Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise vs. Xsyon communication

GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

Look at the Xsyon devs responding to posts every day, even saying "that's a good idea for a feature i'll consider it" and giving constant updates for server issues. Then ER, like 2 vague posts on what they are trying to fix with no evidence that they did as there are NO patch notes and no real difference, even on a thread begging for them to respond to the absurd amounts of complaints from even long time supporters they didn't respond. There seems to be no community manager (where the hell is Kulani?) at all. Thing is ER has an 80 man dev team, Xsyon has like 5 yet they post on a regular basis.

Then people give the, "they don't post b/c they need to work on the game!" But it would take like 5 minutes to write a little update, like when they got home from work or something.

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Have you played Xyson or MO? If you did you'd see why commincation doesn't mean anything.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

You gotta give props to the dev of Xsyon though, they are pretty much active on the forum every single day and even on the Chat channel, which is what i am enjoying at the moment

and yeah, that Kuliani guys is pretty useless, ever since he replaced Moll, hasn't done much except to post once every 2 weeks or so

i dont really know about now though

So What Now?

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Are you really whining about the forum contribution by the devs and then comparing them this early into the game?

There are bigger issues 2 weeks into launch, than how often devs come into the forum to stroke the ego's of their players. Besides, the ER devs post every day, they even have an entire forum called 'Choose Your Game Feature' which lets the community choose which feature they'd most like implemented/developed for that month, then the devs carry it out. Do some research before mindlessly trolling. 

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I think the OP has a point, despite the state Xsyon is in post Head-Start there is a sense that we are being treated with an open respect; many players in my tribe compare the Xsyon devs favourably to the Earthrise ones specifically on how they are handling the lag/server issues.

It’s that sense of let-down or even abandonment that if not actually true, the Earthrise people haven’t done enough to reduce. It reminds me of the relationship that developed between Rift players in early beta and Trion. It really makes a difference if you feel you are in this with the devs, regardless of the state of the game itself. It can build loyalty at a crucial point for an mmo.

Maybe this should be in the Xyson forum though.
  • ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

The difference in comminication, and yes I do follow both, is as simple as this next statement.

One game gives its community updates because they feel they must, the other gives thier community updates because the know its the right thing to do.

Thats your difference, ER, thier updates and style of getting interaction with thier community appears nothing less than scripted and PR in nature. Every update is as if they have a speechwriter sitting in the back going over every detail before its put out. Their interaction is professional. And every update is given on a schedule as if its on someones to do list in Outlook with a pop-up telling them to do it. And if that pop-up didnt come up, the question is, would they? In my mind I see a meeting taking place every morning to discuss the state of the game between section chiefs, minutes taken, handed to the community manager and written up for distribution.

Xsyon is just the opposite, thier updates are there when they have something to give. They aren't scripted, they aren't PR, and they aren't being done because it was told to them that they had to 'give an update to the players once a day'. Thier updates are candid, they hold discussions with thier player base, both on the forums and in game. If you have a bug, they dont just take your report and send you a pre-generated response saying thanx we will get to this whenever, if they need more info they jump in game and ask you personally about it. They show concern for the game.

Do both give updates to thier communities.....yes.

Do both take input from thier communities....yes.

Are they both trying to make thier games a good game for the community.....yes.

But, which one would you rather have? Me, Xsyon.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

A rather interesting observance, ScribZ. Thinking about it, I get the same impressions from the news and dev posts, as well.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by ScribZ

Sincerity doesn't make a good game. I couldn't care less how empathetic the dev team are to the communities insecurity, as long as the game progresses/improves thats all that counts to me. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by D_TOX

Sincerity doesn't make a good game. I couldn't care less how empathetic the dev team are to the communities insecurity, as long as the game progresses/improves thats all that counts to me. 

I think he was talking about the type of communication he'd prefer from a company. It doesn't seem he was commenting on which was a better game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The problem with Masthead is, that they don't listen to their players at all actually and only followe their so called "plan".

If they would listen, then they would've changed alot of their stuff during beta allready, and I'm speaking of beta a few month ago.

• FohmynFohmyn Member Posts: 9

What it comes down to is both games are imperfect. Very much so. It will likely be a challenge for both to retain many of the people who initially try them out. Having good communication with the developers shows they know of issues, unpopular game mechanics, and shows players their feedback might result in a positive change in the game. Having little or no contact with the developers, even if the devs actively read the forums and refrain from commenting, makes people frustrated.

