Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read before you buy

Comments

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by ololulu

Originally posted by nankoek

I totally disagree with the first post, seriously first of all if you make a review you also give some positive points?

Sure Rifts were fun at start but eventually you will see that they are all the same, you feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again which is kind of grind.

Play a few days/weeks/months and you will see it will become boring.

Pvp- they will nerf every class 100x and probably wont figure out how to balance it.

WoW battlegrounds are the same and people are doing them for 6 years now. Rifts are fun, they are different enough and give enough rewards. Later on there are raid rifts, with raid bosses. If you don't like it, it does not mean other people don't like it as well. People are enjoying rifts and invasions.

PvP - who are you to make such assumptions. Give me one good reason why would they nerf every class 100 times, and if they made a game as it is tuday, why would they not be able to balance classes?

Haters gonna hate.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I totally disagree with the first post, seriously first of all if you make a review you also give some positive points?

Good point, but no doubt we will be told by certain parties that Rift has NO positive points... Or that they are so minor as not to be worth mentioning.  Its just another example of what one can expect from those eternally chasing the One True Game(tm). Its always just over the horizon. Any game thats actually available for play, is an eternal disappointment, at which point they fixate on the next game thats just over the horizon. Perhaps that will be the One True Game(tm) that they endlessly seek. I'm tired of that rat race. All I'm looking for is an enjoyable, well polished game. Rift fits that well.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SandvichedSandviched Member Posts: 28

Sure Rifts were fun at start but eventually you will see that they are all the same, you feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again which is kind of grind.

Pvp- they will nerf every class 100x and probably wont figure out how to balance it.

The same can be said for WoW. Want to know why people love the "gimmicky" quests in WoW so much even thought after doing them a few times they get really repetitive? Free XP and rewards. If those quests actually require effort to do like Rifts then they won't be loved so much.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

Originally posted by Sandviched

Originally posted by Justarius1

As for warfronts, you seriously believe it's "viable" to use the 4 existing warfronts to level from 1-50?  Um, yeah buddy.  You try that and let me know how it works out for you, or if your brain starts to bleed out your ears due to boredom.

The same can be said for "that other game", yet you're here saying "that  other game" have more compelling PvP. What? You want a new launched game to have more PvP content that a 7 years old game? Get real.

I think PVP becomes more and more important as u grow in lvls at the begin you are in your save (more or less) little world do quests and some Warfronts from time to time certainly not that much PVP here however once the areas are crowded by both sides it all changes suddenly its not only the rifts/invasions/events you are fighting its the other side as well.

The endgame rift raids which Trion showed us seemed to be outdoors as well so (if i understood it right) you first get the items u need to draw this specific rift out than u have to fight through the story and all the time wonder when the other side comes to join the party.

Sure it may not be go to position X defend Tower (or defeat Guard) to hold the region for your side but honestly doesn't it sound way more fun the way it could be in Rift?? Its unpredictable it can happen everywhere at every time that might not appeal to everyone but i think if you are looking for some real PVP which is not the same old warfronts or conquer a Tower shit u had so often already u actually could love Rifts PVP...of course if u never actually manage to get to the point since u expected it to happen right at the begin of the game well u will loose out get sour and post a lot of garbage on forums but thats cool too to everyone its own i always say,,,,,

Some are outside. Some are in dynamic dungeons. Here is a link for a rather interesting video dealing with some of Rifts end game raiding.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/63677/rift/articles/73643/Rift-End-Game-Raiding-Preview/

• Drea-merDrea-mer Member Posts: 217

100% agree with the OP. This game is so overhyped.

Originally posted by gambe1

WoW battlegrounds are the same and people are doing them for 6 years now. Rifts are fun, they are different enough and give enough rewards. Later on there are raid rifts, with raid bosses. If you don't like it, it does not mean other people don't like it as well. People are enjoying rifts and invasions.

