Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Overwhelmed

2»

Comments

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

To the OP... You're going to be very dissatisfied if you take the Champions Online route.  If you're into the sandbox thing but don't want pvp I'd check out Xsyon.  If you're into the themepark thing, despite what a lot of haters will say RIFT is the way to go.  DC Universe caters to the action based MMO.  Lots of choices however Champions Online shold not be one of them.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Tyrrhon

OP is asking what game has good community not what game has most players (WoW, the community is there but hard to find in the pile of ballast) or most hype (Rift until the gold rush ceases when no gold is found) or most trolls playing something completely different (if blatant trolls tell you they would never play DDO, it is good reason to do play DDO).

That is the issue, though.  It has been discussed here and elsewhere countless times.  No game has a good community.  No game has a bad community.  Games are microcosms of humanity.  There are good and there are bad.  You can find either in any game.  If you want the good, they are there - not hiding or anything.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Seffren

Originally posted by tachgb

RIFT is nice, but got bored after 2 beta events. So I chose Xsyon - http://www.xsyon.com , instead. Best MMO in a long time if you're into sandbox/crafting. :D

I am allways baffled by statements like these.

It's clear you are a sandbox lover ... so why assume a themepark can satisfy your needs to begin with and when it doesn't go bash on the game in favor of a sandbox one you wanted all along image

Maybe he's an MMO lover, and still finds Xyson more entertaining than Rift?

I prefer Xyson over Rift as well, but that doesnt mean a themepark in the mold of DAoC or a better version of Warhammer wouldn't really spark my interest.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

This message was edited on 8/16/15 at 5:30:00 AM

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Depends on what you're looking for is the answer to your question. Quick overview of games with pretty good populations (except WAR and DAoC):

-WoW is still going, but it is a very different game from what you left and may no longer be to your taste. There's a free-trial on to showcase the lower level areas that have been revamped since Cataclysm released. Along with completely reworked lower level areas, they've reworked the classes and the talent trees are only a pale imitation of what they once used to be. They've been 'streamlined' so to speak.

-WAR is a game that is low pop, but has the ability to be played as either PvP or PvE all the way. There is an unlimited-time trial you can play up to level 10 in. Rift will be released soon and seems to be the spiritual successor of WAR in style in many ways, but doesn't seem to be as PvP-centric. DAoC is still going but has a low population. There's a free trial out for it.

-In the same vein as Champions, you still have CoH/CoV and you have the newer game DCUO. I haven't tried either DCUO or Champions out, but I have heard that DCUO has amazing gameplay that is very different from the other MMOs. I don't know much about these games since I only really played CoH/CoV years ago.

-EvE is still going strong and has a free trial. They have revamped a lot of the new player experience, putting in a new and more involved tutorial. CCP also has made it easier to get into the game for new players by eliminating the learning skills. You no longer have to spend your first two months of play getting them so you can hop into the fun gameplay much faster. If you like sandboxes, this is an excellent choice. CCP will be adding walking in stations soonish. They've redone the avatars and added some new rat incursions that require fleets.

-EQ2 is a good fantasy themepark to get into. It's still going strong, just released a new expac. You can try it on the free-to-access server and trial it for as long as you like for free. EQ1 is still going strong and has two new Progression servers that are more like how the game used to be. There is a free trial available for it.

-Also a good fantasy themepark MMO you can access freely is Lord of the Rings Online, but I don't personally care for it. More instanced than any of these others is the Dungeons and Dragons Online game that you can also access for free, but again I don't care for this one either to be honest. Both have good populations.

-Darkfall is reportedly a good game: sandbox, ffa PvP set in a fantasy setting, and I think it has a pretty good population. I have not played it, but it seems to get good ratings from players who like that sort of gameplay.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. I haven't really mentioned the free-to-access games like Atlantica Online, but that would take way too long and I haven't played many of them so can't really recommend them.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Everyone saying Rift mostly but that wont last to long. Saw a guy on the Rift forums whos lvl 42 only after 22 hours played. I hope they have alot of plans for this game if not itll be a snooze fest. Not to mention char. customization is weak and only 3 races. Glad I never wasted my money on it. To each his own listen to whomever youd like for advice.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by ograf

I quit gaming for about 3 years with real life taking priority but came back first thing I did was play cs of course and am now trolling game boards trying to find a new mmorpg and i'm seriosly overwhelmed by the large amount of choices available.

When i first statred there was EQ and Daoc which I played daoc for 5 years then played wow for 8 months then quit.

That was all the choices then.

But now I mean heck look at all the mmorgs.

After reading the boards i've decided to give Champions a try but its really a hard choice.

Anyway if you have a recomendation to a game with a vibrant community i'll be cking any comments.

If youre looking for community itll make it that much harder.

All communities are good and bad, the bad is much more noticeable now since so many more people play video games than they did way back when... the community in every game is just simply far far far bigger than they ever used to be.

Beta's tend to have nicer communities but you will still always have the buttholes.

Anyways im totally in love with DCUO, the gameplay itself is so much freakin fun, the existing content is wonderful and theres so much of it. Theres really a lot to do in DCUO that can occupy your day. The problem is its extremely repetitive. I play it casually, anywhere from 1-5 hours a day. The game will definitely need constant content updates or it will die pretty quickly. Overall its one awesome game.

Vindictus: I always have to mention this game when people ask for reccomendations. If nothing else it is a must try. -Free to play

Mythos in beta right now is really really really fun.

Bulletstorm is cool as hell, shooter game.

S4 is one of my favorite FPS's simply because i love anime and this FPS is manga styled. -Free to play

Kabod: i like its combat because i dont have to spam global cooldowns like most games similar to WoW. -Free to play

Theres a game called Prius thats opening beta soon, it looks neat but im not too sure, im personally tired of "WoW clones" and i hear this is another one. Im still anticipating it. http://prius.gpotato.com/

If you were thinking about Rift honestly i cant help but suggest WoW instead. I could write a book on why but no thanks. Actually the downside to that is youd have to buy the game and each expansion which is stupid as hell. So maybe Rift for that reason alone but ugh.

Im personally anticipating: SWTOR, Firefall, and Tera.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I play RIFT for a great polished and fun same ole same ole themepark and Xsyon for a more open sandbox.

For you..I'd recommend either DDO or Champions online...play free and ease yourself back into MMOs. Then maybe play LOTRO for free to get a feel for a more fully realized MMO. Meanwhile...read up on the newer released or soon to be released MMOs ...P2P or F2P...and jump on the one that appeals to you most. In my experience the Turbine F2P are the best in that format..plus you can pay a sub if the F2P is too restrictive for you.. Vindictus was okay F2P and Champions is a good non-committal game imo. When you don't have many hours to play. For other Monthly MMO's I've tried and enjoyed ....you  could try free trials  for Age of Conan...Fallen Earth...WOW(though I think I'm done with it now and you might be too from your post)..City of Heroes/villians( which is still kept updated ..expanded and full of content from what I can tell) ..EQ2.(which also has a F2P client).

Hope you find one you enjoy.