Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware 0 : Betasheda 1000

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Clueless troll is clueless.

I don't see your point AT ALL. The Elder Scrolls series are amazing and I love them, especially Morrowind and I am willing to pay 100+ quid for a new game in the series. But same could be said for ME3. I cant' wait for that game. 

Maybe you should think outside of your little MMO box? You can play all the great RPGs out. Why play only 1? I love TES and ME. DAO is also a solid game I would buy. There are so many great RPGs and once you're done with one of them you move to the next.

Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls series, Dragon Age Origins are all great games. 

And by the looks of it you don't know much about TES!  You can't even spell the company's name lol... I doubt you even played any of Bioware's game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• unrealunreal Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by unreal

^ wrong on so many levels

Both are great companies, having delivered the best RPG games in history. This debate is hopeless though.

Sorry, but SSI must also be mentioned then, in many ways they were the best maker of RPGs ever, even if the technology at the time was limited.

Games like Champions of Krynn and Pool of radiance (not the crap game released 5 years ago or so) are both classics in line with Baldurs gate and Daggerfall.

Sadly I never played those games, but on that topic Black Isle Studios should be mentioned as well with Fallout/Icewind Dale series

• desaster02desaster02 Member UncommonPosts: 20

well i like the elder scrolls series but did you know that bioware made ME2 and that game has like over 100 game of the year awards? that makes Bioware 1M : maybe 100 Bethesda yeah its called BETHESDA not BETASHEDA lol

and yeah fallout new vegas i liked the game but not better then ME2

• unrealunreal Member Posts: 53

Actually New Vegas was made by Obsidian, not Bethesda. They were just publishers

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

This is THE GREATEST game ever made in the history of ever made games, EVER.

Anyone who thinks different is a communist loving freedom hating terrorist.

• XanrnXanrn Member Posts: 154

Haha Bethseda make Traditional RPG games... BAHAHAHAHAHA...

BOTH companies make nothing but action/rpg hybrids these days.

Dragon Age : Origins was an attempt at a Traditional cRPG, but they didn't have the balls to do it properly and now have abandoned even more for DA2.

But DA2 is still more of an cRPG then anything Bethseda has made.

Bethseda make Open world Hackers/Shooters with stats.

If they made RPG they would actually put some effort into the stories, for godsake you can complete Oblivions story at lvl 2 or 1 if you are careful not to gain XP and that includes killing the Final Boss.

RPG is ment to be you Playing a ROLE in a STORY like an Actor.

Not doing whatever you want like a Stand Up.

Bethseda TES games are a "Run around in a Medieval Fantasy World doing whatever you want" Sim.

Bethseda won't even try an make a Traditional RPG, atleast Bioware tried.

Bethseda bought the Fallout  franchise, a franchise based on trying to recreate the Pen and Paper Tabletop RPG feel on the computer and made Fallout 3 a hybrid FPS/RPG. Yeah they sure do make traditional RPGs...

Also in a Bioware vs Bethseda arguement, Bethseda do not have any advantage over Bioware when it comes to screwing fans in the arse.

TES 2 to TES 3 pissed off fans, TES 3 to TES4 pissed off fans.

Then we have them buying the Fallout franchise and telling Fallout fans who were the only reason there was a goddam franchise, to suck it. Because they own the franchise and can do whatever they want.

Hell Mass Effect series might be FPS/RPG hybrid atleast the FPS elements don't mostly suck like Fallout 3.

Bioware vs Bethseda, who knows who is winning...

All I know is PC Gamers are losing.

• romanmasonromanmason Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Ikeda

Originally posted by Benedikt

you are totaly right ..... if you are a graphic-whore who care more about graphics then about gameplay, because as far as gameplay goes, this trailer doesnt show anything

Clearly because Morrowind (Bloodmoon, Tribunal) and Oblivion (Knights of the Nine, etc) were CLEARLY horrible games full of ludicrous gameplay that could be beaten in under 5 hours right?

Not that it's warranted but my two cents is these companies are like 1 and 1A of RPG development truth be told I am much more partial to the offerings given by BW as they feel more alive than the Elder Scroll games but I have spent countless hours playing the games of both these devs and in regards to the article I think many more people may fall in this same vein.

Bethesda seems to offer much more game space than BW but BW blows them out in interactivity and feel to the worlds they make as gamers we are winning as long as both of these devs continue to do what they are doing.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I need this game, and i need it now.

