Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shortest MMO in History?

monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

after 4 days people are hitting level 50 and the majority of players are already in there high 30's....  It would only take a super slow casual player only a month to hit level cap.  Right now there is 4-5 level 50 dungeons and couple Raid Instances, the rest are spawn-able rifts.   In any case there doesn't seem like there's enough content to keep people playing.  I think there relying on people to do rifts all the time, problem is most people are already tired of rifts only a few days into the game.

Be interesting to see what the population is after 3-4 months..

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I think thats the problem a lot of people are realizing with this game.  The amount of content is not equaling the rate as which its being eaten.  I'm not sure why Trion thought this was a good idea.

I've seen it argued that "oh only the hardcore can do that" to which I say the hardcore should not even be able to do it, it should take the hardcore at least two weeks to be even considered a decent leveling curve.

I can see it now

*expansion drops*

*1 hr later* World first to 60!

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Thread title is a bit drama queen. So, you've been playing then?

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Yeah I'm intrigued by how the end game will hold out, we know they had more content in at launch than they had planned so let's hope they are ahead of the game and get more content in. I'm looking forward to hearing reports about the raids and especially the raid rifts, raid mechanics but open world and spawnable at any time, I expect we'll hear reports of those very soon.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by monoth

after 4 days people are hitting level 50 and the majority of players are already in there high 30's....  It would only take a super slow casual player only a month to hit level cap.  Right now there is 4-5 level 50 dungeons and couple Raid Instances, the rest are spawn-able rifts.   In any case there doesn't seem like there's enough content to keep people playing.  I think there relying on people to do rifts all the time, problem is most people are already tired of rifts only a few days into the game.

Not really. People hit 85 in Cataclysm just hours after its release. The amount of experience needed to hit 85 from 80 is more than required to hit 1-80. Before EST zones even got to start the game, someone had already hit 85 on Europe Servers.

It's also not the first time this has happened. Many people who've participated in betas know exactly which routes to take to reach the maximum level in the fastest way possible. This isn't a testament to "How short the game is" but a testament to how well people utilize their time.

Just as you have number crunchers who parse data into complex algorithims, you have your level racers who race to the level cap for nothing more than fame and glory. Many of these same people will re-roll and enjoy the game at a slower pace.

There's nothing wrong with this and it doesn't effect the game since a very small percentage of players in the headstart are at this level. The vast majority (And I can say this with utmost confidence without any statistical data to back up my claims) are hovering around the early to mid 20's range. Keeping in mind that March 1st marks the actual "release" of Rift and  a slew of new players will join the game, so the level curve you see now will even itself out a bit as time progresses.

In short? No. There will always be the day-1 level capper. It's inevitable, unless of course your game doesn't have levels.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I'd like to know the number of /played hours needed to reach level cap by active MMO gamers, not the most extreme of powerlevelers, those figures are meaningless.

I mean, I went back to the classic EQ progression server, and there were people who reached L50 in like 6 days or so.

I can recall leveling in EQ in mid to high levels taking ages, a heck of a lot longer than in every other MMO except Asian grinders. Yet here we are, speedlevelers reaching L50 in classic EQ within the week.

So, number of played hours by normal active MMO gamers to reach level cap would be more interesting.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I'd like to know the number of /played hours needed to reach level cap by active MMO gamers, not the most extreme of powerlevelers, those figures are meaningless.

I mean, I went back to the classic EQ progression server, and there were people who reached L50 in like 6 days or so.

I can recall leveling in EQ in mid to high levels taking ages, a heck of a lot longer than in every other MMO except Asian grinders. Yet here we are, speedlevelers reaching L50 in classic EQ within the week.

So, number of played hours by normal active MMO gamers to reach level cap would be more interesting.

My average time in World of Warcraft to reach 1 to 80 is around 4 days. To go from 1 to 85 would probably take 6-7.

Keep in mind that this is "/played" time not actual days. I don't sit and play the game 4 days straight. The culmination of my time actually spent INSIDE the game is your /played time.

