Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon Earth 2012: Prelude: A Brave New World

Comments

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

"This MMORPG comes from the minds at Notorious Games, and will have anyone looking for a sandbox-come-survival simulator clutching at their crotch trying to stem the waves of orgasmic joy."

Hey thats what pvp whores do, not sandbox fans.  He forgot the horny schoolgirl giggles whenever someone is ganked.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

The article should mention pretty prominently that the game is technically FFA PVP with looting, so as to not give the wrong impression.. We all know what ffa pvp mmo games turn into

• sxman70sxman70 Member Posts: 47

Well there may nlot be a trial around for awhile, there rarely ever is for a year or so after launch of any MMO. However, if you purchase the game now as a pre-order you will be getting 2 months free play time, and they are giving us an additional 2 weeks due to the server issues & testing that have been going on & the delayed launch.

So as it stands now, for $40 pre-order you get:

-Instant access to the game to try it out before the launch in a couple weeks.

- 2 1/2 months of free gametime

- A Limited Edition special in-game weapon of your choice

Not a bad deal at all for the price. that 2 1/2 months of free game time pretty much makes up for the $40 you spend to get the game. You would be spending that $40 anyway to pay the sub of another game.

well im intrigued to the point of purchase , if this is the case above .

• ShukanoShukano Member UncommonPosts: 57

Originally posted by Sharook

Thanks for the answers, people

@WSIMike:

That's unlikely. DF was also advertized to the FFA-PVP faction, so they have to serve this faction, since it is their dedicated audience even if this means to alienate other factions (quite a dilemma imo). X while being a sandbox and currently having no pvp restrictions implemented, sets another focus.

I have some more questions about Xsyson: How big is the current world? how long do you need to travel through the widest expanion? are there any plans to further increase it?

I will probably wait for a trial and periodically check how it develops. it doesn't sound to be worth a subscription atm, only to die-hard fans.  in my opinion they should establish a donation service which allows to give them arbitrary donations (like 5-10 bucks, that i would give them, just for the cool stuff they made so far) beforehand and if you buy the game later and subscribe it is set off against the sub fees. that's what i would do as an indie developer. shared risks and shared benefits toward players.

First: http://www.xsyonwiki.net/wiki/Map

World right now is based around the Lake Tahoe area and is divided into those zones you see there although traveling between zones is seemless with no loading at all ever once you are in the game. Will take you about 30-60 minutes to run from the top of the map to bottom considering you can only full out sprint until you run out of energy, and the terrain doesn' let you run in a straight line the entire time due to hills, mountains, etc (unless you swim across the entire lake lol).

Also, if you hate Barrens Chat (and lets face it, who doesn't?) global chat is getting removed sometime after launch. One other important fact is that items, weapons, and armor have no visible stats. This requires alot of trial and error to figure out what works well for you and what doesn't.

• ShukanoShukano Member UncommonPosts: 57

Originally posted by sxman70

Well there may nlot be a trial around for awhile, there rarely ever is for a year or so after launch of any MMO. However, if you purchase the game now as a pre-order you will be getting 2 months free play time, and they are giving us an additional 2 weeks due to the server issues & testing that have been going on & the delayed launch.

So as it stands now, for $40 pre-order you get:

-Instant access to the game to try it out before the launch in a couple weeks.

- 2 1/2 months of free gametime

- A Limited Edition special in-game weapon of your choice

Not a bad deal at all for the price. that 2 1/2 months of free game time pretty much makes up for the $40 you spend to get the game. You would be spending that $40 anyway to pay the sub of another game.

well im intrigued to the point of purchase , if this is the case above .

As a minor correction, we are getting a one week headstart for preordering, not two. But you still get 2months gametime and the special weapon (which are a bit OP at the moment).

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

This does look interesting. Cheaper than Rift to try, too. Maybe I WILL have something to play this summer...

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I have been watching some videos, at first I was not sold however I miss the old swg so much I may have to cancel my wow account for this one. Wow is great but I really miss the great social experince of games like swg and eq eq2. This is the most in depth game since swg, I mean come on weather conditions and seasons affect hunting and fishing, you just got to love that stuff ppl lol.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Shukano

Originally posted by Sharook

Thanks for the answers, people

@WSIMike:

That's unlikely. DF was also advertized to the FFA-PVP faction, so they have to serve this faction, since it is their dedicated audience even if this means to alienate other factions (quite a dilemma imo). X while being a sandbox and currently having no pvp restrictions implemented, sets another focus.

