Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a "Real" MMO?

I see this posted on these forums all the time, "x game is a real mmo."

What current games do you consider a real MMO?

What games that are on MMORPG.com aren't really MMO's?

What features does a MMO have to have to be considered a real MMO?

What features does a MMO have to have to be considered a real MMORPG?

I don't really have a strict sense of what a MMO is so this is what I think:

A game where you can play with hundreds of people at once and you can actually see their character/s in your game.

-A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once.

-The only one keeping you from success is yourself.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

First thing on my list is, can you play it offline? -If the answer is yes, it is not an MMO. The rest is more or less debatable. One thing is for sure: Any strict minimum player count anyone suggests is completely arbitrary.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• InveritusInveritus Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by Numynclatre

A game where you can play with hundreds of people at once and you can actually see their character/s in your game.

Short and sweet: An MMO is a game that takes place in an online world. Not a "map," not an arena. You must be able to interact with it and you must be able to, at any point, walk away and start doing something else without moving to a different one. That is why MAG is not an MMO, or Left 4 Dead.

In my palm I hold the world, in my hand I grasp it.
    I loosened my fist but for an instant,
    and thus I failed to clasp it.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

What isn't an MMO? Guild Wars. WoW almost isn't.

What is an MMORPG? A massive immersive world, without instances, where hundreds of people can interact with one another at all times, focus on socializing.

That is the heart of what MMOs used to be about.

WoW on the other hand, almost entirely instanced, almost no focus on socializing, its clearly a game rather than a world that makes sense (the quests alone make this) eck.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

You forgot to add RPG to it.  If two players can log in at once that is a multiplayer game.  If you can make a name for youself with other players around you then its an MMORPG.  The more sandbox the game is the more RPG it is.  Like Darkfall.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Massively Multiplayer:  Has to have multiple concurrent players.  Massive amounts.

Online:  Over the internet.

Role Playing:  There should be a lot of people saying 'thee' and 'thou'.  Unless it's a space game, in which case there should be a lot of people talking about hyperspace and nanotechnology, and looking very serious.

Game:  It has to have rules.  Without rules it's just a bunch of people talking funny.

Meowhead:  Taking words too literally for their own good.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Meowhead

Massively Multiplayer:  Has to have multiple concurrent players.  Massive amounts.

Exactly. Any definition beyond that is projection of one's personal preference and has zero basis in fact or reality.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

a LARP

(oh, that's not quite the question you were asking were you ... language is so slippery)

Originally posted by maplestone

a LARP

(oh, that's not quite the question you were asking were you ... language is so slippery)

LOL! image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Role-playing game, an environment where I the player create a character and control the character in such a way that the character takes on a life of its own.  I (the guy) role-play as character.  Goofy language optional but he (or she) is "Ferdinand" not "Ken the programmer guy in the mid-west".

• One aspect of RPG is a persistant character that is stored between gaming sessions, allowing the player to continue progression as if the character never left the world.

Online, the game is played via multiple computers and network.  This implies public network, but a private wide area network of significant proportions could host an MMORPG (like Compuserve or AOL back in the day).

Massively Multiplayer, the "environment" where the game is played consists of a great number (500 is a common figure) of players who are, at least somewhat, playing with each other in a world which encompasses them all.

• I don't consider a chatroom lobby like we had for FPS games sufficient to be considered the "environment" since we didn't play in together in the chatroom, but instead were shuffled off to our own server space.

• I don't consider private instanced space to qualify as "environment".  Instances are private cooperative mini-games apart from the true multiplayer environment.

That's it for me :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Exactly. Any definition beyond that is projection of one's personal preference and has zero basis in fact or reality.

Yep that post was pretty much /end thread. 

First off, then I guess this disqualifies WoW? Because the most you can have play together is what, 40?

Massive by its old MMO definition was 200-600 players working together.

As for your other statement, no, any other definition people give is probably in line with what MMOs used to be. Back from 1997-2003 MMOs all had a few things in common, the massive amounts of players, focus on a virtual world rather than a game, and heavily emphasizing socializing. RPG mechanics were also deeply ingrained into the game. That's what an MMORPG was for a long time. This only started to change with modern MMOs. So when people ask what a "real" MMo is, others will answer "it's what MMOs were in the Golden Age, 1997-2003".

