Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this site make anyone else sick?

Not the website.  But the whole MMORPG thing.

I get sick to the stomach thinking about MMORPG's.  They largely have sucked.

I enjoyed Eve Online but sold my account to buy a new computer.  But every other MMORPG I played has sucked hardcore.

I played Planetside for awhile,  but that game is played out.

This website gives me a knot in my stomach every time I come here for some reason.  Anyone else?

Comments

• jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

No, everyone here is a fanboi of one game or another.

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Then why come here?

• r1tualr1tual Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by ianubisi

Then why come here?

I like MMORPG's.  They have enormous potential to obviously be the greatest games that humans could ever create.

I kind of am excited to get my WiSH email hopefully in the next week. 

But this website does remind me of all the crappy MMO's I have played.  I just keep coming back because I obviously still havent found the game I am looking for. 

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270
    They make you sick... but you like them?

--------------------------------
    BigPeeler - The Origin

Crazy Drunk Hindu: "Man!... Why you gotta be like that Peeler?..."
    Peeler: "I dunno man... thats just the way it is. ^.-"
    Crazy Drunk Hindu: "Aye..."

BETTER RECOGNIZE!!!

--------------------------------------

Originally posted by BigPeeler

They make you sick... but you like them?

Past MMORPG's do make me sick when I think of them.

Since I dont play any MMORPG's right now,  visiting this site makes me sick.

Just because a game is a MMORPG doesnt mean I will like it.  I said I think the MMORPG genre has potential,  and it is probably my favorite genre.

But I have not found a MMORPG I like.

• dukejinxdukejinx Member UncommonPosts: 26
    You should try WoW...lots of people seem to really like that game...

Me.

Me.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

*giggles*

Most MMORPGs will try to enforce something on you because they think by enforcing it they will maintain subscriptions longers.

What they dont understand is enforcing never work, only offering does.

CoH is my current MMORPG, aint perfect, but closest to it then any other IMO.  Others always enforce tons of stuff.

The options to compete, to combat, to ally against some challenges, to chat or to simply find advices are what is bringing the players to the MMORPG.  Each time they enforce anything(even grouping) they lose some players.  Tyrants, communists and religions have all try to enforce stuff, yet, democracy always emerge, because it was the system enforcing the less and leaving the most freedom, the same logic apply even more to a hobby.  No other games have the same potentials as MMORPGs, it is a shame they are generally spoiling it stupidly.

- "Solo is, will always be, the main market. A MMORPG that succeed with little or no solo appeal is doing great considering they are ignoring the main player base.''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

If thinking of MMORPG's makes you sick to your stomach or if visiting this site does much the same then I would think that MMO's are the least of your worries.

• neiltaconeiltaco Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Anofalye

*giggles*

Most MMORPGs will try to enforce something on you because they think by enforcing it they will maintain subscriptions longers.

What they dont understand is enforcing never work, only offering does.

CoH is my current MMORPG, aint perfect, but closest to it then any other IMO.  Others always enforce tons of stuff.

The options to compete, to combat, to ally against some challenges, to chat or to simply find advices are what is bringing the players to the MMORPG.  Each time they enforce anything(even grouping) they lose some players.  Tyrants, communists and religions have all try to enforce stuff, yet, democracy always emerge, because it was the system enforcing the less and leaving the most freedom, the same logic apply even more to a hobby.  No other games have the same potentials as MMORPGs, it is a shame they are generally spoiling it stupidly.

- "Solo is, will always be, the main market. A MMORPG that succeed with little or no solo appeal is doing great considering they are ignoring the main player base.''

Uh, can you tell me what do you mean by enforcing?  Or can you give me an example on enforcing?

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Enforcing could maybe be meaningless tasks that only serve to slow down advancement (treadmills).
    Example: level/item req on maps, downtime for healing, slow traveling, heavy penalty on death, solo player forced to group (for everything).
    Now these can be nedeed for balance reasons also but sometimes developers go overboard.

I remember when ShadowLands expansion arrived for Anarchy Online, every little thing was slowed down (travel, healing, maps). The quests for being able to go into new higher level maps where just plain stupid & one mob dropped a couple of items nedeed. Only 1(one!) would spawn at a time & without items no new area. Also you had to wear a special item which means giving up some armor/stats. After a couple of months(half a year?) these quests where remmoved.

Downtime for healing I think Ragnarok Online deservers an award(Beta 2 impressions but I dont think it has changed that much).
    Without using expensive healing items you could sit for 5 hours or more, (thief with low int & vitality (more of stat = more regen)). Other classes had it a little bit easier but the healing classes would of course be bugged ALL the time for healing, now regen for having a high stat wasnt that great either. 15 minutes at high levels would be considered fast.

Yes it isnt really enforced becuase you choose to play, but it can be perceived as so.

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

Another example would be SWG, and yes i still play it due to its easy interface and the gmail feature also it runs on my low end system beautiflly, but they enforce alot of treadmil type actions like getting xp unfortunately with the buffs they made it so you can solo and never having to group (they cant seem to find a balance). Also healing you have to sit there in a med center and heal up which could take hours unless you can find a doctor, or your battle fatigue you have to find an entertainer to do it or have the skill. Oh and then theres crafting hehe nice interface but the grind sucks. I'm not even gonna go into the jedi stuff hehe.

Then there's EQ (not eq2) they force you to group to get high end quests and loot. Mind you, you can try to solo but most of the time you wont be able too.

Then CoH good game, but I stopped playing because in order for me to level more i had to group. Unless i wanted to spend a 20hrs in a week trying to solo up one level. Plus not having equipment per say kind of turned me off.

