Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Pilot headed to 0.0

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Well after searching and trying for about a month or so I think I've finally found a really solid corp to jump into the PvP action everyone raves about.

Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for failure with baptism by fire, but oh well I learned how to swim by being thrown into a pool so it works sometimes.

I just can't take the solo missions anymore.

So any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Without knowing what your skills are or what area you are heading to, hard to give good advice. Some general stuff I would say is learn very quickly what jump bridges are how to use them.  Get used to having to look and maybe pay more for the same equipment you got used to high sec.  If you want to make some decent money and you have decent pve skills, run some plexes (you will need decent scanning skills to find some of them).  I've been away from the game for six months, but I don't think too much has changed.  Make sure you set up your jump clones before heading out there and depending on how safe your area is, adjust your implants accordingly.  Also, if you are going to pvping a lot, it helps to have multiples of the ships you normally use for easy access when you die so you can quickly get back into the action.  Good luck.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Find out what the market is like where you're headed. If it's reasonably well supplied, dont bring any stuff up from Empire; leave your current ISK making setup in place. The one thing you will miss is easy access to skillbooks. Pre-inject as many as you can before you leave.

Make sure you have Informorph Psychology trained to at least 3. Jump clones are very very useful. As soon as you can, establish a jump clone in Empire, as well as in at least 2 stations in your 0.0 territory.

Make at least one scout alt.

Remember to be paranoid all the time. The one time you're careless and dont bother to check intel will be the time a bubble camp is waiting for you on the other side of that gate. Make sure to have local open in it's own window and watch it all the time. ALL the time. Make sure your overview is set to show neutrals, scanprobes, deployed bubbles, warp disrupt probes. Make sure your intel channel is open in it's own winder and watch it all the time. Learn how to report hostiles properly.

Buy a T1 frigate, fit it with nanofibres, a T1 MWD and a prototype cloak. Whenever you have nothing much else to do, fly around your space making bookmarks, bookmarks, bookmarks. Make safespots, insta-undock points, snipespots at stations and gates. Trust me when I say that these will save your ass over and over again - if you remember to use them, that is. Never, ever warp direct to a gate when there are hostiles in local; warp to your snipespot, or a nearby asteroid belt or moon and visual/scan check the gate.

If you need to buy something and you can't find any in the local market, import 10x of them, use 1x and put the other 9x up for sale at a decent markup. If you need it then the chances are other people in your alliance will too. That way you'll make a profit and help supply your friends at the same time.

Never fight in your ratting ship if you can possibly avoid it.

Expect to lose ships. Make sure you learn from your mistake every time you do.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Yeah Malcanis said it better than I.

I just want to reiterate that you really need to have local open all the time in it's window.  Most of 0.0 is (or at least was) still NotBlueShootIt.  That neutral just hopped into your lone system is there to either kill you, spy on you so his friends can kill you, or annoy you.  And yeah, make a TON of bookmarks...a TON.  Find out where your jump bridges are like I said, bookmark them, bookmark random safes, and bookmark safe pos's.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

The other posters have pretty much nailed it but some things cannot be overstated. Drop plenty of bookmarks to cover as many variables as possible including deep safe bookmarks. Keep local open and get to know the people who frequent the systems you will be running in most often. Also make sure your overview is not full of useless clutter and allows you to instantly identify who has jumped in near you and associated info.

Obviously always adhere to the cardinal EVE rules: Everyone is out to get you (including people offering you advice lulz :p) and never, ever fly something you cannot afford to replace without it being a kick in the teeth for you, because you will lose it.. often.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77

You're gonna die in 0,0 have fun suckah! lol 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If you got to 0.0 can you go back to high sec after that?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

Make sure your local chat window is extended as tall as possible, from the top of your screen to the bottom. That way if you're in a populated system you can easily see everyone that's there without having to use the scroll bar. Sometimes a neut/red pilot will be in local but you won't notice because they're off your local chat player list and you have to scroll down. So watch local, extend the chat channel, and if there's a scroll bar, rape that thing constantly and keep it moving so you know who's in the system with you at ALL times.