I have some more questions about Xsyson: How big is the current world? how long do you need to travel through the widest expanion? are there any plans to further increase it?

I will probably wait for a trial and periodically check how it develops. it doesn't sound to be worth a subscription atm, only to die-hard fans.  in my opinion they should establish a donation service which allows to give them arbitrary donations (like 5-10 bucks, that i would give them, just for the cool stuff they made so far) beforehand and if you buy the game later and subscribe it is set off against the sub fees. that's what i would do as an indie developer. shared risks and shared benefits toward players.

First: http://www.xsyonwiki.net/wiki/Map

World right now is based around the Lake Tahoe area and is divided into those zones you see there although traveling between zones is seemless with no loading at all ever once you are in the game. Will take you about 30-60 minutes to run from the top of the map to bottom considering you can only full out sprint until you run out of energy, and the terrain doesn' let you run in a straight line the entire time due to hills, mountains, etc (unless you swim across the entire lake lol).

Also, if you hate Barrens Chat (and lets face it, who doesn't?) global chat is getting removed sometime after launch. One other important fact is that items, weapons, and armor have no visible stats. This requires alot of trial and error to figure out what works well for you and what doesn't.

In addition to this.  Xsyon world size is currently only 120sq km.  It will go up to 1400 km sq.  To give you an idea on the size, Darkfall, from my understanding, is 1200 sq km.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

This is a game that deserves the support of anyone who's picked up and played an MMO in the past 10 years.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

yay!!

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I played the game through pre-order/BETA pasted few days.  It's really good...  Its the MMO I have been waiting for, now if they can just get the combat system down pat and tweak crafting parts.  I will be in love with the game.

• neofitneofit Member UncommonPosts: 20

WSIMike is the only sane person in this thread. If you still can safely get out of your protected settlement this can only mean two things: 1. PvP isn't implemented yet or 2. the Goons and siblings haven't heard of this game yet.

Remove the non-consensual PvP crap and I'll be all over this game. But I am paying to play a game on my terms, not on someone else's.

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

Thought I'd give it a look. It's an interesting idea and reminds me of a pbm game called monster island by KJC games. As for this game, it still needs a bit of work but as yet it is pre-release so I'm not slamming it. I would certainly suggest giving it a try when they do a free trial. Or buy the game now if you like the whole concept. My only real moan about the game is the major lack of instructions. I'm sure the hardcore gamers have no problem with this. But for those of us with a life outside of gaming and hence have little time to play. We really dont want to spend an hour trying to figure out how to cut up a piece of wood for our fire. So be warned. Until they release a decent manual then your going to be in for the steepest learning curve of any game you have ever played. And if you dont have the time for that sort of learning then this game will quickly become a forgotten member of your game collection.

• SharookSharook Member Posts: 72

I saw a guy on youtube showing tutorials to various crafting activities. So it might not be so hard, if you know, where to look at.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Add proper combat to it and we may talk again. Right now is post-apo Sim-City Online.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Xyson is more of an interactive chat room than anything. If thats what you want then go at it.

I dont see this " game " lasting honestly.. Unless the always famous Indy " Miracle Patch " shows up. Which has yet to ever happen.

That makes complete sense... unless youve actually played the game or done any sort of research about it whatsoever.

It does make sense... unless you are a fanboy.

The combat is in such a terrible state right now that it might aswell have none. That means PvP and  PvE are already in a sad sad sad state. And this was a game that was supposed to have good combat many moons ago.

I am not even going to mention the hidious sound effects.

All you can do is harvest and build right now and from what I hear they recently turned terraforming off to see if it was causing the lag.

So yes.. It is an interactive chat room because there really isnt a game to be seen in Xyson yet. You talk , harvest , build.. An interactive chat room.

This games release has also been pushed back continuously since April of last year when the game was supposedly going to release and why they hyped up the Prelude to people pre ordering the game at that time.

I have been watching this game for a long time now so you shouldnt assume so much.

And why the BUY IT recommendation? Are you guys getting some kick backs or something?

Edit : This whole game stinks of viral marketing IMO.. The Xyson boards here at MMORPG.com were DEAD for MONTHs then all of a sudden the first page is always full.. Is it a coincidence that this occured when the game got close to its " release "?

Just feels off to me.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its true combat is not the best.. it works tho adn they have hired a guy to specifically work on combat and combat only so its jsut gonna get better.