There are other examples that i could go into, but i need to sleep.

Playing Fallen Earth.

• deidesdeides Member Posts: 197

yep, this site made me sick too, not "sick" but... i would call it "eager to find my new home, and none of wha tis offered made me feel at home - kinda feeling"

An ex uo player, i played eve, and then i got my Wish beta 1.5 email and been playing that ever since :) check me out when you stat playing, wish is a very nice game - but its still beta and far from being released, which just makes me more sad :(

• lotharrlotharr Member Posts: 981

Weird... image

You got 3 stars account here...?

You gotta be really sick image

Good if you like eve, i think its okay too...

So why ya hangin round here with 3 stars if mmorpg games makes you sick?

Test Face of Mankind, when it pops out

You will like it if you like EVE image

Check it out

Im 17,94% nerd.

Just tested.

They didnt want to hear the truth that EQ2 and WoW sucked (beta tested both).  I was 5 stars at one point.

I have been in many debates on this forum with alot of people.

So here I am.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Just start a new eve account :)

Originally posted by Copeland

Just start a new eve account :)

Smoke another one.

My character was started on day 1 of Eve.  I had alot of skill training,  items,  ships,  lvl 4 research agents etc etc.

There is no way in 1 million years I would ever play Eve Online again from scratch.

If they reset the game,  then maybe.

I think I am going to turn into a WiSH junkie if it is good.  If not,  I will continue playing FPS games.

If you liked the game i dont understand why you wouldnt. Its not like you have to grind or anything just start and account and skill offline for 6 months. But yeah wish looks fun.

Originally posted by Copeland

If you liked the game i dont understand why you wouldnt. Its not like you have to grind or anything just start and account and skill offline for 6 months. But yeah wish looks fun.

Because I would be years behind the competition.  I do look at MMO's as a competitive environment.

And I just would be like "been there done that".

But I think your an idiot for even recommending I start over in a game I played for over a year.  Especially a MMORPG with skill advancement like Eve's.

Seek help. 

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by dukejinx
    You should try WoW...lots of people seem to really like that game...

Me.

Yeah EQ1 made me feel sick playing it but then after 3 years I was really sick of playing it. Was good for the first 2 years =)

WoW has restored my faith in MMORPs and if that makes me a fanboi, so be it!

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

So what your saying is that year wasnt fun? Or are you saying its pointless for anyone to start the game now?

i think your an idiot for selling an account to the game you liked to buy a computer only to not like any other games. I think you got what you deserved. Plus your posting on an mmorpg forum about how you dont like mmorpg's? wtf why are you on the forum then? retarded

let me guess that year on eve was spent camping stargates and ganking people then running off and disconnecting when challenged LOL i know your type.

but then maybe if you werent 12 you could get a job and just buy a computer.

Hmm.

Dont know how to read?  I said it is pointless to start a game over again when it has already been in existance for years.  My character was one of the most advanced characters in Eve.  It was started on day 1. 

I play TONS of games.  I just dont play any MMORPGS right now.

Why am I on this forum?  Because I like the mmorpg genre for the 15th time.  Ill be starting to play Wish hopefully in the next few days,  or even today.

I have never disconnected from a fight in Eve.  I was in Evolution.  I was in one of the first corporations to start the Fountain Alliance before that.  After Evolution I was back in the Fountain Alliance.  My very first corporation was the first corporation to ever build cruisers,  and engage in PvP.

Please spare me.  Goto school.  Get a clue.  And have fun playing a game you were too cheap to buy when it was released with your welfare,  and now have to make excuses for yourself on how it is ok to start playing a game where people are years ahead of you. imageimageimage

*edit* it would have been deleted anyway.

Who cares?  Not having my Eve account does not matter to me.  I miss out on Shiva starbases?  Whoopie doo.  I could care less.

I still have numerous other accounts in other games I can still play.  Like Planetside.  Thats a game you can play even if your a noob,  since it doesnt take long to max out.

Everquest sucks majorly.

SWG sucks majorly. 

DAOC sucks majorly.

WoW sucks majorly.

Even WiSH has its faults.  The skill system is nice,  but with a limit on ability points,  what is the point of having that type of skill system anyways?  It is basically the same thing as class's and archetypes. 

Blah blah.

All games have too many faults.

Which is why this website makes me sick,  because all of the games besides Eve Online suck. 

But I get my joys playing games like Battlefield Vietnam,  Joint Operations,  Americas Army,  on my pimped out computer.

Im waiting for the next good MMORPG.  Which is why I come here.

And yet your still posting on a site that makes you sick. Wow man you need to either get a life or find a site that you enjoy.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by r1tual
    Not the website. But the whole MMORPG thing.
    I get sick to the stomach thinking about MMORPG's. They largely have sucked.
    I enjoyed Eve Online but sold my account to buy a new computer. But every other MMORPG I played has sucked hardcore.
    I played Planetside for awhile, but that game is played out.
    This website gives me a knot in my stomach every time I come here for some reason. Anyone else?

I sort of agree with him...it does not make me sick, but most mmorpg have nothing new in the game and are just a copy of somesort from other games.. i still like planetside, but i played only the 7 day trail....i will subribe to it though. But on my opinion the mmorpg are getting bored once you play then a while. And why do i get back....for the free give-aways offcourse :P.

Just kidding, i like mmorpgs, i always like rpg's, and playing it with more ppl are just more fun, guild wars, wow, but wow started to bore me.

the main difference with a offline rpg and an mmorpg is that mmorpg lack in a story