Also, I need Elder scrolls online now too, pretty please? Thanks

I love the elderscrolls series, they are immersive as no other game do. Also bioware games are awesome too, they are not as immersive, but they usually feature awesome stories. Both are good, lets all be friends :D

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

The trailer looks really good. However, Oblivion despite it's pretty graphics was a disappointment for me and many others when compared to the saga called Morrowind. Of course i will play Skyrim as i have not missed an Elder Scrolls tittle yet.

And of course Bioware has nothing to weep about. DA2 will be a success and will sell exrtremely good just like DA. And i am not throwing TOR on the table since it's an MMO. 

Although sometimes one can get watery eyes watching the cash flowing into the accounts however this is not weeping. image

• RogueSevenRogueSeven Member Posts: 321

now hopefully it wont be a buggy PoS like Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV...

would love some Co-Op but that just makes way too much sense to add that option

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

haters gonna hate..

Come on bioware lovers, admit that DA2 is losing space to better rpgs like Witcher 2 and now Skyrim (hype-wise of course)

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

DA2 might not be seen as a good move by bioware in the long run. They not only diverted from DA 1 with the idea of no longer making your own character, but they changed the story layout from walking and talking to episodic. Meaning instead of playing every part, picking where you go and when you go there. The story is going to be driven by the narrator, and when you finish one part of the game you move forward to the next one through a still art cut scene.

They went as far as saying that the game is set up to inforce the idea that you the player and hawk the character are not one in the same, that it is the dwarf who is narrating the games story. They do this by having you run into npcs you have never met, that are old freinds of hawks. Who are just not in the main epic parts of the story, personally I hate when a book does that. It makes me think, did I miss a page somewhere?

Yet if this is a good or bad idea will be seen when the game comes out, I just hope if it is bad, it will be bad enough to teach bioware not to fix what isn't broken but not tank the company.

Originally posted by Xanrn

Haha Bethseda make Traditional RPG games... BAHAHAHAHAHA...

They make action RPGs. There is no set definition for a 'traditional' RPG.

BOTH companies make nothing but action/rpg hybrids these days.

There is a sub-genre of the RPG genre and it is called action RPGs. They are as much an RPG as any game which requires to pause at every footstep to issue commands to your companions. RPGs are about the story and neither is the TES series lacking in this department nor are DAO/ME

Dragon Age : Origins was an attempt at a Traditional cRPG, but they didn't have the balls to do it properly and now have abandoned even more for DA2.

Again, there is no set definition for what is a traditional RPG. DAO was a very solid game. We don't need a BG2 clone do we?

But DA2 is still more of an cRPG then anything Bethseda has made.

Bethesda make sandbox/open-ended RPGs. If by CRPG you mean computer role playing game, yes they have made CRPGs which is reflected by the TES series. 

Bethseda make Open world Hackers/Shooters with stats.

Action RPGs are just as much worthy of the RPG tag as are games like Baldur's Gate which require you to pause every 10 sec. Some people find it tiresome to have to focus so much on the combat and they like to focus more on the story. 

If they made RPG they would actually put some effort into the stories, for godsake you can complete Oblivions story at lvl 2 or 1 if you are careful not to gain XP and that includes killing the Final Boss.

Oblivion is a sandbox game. To be able to complete the game at level 1-2 you will need to have prior knowledge of the game. Why would anyone avoid getting experience? IF the difficulty is not appropriate, there is a difficulty slider which will make it more challenging. The monsters difficulty scales with your level. 

RPG is ment to be you Playing a ROLE in a STORY like an Actor.

Morrowind has an amazing main quest storyline. Oblivion also has a story. The story is focused on you, the player.

Not doing whatever you want like a Stand Up.

You can do whatever you like in that game more so than most other RPGs which are close-ended.

Bethseda TES games are a "Run around in a Medieval Fantasy World doing whatever you want" Sim.

The sims series is an open/ended sandbox. The TES games have quests which guide your around the world or you can simply explore. Your definition is very subjective to you and thus cannot be used to define the game.

Bethseda won't even try an make a Traditional RPG, atleast Bioware tried.

Again, as above.

Bethseda bought the Fallout  franchise, a franchise based on trying to recreate the Pen and Paper Tabletop RPG feel on the computer and made Fallout 3 a hybrid FPS/RPG. Yeah they sure do make traditional RPGs...