I have had some good pvp fun dutring periods of no lag good 1v1 fights and some decent group fights.. yes it not amazing at the moment but if they get the combat system anything near to what monut and blade is like then it will be awesome..

As for it being an interactive chat room i guess you could say that about ever MMO.

They are an indie company without and dont have tons and tons of cash i believe they have done an awesome job so far, the crafting side of it is good fun i love building up a city for the tribe going off collecting resources that our needed to build different things...

Yes the game is not finished really they have had some nastly lag isseus over the last few days and have disabled terraforming for a few days to see if that was the issue and then try to resolve it.. lag was still there with it turned off and when i logged back inl ast night terraforming had been turned back on..

The main thing about this is the devs are very active and listen to the community this is whats needed for an mmo like this to work..

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I am guessing that the Two-Thumbs-up review is based on rating a game as an incomplete FFA PvP MMO as a 'survival' sim. If players are expecting some of the more traditional complex, in-depth systems traditionally found in MMO's, they will be surely disappointed.

I can understand how such a bare-bones game can attain a following of players that enjoy being involved with the game's growth/development and its community, but it is still a very, very niche game at best. It has been  'Pay-to-Beta'  since earlier last year and will continue to be that way even after launch. I would recommend any seriously interested players to wait until after launch to get more formal and objective feedback unless an incomplete FFA PVP 'survival' sim is exactly what is desired.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I am not paying anything at the moment.. sure i payed for pre-order but that was it. They are not taknig monthly subs yet.

This game will have tons mroe depth thna other MMOs.. whats in-depth about other MMOs out there? most are cookie cutter wow clnoes you lvl up ya toon pretty fast then you spend the rest of your life grinding for equipment? whats in-depth about that?

Anyway it true this game will not be for the majority of people, as lot of people like to jump into a game and be shown how to do everything from the start.. but people looking for somthing different then this would be a good choice... Darkfall si also a good choice..

If you really like the wow style of gameplay tho then yes you will probally hate this game.

Yes this game is not finished yet but we are all aware that its being developed over time with the first release being a smaller zone and they are going to expand it throughout the year. I knew this before i pre-ordered it last week..

So yes it will be in an unfinished state when released but msot MMORPGs are.. for small indie company they have done a great job so far.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

The game won't be finished for about 6months after its offical launch date. RIght now, its "build it online" with nothing really to do outside creating a settlment. Once the prelude is over with, at least according to Devs, there is suppose to be more added to the game (tribe quest, more monsters, metal mines, etc) and safe zones are supposed to be removed completely (leading to actual territory control).  If the "suppose to" hapens, the game will be fantasitc. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Moon-DaddyMoon-Daddy Member UncommonPosts: 101

I have been enjoying this secret game for awhile,  im glad it got given a good wrap. This truely is a great game experience, yes its still needs a lot of work to be finished game ,but, the devs work hard and listen to the community and if i am already impressed by the gameplay now then i cant wait for the future of this game. (i would wait a bit longer if you are a pvp focused player however, although i hear they are tuning that for one of the patches coming up.)

Making so much noise you dont know when to listen.

• ArnhelmArnhelm Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by Arnhelm

I'm always on the lookout for a good sandbox mmo, but this game perplexes me.  Some are calling it a "survival" sim, probably for lack of a better description, but its my understanding you just respawn when you die, which makes it just like any other mmo.  It sounds like theres not really any point to the game in way of plot, which i suppose falls in-line with many simulators, but i just don't understand the appeal of an rpg with no plot, and more importantly, no point.  In other sims there is at least some obvious point, like competition, for example, in racing games or war games, or obtaining loot to better equip your toon for further, more challenging battles which advance the story.  If the only point is survival, then everyone has already accomplished that instantly after creating a character.  If there is no imperical nature to building your toon and tribes, and by that i mean conquering other tribes and land, then what is the point, except for wasting time?  This game appears more along the lines of sim-city, or sim-people, except for this game has no appearant challenges that must be faced and conquered, no deadlines, or impending doom for failure to complete things. It seems as though you could just start a toon, and go on forever doing not much of anything with no real consequences, or motivation to accomplish anything, such as being rich or powerful, or saving the fate of humanity, or anything ressembling some motive.  What is exactly is the goal as a player of this game?   Survival?  how is that a motivation if that requirs nothing at all but pressing "start"?  Am i missing something here? 

