Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of going back, should I even bother?

For some reason I've been missing this game and I was thinking of going back. Should I even bother. I'm hearing it is a dead game and no one plays it any more. 

Comments

• TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

Quite the contrary actually!

Plenty of people still play although we've "technically" been down to 1 server for a while now. Judging by my own guild make up I'm pretty sure that most of the Europeans play on the Telon server so the other one doesn't really count.

VG did take a little hit when a few raid guilds left for Rift recently but that didn't really seem to negatively affect the game much. There's still plenty of new and old players out there raiding, leveling, crafting, diploing, and having a great time.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that Vanguard's subscriber base has actually slightly increased in the past couple of weeks despite the mad dash for Rift. Granted, we did just have a double exp bonus weekend so people were playing a lot more than usual. That was such a blast!

Anyway, as a returning player myself, and one who has played far too much of everything between EverQuest Classic(Not Fippy) and WoW Cataclysm, I say that you should definitely bother. I've been back in VG for about 2 months now and the entire experience has been far more enjoyable than anything I've seen for years.

You don't even have to resub to check it out again. Just download the Isle of Dawn 14-day trial and get a feel for the game again.

Hope you give it another go and enjoy it as much as the lot of us are!

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Thanks for the input. I don't remember what servers my characters were on, but I had some around 18-20 lvl range and I'm not looking forward to starting new ones, so if I come back I'll probably resub. I remember leveling progress to be pretty slow, has that changed much? I mean aside from the double xp weekend kind of thing. I'm not looking to hit level cap in no time, but I'll probably solo half the time I play, so getting little reward for it might be a reason for me not to come back. 

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

Leveling isn't too bad these days.  There are a few of us playing VG as a group on Sunday nights.  We're right around your toons levels.  Let me know if you need a group or help with anything.  Have fun!

Originally posted by Baiame

Leveling isn't too bad these days.  There are a few of us playing VG as a group on Sunday nights.  We're right around your toons levels.  Let me know if you need a group or help with anything.  Have fun!

Thanks. How is travel between contients now? I remember being pretty bound to one contient and city depending on the race you started with. I like faction, so I hope that is pretty much the same, but I also hope I can get around a little easier if I need to travel to group with people. 

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

It's very different than it used to be.  Rifts are now used for fast travel from area to area or city to city.  It has become far easier to travel from place to place.  A good...and perhaps not so good thing:)

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

You can use Rift's to teleport to major areas, or cities or to other continents.

I only use Rifts to teleport to other continents, I always run almost everywhere. I modded out fast travel in Oblivion and Fallout 3/Vegas, as I refuse to use fast travel. But, no other easy way to other continents...so...

As for population, it seems VG has increased in population...but its not like a huge increase. I've seen a lot of people returning and even some new players. And after people who left VG realize Rift is a really small world, with really small cities and not like VG at all...a lot will probably come back. But thats just what I think "might" happen, might be wrong.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Depends on what you really want.  I enjoy VG.  I hope you do to if you decide to resub.

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm reinstalling the game now. I'll give it a shot and see if it is as much fun as I remember. 

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

I guess I really don't know any better. I just picked up both Vanguard and Everquest 1 (latest expansion) on Direct2Drive.com. Between lower prices, sales, and a 15% off code for all MMOs I figured I'd jump. I needed new copies to add them to my current SOE account (has DCUO on it).

As long as the game doesn't feel like a graveyard I figure it might be worth another shot. I managed to play a little of Rift and I ended up canceling my preorder. Not for me so I figure with no luck with recent MMOs I should go backward.

• Haggis13Haggis13 Member Posts: 117

I can't honestly say much on the state of the game, as I have been gone for a year or so now. Still, as a person who usually hops from one MMO to the other every three months or so, I can say I have always been held back from hopping back to VG.

A game that has gone back to one server and receives no content updates can drop dead at any given moment. The fact that quite a few people (i.e. entire major guilds) left for Rift makes this even worse, because -- of course -- VG has not seen a sudden inexplicable increase of subscribers right when Rift was released and right when there was a double XP weekend. That means VG just started bringing in less money. That means they are probably going to cut on costs. There is no other way of cutting costs after a game has been brought back to a single server and developments costs are basically zero than closing the service.

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

I havnt played Vanguard in a long time, but my memory of it is that it was a good game.

The combat, environment graphics, races, unique and open lands, very cool classes, diplomacy were all positives to me.

The model graphics, lack of population, crafting were the big negative.

overall a good game.

I resubbed last week and I'm having a lot of fun. I haven't touched my higher lvl character yet, the new island tutorial is pretty decent and I have to say the community has been great. I rolled a ranger because the one thing I've missed in MMO's lately is the ability to just go off on your own and have it feel like you out away from everyone. VG certainly allows you to feel like that. 

A high lvl character actually shuttled me around in his boat trying to find one of my quests, that really reminded me of how massive MMO's can be.