Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats up with the lame races?

BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Two types of elves (typical and dark).

Two types of humans.

Dwarf.

Larger human.

I guess they wanted to make sure that they didn't have any 'cool' looking races out of fear of population inbalances, but even a trifle originality wouldn't of gone astray, surely?

O_o o_O

Comments

• GeminivGeminiv Member UncommonPosts: 15

I'd much rarther have a game worth playing than to make a werewolf-vampire-gnome-pixie-orc-dragon-goblin-troll-robot-alien, with 1million diffrent hair styles and beards, but i guess thats just me.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Geminiv
    I'd much rarther have a game worth playing than to make a werewolf-vampire-gnome-pixie-orc-dragon-goblin-troll-robot-alien, with 1million diffrent hair styles and beards, but i guess thats just me.

So you cannot have a game with cool races and be a good game at the same time. I did not know that.

BOOYAKA!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Same here. They could always add races later. I think the reasoning behind is:
    (a) no 'cool' race;
    (b) if most of your models are nearly the same size and shape, it's much easier to have armor fit the models and
    (c) it's a consistent design for the world and the lore

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Bigdavo

Two types of humans.

Dwarf.

Larger human.

I guess they wanted to make sure that they didn't have any 'cool' looking races out of fear of population inbalances, but even a trifle originality wouldn't of gone astray, surely?

I see them cool enought, I dont see your problem.

• GeminivGeminiv Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by cyress8

So you cannot have a game with cool races and be a good game at the same time. I did not know that.

if your happy settleing for a "good" game with whatever hybrid mix of humanoid like monstrosity thats fine but like i said id rarther a game Worth Playing .

• Roid_RageRoid_Rage Member Posts: 7

if your happy settleing for a "good" game with whatever hybrid mix of humanoid like monstrosity thats fine but like i said id rarther a game Worth Playing .

Someone is getting defensive about their game...almost half your posts have been in this one thread and you have been a member here for like 6 years, lol.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

I agree that the races are kind of bland, but at the same time it's not something I find really important.  It's their lore, they can do whatever they want. It could be worse. At least their are no gnomes or chipmunks.

If you want lame races check out Earthrise. You get the wild choices of Asian, African, or "European" (or whatever euphemism they use for a white guy I can't remember exactly).  Now there is some creativity.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

What do you consider a cool race?

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Leaves room for expansion's does it not?

Why put everything in straight of the go, when you can have expansions sell due to exciting new content.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Well yeah it is your typical strawman argument. I rather have this rather than that. Who says you cant have both?

I would say variation in races is part of making an MMORPG good.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'd still wish for a character creator, with which you can make cool looking ugly characters. Why can't I have a fat old ugly crone as my character, instead of a cute young girly girl? Gah...

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

seriously whats a cool race, please tell me its not a small furry hamster looking thing. Dwarf Elves are fine by me, anything else thats more bizare or stange always looks dumb to me.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by maji

I'd still wish for a character creator, with which you can make cool looking ugly characters. Why can't I have a fat old ugly crone as my character, instead of a cute young girly girl? Gah...

Because MMORPGs, these days, cater to the mainstream which prefers playing sexy young girls over more realistic looking ugly women/men.

I mean how many MMOG ad posters do you see with a sexy girl on them?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Sure you can... If you want to spend all that extra time(money) on all of the extra art assets involved.  Even AAA titles have limits on what time/talent/money they have available.  I'd rather such go to polish and other such, than what is little more than eye candy.  Not to mention that "cool" is highly subjective.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Yep, I'm happy with a good game, that I enjoy.  Its polished and enjoyable. Thats all I'm looking for at this point.  I'm not looking for the One True Game(tm), but I wish those who are the best of luck.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • melmoth1melmoth1 Member Posts: 762

Played it.

Fit for purpose.

Don't get the OP. Subjective opinion the most obvious explanation.

Regards

Melmoth

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Agreed, OP.

Humans = I am already all day for free in RL

Dorf = NO WAY

Elf = yawn, played a gazillion times...

So yes, comparing it to EQ2 or whatever the races are quite boring indeed. But at least thats consequent design, given the rest of the game is mostly boring as well. *shrug*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MaveinMavein Member UncommonPosts: 13

Agree, this will hurt Rift alot. Ive been playing games since eq and the majority of the people ive met like cool looking characters, and there are none in Rift.

Regardless if its achievable, people like to strive towards individuality, and when every character looks the same, people will get turned off.

Everquest had WAY more options at release, and each race meant somthing different.

Warcraft didnt have as many as eq, and that sucked, however it ranged from Gnome to Tauren, with orcs and Elves, Dwarfs, etc etc.

One Human looking class SUCKS.

• supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

The races are bland, boring with zero creativity. Kinda like the rest of the game.

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

the only race i liked was teh Bahmi (sp?) didn't like that Avatar race looks too odd and tree huggery.but i preordered the CE and enjoy the game itself.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Mavein

Agree, this will hurt Rift alot.

I LOL'd.  This will HURT Rift?  A-LOT?!?  LOL

Listen, every game has humans.  This is certainly no better or worse than forcing people to roll a female only or male only race.  Could they have evolved the races more?  Possibly... but I enjoy the fact that they explain that some of the races were not originally FROM Telara but have been around long enough that they consider it home.

I understand the opinion that people want to personalize more and get more "cool" looking races, but to say that THAT will singlehandedly IMPACT a game that has thus far shown itself to be more polished than quite a few of it's predecessors... whelp, I think that's just plain ignorant.

Players make a game.  Good playing/story makes a game.  Interesting concepts makes a game.  Having only 3 races on both factions does NOT make a game.  It's just an element.

• facrisfacris Member UncommonPosts: 67

I definately don't think the race selection will hurt the game. 

Now I would have loved another race or two for variety, but I care much more for the factions being 'equal' for release.  Something as simple as having a 'cool' race in one faction, but not the other would spell all types of trouble.

True, the choices are stark and not innovative, but I care more that they sides are equally stark and not innovative.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Uhhhhh...  Me TOO! *BURP* I have hairy feet as a Human! *Hic*

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Bigdavo

Two types of humans.

Dwarf.

Larger human.

Yeah,all the races are generic and uninspired.

Just like the game.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

The more I play in the Beta ... The more I Like! ... Definetly getting this on release. I will not Pre-Order though... Pre-ordering is for the lamebrained.

Blizzard better be aware... WoW is on the Brink of Destruction

My opinion is that every WoW player actually hates the game but they keep playing because simply there is nothing better out there.

Until now!

RIFT is awesome!

WoW is for dumbasses