Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow combat style

Hi , first sorry for my english i am french

I wanted to talk about the fact that a lot of people nowadays either complains about wow clone or talk about how wow is the best. I've played wow since release too and i'm not burned of this genre but the thing i'm looking the most when trying a new game is the combat gameplay. Because if i'm going to quest grind or simply grind i wanna make sure it will be fun . And on that part Wow is really good. 

Every spells have its own effects . There arent 2 spells that does the same, boom and bang with different cooldown.

But the main thing i love about wow and that i rarely to never see in any other mmo is the ability to move IN combat. I'm usually a melee character and in all the game I try you will either auto-move to your target then be stuck there the time you do the spell. And if you are a caster it feel even worse. That is one of the thing that Wow PVP and Pve has that i would like to see somewhere else

Comments

• YounggYoungg Member Posts: 61

In my opinion alot of MMO combat is really poor i feel WoW combat is boring , i prefer to be in the combat as in DarkFall and Xsyon and AoC instead of the traditional way of combat.

• Drea-merDrea-mer Member Posts: 217

The problem with games like WoW is that you spend 90% of your time looking at a damn action bar instead of the actual game.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The problem for me with that type of combat is, that it rarely requires attention. Unless you fight raid bosses, the mobs just stay at one place. You don't have to move, and you don't have to aim, since the game does that automatically. You move to a mob (if you are a ranged class, then not even that is necessary), and keep pressing a button with some attack ability, and the mob will die, if it's roughly in your level range.

It's just insanely boring after a while, in my opinion. And I then quickly put some movie or other stuff on my second monitor. Then I engage combat with some mobs, and while fighting them I watch the movie on the second screen, because the fighting with that combat system requires zero attention.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

I don't like this thread. It makes me miss Tabula Rasa and The Chronicles of Spellborn. It makes me sad that DDO is the only PvE game with a good combat system anymore and its hardly a MMOG. If WoW is considered to be a good combat system then it says a lot about the state of the genre. 

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

i did love chronicle of spellborn too :( actually that game you had to check your spellbar even more!! and i never played darkfall because everyone says you cant reach those who started before you

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Drea-mer

The problem with games like WoW is that you spend 90% of your time looking at a damn action bar instead of the actual game.

These are the people who die standing in fire.

One of the things that WOW has done recently is added combat indicators near your character, so you know when procs happen.  Besides random procs, one of the things that set good players apart from bad players is being able to get the timing of spells down so they don´t have to look at the action bar.  If your big nuke has a 10 second cooldown, good players know what they can accomplish inside that 10 seconds and know exactly when the spell is available.

If you are watching your action bar, you are missing adds coming, fire under you and it also means you are reacting to your spells availability rather than anticipating them.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by Drea-mer

These are the people who die standing in fire.

One of the things that WOW has done recently is added combat indicators near your character, so you know when procs happen.  Besides random procs, one of the things that set good players apart from bad players is being able to get the timing of spells down so they don´t have to look at the action bar.  If your big nuke has a 10 second cooldown, good players know what they can accomplish inside that 10 seconds and know exactly when the spell is available.

If you are watching your action bar, you are missing adds coming, fire under you and it also means you are reacting to your spells availability rather than anticipating them.

I'm going to have to agree with this guy. lol. WoW is NOT a hard game, but there sure are some terrible players out there.

I mean, is it really hard to remember what buttons you mapped which skills/spells to? There isn't a class in the game that uses more than 5 or 6 spells during a Raid, it only takes a split second to see if a spell has finished it's cool down or not.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I prefer a combat "style" of something like Vindictus. No targeting or at least make it like AoC where you have directional attacks.