PvP - who are you to make such assumptions. Give me one good reason why would they nerf every class 100 times, and if they made a game as it is tuday, why would they not be able to balance classes?

Haters gonna hate.

Very true. But keep in mind whats behind much "balance" we have seen in other games. Its the level of absolute HYSTERIA on the forums from people howling about this, that or another class being OP!! ^^  Look at Death Knight in WoW for just one example of many. Originally, it was supposed to be the first of the Hero classes. It was designed from the ground up to be a caster killer class. So, of course it was rather good at killing casters. ^^ 

Then the wailing and howling of the caster classes, who got killed(as they had been killing many melee classes for years...) could be heard in LEO.  It went on and on and on... The QQ'ing would have filled oceans. Finally, just to shut some of them up, they started on the long path of endless nerfs that the class has seen.  As I said, thats one of the major motivations of most "balancing" that we see.  In terms of the soul system, I shudder to think about any attempt to "balance" it...

• LinaInversaLinaInversa Member CommonPosts: 66

People are finally starting to come out of their denial stage and admit that this game is generic as hell. There is hope after all...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by bastionix

Originally posted by LinaInversa

People are finally starting to come out of their denial stage and admit that this game is generic as hell. There is hope after all...

{Mod edit}

{Mod edit}

Who can expect non-polarised responses after such insults?

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by Xasapis

{Mod edit}

{Mod edit}

{Mod edit} Call it whatever you like, gullible, sheep mentality, hype, peer pressure, or claim I am insulting you....the fact of the matter is that the OP is right and Rift is a clone with a new paint of coat that will wear off in 2 weeks.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

{Mod edit}

It's a clone that is better than most of its genre in my humble opinion, we all knew it was generic before we jumped in how does that make us sheep? Honestly your making it sound like we are following some fascistic despot insistent on ruining any chance of innovation in the industry, Trion never set out to be that innovative nor do they come across as developers intent on destroying innovation.

This is their first game, it looks to me they went with 'create something that the masses will enjoy and do it well' as their starting point and in that they have succeeded, maybe their future offerings will be more innovative and they'll have more cash to do it off the back of Rift.

Those of you looking for innovation away from the generic fantasy MMO model why are you here when you know that's al that Rift has to offer (plus a little extra)? Shouldn't you be off supporting the games that do?

If I'm bored of it in a months time that's fine, I'm having a blast right now and that's what counts, for £25 I'm not gonna complain.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Xasapis

{Mod edit}

{Mod edit}

{Mod edit}Call it whatever you like, gullible, sheep mentality, hype, peer pressure, or claim I am insulting you....the fact of the matter is that the OP is right and Rift is a clone with a new paint of coat that will wear off in 2 weeks.

So how do you justify this adjective pointed towards people that played the beta, enjoyed themselves and bought the game?

The appeal may or may not last, but the first hand experience was there. {Mod edit}

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Let's see here...

*We have one person who played 6 out of 7 Betas and decided the game was boring after playing six Betas.

*We have another that says all the quest are linear.

*We have another who played the last Beta, didn't like it.  Bought the game anyways.  Played 3 days and quit.

*We have another predicting about how the game is going to fail.

*We have another calling people sheep for liking the game.  Using justification that everyone was following the herd.

Let's address each one.

*Betas had a lot of stress testing done and all the content in Alpha wasn't pushed over to the headstart servers.

*The starting zone for the most part is linear.  I never cared too much for how the game starts, but I see why they now do it.  I think those that come to these forums REALLY like MMOs.  The starting area really isn't for us.  Should it be?  Possibly, but Trion was determined to make the game accessible.  The starting zones is that launch pad.  Many still find Rift too difficult to get a hold of though tbh. 

You see it in the main forums all the time.  People are confused or overwhelmed by the soul choices.  The mass invasions are too much (they actually have a point here.  I would like them turned down too.)  Having a similar UI and things that are expected being there, allows Trion to start shifting the experience into something more.  Once you leave that first starting zone, the game starts to change dramatically. 