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Well first you have to specify whether you're talking about just 'mmo' or specifically 'mmorpg'.

Beyond that, history has shown that its whatever a publisher says it is.

We used to have hundreds attacking-defending Stormwind and Org.  I don't consider grouped to be a limitation of playing together.  Then again, overland pvp isn't what it used to be.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Well first you have to specify whether you're talking about just 'mmo' or specifically 'mmorpg'.

Beyond that, history has shown that its whatever a publisher says it is.

Sort of like today's auto manufacturers and the stuff they sell as SUVs.

Originally posted by Garvon3

First off, then I guess this disqualifies WoW? Because the most you can have play together is what, 40?

Really now? I mean... really?

Garvon3, there is more to WOW than just that 3 hour session twice a week when  you're grinding for your leet gear. You really don't know that? LOL

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

You can only play a "Real" MMO, if you eat the red pill. If an MMO doesn't come with a red pill, then it isn't real.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

Really now? I mean... really?

Garvon3, there is more to WOW than just that 3 hour session twice a week when  you're grinding for your leet gear. You really don't know that? LOL

Yeah, there's also grinding quests by yourself or grinding instances with a handful of people you've likely never met before and will never meet again. I wouldn't call either massive, nor would I say the game mechanics encourage socializing.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I think a "real" MMORPG is simply whatever the developers wish to label as such; however, I do have specific criteria by which I judge each MMO.  

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

What current games do you consider a real MMO? not gonna answer this is to much open to debate and answering the last 2 question answers these first  two question anyways.

What games that are on MMORPG.com aren't really MMO's?   see above

What features does a MMO have to have to be considered a real MMO?  hmm well MMO to me is any game that you can gather with a  huge amount of players (now i think what constitutes a huge amount of players has changed alot in the years when this was new to now so peoples opinions will vary) and actually see each other and interact.

For the word MASSIVELY theres no number per say . see here http://www.yourdictionary.com/massive or http://www.wordnik.com/words/massive  or  http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0503680#m_en_gb0503680.010  or  http://www.collinslanguage.com/results.aspx

You can see it varies slightly and thus we cant put an exact number .

it doesnt matter if its not in ALL the world as long as there are some places in which you can do this

example: in Guild Wars  you can gather and interact in towns and you can also play the game in instances with your party mates .

Does this make Guilds Wars a good mmorpg?  No but  your asking what a MMO is and  this qualifies as mmo, doesnt matter if the world is instanced or persistant .

i think the term MMO rather than MMORPG is rather new and i feel the acronym (MMORPG) is still evolving and should probably start branching out some .

What features does a MMO have to have to be considered a real MMORPG? Here i think we are more into the old proper term of MMORPG, i think this page here is rather on the spot  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game  oddly enough though in the wiki it calls WOW an MMORPG which i would disagree just like i wouldnt call Guild Wars and MMORPG. In the wikis first paragraph theres a link to the definition of a persistant world . Seems to me this doesnt mesh with WOW though ive never played WOW ive heards its instanced . so i would disagree with that part of the wiki.

SO what do we have? I would say for the MMORPG you need a large scale (userwise ) world that is persistant and you need to be ROLE PLAYING .

oddly enough some people have trouble with what role playing is and often wish to erroneously liken it to  the real world  with real world values.  To me RPG mean this :                                                                                                                                                                                                                              A role-playing game (RPG) is a broad family of games in which players assume the roles of characters, or take control of one or more avatars, in a fictional setting. Actions taken within the game succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.    You can see here for the various definitions of rpg -  http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Sha&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&defl=en&q=define:Role-playing+game&sa=X&ei=hiFrTfTZKJG_gQegs5XMCg&ved=0CBUQkAE

A game where you can play with hundreds of people at once and you can actually see their character/s in your game.  yes i would agree with one exception, it doesnt have to be in all the world, see the above guild wars example. i would argue MMO and MMORPG are NOT the same thing.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• impactorimpactor Member Posts: 5

let's go to the definition of an mmo:

Massive (or Massively) = Huge map, world, scenarios. Game is designed be able to handle a lot of players, NPCs, etc. etc. etc. Must have a corresponding large amount of game content.

