixed. Rather than fix bugs or improve content they wasted months of beta fixing classes (to little avail). People who brought up concerns where hammered as WoW fanboys and typical go back to WoW response by WAR pvp community.

I questioned their decision to release but there was always a supposed magic patch which people claim would fix everything. Heck they even kept promising that within months they will release major content patches which proved to false (all they did was release 2 classes cut from release).

Check my post history i even made detail post on poor pve content (got a lot of flame for it in mmorpg a day after release) and lack of balance between classes.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Darkheart00

I don't agree.

C'mon.............

DId you even play WAR or read the posts in official forums, no one praised WAR after release even in beta there was lot of questions and concerns raised. They kept promising that within months they will release major content patches which proved to false (all they did was release 2 classes cut from release).

Check my post history i even made detail post on poor pve content (got a lot of flame for it) and lack of balance between classes.

The fact that you got flamed for it shows that people were defending WAR. You just proved yourself wrong.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Great review, thank you.

I never bought the game but from playing the beta for 2 hours I can clearly see that you are right.

Maybe developers will realise that more of the same isn't what keeps entertaiment business floating after people get bored with Rift and go back to their own mmos or move on to another newly released themepark.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by Darkheart00

I don't agree.

C'mon.............

DId you even play WAR or read the posts in official forums, no one praised WAR after release even in beta there was lot of questions and concerns raised. They kept promising that within months they will release major content patches which proved to false (all they did was release 2 classes cut from release).

Check my post history i even made detail post on poor pve content (got a lot of flame for it) and lack of balance between classes.

The fact that you got flamed for it shows that people were defending WAR. You just proved yourself wrong.

IIRC i made the post in Open beta or start of release many of those who defended WAR simply didn't play it. I remember days after release many of them where replying back in my WHA thread about how i was right.

• DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

This game has no immersion. I always complain about WoW's immersion, but Rift has somehow outdone Blizzard in making a game where I had to force myself into logging on and playing for 45 minutes at a time(maximum time I could go without boredom sinking in) to advance my character. Sure the graphics are good and I even would say that I loved the sole system, creating a more personallized character, but the content is just the worst ever. Questing makes me feel like a drone. The rift system was fun the 1st 5 times.

If it's not fun, the pros I listed aren't going to get my sub money.

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!