Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wheel of Time MMO?

Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

I know this subject has been raised before. However having just started reading book 13 it made think, yeah this really would make a fine online game. (If done right!).

I just wonder why no one has attempted it yet.

Comments

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Their entire budget would be blown on creating thousands of dresses with varying degrees of bosom revealment. ;)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by Clob

Their entire budget would be blown on creating thousands of dresses with varying degrees of bosom revealment. ;)

LOL! That's SOOOOO true!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Hehe, ofc I was going to roll a Domani female Aes Sedai as my main, low necklinez ftw !

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

There have been a few games based on the WoT series. See: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/wheeloftime/index.html or a MUD that was based on it also. I would so love to be an Aes Sedai. I  had the pleasure of meeting Robert Jordan at a book signing for Book 10 a few years before he passed away. I just wish he ended the series awhile ago. I got bored around book 10 lol.

Originally posted by Riverstar

There have been a few games based on the WoT series. See: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/wheeloftime/index.html or a MUD that was based on it also. I would so love to be an Aes Sedai. I  had the pleasure of meeting Robert Jordan at a book signing for Book 10 a few years before he passed away. I just wish he ended the series awhile ago. I got bored around book 10 lol.

Yeah, he signed Fires of Heaven for me back in er.....hmmmm.....1993. Told me the series would reach its finale in about 2 or 3 books. Shame it didnt finish on book 8 really, I could have skipped books 7-11 which had maybe 250 pages of relevant storyline (total) rather than padding.

• InveritusInveritus Member UncommonPosts: 55

I hate to say this, because I've been a fan of Jordan and the WoT series for years, but I do rather like the way Brandon Sanderson is writing the last books. He cuts out most of the peripheral storylines and sticks mostly to the main characters. With Mr. Jordan, it seemed that after a while he was simply continuing the storyline just so he could see how many different types of dresses he could think up and describe in excrutiating detail. 

In my palm I hold the world, in my hand I grasp it.
    I loosened my fist but for an instant,
    and thus I failed to clasp it.

Just looked at the gamespot linked provided earlier and saw a bit about wizards of the coast obtaining rights to the books.

This triggered a memory of a PnP book that was released shortly after, based on the wheel of time (was D20 rules, pretty much the same as 3rd ed d&d).

Wish I'd bought it now, as it had all the stats for the main nasties from the series i.e draghkar, trollocs, the gholam etc, as well as path progression from novice to full aes sedai plus all the other professions.

I'm thinking now even though an mmo based on this franchise would be nice, an old school baldurs gate, party based affair would be have been better (back then! I'm sure 4th ed would butcher it nowadays :P).

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Silverthorn8

I know this subject has been raised before. However having just started reading book 13 it made think, yeah this really would make a fine online game. (If done right!).

Red Eagle Games announced plans for this in 2008.  Since then I haven't heard much about it.  I have also heard they are teaming up with Obsidian to do some of the RPGs in planning.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

Loads of stuff here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Movie on the horizon maybe, the mmo has gone dormant it seems, maybe they are biding their time (lots of big fantasy titles out this year).

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Complete Console Line-Up and MMORPG Based on Robert Jordan's Fantasy Series in the Works

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/87412-Red-Eagle-Announces-Wheel-of-Time-Games

• Pro-PainPro-Pain Member Posts: 141

Hold on a second there are 13 books now? Are you counting that new spring book or is part 2 of the last book out?  I've been rereading them for over a year.  I got The Gathering Storm and realized i had no clue what was going on lol.  Just finished Crossroads of Twilight the other day.

I'm not too sure how they would make an mmo out of it.  I would want them to stick to the lore and it is kind of restrictive in a classical mmo sense.  It would be an awesome world if they were able to pull it off....

the struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

edit: sorry wrong IP :)

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Venger

Complete Console Line-Up and MMORPG Based on Robert Jordan's Fantasy Series in the Works

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/87412-Red-Eagle-Announces-Wheel-of-Time-Games

Hmm I wonder if the author of that article "Suzie Ford" would happen to be the SBFord staff member that posted in this thread?