I'd venture to say most people posting on game forums do so to help other players or to help the developers. Their posts may not be helpful, but they're trying. Having devs responsive enough to say, "Good idea." or "Not likely to happen." makes a huge deal to the crowd who put a significant chunk of time into brainstorming and posting ideas to make the game better.

If you were me, you'd be arrogant too.

Originally posted by Yalexy

The problem with Masthead is, that they don't listen to their players at all actually and only followe their so called "plan".

If they would listen, then they would've changed alot of their stuff during beta allready, and I'm speaking of beta a few month ago.

You're so wrong though. There's an entire forum dedicated to the community's wishes. Guess what, they have a plan because they're professional developers. Do you think they just sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for people like you to tell them what to do? lol. Use your head a little. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

You're so wrong though. There's an entire forum dedicated to the community's wishes. Guess what, they have a plan because they're professional developers. Do you think they just sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for people like you to tell them what to do? lol. Use your head a little. 

I watch both forums and played both games.  I can honestly say that the communication is much better on the Xsyon site.  I know that ER has a dedicated section on what players would like to see, but I haven't seen any actual implementation of these ideas or indeed player suggestions (of course I could be wrong, because I don't see every aspect of the game.  Xsyon on the other hand I have seen direct and responsive changes made based on the communities feedback.  To me, this is the most telling point on which game has the best dev/player relationship.

I self identify as a monkey.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I'm not wrong at all there. It's you, who don't want to see the truth about Masthead.

75% of beta-testers (and I'm still talking of the old beta-testers, who tested for several month) told Masthead that there's alot of stuff that does need to be changed, like the totally unacceptable discrepancy of equipment-tiers or the boring grind for materials and the lack of individualization in the crafting-process etc.

Masthead had allmost half a year to fix those issues allready and listen to the community... yet they did nothing.
    Having a forum-section to complain about things or suggest things is not going to change that.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Being nice to people on a forum a good game does not make. It might make you feel less insecure, it may boost your confidence that they will overhaul the combat in Xyson so that it's no longer representative of a shitty 1980's beat 'em up programmed by a dyslexic with one eye, three fingers and attention defecit issues.

If MHS developers started a media blitz of smoking pole would it improve the game? No. Also to be quite honest MHS does as good a job of any at communicating what's happening. I don't need to be patronised or humoured by them, I just need information and they provide that on their forums. If you feel you're getting a better deal on the Xyson forums then good for you. I'm sure once it has launched however they'll have enough to do between fixing the game and having haters tearing them a new butt hole without pandering to those that would rather play the forums than the game! 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Agricola1

Being nice to people on a forum a good game does not make. It might make you feel less insecure, it may boost your confidence that they will overhaul the combat in Xyson so that it's no longer representative of a shitty 1980's beat 'em up programmed by a dyslexic with one eye, three fingers and attention defecit issues.

If MHS developers started a media blitz of smoking pole would it improve the game? No. Also to be quite honest MHS does as good a job of any at communicating what's happening. I don't need to be patronised or humoured by them, I just need information and they provide that on their forums. If you feel you're getting a better deal on the Xyson forums then good for you. I'm sure once it has launched however they'll have enough to do between fixing the game and having haters tearing them a new butt hole without pandering to those that would rather play the forums than the game! 

Well I think if we just read that sentance you put there which I highlighted in red we get a perfect picture of how you feel about the game Xsyon. And every other opinion of yours about the game becomes irrelivant after that doesn't it. I mean seriously, you dont give a rats ass how much the devs of that game communiticate to you, you hate the game, you will always hate the game until they fix what you feel is that bad. So lets cut through all the other BS your spoonin up there and just go with the truth. Your biased, you hate Xsyon combat and cannot comment on any other part of it , the communication, or the community of that game at all past that point.

