Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I start over?

Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Since its free I'm going to give it a shot again. I played for about a week at launch before I uninstalled but I've heard they've changed a lot since then. My question is has it changed enought that I should start with a new char or can I just pick up where I left off?

Thx

Comments

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

You'll probably get a few hours out of this before it drys up again. Nothing amazingly new has been added / changed. I went back about a week ago to try out the free to play, see if anything has changed. I was disappointed.

It won't hurt to get the updates and try for yourself, I mean it's free to play now so yeah won't hurt your wallet. I still disliked the game but for you it may be different.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I didn't purchase this game,but it was given to me. I've had it since January and haven't really touched it because it doesn't seem to have changed all that much.

The next update, however, it does seem like will give some changes that might be worth another try. But I don't know when that will be.

• mmrbaisitemmrbaisite Member Posts: 61

Can’t hurt to try since it is f2p (new users pick crysta as payment option and you are good for f2p). The bazaar search is ok; it is a nice addition, not perfect, but way better. The game is ok I guess, but to me it feels like a big solo game and it's too quiet (I'm not on a ''low pop'' server). They really need to address the party/team construction/setup/option/challenge/requirement/whatever in this game. I can solo on my ps3.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

The UI, SP gain, market wards, and the addition of NMs and NM leves are the only things that have improved and been added. As far as content goes it is still very much lacking. They plan to add new quests and mini quests in the next patch. If you want to get into a good LS and hunt a handful of NMs then you might want to jump right back in. If you are looking for more quests and large scale PvE, Companies, etc, they are still not in game yet.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I play the game 1 thing I tell you find a linkshell fast or play with friends or you'll get bored.

I got a job at cap (Pugilist) so I'm not newish to the game.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Well, let's see.

Since September 2010, the old producer got the ball rolling but did not have the time to make any substantial and needed changes due to the change in leadership.

Since December 2010 the development pretty much restarted, meaning old plans were scrapped and new plans are being developed instead.  This, once again, means that they haven't got much anything substantial done in just a few months [since the change in leadership].

If it wasn't for the change in leadership, they would be further in the development than they are now (since it has been almost 5 months since release already). Changing the game from the core takes time, time that neither producer has had so far (2½ months for the old producer and around the same for the new producer). That said, do not start over yet, start over when the new producer starts his campaign for the PS3 version.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I was one of the early suckers who jumped on the pre-order grenade. I made it level 22, with many various classes in the mid-upper teens before I finally said "This blows".

I'm pretty well waiting for the PS3 release, and I'm just considering this
    a) A very long and extended beta period
    b) An expensive lesson in not buying into hype or the reputation of a developer
    Once the PS3 release hits, or they start charging a subscription fee, I'll look at the changes and re-evaluate. Odds are I won't go back, there are some newer titles that look promising on the short term, and FFXIV will never be able to recover totally no matter how great the fixes are.

The new developer has said that he doesn't intend on nuking existing characters, or wiping the slate clean, so it's possible that you could just pick up where you left off, but depending on the extent of the changes, you may not want to. Best case is that they change the content so much, that starting over will tell you more of the story and just be plain out fun.

Seeing the progress of the development of the "fixes", the direction in which the new production team is headed, and the extremely bitter taste in my mouth from the first release, I don't have high hopes, but I haven't counted the title totally down and out yet.

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

The UI is more responsive, leveling is slightly easier/faster, and the market wards isn't such a pain to navigate through anymore. They've also put in some NMs so that the higher levels have something to do. Other than that, not a whole lot has changed, and the game is still very much broken and incomplete. So now probably wouldn't be the best time to come back. There was a new interview though, with Yoshi and some EU fansite...

"Finalfantasy14.eu :

When do you think FFXIV will really be operational?

Naoki Yoshida :

Because he is a hardcore player, it is really difficult to be satisfied with a MMO, he really wants to put a lot of things in the game. And also Sundi was saying because it's a MMO, it's never going to be completed, there's always going to a lot of additional stuff added to the game. But at the same time, around spring time, he really wants to make sure there's going to be a route or stream from the early stage and the end game content, so people enjoy the beginning and the end, going through this stream.
    "

and...

"Finalfantasy14.eu :

Thank you and please try to keep going in that approach, it’s really a benefit to have someone in who we can trust and to see a real person that takes contact with us.

How do you see the future of Eorzea and more particularly the high level areas?

Naoki Yoshida :

Of course we do want to implmenent high level content, but before that we want to make sure we have a proper battle system in place. If the battle system is not working, then you can't enjoy the high level content. So at the moment, we are also making a lot improvements to the user interface, but at the same time we are working on the content and making sure once the battle system is ready, then we can implement high level content as well. It won't be in the near future, maybe around spring time hopefuly, you can see more end game content.
    "

So from what it sounds like, you should probably hold out until Spring-ish to come back. Personally though, I'd recommend waiting even longer than that.