Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

custom build a laptop

earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

i custom build a laptop and i want to see what you think

15.6" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy

Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-580M (2.66GHz) 3MB Cache

4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1GB GDDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)

8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)

ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & INTEL ULTIMATE-N 6300 WIRELESS - UPTO 450Mbps

4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Enigma Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (4,800/5,200 mAh)

1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor

INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Comments

• NoCatsNoCats Member Posts: 2

It would help if you told us what you want to do with it.

• earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by NoCats

It would help if you told us what you want to do with it.

medium gamming and fast for uni projects   20 gig is enough for the uni files and programs

• NoCatsNoCats Member Posts: 2

I'd still invest in a HDD to compliment your SSD. Windows 7 can take up around 20 gigs by itself. And when you factor in the software you need for Uni (office, etc), you're going to have very little room for games/music/project work.

Apart from that, the rest of your build seems pretty solid. The 5650 is a good lower mid-range card. You should be able to run most current gen games on medium settings.

• wallet113wallet113 Member Posts: 231

SSD would be  waste on that spec.

get a platter drive at 7200 RPM HDD

if you did change the spec

i7 - 740 or higher

5870 ATI

does it 1 or 2 HDD bay?

Originally posted by wallet113

SSD would be  waste on that spec.

get a platter drive at 7200 RPM HDD

if you did change the spec

i7 - 740 or higher

5870 ATI

does it 1 or 2 HDD bay?

you are right i will get rid of the ssd since its 1 hdd and get a fast hard drive instaid and put a better cpu

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

You've got about the right idea if you want a light gaming machine today, meaning, nearly all games will be playable, but usually not at max settings and not always perfectly smooth at moderate settings.

If you want a better processor, the more appropriate thing to do is to wait for either Sandy Bridge to return or Llano to arrive.  Sandy Bridge will get you better performance at higher cost.  Llano will get you comparable performance at lower cost--and markedly lower power consumption, because Llano will let you skip the video card and use integrated graphics.

A solid state drive is hardly a waste.  It's really a question of how much space you need.  If the laptop is going to be your primary computer, then you might want more space.  If you're just going to use it now and then, and can readily load only what you need on the laptop while keeping everything else on some other desktop, then it will likely be adequate capacity.

Note that laptop hard drives are significantly more expensive for a given capacity than desktop hard drives, and also significantly slower.  To get a fast hard drive in a laptop, you're looking at paying more than the SSD would cost, though it does at least get you more capacity.  But even the fastest hard drives are nowhere near as fast as an SSD.  You can save money by getting a rather slow hard drive in a laptop, but that's slow.

Furthermore, in a desktop, the speed is the main advantage of an SSD.  In a laptop, the speed is still nice, but the other things matter, too.  Solid state drives are nearly indestructible.  If you drop a hard drive on the ground while it is running, it might break, and then you lose your data and the computer won't run until it is replaced.  Desktop cases tend not to get dropped, but laptops sometimes do get dropped or jolted or sat on vibrating surfaces while running.  All of those are toxic to hard drives.

For a solid state drive, on the other hand, it doesn't matter.  SSDs have no moving parts, and hence no moving parts that can break if you shake them back and forth.  If your laptop is going to get jostled around a fair bit while turned on, then this added reliability might justify paying the extra $70 or whatever it is for the SSD all by itself.

Next, solid state drives are dead silent.  You'd surely rather have a machine that didn't make unwanted humming noises than one that did.  Whether this is a big deal is a matter of personal taste.

Finally, solid state drives use virtually no power.  Laptop hard drives don't use very much, either, so you really only save a couple of watts or so.  But in a laptop form factor, a couple of watts is significant, both for longer battery life and for reduced heat output.

And that's on top of the enormous speed and responsiveness advantages that an SSD offers.  If 50 GB will be enough space for your needs in the laptop, then I'd say get one and it shouldn't be that hard of a decision.  If you need somewhat more than that, you might not want to pay what it costs for a larger SSD at this time.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I agree with Quiz. Unless you just need a lot of file space for some reason (and even then I'd propose using an external drive to store those), there really are way too many good reasons to have an SSD in a laptop, and very few reasons not to get one anymore.

SSDs in a desktop, ok I can see valid arguments both ways. In a laptop, there are very few exceptions to the "You are better off with an SSD" rule.

