Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash shop mercs are $50 each? ($70, really)

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I got a email with a welcome back package (Blessing LIcense + 30 Day Hero thing for free) so I started playing again after an absense of probably a year...

Anyway, I had no idea the new mercs cost that much! Damn! And $70 for the package with their skill books and upgrade jewels...

Ugh.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Yes there is 2 new mercs on IM, but players sell them for around 1.8 billion gold if you really want them.

IMO they are 'meh'.  Only nice thing about Carmilia is she can rez in TBS.

In the long run you are better off focusing on spartan/pirate/ele/himikio/odyseus/druid which you can get free from questing.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by trancejeremy

I got a email with a welcome back package (Blessing LIcense + 30 Day Hero thing for free) so I started playing again after an absense of probably a year...

Anyway, I had no idea the new mercs cost that much! Damn! And $70 for the package with their skill books and upgrade jewels...

Ugh.

Well there's $70 for the package with SOME of their books and upgrade jewels. For all the books and jewels your best bet is to actually buy 2 of those packages, sell the merc summoun ingame, get the extra books and jewels, buy the rest of the books. The price for a "full" merc (all books, all upgrades) revolves roughly around $100. Most if not all the new mercs are expected to be cash shop only also.

The PvP is expected to suffer a balance patch which will make these mercs a must for any pvp'er (they'll boost their combo rate, crit rate etc, while the class D,C mercs will get nerfed on those aspects).

Just for you to know before totally diving into the game again.

• axeleronaxeleron Member Posts: 6

Actually combo's are getting nerfed. And hitting less on KaO (Korean Atlantica) So Melle Mercs > Range Mercs in future.

But Carmilla and Christine are 2 good mercs, i got both of them very cheap back in the days... when they were cheap from players, now prices are much higher ingame so better to get them off Item mall i guess.

But 50/70 is too much, In korea its 30/50 lol.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

Just don't get anything from the cash shop.

Simple as that.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Ugh.

Atlantica can really make a game like Sword feel / seem fair and balanced in terms of cash shop usage lol. 

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

That is a bit expensive.. but I think by far the worst game for draining your wallet is Entropia Universe.

some things in that game cost over a thousand dollars

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Just save up ingame money and buy them, they are worth having, especially the cow girl, she rolls face.

Believe me, once you hit 110, making money is a breeze thanks to TBS, I'm 126 and can make a couple billion in a week from playing very little, I doubt you can do that in Sword.

• GriffihnGriffihn Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Drolkin

Just save up ingame money and buy them, they are worth having, especially the cow girl, she rolls face.

Believe me, once you hit 110, making money is a breeze thanks to TBS, I'm 126 and can make a couple billion in a week from playing very little, I doubt you can do that in Sword.

ok, here's a question: how long did it take you to hit 126? 'cause as far as i know, you can barely hit 50 in a month and last i played, there was no plvling (and even with it, i doubt you could get that high in under 3 months).

like most ppl said: it's better to just buy them (if you're insane that is). any game that nerfs itself around cash shop items/mercs isn't worth the trouble imho. you're better off playing a p2p game (sub or not) than paying over 200$ to be able to stand a chance in PvP (which is needed in late game from what i can remember).

• PesmergiaPesmergia Member Posts: 75

I played for a good 2 months and I was 104 and quit.

You cannot make any progress in the game unless you spend unreal amounts of real life cash to get there.

Anyone saying they didn't is just lying, simple as that.

Once you get 60, to make respectable progress, you have to, there is no way to make enough cash, trust me I've tried.

If you DON'T IM, it will take you a year of farming cash to go from 60-110, it's bad.

Everything is overpriced so much on the market, that's just how the game works, with very few players, the very VERY small amount of items higher tier avaliable are through the roof in prices.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by Pesmergia

I played for a good 2 months and I was 104 and quit.

You cannot make any progress in the game unless you spend unreal amounts of real life cash to get there.

Anyone saying they didn't is just lying, simple as that.

Once you get 60, to make respectable progress, you have to, there is no way to make enough cash, trust me I've tried.

If you DON'T IM, it will take you a year of farming cash to go from 60-110, it's bad.

Everything is overpriced so much on the market, that's just how the game works, with very few players, the very VERY small amount of items higher tier avaliable are through the roof in prices.

The game runs around the economy. I'm not saying that skill doesnt matter, but to reach the point where it matters, you need to pump money in like crazy.

There are tons of ways to make money ingame, and i mean serious money. It takes a huge ammount of time, research, understanding of the game and market and micromanagement to be able to do that tho. For example, when i was still playing i had 5 alts only for inventory space, 3 of them were filled with books.

Yes there are people who didnt spend a dime because they were "ahead of the patches". What do i mean by that? Well there's always a way to make a huge ammount of money ingame, but only the very high level players have access to it. If you start now, it'll take you years to reach that level, and when you reach it, the current gold mine content is nerfed to oblivion and they open another gold mine at a higher level. That makes the game fair and not cash shop heavy to the high level players who do not aim to be competitive in pvp.

The people praising the game's cash shop and policies are either:

- under lvl 97, that's when the "real game" starts, everything before that is just insanely great

- over lvl 130 with great gear (which all of them have, they've been blessed with ways to make tons of money), they can farm anything and all is nice and good for them

Anything between those levels and with only "decent" gear will have to pay thousands (not exaggerating) or play for years to catch up.

Atlantica has the most greedy cash shop from all the F2P games i've played, and i've played a few. Otherwise, the game is just great. If a less greedy company would launch something similar (subscription based, ideally), 90% of the paying people from Atlantica would move to that game.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

OMG you would have to be seriously mentally ill to actually spend $50 on anything in this "game".

I mean SERIOUSLY?!

• RussariaRussaria Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by simmihi

Atlantica has the most greedy cash shop from all the F2P games i've played, and i've played a few. Otherwise, the game is just great. If a less greedy company would launch something similar (subscription based, ideally), 90% of the paying people from Atlantica would move to that game.

Most of the original first players have prayed since then for this very thing. I'd burn black candles at midnight and happily be pimped for 3 years to fat tossers, if some company would just clone this game and run it fairly...lol The game itself is awesome, the company the has truend it into a greed fest/con is the thing everyone hates and leaves for, Not the game itself.