You are stating a fact here. They created an FPS/RPG game. I don't remember them saying they wanted to recreate P&P Tabletop RPGs. Even if they did say, plans change, nothing is set in stone.

Also in a Bioware vs Bethseda arguement, Bethseda do not have any advantage over Bioware when it comes to screwing fans in the arse.

TES 2 to TES 3 pissed off fans, TES 3 to TES4 pissed off fans.

You are making generalisations without having any solid evidence to support your argument.

Then we have them buying the Fallout franchise and telling Fallout fans who were the only reason there was a goddam franchise, to suck it. Because they own the franchise and can do whatever they want.

They are the developer, they are calling the shots.

Hell Mass Effect series might be FPS/RPG hybrid atleast the FPS elements don't mostly suck like Fallout 3.

Bioware vs Bethseda, who knows who is winning...

All I know is PC Gamers are losing.

This is entirely your opinion and is not true for every gamer. Not sure even if it's true for the majority of PC Gamers.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Bias much? I've explained how I like Bethesda more than BW for their open world sandbox stories. However they don't win by much. In fact, BW games are more gripping, and are usually much more polished.

Now that's how you say something objectively. Foolish to do it any other way.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

I've played games by both companies.

Bethesda : Fallout 3, NV, TES3, TES4 and others.

Bioware : Knights of the old republic, Mass Effect, ME2 and others.

I am mad on the fallout genre, i spent 3 days solid getting a really crappy computer able to run Fallout back in the 90's, bought a new one for Fallout 2 and eventually bought the triple pack including BOS/tactics and the originals, these new ones just don't hook me as the originals did. i find myself going back and replaying KotOR and ME games moreso than i do with bethesda games.

For me graphics mean absolutely nothing if the gameplay and story isn't there.

In fact i tend to download mods and complete conversions for these latest fallout editions because the base story and general gameplay are just boring.

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by Lobotomist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PtPmkzv-8&hd=1

This must make Bioware weep

Bioware makes linear tactical combat games (or they did, now they're just linear combat games)

Bethesda makes sandbox games. Not even the same audience.

And there it is.  Bethesda doesn't just make sandboxes either, it makes the highest quality one's available in any market.

Rest assured, if BioWare is successful with Old Republic, which I think they will to a moderate extent, Bethesda will have to enter the fray eventually.  Being one of the best RPG game designers in history and not moving to MMORPGs is just poor long term thinking.  But let's just hope they don't crash and burn like Square Enix.

Originally posted by xSh0x

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by Lobotomist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PtPmkzv-8&hd=1

This must make Bioware weep

Bioware makes linear tactical combat games (or they did, now they're just linear combat games)

Bethesda makes sandbox games. Not even the same audience.

And there it is.  Bethesda doesn't just make sandboxes either, it makes the highest quality one's available in any market.

Rest assured, if BioWare is successful with Old Republic, which I think they will to a moderate extent, Bethesda will have to enter the fray eventually.  Being one of the best RPG game designers in history and not moving to MMORPGs is just poor long term thinking.  But let's just hope they don't crash and burn like Square Enix.

I seriously hope that MMOs are not the future of the RPG genre. In my opinion, MMOs should not be done by the amazing RPG developers. It feels like they are downgrading there games to something which is less in terms of fun.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by Evasia

And Bethesda wont BETRAY there fans like bioware do with DA2.

Meh, lots of people said Morrowind was a "betrayal" of Daggerfall; lots of people said Oblivion was a "betrayal" of Morrowind.

CRPGs generally seem to be getting less old-skool complex and more short-attention-span action-ey/console-y, and have been getting more and more like that for years, but they're still fun. 

Plus also, both Bethesda, and even BioWare to some extent, are into allowing modding. 

A fully modded-up Oblivion can be just as complex and hardcore as Daggerfall or Morrowind were; at least the devs aware of what a small but vocal minority of their playerbase want, and are willing to at least give them the tools to get on with it. 

That's a reasonable compromise, I think.

I must admit, though I enjoyed DA:O and the addon a lot, and also ME1/ME2, ME2 was starting to show signs of going in a direction I can't be bothered following - just too streamlined for my tastes.