The fact that SSDs save power is somewhat debateable at the moment though. Platter drives have become very efficient, and really only draw a lot of power when they spin up, most of the time they are either spinning idle, drawing about the same power as an SSD, or are in sleep mode, drawing extremely little power. SSD's haven't really come out with a sleep mode yet to realize a huge power savings, but I can imagine one coming out in the next generation or two of SSD's. But even if you look at worst case: an SSD versus a laptop who's hard drive is sleeping the entire time, it equates to half a watt's difference, or about 15 minutes of battery life. And the odds of your hard drive never needing to spin up are almost zero, so at least as far as power goes, right now it's about a wash, and you never have to wait on an SSD to spin up from sleep mode.

Personally, I love them, and even if they don't save a considerable amount of power, they produce much less heat, and are susceptible to shock damage, which are two huge reasons to consider them for mobile computers.

yea i think i will only run the programs on the laptop and save my files either usb or  my email  so i will try and get ssd

i prefer the speed of the drive so i will play one game at a time

i found this on tigerdirect today

does this  look good for the price

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6701446&SRCCODE=WEM2593MH&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2593-_-tigeremail

Samsung RF510-S02 NP-RF510-S02US Notebook PC - Intel Core i7-720QM 1.60GHz, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

for  $ 790

According to Nvidia's web page, the video card in that laptop doesn't exist.  It's likely based on GT216, which is really the bottom end of what will more or less work for light gaming.  If you've got a bigger budget, you might want to look elsewhere for a nicer laptop.

If that's as big of a budget as you've got, then you really should wait for Llano unless you need something right now.  Llano will get you better performance than that, both on the CPU and GPU side, for a lower price tag and with less power consumption.  But if that's as much as you can afford, and you have to have it right now, then it's a decent deal.

Originally posted by Quizzical

According to Nvidia's web page, the video card in that laptop doesn't exist.  It's likely based on GT216, which is really the bottom end of what will more or less work for light gaming.  If you've got a bigger budget, you might want to look elsewhere for a nicer laptop.

If that's as big of a budget as you've got, then you really should wait for Llano unless you need something right now.  Llano will get you better performance than that, both on the CPU and GPU side, for a lower price tag and with less power consumption.  But if that's as much as you can afford, and you have to have it right now, then it's a decent deal.

no i dont really want it now i just getting info just to get good components and information on laptops  -  i will buy a deskopt for gamming but i want my laptop to be able to play some games cos i  go to the village  very ofthen - anyway i will order the parts from usa  so the big deal is i hope non of the parts will be doa  - i saw that if you crossfire two 6950 you get better fps than gtx580  but two 2gb 6950 is too mutch for one monitor and that the new 6990 and gtx590 will use a ton of power   -   i will wait for liano since the laptop will be way lighter    thanks for the info

Llano is probably coming this Spring.  It was originally scheduled to release around the start of this year, then delayed repeatedly until about the middle of this year.  Rumors say the schedule has been pulled back up, and it could launch as soon as April.  Basically, the chip design is ready, and AMD is just waiting for yields of it at Global Foundries to improve enough to make it commercially viable.  If 10% of the chips coming back from the fabs work properly, then you can test it and know that it works, but you don't want to try to make millions of them until most of the chips work, as you'll lose money if you try too soon.

Once Llano launches and Sandy Bridge returns, there will be two viable choices for gaming laptops, depending on your budget and performance needs.  One is a Llano APU, which will have integrated graphics built into the processor.  Unlike all previous integrated graphics, this is actually designed for gaming, and will be heavily based on the "Turks" GPU chip that should launch any day in $80-$100 desktop video cards.  Llano APUs will likely sell in gaming laptops that go for around $700 or $800 or so.  It won't be really high performance, but it will be good enough that nearly any game will be playable at moderate settings, and it won't run that hot.  Llano-based gaming laptops will even be genuinely portable with decent but not great battery life (e.g., a few hours), and without the potential headaches caused by switchable graphics not working right or preventing driver updates.

The other option is a Sandy Bridge processor together with a discrete video card, ideally of the Mobility Radeon HD 6800M or 6900M series.  This will get you higher performance on both the CPU and GPU sides, but will cost more and put out a lot more heat.  This will be the appropriate thing to get for someone looking for a high performance gaming laptop in the $1000-$2000 range.  It will have the traditional gaming laptop drawbacks of running hot and using a lot of power.  But it will also let you run pretty much all games smoothly at fairly high settings.

There will be other options on the market for gaming laptops, of course, such as discrete video cards from Nvidia, or an AMD processor together with a discrete video card.  But those won't have much of a point unless you find a really great deal on one.  Nvidia might slash prices on their discrete laptop video cards to try to compete with inferior hardware.  Indeed, rumors say that they already have.

thanks quizzical   so i could have a laptop very slim that can actually play games