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

They should learn to avoid wheel of time as a game. They have made two already and both were terrible. Now if they just have to set an mmo in that world I would ask his estate for permission to set it way back in the second age. That way players know it will end one day, and badly, but they still get to enjoy the world before all the bad crap happens.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Ragnaven

They should learn to avoid wheel of time as a game. They have made two already and both were terrible. Now if they just have to set an mmo in that world I would ask his estate for permission to set it way back in the second age. That way players know it will end one day, and badly, but they still get to enjoy the world before all the bad crap happens.

I ALWAYS thought that the WoT would make a perfect MMO.....set back in the Age of Legends.  NOt much is known about that, but it would account for massive amounts of powerful channelers both male and female.  Playing out the the storyline of the war between The light and the dark in Lewis Therin's time would. be. AWESOMESAUCE.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• Aemon_alCaarAemon_alCaar Member Posts: 9

personally, id say the Trolloc Wars make for a better time period, its, at least thats my assumption, easier not to be forced to invent too much new stuff and violate canon.

It would be cool either way though.

PS: On a somewaht related note, i once had the idea that you could implement touchscreens very nicely, forcing people to draw weaves.  the geometrical structure of the wots magic lends itself pretty well to that, one just has to make sure combat doesnt feel slow and tedious (which is why i thibk touchscreen lend themselves better to that purpose than a mouse)

“For nearly two centuries the Trolloc Wars had ravaged the length and breadth of the world, and wherever battles raged, the Red Eagle banner of Manetheren was in the forefront. The men of Manetheren were a thorn to the Dark One's foot and a bramble to his hand. Sing of Mantheren, that would never bend knee to the Shadow. Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

there is already a wheel of time game .prob not an mmo tho!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

here is a review of the game!not for the faint of heart!this was and still is a hard mode game!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Originally posted by SBFord

Originally posted by Clob

LOL! That's SOOOOO true!

easy fix just make it we go the Aiel in training route xD

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• porkypriestporkypriest Member Posts: 4

My cousin loves this series and he would be very happy if an MMO is made out of this (he said that his first mmo must be based on the wheel of time)

• Pro-PainPro-Pain Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Aemon_alCaar

personally, id say the Trolloc Wars make for a better time period, its, at least thats my assumption, easier not to be forced to invent too much new stuff and violate canon.

This would probably work, but everyone would be pissed that there are only 2 factions lol.  Maybe during the war of a hundred years, with players fighting for different nations over hawkwing's empire, if borders and cities and whatnot could be "dynamically" changed through battles and storylines.  But then everyone would wanna be an aes sedai and shoot fireballs all over the place.

the struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Wheel of Time MMO could be awesome. I'm on book 9, Winter's Heart.

It would be cool if the ages past through, and people were constantly rerolling new toons.

It would be cool to get to be The Dragon Reborn, but I would be happy with being a False Dragon. lol.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

Originally posted by Lustmord

Wheel of Time MMO could be awesome. I'm on book 9, Winter's Heart.

It would be cool if the ages past through, and people were constantly rerolling new toons.

It would be cool to get to be The Dragon Reborn, but I would be happy with being a False Dragon. lol.

i would like to play in this universe too but id rather be like matt or perrin rather than be a mental case like rand! xD

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Silverthorn8

Well, there are some problems with translating the the books to a MMO.

First of all would you have to invent totally new mechanics.

The magic in wheel of time is very different from regular fantasy magic. Rightly done could the weaves lead to a intricate and fascinating system. If you just would cut and paste the regular EQ styled magic system you would loose the charm of Aes sedais completely.

And I ma not really sure that levels would be the best way to make the books come alive either. Neither would Eves or UOs systems. Maybe something based on "Basic roleplaying" could work, or a totally new system.

Crafting would be in the game, and magical items but it seems like you only can use one or a few items at the same time.

A MMO based on the books would have to be very different from other games. And the books are unbalanced, magic is totally OP in them, you would have to solve that as well. Rightly done things could be very interesting but I think few if any games could really be as good as it should be.

You would have to find a company with money, competent devs and the imagination to make something completely new.

So I prefer if no one makes a bad version of the books. I am still upset that LOTRO have healing and holy triad combat, it is against the lore.