And fly cheap ships. Battlecruisers are good for belt ratting, and if you want to run anomalies take a cheap battleship that you can afford to replace. Doing these will save you alot of dough.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Of course.  You can do whatever you want.  Now, it may take you some time getting back to high sec if you are not a jump frieghter pilot, but as long as you are in a region with a decent jump bridge network, you should be able to go to and from 0.0 freely.

EDIT:  Yeah like others have said try to fly cheap for a while until you get your bearings.  I did almost all my belt ratting and most of the plexes in a drake with t2 launchers.  It's not going to tear through them like a tengu, but it will get the job done.  If you are not caldari, a cane, harbi, or myrm works well too.  Of course it depends on what region you are in, if you are going up north, don't bother with lasers.

Oh and one more thing I forgot...Intel channels.  Find out about them immediately and join them.  If your corp/alliance is worth anything they will have access to the main intel channels for the region.   These channels are not always secure so be wary, but you will learn pretty fast who you can somewhat trust (never trust anyone in eve).

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Originally posted by Malcanis

Find out what the market is like where you're headed. If it's reasonably well supplied, dont bring any stuff up from Empire; leave your current ISK making setup in place. The one thing you will miss is easy access to skillbooks. Pre-inject as many as you can before you leave.

Make sure you have Informorph Psychology trained to at least 3. Jump clones are very very useful. As soon as you can, establish a jump clone in Empire, as well as in at least 2 stations in your 0.0 territory.

Make at least one scout alt.

Remember to be paranoid all the time. The one time you're careless and dont bother to check intel will be the time a bubble camp is waiting for you on the other side of that gate. Make sure to have local open in it's own window and watch it all the time. ALL the time. Make sure your overview is set to show neutrals, scanprobes, deployed bubbles, warp disrupt probes. Make sure your intel channel is open in it's own winder and watch it all the time. Learn how to report hostiles properly.

Buy a T1 frigate, fit it with nanofibres, a T1 MWD and a prototype cloak. Whenever you have nothing much else to do, fly around your space making bookmarks, bookmarks, bookmarks. Make safespots, insta-undock points, snipespots at stations and gates. Trust me when I say that these will save your ass over and over again - if you remember to use them, that is. Never, ever warp direct to a gate when there are hostiles in local; warp to your snipespot, or a nearby asteroid belt or moon and visual/scan check the gate.

If you need to buy something and you can't find any in the local market, import 10x of them, use 1x and put the other 9x up for sale at a decent markup. If you need it then the chances are other people in your alliance will too. That way you'll make a profit and help supply your friends at the same time.

Never fight in your ratting ship if you can possibly avoid it.

Expect to lose ships. Make sure you learn from your mistake every time you do.

This post is full of so much useful information that it almost makes me want to cry. Wish I had read this right before I went to 0.0 the first time.

• DodgyPastDodgyPast Member Posts: 4

It's getting your stuff back to Empire that can be the problem if you don't have your own logistics. Obviously corp logistics pilots are less likely to make an effort to help someone who is leaving even when you are on good terms with them.

One thing missing here if you're scanning for plexes you'll also discover wormholes, don't ignore them since they may either lead directly to hi-sec or to hi-sec via a wormhole. When I lived in Stain a fair chunk of my stuff came in that way, and when it came to time to move on I moved a huge collection of stuff out as I wasn't jump capable at the time.

The other thing is be aware of the difference between Sov space and NPC space, if you have your gear in Sov space then the outposts can be captured and then you're denied access. If an outpost is captured you won't be able to dock there and will have to firesale your gear through remote sell orders / contracts. So don't leave too much stuff in an outpost that might be captured, and if you're going to be away from the game for more than a week or two move your gear to NPC / low sec stations.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

hmmm, tips..

BOOKMARKS!...   learn them, make them, remake them, make some more, use them!   Make them at stations, at gates, at asterioid belts, at planets, suns, moons, safe-spots.

I note that you said;  "Pvp action everyone raves on about"

well its really more about 0.0 life, than it is PvP.  And even then its more about Corp vs Corp and Alliance Vs Alliance.

Everything you do from ratting in belts to mining is as much a part of PvP as the actual combat itself.

Hope you have fun :D

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

I agree with Malcanis post. Bookmarks/area familiarization is your strongest advantage in 0.0. In your home system, what is the closest celestial body nearest each gate? Is it off the grid? Where would you pop a cyno if asked? Do you have an insta-undock if you have a station?

