Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My best ever gaming year was 2002 with great RPG Morrowind and great MMO AC2!

EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

By far my best gaming year was 2002 first i played Morrowind alot one of my most loved RPG'S and then at end of year i also started playing Asheron Calls 2 one of my most loved MMO'S.

What is your best year?

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

1993:  Doom 1

The first year people realized that multiplayer 3d games were the future, and the future was now.  The first time I played it I couldn't believe my eyes as it was light-years ahead of anything I had ever seen before or even imagined was possible...

Not to mention the fact that it proved without a doubt that an indie developer could not only succeed but excel.  Their fortunes began accumulating before the game was even in a store, based on people sending them checks in the mail for a copy of the full game after playing the free episode they could grab on the internet.

It is also one of the earliest examples of a large independent mod community that developed around it.

1993 will in my mind forever be the year modern internet video gaming started...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• terafisterafis Member Posts: 84

1999 was my favourite. Everquest 1 Rallos Zek server and my love affair with MMO PvP

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Evasia

By far my best gaming year was 2002 first i played Morrowind alot one of my most loved RPG'S and then at end of year i also started playing Asheron Calls 2 one of my most loved MMO'S.

What is your best year?

Ding!

same year. Neverwinter Nights came out that year as well making in an RPG heaven year.

No One Lives Forever 2 was also out as well as Global Operations (a FPS game). It was a good year to take a very long sebbatical/semi-pretend-retirement which I did.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I gotta agree that 2002 was an excellent year.

I too played AC2, and found the game to be ridiculous amounts of fun, especially after they reworked the berserker tree. AC2 could have been a great mmo if it could have been cultivated more.

• Bishop200Bishop200 Member Posts: 68

That was a great years for RPG. Not only for Morrowind, but it's the year that i have discovered the first Gothic, what a great game.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

PC .1996-2004

every each of those years had some good games, not just simply good, but those which would inspire many game creators.

from diablo 1 which pretty much made a new fun genre while also staying unique and unsurpassable. not even one hack and slash game was better than d1 and 2. look at how many games actually tried being better and failed...

need for speed 5 : porsche unleashed - a good example of arcade with a little mix of simulation. great sense of style also.

one of the last racing games that wasnt clouded by fast&furious generation.

mafia - a good mix of so many good things.

half life 1-2, stylish freestyle gameplay with extremely customizable and moddable engines.

thief, metal gear solid and hitman - every element of stealth in pretty much every game was heavily influenced by these games. if not for them such characters like ezio auditore or sam fisher wouldnt even exist.

max payne - made slo-mo popular.

prince of persia: sands of time - greatly popularized 'rewind' feature.

starcraft - a game which becomes a religion and sport in a huge country.

world of warcraft - both an extremely inspiring game in every sense for many creators (how to put so many good elements into one) and unfortunately a curse for further generations. not only ruined the lives for many, but ruined many game developers.

to the winner of the decade.....

elder scrolls: morrowind - now this game is actually influential to the whole gaming world more than some people know.

not only it was extremely well made rpg. huuuuge world filled with many things to do etc, but it also made revolution in graphics. not only it was the first good looking rpg EVER, but it actually looked much better than ANY other game. yes even action games. thanks to morrowind, action game developers got a huge kick in the nuts... like 'a WHAAAAT rpg looks better than action games?'.  not sure if thats a good thing in general, since many devs forgot what actually made games good and focus on graphics instead... still, you cant deny effect the game had on games world.

ps. notice how no matter the genre or age, all games in the list still look quite esthetically pleasing even now.

• PyreSpiritPyreSpirit Member Posts: 58

Asheron's Call 2 wasn't a 'great' mmo.

It took a franchise with fantastic potential and completely about-faced with it to make a middling Standard MMO Clone out of it.

If, instead of throwing everything great about AC1 into the trash can, AC2 had actually taken everything that Asheron's Call did, and improved upon the bad parts of AC1 while holding true to the design and story of it, AC2 -could- have been something amazing.

(Not to mention what was done to the compelling story of AC1... Global Reset Button! Get to the bunkers!)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Morrowind was actually a disappointment to me, I played Daggerfall for a really long time and Morrowind felt small and not as fun. Daggerfall is still my favorite Bethesda game, it was insanely huge. :)

I played Lineage in 2002, if my memory doesn't fail me. It was amusing but I got tired of it after a while.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Loke666

Morrowind was actually a disappointment to me, I played Daggerfall for a really long time and Morrowind felt small and not as fun. Daggerfall is still my favorite Bethesda game, it was insanely huge. :)

I played Lineage in 2002, if my memory doesn't fail me. It was amusing but I got tired of it after a while.

I missed Daggerfall but your description is how I felt about Oblivion. Had I known I never would have given them the $50 for that game, I really was not impressed at all with Oblivion

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RedencionRedencion Member Posts: 41

Heroes of Might and Magic

man, the bestest frikin game ever made

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Was playing Ultima Online, Asheron's Call and Wizardry 8

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre