Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which RPGs have you played and which are your all time favourites?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

My Top 10 in order of greatness:

1. Ultima VII  - The Black Gate + Serpent Isle (THE most epic RPG ever!)

2. Ultima Underworld II (UU was the first 3d dungeon crawler, great fun!)

3. Might and Magic: World of Xeen (I think it was 5+6 combined, played it dozens of times through)

4. Ultima IV - The Quest of the Avatar (a milestone in RPGs)

5. Wizardry 7 - Crusaders of the Dark Savant

7. Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (yeah it was terribly buggy and Morrowind was better, but Daggerfall the THE breakthrough in vast open worlds)

8. Baldurs Gate (it revived RPGs when everyone thought they were a dead breed of games)

9. Mass Effect

10. Knighs of the Old Republic II (yeah, loved the 2nd part more, sue me ^^)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

I have played:

Vampire: The Masquerade

Planescape Torment

Fallout 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy X

Arcanum

The Witcher

Chrono Trigger

Morrowind

I can't remember most, at least 20 top titles or more, but I haven't completed single one, not a single RPG game ever. Most played just for a couple of hours. I just like to discuss the game mechanics and roles, but I barely even like the genre, lol. Fallout 3 was probably the one that I almost played till the end, because the world was so gritty and atmospheric. JRPG's make me nauseous, but I promised myself to try play FFX further, so I have at least played one FF game. Morrowind will be the Western game that I will first try to play through, although that takes quite a lot time, I believe.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Biowares Neverwinter nights.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

hm i would probably say my favorites are wizardry 7 and 8 and Amberstar

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I've played far too many RPG's to list as I've been playing them since the late 70's early 80's. My favorites by a wide margin would have to be The Elder Scrolls series. After that there have been several games by BioWare that I have thoroughly enjoyed... Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark being my favorite there. I also enjoyed Diablo 1&2 very much(Yes people they are RPGs). Sacred deserves an honorable mention as well.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• wkyfamwkyfam Member UncommonPosts: 38

My experience with rpg video gaming includes most of the titles mentioned by numerous posters above.  I certainly loved the Bioware games going back to the Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Icewind Dale series.  The earlier Ultima titles were fun as well.  And while I certainly have enjoyed many titles in the rpg catalogue mentioned by others, I think my earliest roots of playing table top rpgs naturally led to my all-time best memories being of the SSI Gold Box series of AD&D games.  While graphics and effects were certainly rudimentary (though not at that time), I loved using my imagination along with the simple graphics and in-depth text in order to create the experience.  Further, I really liked being able to pop in that 5.25" floppy at the end of the game, save my characters and equipment, and port them to the next game in the series.  While I can certainly recognize the complexities of such a process, I have often wondered why games have not attempted this mechanic again. 

• gc.migsgc.migs Member Posts: 17

I beleive ive played almost all rpg on the ign rpg top list, my favorite type of rpg is 3rd person view. so my all time favorite is a no brainer its still the Diablo series.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

All time favorites:

Final Fantasy: 6, 7, and Tactics

Chrono Trigger

XenoGears (Can I get this on the PSN please? So I can play it on my PSP?)

Vagrant Story

Suikoden

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    all time favourites RPG (non mmo)....

suikoden,
    tales of phantasia (super nintendo version),
    final fantasy (up to ff7),
    chrono trigger,
    golden sun,
    valkyrie profile,
    star ocean,
    seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana),
    breath of fire,
    romancing saga,
    lufia,
    saga frontier.

there are many more that i like, but these are my all time favourite RPG (non mmos)

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by rojo6934

all time favourites RPG (non mmo).... suikoden, tales of phantasia (super nintendo version), final fantasy (up to ff7), chrono trigger, golden sun, valkyrie profile, star ocean, seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana), breath of fire, romancing saga, lufia, saga frontier. there are many more that i like, but these are my all time favourite RPG (non mmos)

nice list.  mine consist of most of those.  suikoden, although very easy, had some great mechanics and depth.  final fantasy 5, 6, and 7 were fantastic to me, but I found most others relatively bland in some facets.  breath of fire 2 and 3 are very fun and unique.  star ocean 2 is a fantastic game, from fun combat (though easy) to a great alchemy/cooking system.  personally i found lufia games to be very easy and boring, with cliche'd stories.  saga frontier seemed like an awful game at first, but i got hooked trying to learn all the combos and complete the stories.  i'd add final fantasy tactics and ogre tactics, as well as xenogears.  i'm missing a bunch but mostly played them from snes/ps1 era.  didn't enjoy nes/dos rpg's like ultima etc.