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Leveling seemed a tad fast in all the betas I was in.  I had hoped that once I got past level 30 it would slow down, but it did not.  If you just do quests and a rift here or there you will be leveling pretty damn fast.  I had posted some feedback along with many others in the beta threads about leveling being a tad fast, but it was instantly shrugged off by rabid posters saying that I was lunatic and leveling is just right.  I have only played the headstart Friday night and some Saturday, so maybe 8-10 hours so far, and I have already got a level 19 Warrior and a 11 cleric.  I was taking it kind of slow on both as well, trying to level crafting at the same time.  I guess now I can take it even slower because I really don't feel like reaching 50 in a few weeks.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

There must be some form of additional grind (gear, renown, something) however meaningless on top though. Woot!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Worstluck

Leveling seemed a tad fast in all the betas I was in.  I had hoped that once I got past level 30 it would slow down, but it did not.  If you just do quests and a rift here or there you will be leveling pretty damn fast.  I had posted some feedback along with many others in the beta threads about leveling being a tad fast, but it was instantly shrugged off by rabid posters saying that I was lunatic and leveling is just right.  I have only played the headstart Friday night and some Saturday, so maybe 8-10 hours so far, and I have already got a level 19 Warrior and a 11 cleric.  I was taking it kind of slow on both as well, trying to level crafting at the same time.  I guess now I can take it even slower because I really don't feel like reaching 50 in a few weeks.

Leveling sounds just right to me. *shrug*.

imageimageimage
  • AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

<sigh>

I'm not sure why I"m even wasting the time to respond, BUT could you provide a link to your data?  Oh of course you don't actually have any evidence to back up your claims do you?  Well then I guess I'll just use my own anectdotal evidence.  Everyone in my guild is level 15-25 and these areas are where the bulk of the population on my server seems to be as well.  The level 40+ zones are deserted (which I know because I've ran around them picking up server first artifacts and keying to porticuli).  Hardly anyone seems bored with the rift mechanics since they don't stay open long due to people closing them unless its a zone wide event and then only because there is a boatload of content for people to consume.

Of course there are some objective facts which you also left out.  Every dungeon in the game also has 2 other modes which can be ran at higher level.  There are pvp battlegrounds and even open world pvp content.

As for guessing about the future, well this is day 4 of the head start.  They've already released with more end game content than any mmo in the last what, 5 years?   Trion isn't having to spend every waking moment simply to make the game playable.  I think its fair to say that they will be able to devote plenty of time to adding content quickly.

But whatever, you didn't really want a discussion anyway.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

My average time in World of Warcraft to reach 1 to 80 is around 4 days. To go from 1 to 85 would probably take 6-7.

Keep in mind that this is "/played" time not actual days. I don't sit and play the game 4 days straight. The culmination of my time actually spent INSIDE the game is your /played time.

Ah, nice one. Figures I most regularly encounter is for MMO's in their launch state to take something between 150 to 250 hours depending on the MMO to reach  level cap, speedlevelers excluded.

I think for CO and DCUO it was somewhat shorter than that, and for Aion somewhat longer.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Maybe it is.  I may be leveling so fast because i have done the 1-20 experience maybe 10 times since December, so it's just second nature. 

BUT overall, it just feels fast to me.  I like to play games for the journey, I don't like rushing to max to level so that I can do some bs like raid the same instance non stop for some purple lootz.  Maybe I am playing the wrong game then.  It's no big deal, it's a pretty fun game, but it might not be for me.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Ive been playing far more than I should of since Thursday, and I just hit 26 about 5 minutes ago. This is with completing every quest in Silverwood, and nearly completing all quests in Gloamwood as well. I have also spent time collecting artifacts, doing a lot of Warfronts and several dungeons.

Most of the people who hit 50 did not stop playing at all, save for bathroom breaks, since the game first launched. Sure we can level that way, but the majority of people I doubt want to or will. As for your claims that everyone else is in their 30's, no, no their not. 

Ah, nice one. Figures I most regularly encounter is for MMO's in their launch state to take something between 150 to 250 hours depending on the MMO to reach  level cap, speedlevelers excluded.

I think for CO and DCUO it was somewhat shorter than that, and for Aion somewhat longer.