In the immortal words of a member of the Xsyon community....umadbro?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Gintoh

Look at the Xsyon devs responding to posts every day, even saying "that's a good idea for a feature i'll consider it" and giving constant updates for server issues. 

as professionals they have to act like professionals.... they wont say "stfu ur idea is dumb and wont help the game"..... even if they disagree with your idea they will make you believe you actually suggested something good for the game (even if its good idea for the game and they still disagree)... so never believe a bussinessman until you see results (just like politics ;) )

Well I think if we just read that sentance you put there which I highlighted in red we get a perfect picture of how you feel about the game Xsyon. And every other opinion of yours about the game becomes irrelivant after that doesn't it. I mean seriously, you dont give a rats ass how much the devs of that game communiticate to you, you hate the game, you will always hate the game until they fix what you feel is that bad. So lets cut through all the other BS your spoonin up there and just go with the truth. Your biased, you hate Xsyon combat and cannot comment on any other part of it , the communication, or the community of that game at all past that point.

No amount of facepalms can hide the cringe i did when i read this post. Please go. Xsyon is >>>> that way. Enjoy happy-slapping your foes into submission lol. 

Agricola was spot on with his post, its just the haters are so desperate to attack their beloved Earthrise on every level possible. 

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

A. Xsyon isn't about combat

B. Your post didn't address any of the points on developer communication made in this thread.

C. The fact that a game developed by ONE guy has far better dev/community communication then a company of 80+ people is pathetic.

I really want ER to get better b/c I don't like the setting of Xsyon. 

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Let's cut through the BS then, yes I am biased. No I don't "hate" Xyson but I do think the combat is sub par even for a 1980's beat 'em up on the Comodore 64. I like Dtox's description as it reminds me of a happy slapping taken on a mobile phone then posted on youtube.

What I don't do is go to the Xyson forums and QQ and bash a game I don't play because it falls below even my lowest standards. I get it, you like Xyson and I get that you think the DEV team is really good at communicating with the community compared to MHS. However I just don't care, in fact anybody that is posting on these forums due to an interest in ER probably doesn't care either.

So no, I'm not mad bro and no I don't hate Xyson bro but neither do I get butt hurt on the Xyson forums because I think ER combat is light years ahead, nor do I feel the need to rub peoples faces in it . In fact most of us are advising others to hold off on trying ER for a month or two until performance issues are addressed. This type of thread is nothing but flame bait probably made because people are bored waiting for Xyson. 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Let's cut through the BS then, yes I am biased. No I don't "hate" Xyson but I do think the combat is sub par even for a 1980's beat 'em up on the Comodore 64. I like Dtox's description as it reminds me of a happy slapping taken on a mobile phone then posted on youtube.

What I don't do is go to the Xyson forums and QQ and bash a game I don't play because it falls below even my lowest standards. I get it, you like Xyson and I get that you think the DEV team is really good at communicating with the community compared to MHS. However I just don't care, in fact anybody that is posting on these forums due to an interest in ER probably doesn't care either.

So no, I'm not mad bro and no I don't hate Xyson bro but neither do I get butt hurt on the Xyson forums because I think ER combat is light years ahead, nor do I feel the need to rub peoples faces in it . In fact most of us are advising others to hold off on trying ER for a month or two until performance issues are addressed. This type of thread is nothing but flame bait probably made because people are bored waiting for Xyson. 

Well said. 

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189

There's a fair bit of brown nosing taking place amongst these forums lately!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The dev communication from Xsyon has been very good.

But, communication and results are two very different things.  Let's not forget that, with the new launch date, Xsyon will be exactly 1 year late.  And, for all the ballyhoo about them not releasing "before it's ready", they are doing just that.  Xsyon is an incomplete game - from the combat, to useless buildings, to everything else that will be put in the game from the features list "at some time in the future".

As someone that preordered almost a year ago, I can tell you that they've been communicating their ineptitude quite clearly.  From their initial estimates on release dates which were WAY off, to exceedingly slow implementation of features, to the current incomplete game, they've communicated throughout, but performed just as badly as any other indie company out there.

Fans gloss over the fact that, from a historical perspective, the Xsyon early access launch counts as one of the worst in MMO history.  How many other early access launches have begun with monumental lag causing an unprecedented number of problems in-game?  Servers are a large part of the problem, but because this game never had a real stress test of any kind, I'll be surprised if it turns out to be the only problem.  Ultimately, it is resulting in a two week delay in the full launch, and a server wipe.  While most games have launch problems, few rise to the level that Xsyon has had.

Yes, I understand that Notorious is a very small, indie game company.  And, I'm personally very interested in playing the game.  But no other game companies, indie for AAA, have gotten the type of kid glove treatment many of the Xsyon fans seem to be expecting here for this type of debacle.