The problem is that those changes aren't giant neon signs that say...ME ME ME!  You gotta look for them.  This creates NUMEROUS water cooler moments in Vent, where someone talks about a rare mob or dancing with squirrels or finding a traveling merchant or a puzzle or rare Rift spawn or what happened in the mass invasion last night.

*You have to ask yourself why?  What were you looking for?  The genre.  The look of the game.  The setting.  All of these things are the same from what you've seen before.  If this isn't what you're looking for, then you have indeed wasted your money.

*No one knows the future.  And for people to be sheep they have to know about the game in advance to build significant hype.  Two months ago people called this a niche game that won't get any traction.  90+ servers later, now people are sheep for liking the game.  Now players are accused of "Falling into a mindeset" and following the herd.  There was no mindset because this game flew under the radar.  If people are playing the game and leaving other games for it, that's because the game is good and people like it.

Summary:

The fact that so much negativity still flames about this game even at launch, proves only one thing beyond a shadow of the doubt. 

That Rift is a success.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Every herd needs it's rams, the people that enjoyed rift fill those rolls. They are the ones that other people are following in hopes to find the enjoyment they want from an mmo. It happens all over the world, you see someone enjoying that type of drink, food, or car and you go I want that. So you go and you try it, you may hate it after or you may still like it. That doesn't make you a sheep. Dogmaticly sticking with something because you don't want to admit you tried it just because others were doing it does.

Now on to Rift, for my money most of what people are saying is correct. Rift repackaged everything from the last ten years of mmo history and sold it under a newer body model. I say newer because it looks a lot like they took EQ2 and Warhammer then mushed um together to make how the characters look. In essences it is the recap show in any major action based tv series, you know the ones. It's where they put the characters on trial or in a coma and flash back to other episiodes in the show so they can rerun old footage and not shoot new stuff.

That is kinda how rift is, it is everything old in a new body. Hopefully the last horah for the old generation of MMO's and a herald for something new to come. That doesn't make Rift bad, none of it's features singularly do, but somewhere someone for got to add the vegatables to the stew. It makes rift a lot of initial fun but it quickly begins to fade as you play longer.

In the long run Trion has been successful no matter how the chips fall from here on out, they got a large cash infusion and can now go do whatever they want.

• I'm sick to death about hearing people say, but it just feels like the same old, and that I have done this many times before. You had the chance to the best the beta, ALL OF YOU, you must be pretty dumb to not try it, then a few days after just throw 50$ at them to try the again. Especially after so many well poor mmorpg releases. Or if you spent 5mins researching the game, YOU WOULD WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT. Its basically the same with a different wrapping, your own god damn fault for not realizing this. And how stupid is it to come to the forum and feel compltely surprised about the fact that a goat is a goat, and not a horse. Fine if you don't like the game, but please stop with the bullshit surprise, if you were not lazy and completely uncritical with your money spending you would have spent a few mins to research what exactly you are buying.

And fyi I do not play rift but I know what the hell its all about. The ignorance and stupidity is absolutely astonishing.

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by Ragnaven

Every herd needs it's rams, the people that enjoyed rift fill those rolls. They are the ones that other people are following in hopes to find the enjoyment they want from an mmo. It happens all over the world, you see someone enjoying that type of drink, food, or car and you go I want that. So you go and you try it, you may hate it after or you may still like it. That doesn't make you a sheep. Dogmaticly sticking with something because you don't want to admit you tried it just because others were doing it does.

Now on to Rift, for my money most of what people are saying is correct. Rift repackaged everything from the last ten years of mmo history and sold it under a newer body model. I say newer because it looks a lot like they took EQ2 and Warhammer then mushed um together to make how the characters look. In essences it is the recap show in any major action based tv series, you know the ones. It's where they put the characters on trial or in a coma and flash back to other episiodes in the show so they can rerun old footage and not shoot new stuff.