Right. I would actually like to get some more information from players in different MMORPGs so we could maybe put together an average time.

imageimageimage

Right. I would actually like to get some more information from players in different MMORPGs so we could maybe put together an average time.

Let's see EVE and Darkfall, um i'll get back to you when I hit cap.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Its so nice to sit back and watch things unfold without wasting $50 or more.

Maybe it is.  I may be leveling so fast because i have done the 1-20 experience maybe 10 times since December, so it's just second nature. 

BUT overall, it just feels fast to me.  I like to play games for the journey, I don't like rushing to max to level so that I can do some bs like raid the same instance non stop for some purple lootz.  Maybe I am playing the wrong game then.  It's no big deal, it's a pretty fun game, but it might not be for me.

The journey is what you make of it. Ultimately you have to look back on the time you've spent in the game so far and ask yourself "Am I enjoying the journey?" If you can't answer that, or you can't say you are, then the entire journey is pointless anyway.

In summary, the journey is what you make of it. Just like a good movie, it has to end eventually. I just beat Radiant Historia the other day and I never felt so involved in a RPG in a long time. When I beat the game I felt saddened that it was over, and I spent half the time advertised on the box beating the game (100% completion). Looking back; however, I can say the game was worth every penny and I had no regrets. It was just so fun that I couldn't put it down.

imageimageimage
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by monoth

I would say the majority are probably in their 20's. heck, I was only able to get on Friday night and I'm 21.

my guess is that they will update the game in a few months probably raise the level cap. Then again, one can pvp or raid once you get to cap.

I mean, that is the game play people are aiming toward when they rush to cap no? If not then it's just a race for the sake of racing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Let's see EVE and Darkfall, um i'll get back to you when I hit cap.

Does EVE and Darkfall even have levels? If it doesn't, it can't really be used in the analysis because the games would be vastly different and there for not comparable (Suffice that they are MMORPGs)

imageimageimage

Originally posted by Elidien

In today's society of immediate rewards, entitlements and instant gratification, you cannot measure  something's worth by the time involved. Rift could have taken 3 times a long to level but people would have raced to the end. Just like with CATA, people raced to the end JUST TO DO IT.

The problem is, for many of us longtime MMO players, time always equaled reward. In other words, as the time involved increased, the reward did so. It was so gratifying to have a level 50 in DAOC in 2003. Now it takes 1/100 of the time. 50s are common place and easy.

The quest is if the people who did this enjoyed their time. If so, then more power to them (I just hope they don't complain about lack of content or being bored since it was their choice to play the game like this). If not, then they should re-evaluate why they did what they did and what the gained from it.

Players will always play like this and do this because they want too. The only alternative is to put boring or pointless grinds into the game and lengthen the process. of course maybe could find a fun and enjoyable grind too...maybe thats the next step of evolution.

This pretty much sums up everything I wanted to say. Thank you. I, too, would not like to see people complaining about content if they chose to spend the time racing to the level cap. If their enjoyment is the rush of competetion, then thhey should have already been fulfilled. If it's to get to the "end game" and start raiding, well.....

imageimageimage

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Does EVE and Darkfall even have levels? If it doesn't, it can't really be used in the analysis because the games would be vastly different and there for not comparable (Suffice that they are MMORPGs)

Skills can be capped out. Buy aye, I was being spurious.

Many moons ago (when I occasionally dabbled in themeparks) WAR took me about 3-4 days to hit (level) cap I recall, and SWG took me about 1 day afk for combat prof, a few hours for ent/crafter.

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

people were hitting level cap in warcraft within a week after it came out too, so what... that's their problem if they don't take it in moderation as you should with everything. if you are playing mmos more than 4 hours a day, you have a problem, it's time to get a life.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please use this thread to discuss this topic : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/308688/50s-All-ready.html .

Locked.

• TheFarseerTheFarseer Member Posts: 97

Those people who hit 50 exploited a bug (attacking mobs much higher in level than you in a group) in order to level fast. They've fixed that bug, now, but I don't think they got reprimanded for it.

I'm at level 28, myself.

This discussion has been closed.