Communication is important, and I'm sure they could do better with Earthrise.  But no amount of communication will make a faulty, unfinished game better.  From that perspective, Xsyon is probably worse off than Earthrise.

Oddly enough, there appears to be a concerted effort by some Xsyon fans to insert themselves into the forums of every other game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by Rohn

The dev communication from Xsyon has been very good.

But, communication and results are two very different things.  Let's not forget that, with the new launch date, Xsyon will be exactly 1 year late.  And, for all the ballyhoo about them not releasing "before it's ready", they are doing just that.  Xsyon is an incomplete game - from the combat, to useless buildings, to everything else that will be put in the game from the features list "at some time in the future".

As someone that preordered almost a year ago, I can tell you that they've been communicating their ineptitude quite clearly.  From their initial estimates on release dates which were WAY off, to exceedingly slow implementation of features, to the current incomplete game, they've communicated throughout, but performed just as badly as any other indie company out there.

Fans gloss over the fact that, from a historical perspective, the Xsyon early access launch counts as one of the worst in MMO history.  How many other early access launches have begun with monumental lag causing an unprecedented number of problems in-game?  Servers are a large part of the problem, but because this game never had a real stress test of any kind, I'll be surprised if it turns out to be the only problem.  Ultimately, it is resulting in a two week delay in the full launch, and a server wipe.  While most games have launch problems, few rise to the level that Xsyon has had.

Yes, I understand that Notorious is a very small, indie game company.  And, I'm personally very interested in playing the game.  But no other game companies, indie for AAA, have gotten the type of kid glove treatment many of the Xsyon fans seem to be expecting here for this type of debacle.

Communication is important, and I'm sure they could do better with Earthrise.  But no amount of communication will make a faulty, unfinished game better.  From that perspective, Xsyon is probably worse off than Earthrise.

Oddly enough, there appears to be a concerted effort by some Xsyon fans to insert themselves into the forums of every other game.

You must have never played Earthrise. Its a far bigger disaster than Xsyon and ER has an 80 man team wo worked 5 years to produce the disaster that they released. They also posponed launch for year. 

Xsyon was bad the first day of prerelease. Once the download server stopped being overloaded the game is completely playable. Did bugs pop up? Yes.  But there has already  been large improvements after just a few days. Are all the features ever promised currently ingame? No. but lets not compare that to Earthrise who is missing almost all of its sandbox features.

There probably is no reasoning with you. So lets just agree to disagree. You play earthrise and enjoy the game in which the game producer thinks the state of the game is good considering the size of the team and the time it took to develop. A game that was release client is still in debug mode. A game that took some 1-2 weeks to even get working keys to access the game. A game that will get its first client side patch almost 3 weaks after release. Oh I am sorry there were several server side patches. IS that the East coast server as they claim. HMMm why are players posted tracer info on the official forums that shows the game is still connecting to the same california server that it was in beta. A game that claimed it was waiting to implement Territory control only so that players could level up. Yet in last weeks development update they state "5. The siege interface is almost complete. We are very excited to see it and test it.

6. The siege buildings are ready. We will share some previews and information about them later this month."

I will play Xsyon who yes has its bugs and missing features, but after only 3 days of prerelease has already patched both client and server and has communicated with us honestly and there has been nothing to make us think otherwise.

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

Originally posted by Arquiteto

Originally posted by Rohn

You play earthrise and enjoy the game in which the game producer thinks the state of the game is good considering the size of the team and the time it took to develop.

Which is bigger then many AAA mmo's. Lets not forget that Xsyons dedicated dev team is ONE guy, with 4-5  other people that switch in and out. ER has 80 people yet produces this.

• DereknorDereknor Member Posts: 35

I love Xsyon and hate Earthrise :D

The only good thing about Earthrise is, that I read so much about Xsyon on the discussions everywhere, that I read more about Xsyon and now playing it happily.

Xsyon got some problems too, but they havent even launched the game yet, so they can still fix all bugs and lag. And they told me from beginning which features are in and which are not.

So it was no bad suprise when I logged in. Everything was like I expected it, even better. And I like to read on the forum what the Devs are doing, what they are planing and so on.

This feels really like an MMO going to be released in 3 weeks, not like this strange crazy release from Earthrise.

So as I said, the only good thing about earthrise is, that it brought me to Xsyon :)

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file