Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resolution and other questions: buying used

anarkaiaanarkaia Member Posts: 76

So let's say I go with a cheap, used computer, that works. From Goodwill or someplace else that sells them.

What is the resolution in WoW, or DCUO? I want the best, but I may have to settle for used that works.

And a motherboard, cpu and card that is like a year old. I have not looked at Goodwill's selection.

I'll most likely buy what I've been planning to buy, though.

This is my signature.

Comments

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

A bottom shelf machine from Best Buy should run WoW just fine, but don't trust good will for something like that.  At least check craigslist.org since you live in a major city.

WoW can basically run on anything; DCUO will require more oomph.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,682

Most computers aren't appropriate for gaming, even when brand new.  They don't exactly have their gaming performance improve as the years pass, either.  Unless you're a lot more savvy about what hardware to get than you're letting on, I'd be very hesitant about buying a used computer intended for gaming, as you might not recognize the cut corners that will prevent it from working.  You really don't want to spend $300 on a used computer, only to find that when you try to set it up as a gaming machine, about all that can be done is to toss it out and start over.

A cheap, used computer might make sense for someone who is only going to use it for e-mail or other such very light tasks.  But gaming is a lot more demanding than that.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by anarkaia
    So let's say I go with a cheap, used computer, that works. From Goodwill or someplace else that sells them.
    What is the resolution in WoW, or DCUO? I want the best, but I may have to settle for used that works.
    And a motherboard, cpu and card that is like a year old. I have not looked at Goodwill's selection.
    I'll most likely buy what I've been planning to buy, though.

How much do you have to spend, and what were you planning to buy? I'd try to get an Athlon II x4 640 and a Radeon 5770 for 1650x1080 or 1920x1080. If you are only on 1280x1024 you would be fine with like a 9800GTX+ or GTX 250.

If you're willing to I'd check anandtech.com, hardforum.com and overclock.net and go to their For Sale/Trade forums to buy used. I much prefer buying from enthusiasts who are only selling because they just upgraded to the newest top of the line than to buy from someone from ebay who may be unloading a piece of junk.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,146

I agree with the craigslist, or even ebay, recommendations. The enthusiast site trade/sell forums are good too, as was recommended.

Resolution is going to depend on your monitor, as most video cards can at least produce a resolution high enough to run on the biggest monitors, at least as far as the desktop goes. Now, if they can do this and maintain the frame rate in a video game is an entirely different matter, and varies based on the card and the game. Most people consider 1920x1080 (or 1080p) to be high resolution, and this is what most larger (20+" wide screen) monitors support, as well as all 1080 HDTVs.

You can buy a new very decent computer, if you are willing and able to build yourself, for around $700. Used, it depends on how patient you are to wait for what you want, sometimes piecing it together can take time, but you can get good deals on individual parts. Don't forget that sales, combo deals, and rebates on the bigger tech sales sites can often rival used prices as well, especially when buying OEM parts.