That is kinda how rift is, it is everything old in a new body. Hopefully the last horah for the old generation of MMO's and a herald for something new to come. That doesn't make Rift bad, none of it's features singularly do, but somewhere someone for got to add the vegatables to the stew. It makes rift a lot of initial fun but it quickly begins to fade as you play longer.

In the long run Trion has been successful no matter how the chips fall from here on out, they got a large cash infusion and can now go do whatever they want.

Hmm why don't you name some new generation of MMO then? if you go to the SWTOR thread people are calling WoW in space

There is always going to be whiners, remember all the EQ fans who called WoW ripoff of EQ and how it wasn't innovative ehough since it had auto attacks and gcds.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

LOL ahhh MMORPG.com, I Love visiting your Forums after a game release.  Very entertaining indeed! 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Summary:

The fact that so much negativity still flames about this game even at launch, proves only one thing beyond a shadow of the doubt. 

That Rift is a success.

Interesting conclusion.

Using this logic, FFXIV must have been the most spectacular success of the decennium, since no negativity can even approach the amount as seen with the FFXIV launch.

... not saying that Rift's launch is similar to FFXIV's launch and therefore Rift and FFXIV are similar in their flaws and deficiencies, because it isn't.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

I am a blizzard employee...I just wanted to say that cuz everyone else said they weren't

I played the Rift Closed and Open Beta and I think the game is decent.  It will definately appeal to some and less to others.

I actually juggled buying Rift or DCUO for about a month, but finally decided to go with DCUO.  I played both in their closed betas and found DCUO to be more my speed.  Fast action is a bit more fun to me than pressing hotkeys all day.

Here are some of the things that turned me away from Rift:

Dull world - the world wasnt interesting at all....I liked some of the mobs and I definitely like the Fae maze...but most of the areas were lifeless and lackluster

Dull combat - When you here someone on here say they press three buttons over and over again, they might not know the half of it.  As a rogue (forgot the name of the tree)...I'd lure a mob in with 1 button, then only need to press 2 buttons in order to kill the mob easily....so it actually was 2 buttons, not 3....well 3 technically...I tried 2 different types Warrior, Rogue (don't like casters) and they both had very similar technique in killing a mob...press 1 button to pull/rush in and then press another button to build up the meter, then press another button for finisher...press 1 button to build up, press 1 button to finish...over and over and over again.

Terrible Character Animations - the movements were so stiff and when you jump...I really dont even know how to explain what you look like when you jump....picture someone riding a horse...now take the horse away...that's what it looks like....its AWFUL...some of the worst Animations Ive ever seen for a supposed AAA game.

Here are some things I liked:

Rifts - I did tons of them and never got bored....gaining loot from doing them was a very good motivation as well.

Crafting - It was nice to finally craft something I could use at the level I was currently at...and crafting was not tedious or boring...it was a side project as it should be.  Probably one of the better crafting systems in a game.

Soul System - Although the combat is not that great...snorable actually, the soul system was awesome.  It was alot of fun to tinker with different sets.  My favorite was the Reaver. 

All in all, its a good game, but Ive played too many games just like it to want to put myself through it again.  Whoever does play, ENJOY!

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Originally posted by chaod1984

Dull combat - When you here someone on here say they press three buttons over and over again, they might not know the half of it.  As a rogue (forgot the name of the tree)...I'd lure a mob in with 1 button, then only need to press 2 buttons in order to kill the mob easily....so it actually was 2 buttons, not 3....well 3 technically...I tried 2 different types Warrior, Rogue (don't like casters) and they both had very similar technique in killing a mob...press 1 button to pull/rush in and then press another button to build up the meter, then press another button for finisher...press 1 button to build up, press 1 button to finish...over and over and over again.