But yeah, Jeremy Soule's music still sends shivers down my spine and reminds me of many hours of intense, immersive enjoyment playing Morrowind and Oblivion.  I'm sure Skyrim will be a great game, and moddable into one even greater for more old skool players.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Ragnaven

DA2 might not be seen as a good move by bioware in the long run. They not only diverted from DA 1 with the idea of no longer making your own character, but they changed the story layout from walking and talking to episodic. Meaning instead of playing every part, picking where you go and when you go there. The story is going to be driven by the narrator, and when you finish one part of the game you move forward to the next one through a still art cut scene.

They went as far as saying that the game is set up to inforce the idea that you the player and hawk the character are not one in the same, that it is the dwarf who is narrating the games story. They do this by having you run into npcs you have never met, that are old freinds of hawks. Who are just not in the main epic parts of the story, personally I hate when a book does that. It makes me think, did I miss a page somewhere?

Yet if this is a good or bad idea will be seen when the game comes out, I just hope if it is bad, it will be bad enough to teach bioware not to fix what isn't broken but not tank the company.

Personally I see that as a big issue. I prefer my RPG heroes to be more of a blank slate, sort of losing his background (BG-Candlekeep exile and the like) than this tight preset background. It all sounds way too much like a corset to me. I sure want to know how the DA story continues like any other bloke, but the entire narration idea IMVPO sucks balls.

I fear however, a lot of people like me just gonna buy it to know how it goes on, and Bioware might not listen to the critique, saying, hey look how many boxes we sold, so it must be good.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Comparing BioWare to Bethesda is comparing apples to oranges. Sure they both produce RPG's but the games themselves are based on totally different premises. Bioware makes great action/story driven RPG's with semi-linear worlds whereas Bethesda rules the sandbox/open world RPG markets. Both companies make great games in their own rights and should be judged based on what they are. I enjoy both company's games equally but one thing I can say is Bioware's games have limited replayability in that once you've played through a couple of times you've pretty much seen everything. I've been playing Morrowind since 2002, Oblivion since 2006 and Fallout 3 since 2009 and I still find new stuff in all of them almost every time I play. With mods they become even more replayable. Bethesda games are the only games I can truly say last me for years and never disappoint me in their replayability. I expect Skyrim should be no different.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

BW games are extremely linear, atleast ME1/2, you can choose if you do everything and order you do them in, but that's about it and then they even dumbed down already simple game even more...

Personaly I try Witcher 2 and it might be my next RPG messiah...

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

While Bioware games are not sandbox, they most definitaly aren't linear.

Linear:

Non-linear (very similar to what Bioware games are like):

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I'm sure most of you will say "STFU BABY YOU DUNNO WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT" because I've played Oblivion, but not Morrowind. My personal experience:

Total hours logged on Steam for Oblivion: 88.

Total hours logged on Steam for DA:O Ultimate Edition: 202. And counting. I haven't even played through Awakening once.

To be fair, total hours logged on Steam for ME2: 96. God help me when I finally install ME1 and play through that, haha. When DA2 comes out, I'm betting it'll be somewhere between ME2 and DA:O. All of these totals are including multiple playthroughs (for Oblivion on my first character, I went through the main questline which took almost no time at all, but on my second character I messed around a bit and enjoyed that often-touted player freedom. DA:O has one complete playthrough and 3 in progress, and ME2 has two complete playthroughs).

I've only played these games on Steam. I think Skyrim will be awesome and I enjoyed that trailer (come on, the music makes you feel so epic and heroic!), but unless they find a way to make dragons drastically different (or not make them the focus of the entire game), I might be a little bored. But, hell, dragons are a staple of the fantasy genre and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I guess I'm just not understanding why there is a competition for these games, especially since there will be such a large time in between their releases. As I said before, I'm just happy that there are some quality and varied RPGs coming out this year. DA2, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, heck even Dungeon Siege 2 (if you count that as an rpg) looks to be good. Gonna hurt my budget a bit but it's a welcome change over the past few years.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by arenasb

I guess I'm just not understanding why there is a competition for these games, especially since there will be such a large time in between their releases. As I said before, I'm just happy that there are some quality and varied RPGs coming out this year. DA2, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, heck even Dungeon Siege 2 (if you count that as an rpg) looks to be good. Gonna hurt my budget a bit but it's a welcome change over the past few years.

Right. They're spread out pretty nicely.

DA2: March.

Witcher 2: May (I think?)

Then... well, I guess we'll have a bit of a drought until November. But there are probably some releases I don't know/care enough about to remember the dates.