You seem to be missing quite a bit, especially the fact that mos tof the things you listed as goals or reasons for playing are there, only in this game you decide for yourself which of those goals you want to achieve rather than having someone hold your hand and say "Here is your goal in life, and you achieve it by going here and killing this thing and getting these items".

As has been said before, several features eithe rhavent been implemented yet or are currently turned off due to the testing going on to prepare for launch. The tribal warfare & alliance systems arent in place yet, but they will be in the near future. So there is the answer to your " If there is no imperical nature to building your toon and tribes, and by that i mean conquering other tribes and land, then what is the point, except for wasting time?"

You need to remember, what is in place now, and for the next 6-9 months is the PRELUDE. We are just beggining to rebuild the world & civilization. There is no society to speak of, so how can there be any grand goals? There is no real basis to determine good & evil, rich & poor, strong & weak. The world & the people in it is very primitive right now. There are no real cities, laws, relgions, etc etc that we are used to in our own lives. Right now the entire goal is to get past the JUST surviving and begin laying the foundations for all of those things. As players influence the world and things begin shaping up, the players & tribes themselves will be creating the goals, quests, etc. And more content will be added through the actions of the players.

Think of it this way. In our society children are sent off to school at certain ages. They have teachers there who (along with parents) educate the children on a variety of subjects and basically how to determine your goals/plans for the future and how to go about doing those things. However we already have thousands of years of moral values, teachings, research, etc which have shaped the world around us and we are kind of stuck trying to fit in somewhere within these already established paramaeters.

In Xsyon, there are no teachers. Its up to you to learn those things on your own, and along the way shape the entire world to suit your desires. Rather than following someone elses rules & belief systems for religion, you can simply create your owna nd hope others will follow and grow the religion. Rather than trying to get a job at some established corporate business, such as retail store chains which accept our $ in exhange for goods/services, you start up your own trade systems & "stores" and with the help of your tribe & friends possibly also set the trend for how all future business is done.

The goal is not simply to "survive" by creating a character. The goal is to turn that survivor into a driving force in the world through whatever means you choose, and to help shape the evolution of the world into your vision of a perfect world. OR, to stop everyone else from shaping it into what they want. Just like our own world, those people & tribes who achieve military might, ecoomical status, or diplomatic/political influence will determine not only the current state of things but also the future. Our world would not be what it is if not for the influence of those in power who have come long before us, just like Xsyon's future will be determined by the actions of the players from the start of the game.

so...it really isnt an rpg then?  that would imply it is a "game."  games have rules, guidlines, and objectives.  It sounds like its an mmorp.  role-playing for the sole purpose or role playing?  lame.  i'm like gaming, not  role-playing.  i'm so glad you cleared this up for me, now i know i have absolutely no interest in this game.

• doomdealer79doomdealer79 Member Posts: 24

So I only have a 2 ghz processor, does anyone else have older gear currently trying the game and is it thusly playable or do I have to pass on this one? Recommendation is 3ghz.

• Finwick3727Finwick3727 Member Posts: 1

I really really  don't get it, what am i missing? from everything i heard and saw about this game i thought it would be great so i jumped and pre-ordered it and when i got  on there was notthing to do other then pick up sticks and grass????? if i wanted to do yard work i wouldn't be on the computer, on top of that 4 min into my  grass cutting trip i was killed...someone pls telling me what am i missing or did i just  waste money to do yard work.

• bloobersbloobers Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Finwick3727

I really really  don't get it, what am i missing? from everything i heard and saw about this game i thought it would be great so i jumped and pre-ordered it and when i got  on there was notthing to do other then pick up sticks and grass????? if i wanted to do yard work i wouldn't be on the computer, on top of that 4 min into my  grass cutting trip i was killed...someone pls telling me what am i missing or did i just  waste money to do yard work.

Finwick you really spoke my mind.

From what I read about the game, I had to immediately buy it. But, what I saw and experienced was not what i expected. All you do is sorting scrap, cut grass or walk encumbered with a log minor distances in a long time.

What did I gain? I sat there for hours doing crap !

Cutting grass remembered me, that I have to cut the grass in our garden, too. So, guess what. In 45 minutes, I cut the grass in our garden.

What did I gain? I had a positive faction hit with my wife! I got better at lawn mowing! I found out, that i need to buy some gasoline! The garden looks better now!

At last, I found out that I had to pay 39.- US$, to realise that Xsyon is for players who really have not experienced real life!