You can practice this in empire, so it's not hard to learn. Ask questions...more importantly..follow instructions. Learn to use VOIP. Intel channels are important. Ask to assist scouts when doing ops...learn what they do. DPS is easy to figure out..learn the roles of others so you will be an effective FC after a few months or so.

Get a few people in cheap ships after a few months/weeks and FC them. Become an asset to your corp/alliance. Money is easy to come by in 0.0..time/effort are your bottlenecks.

Don't get complacent. Mix up what you are doing..just like in empire. Look for some trouble...remember why you freed yourself of the shackles of empire life.

Hopefully you have learned a bit of humility since we had forum discussion.

Good luck and welcome to where the sandbox of EvE begins.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I just quickly scanned the thread so I don't know if this was mentioned but ALWAYS leave a backup ratting ship in empire just in case something happens and you are either cut off from your 0.0 assets or they are destroyed in combat. If for some reason you have to limp back to empire with an empty wallet if you have a mission ship in empire it will make it much easier to start rebuilding your wealth.

• LysarionLysarion Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Minsc

I just quickly scanned the thread so I don't know if this was mentioned but ALWAYS leave a backup ratting ship in empire just in case something happens and you are either cut off from your 0.0 assets or they are destroyed in combat. If for some reason you have to limp back to empire with an empty wallet if you have a mission ship in empire it will make it much easier to start rebuilding your wealth.

THIS. Totally agreeing!

More interresting than having a ratting ship is having a LV4 missioning ship, if you have enough standing to do LV4, since you'll make more money through missions, but the ratting ship is a good start.

I'm french, that's why I sometimes mis-use or mis-spell some words... Please don't blame me.
    (but feel free to explain my error if you want =)
    Need an Eve-Online trial invite? PM me your email adress =)

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Thanks a lot for the replies people. So mapping out and spatial awareness are the first things I intend to map out.

The thing I've been worried about primarily off the bat is sustaining myself. I just recently purchased a BC (hurricane). I was originally doing armor tanking but my councilor told me that I would be better off doing shield tanking. This isn't too bad since I have some decent shield tanking skills but it has definitely set me back a little bit.

I'm under the impression that ratting and plexing will be my main source of income. Some of the guys made it sound like there is really good isk to be made during downtime (we live on the fronts) which would be good because right now I feel like my income is slightly better than paltry doing lvl 3 missions.

The shield tanking fit I got from the corp is allowing me to blow through lvl 3 missions with relative ease so I'm hoping that will translate to being able to rat.

Thanks for the heads up with the skillbooks I went out and bought what I could afford. The Corp is supposed to have great logistics and yes my first jump freight from the staging area to our sovereign area is free.

One thing as minmitar I haven't been able to figure out, for PvP - Do I  want to do auto cannons or artillery?

I'm excited to get into the mix of it all. I hope picking up tackling and flying an interceptor won't be too bad. Are there any fundamental videos on the matter? Some litlte nuggets of information for starting PvP as a tackler?

Thanks a lot for all your replies. I'm super excited to finally get into the mix.

Originally posted by helthros

I'm under the impression that ratting and plexing will be my main source of income. Some of the guys made it sound like there is really good isk to be made during downtime (we live on the fronts) which would be good because right now I feel like my income is slightly better than paltry doing lvl 3 missions.

As long as you farm the belt and maintain the good BS spawn, you'll have a good income (something like 2/5M every 10 minutes?)

The shield tanking fit I got from the corp is allowing me to blow through lvl 3 missions with relative ease so I'm hoping that will translate to being able to rat.

Currently running complexes with a shield tanked BC, so you won't have problems for rats =)

One thing as minmitar I haven't been able to figure out, for PvP - Do I  want to do auto cannons or artillery?

Depend of situation. Ask someone from your corp for a detailed explanation, it could use 2/3 full posts here ^^

I'm french, that's why I sometimes mis-use or mis-spell some words... Please don't blame me.

Originally posted by helthros

Thanks a lot for the replies people. So mapping out and spatial awareness are the first things I intend to map out.