Multiplayer - played not just by one player. Game must be played simultaneously by a lot of people.

Online - game must be played online using the internet

If a game fits all three of these descriptions... then it is an mmo...

Originally posted by impactor

Massive (or Massively) = Huge map, world, scenarios. Game is designed be able to handle a lot of players, NPCs, etc. etc. etc. Must have a corresponding large amount of game content.

Multiplayer - played not just by one player. Game must be played simultaneously by a lot of people.

However, the term is 'massively multiplayer' which was a designantion given to refer to the hundreds or thousands of players in a game world compared to the 4-32 that were currently in most multiplayer games at the time. It was not in reference to world size, as many MUDs and CRPGs would have completely kicked the MMOs to the curb in that category.

• EmergenceEmergence Member Posts: 888

However, the term is 'massively multiplayer' which was a designantion given to refer to the hundreds or thousands of players in a game world compared to the 4-32 that were currently in most multiplayer games at the time. It was not in reference to world size, as many MUDs and CRPGs would have completely kicked the MMOs to the curb in that category.

I wouldn't say  hundreds of thousands.

Most MMORPG's don't actually have that many players online at any given time. Think about it...

1) Only one server counts. You will never play with more than there are on that SINGLE server. Servers are capped at a set number of players online at any one time. World of Warcraft has TONS of servers and millions of players-- but you are NOT playing with millions of other people. Not even close. Not even a million.

2) Most MMO's are split between realms, sides, factions, continents, zones, etc. This means that of the players online at any one time, you can only player with a set amount, and the rest you never see. If there's PvP, you only ever see the PvP enemy sides.

3) In your immediately vicinity (usually a zone or area) there are only ever [x] number of players. In fact, you will rarely see more than 100 users in any one zone. Even the most heavily populated zones don't go far past 100, and CERTAINLY NOT in the thousands.

Massively Multiplayer is a lot less than people think. Take DAoC for example...

Right now as of 2/28/2011 12:36am -6CST there is...

1 Server, 1313 Players Online, and 3 Realms.

Pretending Realm populations are balanced equally, each realm has only 437 players. If this was a PvE game, you're only playing on the same server as 437 players. There are scores upon scores of zones. Since this is a PvP game, You're playing with 1313 - PvE Players - Active Players. You're left with whatever % of 1313 that active PvP players are. This is not even 1000, guaranteed.

This does not include BOTS or Multi-Boxing, AFKers, Crafters, Socializers, eRPers, RPers, those in levels 1-49 who are grinding in PvE or quests, RAIDers, etc.

Any in one moment, you may be playing in a full group of 8, against another full group of 8, for a total of 16 players playing together. At most, I've seen each side have an army of 300, which is still < 1000 players playing together. At max in the most popular day/time for the game with all 3 sides fighting, it has certainly not been hundreds of thousands of players.

MMORPG's are more MORPG than they are MMORPG, unless you consider 1000 players or 500 players MMORPG, which indeed you should.

If being a developer means being quiet, mature, well-spoken, and disconnected from the community, then by all means do me a favor and believe I'm not one.

Originally posted by Emergence

I wouldn't say  hundreds of thousands.

Neither would I.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Most multiplayer games can't get over the hump of 128 concurrent players (a 64 x 64 pvp map often times), so the "massive" part generally kicks in after that. I'm not skilled in network archicture, but my understand is it's different to design something that goes up to 128  concurrent players, and something that hold 5k or 10K concurrent players.

For "RPG" to be added (if we're talking COMPUTER rpg, not paper 'n pencil), you basically need character advancement. Skills, levels, gear, etc., that goes up in strength.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

What isn't an MMO? Guild Wars. WoW almost isn't.

What is an MMORPG? A massive immersive world, without instances, where hundreds of people can interact with one another at all times, focus on socializing.

That is the heart of what MMOs used to be about.

WoW on the other hand, almost entirely instanced, almost no focus on socializing, its clearly a game rather than a world that makes sense (the quests alone make this) eck.

You forget the last "G" stands for game. A mmorpG, of course, is a game, before it is a world. Vanguard built a huge world and no one comes. Bliz builds a fun games and laughs all the way to the bank.