Originally posted by sn0wblind00

Originally posted by rojo6934

all time favourites RPG (non mmo).... suikoden, tales of phantasia (super nintendo version), final fantasy (up to ff7), chrono trigger, golden sun, valkyrie profile, star ocean, seiken densetsu 3 (secret of mana), breath of fire, romancing saga, lufia, saga frontier. there are many more that i like, but these are my all time favourite RPG (non mmos)

nice list.  mine consist of most of those.  suikoden, although very easy, had some great mechanics and depth.  final fantasy 5, 6, and 7 were fantastic to me, but I found most others relatively bland in some facets.  breath of fire 2 and 3 are very fun and unique.  star ocean 2 is a fantastic game, from fun combat (though easy) to a great alchemy/cooking system.  personally i found lufia games to be very easy and boring, with cliche'd stories.  saga frontier seemed like an awful game at first, but i got hooked trying to learn all the combos and complete the stories.  i'd add final fantasy tactics and ogre tactics, as well as xenogears.  i'm missing a bunch but mostly played them from snes/ps1 era.  didn't enjoy nes/dos rpg's like ultima etc.

i like xenogears as well. i dont like tactic rpgs like ff tactis, suikoden tactics, ogre, etc, tho the one i kinda liked a lil bit was ark the lad (but still left it behind cos of the tactics combat... same with bahamut dragoon)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

1- Baldurs Gate

2- Morrowind ( The Elder Scroll III )

3- Fallout 2 Tactics

4- Daggerfall ( The Elder Scroll II )

5- Ultima IX Ascension

6- Diablo II

Originally posted by Xzen

All time favorites:
    Final Fantasy: 6, 7, and Tactics
    Chrono Trigger
    XenoGears (Can I get this on the PSN please? So I can play it on my PSP?)
    Vagrant Story
    Suikoden

i wish they added xeno gears to PSN and suikoden 2 (PSN has only S1) and breath of fire 4 so i can play them on my psp too :D

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

My list of favorites:

Rogue Galaxy

Suikoden series

Some of the Final Fantasy series (some were pretty bad, others were great)

Xenogears (omg they need to make a proper sequel)

Xenosaga series

Star Ocean (especially SO3)

Dragon Quest/Warrior series

Shining Force (both the older tactical ones from Sega Genesis & Saturn as well as the Playstation SF games like EX & Neo)

Azure Dreams

Landstalker (Genesis)

Alundra

Zelda series

Breath of Fire series

All of the Secret / Seiken Densetsu games (Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Children of Mana, etc)

Dark Cloud 1 & 2

Tales series (Tales of Destiny, Phantasia, etc)

Metal Saga

Super Mario RPG - Secret of the Seven Stars (or whatever the exact name was)

Chrono Trigger

Front Mission series

Robotrek

SaGa series

various Ultima games

Granstream Saga

Grandia series

Legend of Dragoon

Shadow Madness

Valkyrie Profile

Wild Arms series

.hack series (both Ps1 and Ps2 series)

Phantasy star (both the old school RPG versions & the online ones like PSO and PSU)

• keibrnkeibrn Member Posts: 15

I really like the persona series, they did a great job. I also like final fantasy. it's really cool and also my favorite.

• keibrnkeibrn Member Posts: 15

might i add, the very first online rpg game and got SOOOO addicted with waas MU online.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Lunar the silver star story complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The RPGs I love most are Lands of Lore 1 and Wizardry VIII.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Played a ton of them, best three imo are:

1- Baldur's Gate

2- Final Fantasy 7

3- Daggerfall

All three are completly different and all three are master pieces.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I enjoyed:

Dragon Age: Origins

Mass Effect

Suikoden

Oblivion

Final Fantasy 7

Baldurs Gate

Lunar Silver Star

Just a few...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

LARPs :)

• flint08flint08 Member Posts: 4

I've played the most RPG are the following;

1) DIABLO

2) DIABLO 2

3) Fallout series

4) Mass Effect

5) MC Battlegrounds

thats my list.

• cooler78cooler78 Member Posts: 6

I don't play much MMO type of RPG but I do a play a lot of RPGs.

I played Final Fantasy Series, ChronoCross, Star Ocean Series, Diablo Series, DemonSouls and other famous rpg games. My all time favourite game will always be the final fantasy series. With good graphics, gameplay and specially the story line. As long as the developers don't run out of stories to tell I'll always play this type of game.

• tommyli76tommyli76 Member Posts: 7

i've been a final fantasy series fan ever since i was 13. and i could say that my all time favourite game is final fantasy 7. i've tried and played a lot of rpg before and even now.

• Julle08Julle08 Member Posts: 5

Ofcourse many would agree that diablo series is the best, and that is why that is my favorite RPG of all time. KUDOS to blizzard for thier hard work.