Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF $30ish budget soundcard

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

I am looking for a decent budget soundcard to replace the problematic onboard sound of an Asus P5E motherboard. It worked fine for the first 2 years but over the last year or so the sound cuts in and out randomly. Sometimes a jiggle of the connector in the back fixes it, sometimes not. It will be fine for days on end then not work for a whole day. Tried all Asus drivers for my mobo as well as some from other Asus boards in that generation. It has the Supreme FX II "riser" in the top most PCI slot. Anyway I figured a $30ish budget sound card will fix this.

http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=cPrufUGXUlY9OsYv

It says this is the driver:

ADI 1988A/B Audio Driver v6.10.X.6585 for XP / Vista / Win7 32bit and 64bit

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,302

Sound Cards are usually not necessary, but if you are looking for one this is the only one I can recommend in your price range.

Asus Xonar Entry

Its $29.99.  In sound cards most used c-media's chipset.  C-Media was bought by ASUS a few years ago, so all sound cards that are not SoundBlaster or ASUS are using old designs.  SoundBlaster is crap so the only real choice spending under $100 is ASUS.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,146

There are a lot of external USB "Sound cards" for under $30. I don't have any experience with them though, so I can't recommend one over another.

You could also just get USB or Bluetooth speakers/headset/mic, they don't need a sound card at all to work. Again, I don't have a whole lot of experience with these, so I can't really recommend one over another.

Just throwing out more options that are in your price range.