Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

News on the engine upgrade?

Comments

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

It's just a tactic to drag it out longer.

If they'd had any intentions of a engine update actually hitting live servers it'd been done five years ago.

Hell in this length of time we should've had AO2, and a live video feed of whoever dreamed up Shadowlands being beaten with a potato sack full of doorknobs.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

They just need to make AO 2. I mean we need a great sci fi mmo that isnt crappy Star Trek and Star Wars. Im so sick of those 2 franchises. Give me AO 2 and I will be VERY happy.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Skeeter870

It's just a tactic to drag it out longer.

If they'd had any intentions of a engine update actually hitting live servers it'd been done five years ago.

Hell in this length of time we should've had AO2, and a live video feed of whoever dreamed up Shadowlands being beaten with a potato sack full of doorknobs.

Its not your fault you dont know why its taking so long, or what resources are devoted to implimenting a new engin and reskinning the handful of items and few areas in the AO world...its not like they give a community update on the state of the project every week....

/s

I dont think they are doing this, the engin update for people like you, who will probably log on after its implimented and go "wtf other games have better graphics than this" and leave.

They got a small team working from canada on this, and i huge project.

Unless were trying to rush funcom into releasing a product before its fully ready to be released...

Let them take however long they need, games still going to be around, and what they are doing isnt going to change much else than the skins (not modles) and preformance (it will have GPU capabilities)...its more or less for nostalgic purposes ensuring the game will be playable for years to come.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I am looking forward to the engine update but at this point I think Funcom should move forward with a new Sci Fi game or just remodel all the character models.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

you guys do realize the ao team is sitting at about 6 people total right now right?

personally i think its amazing that theyve gotten this far with the engine update, let alone all the anniversary stuff thats going in at the moment.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• GrebdnullGrebdnull Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by cerebrix

you guys do realize the ao team is sitting at about 6 people total right now right?

Just a slight correction regarding the number of people belonging to the AO team. As also stated in another thread, there are currently 14 members and a 15th is incoming when a replacement for Metaing, who recently quit, is found.

Means - Game Director

Kintaii - Senior Designer

Lindelu - Senior Designer

Genele - Senior Designer

Macrosun - Lead Coder

Parsed - Render Coder

Bronson - Code Intern

MstrBstrd - Artist  

Flaptoot - Artist

Cube - Art Intern

Famine - Community Manager

Waldgeist - German Community Manager

Tarib - Community Manager

ShadowGod - Game Master

Source (scroll down)

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Grebdnull

Originally posted by cerebrix

Just a slight correction regarding the number of people belonging to the AO team. As also stated in another thread, there are currently 14 members and a 15th is incoming when a replacement for Metaing, who recently quit, is found.

Means - Game Director

Kintaii - Senior Designer

Lindelu - Senior Designer

Genele - Senior Designer

Macrosun - Lead Coder

Parsed - Render Coder

Bronson - Code Intern

MstrBstrd - Artist  

Flaptoot - Artist

Cube - Art Intern

Famine - Community Manager

Waldgeist - German Community Manager

Tarib - Community Manager

ShadowGod - Game Master

Source (scroll down)

Famine works for whole FC I belive. And then they are lending some people for engine...

Still more than 6...

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

The code render ppl assisting withe the Dreamworld integration are not listed there - Parsed is dedicated AO coder, I believe.

~\_/~\_O

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Sadly, it's kinda too late at this point. Have you even tried to play AO lately?? Go ahead.....try to stand there trading shots with a mob for 5 minutes without freaking out from boredom.

AO needs more than an engine upgrade. It needs a proper sequel, with a complete combat revamp.

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76

I would definitely play if the new engine ever goes live, but at this point I have no faith that it ever will.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Sadly, it's kinda too late at this point. Have you even tried to play AO lately?? Go ahead.....try to stand there trading shots with a mob for 5 minutes without freaking out from boredom.

AO needs more than an engine upgrade. It needs a proper sequel, with a complete combat revamp.

If FC made new game AO would lose it's strongest point, incredibly deep skill/equipment system. Something quite unique nowdays...

I do agree powerbalance is out of line now... Still, new game would likely be worse...

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Originally posted by kb4blu

Originally posted by Aguitha

This engine upgrade is Funcom running joke, the Funcom Duke Nukem Forever.  It's been in the work for at least 5 years, i first heard of it in 2006 when i was playing and it was supposed to be up and running the year later.   I dont believe them anymore.

I don't believe them either.  Its just been too long and every time they say anything about it they always have an excuse.  Not only will Duke Nukem come out before their upgrade, but world peace will break out sooner.

Well the Duke is back, but theres still a lot of strife and war going on around the world, so I guess there is still some hope,

....I think?

...um is that a good thing or a bad thing?

....Man, I don't know what to belive any more????

• quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Amen. I'd love to see an updated version of the game with the same depth as the first. Sadly, FC has already said there would not be a sequel to AO, so there's not much chance of it ever happening. Still, one can dream...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by quasar941

Amen. I'd love to see an updated version of the game with the same depth as the first. Sadly, FC has already said there would not be a sequel to AO, so there's not much chance of it ever happening. Still, one can dream...

and ya know what allways RULED about AO??? All the game's mechanics, from ressurection to teleportation, to PVP restricted zones, were given an explaination and had lore built up around them.

Yes, you were playing a game....but it didn't feel like an artificial game.

No one even bothers with this level of immersion anymore (with the possible exception of Fallen Earth)...they just expect us to accept the artificial game mechanics as a given.

And yeah....I know they said they never would.....but I'll never give up hope!

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by quasar941

and ya know what allways RULED about AO??? All the game's mechanics, from ressurection to teleportation, to PVP restricted zones, were given an explaination and had lore built up around them.

Yes, you were playing a game....but it didn't feel like an artificial game.

No one even bothers with this level of immersion anymore (with the possible exception of Fallen Earth)...they just expect us to accept the artificial game mechanics as a given.

And yeah....I know they said they never would.....but I'll never give up hope!

all of that lore and reasoning was entirely ragnar tornquists work.  which is why im so excited about the secret world.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

Any news now?

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Lateris
    Any news now?

not really... maybe next year. lol

Found a update here:  They are working on meshes.

And here is another update:   here

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I guess there is always hope :)

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

The new screenshots look very nice. Wonder if it will actually be implemented (finally) this year.

I am going to guess next year.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by kb4blu

Originally posted by Aguitha

This engine upgrade is Funcom running joke, the Funcom Duke Nukem Forever.  It's been in the work for at least 5 years, i first heard of it in 2006 when i was playing and it was supposed to be up and running the year later.   I dont believe them anymore.

I don't believe them either.  Its just been too long and every time they say anything about it they always have an excuse.  Not only will Duke Nukem come out before their upgrade, but world peace will break out sooner.

Duke Nukem Forever has already released.... ^^  But I was really disappointed with it.

http://www.dukenukemforever.com/full/us/

Funcom has been talking (and talking) about their engine upgrade for AO for at *least* 5 years, if not more.  At this point, I'll believe it when I see it. 

As for world peace... Given that the worlds governments are mainly run by sociopaths, there is damn little chance of that. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Haven't heard anything new lately.... Any news on the engine update?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Hope they finish it someday, not heard anything in quite awhile.