Thanks for telling us that your blizz employee :). But how is it any different than mage spamming fire ball in WoW or Rogue 1 shot hide-ambush combination (thank godness they nerfed it 1.1). AoC had pretty innovative combat which actually turned off people since they didn't want to remember the combos.

• TheFarseerTheFarseer Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by 5ubzer0

• That leaves world pvp. Well, during  head start everybody and their mom power-leveled, so I didn't experience much of that. I assume, it's going to be fine, as long as Rift can retain its subscriber base. Longevity, however, is questionable without rvr objectives.

There's quite a few RvR objectives, actually. On PvP servers, at least.

Stuff like competing for the kill of a rift invasion boss, activating Ancient Wardstones etc etc.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by Seffren

Originally posted by 5ubzer0

But I had more fun waiting in the queue than playing the game.

Looking at your post I get the impression you did not even make it out of the queue.

I think you missed the point.

I've had more fun waiting in queues to pay a bill than playing Rift.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • fustermanfusterman Member Posts: 5

I was going to write a review but I'll stick to some simple points.

Rift actually is one of the most innovative mmo's to come out recently. It has a very dynamic class skill tree that allows people to play one character and get a lot of use out of it. I am almost and endgame and with my rogue I have been able to be dps, support heals, and tank. The game broke the horrible mold that BLizzard has beaten to death: Class A > Class B > Class C > Class D. With proper teamwork and communication any dungeon and any pvp instance can be conquered. But BLizz fans hate teamwork and communication. They feel as if the class they play should beat everyone else, and when they don't they cry. Rift feels very familiar because it took the great aspects of other games and incorporated it in their own unique way. You have dynamic world events that unite random players and eventually tlead to full on random raids. On pvp servers it gets even better, with both factions warring over these dynamic events and their loot. The lore is unique and the story quests are quite interesting to play out. 

In summary: If you're a fan of genuine fantasy mmo games, get Rift. If you are a fan of Blizzard style "push button get loot, push button get group, and gear > teamwork or tactics, then skip this game.

• curzon176curzon176 Member Posts: 14

Man i really wanted to like this game. I was following it for a couple of years. But having played through most of the closed beta, i found it to be much like the OP has suggested. The game is highly derivative, and i don't think there will be many people who spent significant amounts of time playing WOW or ROM or similar games playing this game for very long. One of the few aspects that might be considered new (the rifts themselves) is interesting to play, but gets quite boring pretty fast. I saved myself the 50 bucks and i don't regret it. I'm glad many other people enjoy the game though. It's just not for me.

I did like the gfx.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

While i dont fully agree with the op's full post.. i agree the game was boreing and dull. I gave it a fair shot with two of the betas and ended up being that bored with the game that i turned around and watched my WIFES stupid shows.. which honselty, americas next top model was more entertaining to me, And i have a strong hated for that show..

To put things mildly, i fealt the movement for the characters were clunky.. the quests were dull and verry poorly thought out. I mean seriously, AION had better quests then rift. The lore was verry poorly written, To me the lore seemed like it was written by a 7 year old with half a brain and  cant even properly verbalize the word " hi". The interface was ok, but skill anamations made me wanna puke.. and the worst thing of all.. JUMPING!!! The only words i could use to explain jumping in rift is 'moon jumping'. If you like jumping in the air and floating like a fairy instead of having a actual fealing of gravity.. well to each their own.

To sum things up : I hated rift.. I couldent get into it at all, It fealt cheep and was uterly unamuseing.. Oh well, looks like ill be waiting on tera to keep me busy untill guild wars 2.

• MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

The true test comes at end game. If players are getting tired before max level then this game will not be doing good if it aims at competing with WoW. There are very few games where the end game lives up to the leveling part of the game.

I played beta and cancelled my subscription because it was very underwhelming. It felt like a direct copy of warhammer/eq2/wow with a few elements that were not very interesting.

I still wait for a new incarnation of Ultima Online or EQ1. Hopefully ArcheAge will be good.