Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cell phones alter brain activity.

Kind of feel better about never using one.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2011/02/23/MNCO1HS9QJ.DTL

A 50-minute cell phone call causes a noticeable increase in brain activity in the area of the head closest to the phone's antenna, a finding by government researchers that could reinforce concerns, or at least raise new questions, about the long-term health effects of cell phones.

Comments

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

"Dr. Mitch Berger, chairman of the department of neurosurgery at UCSF, agreed that the study demonstrates a need for further research. But he also noted that the effects on the brain weren't especially worrying.

Brain metabolism simply means the neurons have been stimulated - a PET scan would show similar readings if someone was asked to perform a simple task like conjugating a verb - and there's no evidence that increased brain activity is damaging, even over a long period of time, he said."

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by ScrimMaltese

"Dr. Mitch Berger, chairman of the department of neurosurgery at UCSF, agreed that the study demonstrates a need for further research. But he also noted that the effects on the brain weren't especially worrying.

Brain metabolism simply means the neurons have been stimulated - a PET scan would show similar readings if someone was asked to perform a simple task like conjugating a verb - and there's no evidence that increased brain activity is damaging, even over a long period of time, he said."

Yes, but it is happening exactly where people hold the cellphone.

"When the right phone was turned on, glucose metabolism in the section of the brain nearest the antenna was about 7 percent higher than when the phone was off."

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

I'm hoping you don't own a microwave if you are suspicious about phones.

• ccrausccraus Member Posts: 4

This is serious actually, I am concern about my health due to my last operation on my gallbladder. Even though its a long way from my brain im still in this health concious kind of thing. Cellphone developer should look into this kind of things.

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

Microwaves are especially harmful as well, as they pump radiation into food. And if you use a gas stove, it slowly kills you over time and poisons your body.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

Oh, yeah...when staring at a monitor (laptop or desktop), it pumps radiation through into your eyes...makes your eye sight a lot worse and you can go blind. Same with a television.

The flat screens aren't as bad though.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341

holy shit, the sun is bad for you, too. those harmful uv rays will damage your skin and could possibly give you skin cancer! o noes!

• SandaraSandara Member Posts: 5

There are some studies that says that the RFI produced by the cellphones are not enough to damage or affect our brain, they use very low radio frequency energy, too low to cause damage. Then the energy that it produces is non ionized meaning it does not cause damage to dna bonds. Also a study which was conducted last January 2010 by the Florida Alzheimer's Disease Research Center says that the use of cellphones may reduce the risk of  alzheimer to people. If the news about that bad effects were true, we should have seen the effects now because we have been using cellphones for years.

• RektikanoRektikano Member Posts: 4

I say all the findings that say that the frequency emitted by cellphones can really inflict damage to us especially to our brain. We may not see the effects right now because the frequency is too little but still there is still some frequency that can damage or at least make our brian prone to certain diseases. Only few people say that the findings about the good effects of cellphone frequency are true but almost most people claim that radio frequency do inflict damage to our brains.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

This just in: breathing causes cancer!

Life is 100% fatal, stop worrying so much about what's going to kill you and enjoy it.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• lifehouselifehouse Member Posts: 5

People will die not because of this cellphone thing, but because of too much stress thinking of these things. Plus the fact that they arer concern too much of their health avoiding things like these and that. We only have a chance to live so just live it to the fullest.

• EzulanEzulan Member Posts: 5

But still this is an alarming thing for, all people use cellphones daily.. I'f this thing is true then there is a possibilty that everyone of us can get certain diseases becuase of too much use of this device.

• louie3265louie3265 Member Posts: 10

i have my own phone but i dont use it a lot for calling. mostly i use it for sending email messages.

• eVILONE666eVILONE666 Member Posts: 2

Recent studies confirm that cell and cordless phone microwave can:

* Damage nerves in the scalp

* Cause blood cells to leak hemoglobin

* Cause memory loss and mental confusion

* Cause headaches and induce extreme fatigue

* Create joint pain, muscle spasms and tremors

* Create burning sensation and rash on the skin

* Alter the brain's electrical activity during sleep

* Induce ringing ! in the ears, impair sense of smell

* Precipitate cataracts, retina damage and eye cancer

* Open the blood-brain barrier to viruses and toxins

* Reduce the number and efficiency of white blood cells

* Stimulate asthma by producing histamine in mast cells

* Cause digestive problems and raise bad cholesterol levels

* Stress the endocrine system, especially pancreas, thyroid, ovaries, testes