The thing I've been worried about primarily off the bat is sustaining myself. I just recently purchased a BC (hurricane). I was originally doing armor tanking but my councilor told me that I would be better off doing shield tanking. This isn't too bad since I have some decent shield tanking skills but it has definitely set me back a little bit.

Thanks for the heads up with the skillbooks I went out and bought what I could afford. The Corp is supposed to have great logistics and yes my first jump freight from the staging area to our sovereign area is free.

I'm excited to get into the mix of it all. I hope picking up tackling and flying an interceptor won't be too bad. Are there any fundamental videos on the matter? Some litlte nuggets of information for starting PvP as a tackler?

Thanks a lot for all your replies. I'm super excited to finally get into the mix.

Belt ratting is way easier than missioning. The biggest belt spawn you will encounter is 3 BS and 3 BCs. Unless you're in very good space, though, anomalies and plexes are where the real ISK is, and you'll want a beefier ship tan a cane to do the good ones (Havens are about equivelent to a level 4 mission, Sanctums about equivalent to a very big L4 (Ring Sanctums) or somewhat more (Station Sanctums))

You'll probably be able to Havens if you team up with another player. You're not going to be able to do Sanctums for a while. I cant remember what the anomaly under Havens is, but those will be perfect for you. There probably wont be much competition for them either - the ISK whores only care about Havens & Sanctums.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

So I've been living out in null sec for a week or so and I must say simply WOW! Not the game, but the expression!

Holy crap the game is SOOOO different once you get into the PvP wars. The constant fighting over sovereignty. The lack of real security when you're out ratting. Everything matters, every piece of equipment for sale matters, every ship in every zone, lotsss of intel.

Anytime of the day another corp/alliance can be running an ops that will interfere with what you had planned. I've lost a frigate already but I've also gotten in on two kills which was damn fun. Even something as simple as going out and picking something up can be an adrenaline induced adventure.

I can't wait till I learn the ropes a little better and get myself further situated. Out in Empire I couldn't understand how people could got 'hooked' on this game. Now I totally understand it and find that I myself am hooked. I can't wait to log in the next time.

So my advice as someone that trialed the game 3-4 times before actually getting here: Get into a decent null/lowsec PvP Corp. It's said time and time again, and sometimes easier said  than done, but it really does make all the difference in this game. Not only is the action that much better, but the pepole I've joined in my corp have been simply awesome. I regularly shoot the breeze with them on coms and such and it makes the whole game experience that much more pleasant.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i leave this in here because maybe someone will need them

BestSigEver :P

I don't want to start a new thread so I will ask my question here :)

I am still experimenting with the different stuff you can do in this game. However, I am still using the ships I got from the tutorials.

Is there a good guide or something which shows you which ships are good for exploration, mining etc. and which skills you need to train for them. I hear a lot that I should try to train skills for one ship until I can fit it properly but I don't know which skills I need to train for which ship etc. At the moment, I am training some random skills from the certificates planner but it's quite confusing. So any guides or websites where I can read up on this?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

I am still experimenting with the different stuff you can do in this game. However, I am still using the ships I got from the tutorials.
    Is there a good guide or something which shows you which ships are good for exploration, mining etc. and which skills you need to train for them. I hear a lot that I should try to train skills for one ship until I can fit it properly but I don't know which skills I need to train for which ship etc. At the moment, I am training some random skills from the certificates planner but it's quite confusing. So any guides or websites where I can read up on this?

you know if a ship is designed for a role or another by reading the description, also on the show info tab there is a list of requirement skills for each ship

google this:

evemon will help you to train skills

eve fitting tool will help you simulate ships fitting just copy and paste if you dont know how to fit a ship

BestSigEver :P

Learning how to fit a ship is one of the primary player skills in EVE. If your alliance is worth anything at all, there will be some recommended fits. Can you name a specific ship or a role you have in mind?

If you're going to be a frigs pilote, you should read the Rifter Guide. (Just exchange the racial frigate and weapons skills if not Minmatar) (Missile Guide here.)

I believe i saw a good tanking guide earlier, i'll try to find it again...

Thanks. I've decided to take up mining for the moment. I read the advanced mining guide on evelopedia and decided to start training for caldari frigates and later on caldari cruisers as according the article they seem to be the best starting ships for mining.

My race is gallente is it okay for me to train for other races' ships so early on ?