Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intrigued but Disappointed by 'Blood and Glory' server.

Maybe oldschool MMOers are just gone, maybe there aren't enough people still around to experience them.

I think AoC has too many problems, and people are using this new PvP server as a hope to fix the current issues with AoC, rather than want a real blood and glory server. As you can see by the polls on official AoC forums, people are in favour of leaving in minigames with rewards! As well not only do they not want item/inventory loot, they want some actual form of PvP points for kills! Then PvP becomes nothing more than farming points for kills rather than true blood and glory.

There has never been a healthy (PvP based server) game that was successful with points for kills. Although I will say points for open world killing is a comprimise I'd be willing to make if it meant there were absolutely no rewards for minigame PvP.

I hope I'm not the only one out there who still loves the nerve-racking and adrenaline pumping experience of open world roaming PvP you get from games like UO, DAoC, EVE and Lineage 2.

(and no the ganking and harassing of people killing quest mobs is not what I'm talking about for those of you kids who have never experienced real PvP).

Comments

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

FFA full loot PvP doesn't work in a level/gear based game. Especially not when its so heavily instanced.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Garvon3

FFA full loot PvP doesn't work in a level/gear based game. Especially not when its so heavily instanced.

I have to agree with this, as much as i would love looting in pvp the game just isnt made for that style of play.  damn how i miss the days of Asherons Call Darktide were pvp really mattered.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I'm not sure why 'oldschool' players would be attracted to AoC just because they throw in a bastardized version of full loot to be brutally honest.

A class/level/gear based game with mini games and the like is not exactly 'oldschool' simply because you can loot part of someones inventory upon death. Whilst it may have (originally) had a AAA budget and nice graphics, most players of that ilk are more inclined to Darkfall/EVE or even classic shards of UO if 'oldschool' is really what floats their boat.

This latest gambit by FC seems more like a desperate attempt to try and appeal to those people already playing/or who have played AoC who think that a hybrid loot system make them 'hardcore' in some way, then to actually make it more 'oldschool'. It may work to increase subs temporarily or at least squeeze a bit more money out of current disatisfied customers, who knows.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

I'm not sure why 'oldschool' players would be attracted to AoC just because they throw in a bastardized version of full loot to be brutally honest.

A class/level/gear based game with mini games and the like is not exactly 'oldschool' simply because you can loot part of someones inventory upon death. Whilst it may have (originally) had a AAA budget and nice graphics, most players of that ilk are more inclined to Darkfall/EVE or even classic shards of UO if 'oldschool' is really what floats their boat.

This latest gambit by FC seems more like a desperate attempt to try and appeal to those people already playing/or who have played AoC who think that a hybrid loot system make them 'hardcore' in some way, then to actually make it more 'oldschool'. It may work to increase subs temporarily or at least squeeze a bit more money out of current disatisfied customers, who knows.

oh in the long run it will crash and burn badly because in the end its Funcom running things. but i will still check it out in the hopes of having some good battles for maybe a month or 2 on a fresh start server were everybody is low level again.

the best part about that game was the leveling up on a pvp server battleing over hunting spots, when you actually hit max level it turns lame.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

My thougts, as well. I don't see what the "old school" appeal is here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

yeah like i said it's going to have minigames, pvp exp farm, fast teleports/travel, etc...

they have no interest in making an actual old-school server, this is just some gimmick, and everyone is hoping its going to be what AoC SHOULD have been in the first place.