Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been thinking about coming back

DarthMooskaDarthMooska Member UncommonPosts: 146

I left apparently right before horse armor was implemented. There were still lots of bugs and latency problems galore. That said, I still think the concept of this game and most of the gameplay systems were built just for me. How enjoyable is the game right now? What's the population look like? What are some of the major improvements that have been implemented in the last 7 months?

I derive my strength from passion. Do you feel that? That is what seperates you and I, Jedi!

Comments

• shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

You know all you would need to do is read the Official MO forums for about 5 mins to find out the answers you seek.  But i'll bite.

I recently quit the game.  Played from beta till about a month ago.  The population is dismal.  The pvp is broken and the only "major" improvements are the graphics and butchery.    But I will lay down some threads for you to read.

This thread is from Thaeric long time supporter of MO and member of Forsaken.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/58980-one-last-bang-before-i-go.html

State of PVP.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/307707/The-current-state-of-PVP-in-MO.html

Server status, you can see it crashes multiple times a day.  Way too many times a day for a game 8 months past release.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/47651-server-status.html

This is a new players review on the game read some of his posts.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/59010-mortal-online-free-play-until-done.html

But personally I got sick and tired and left the game because of a multitude of reasons.  Dying to invisible people, dying to invisible pets, population, slag hauling being broken most of the time, skills not being there for months, patches that always break the game, etc, etc.  Also the last patch broke the game and they have had 2 hotfixes to fix it and it is still not working properly.  But it is your $15 bux go in and try it out. 

I saw Kernir in IRC the other day I could not believe he resubbed.  I was asking why he did and he said and got booted for saying all the reasons why he regrets resubbing.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Rlmcoy is right, you'd be better off checking out the official forums (though not just the cherry-picked links he consistently  copy&pastes here )

The official Server Status thread and a post the chief communtiy manager said was one of the best he had read (and recommended personally to the Devs) are "cherry picked"?  I can only assume you mean cherry picked as in he picked the best, most relevant threads. Did you mean something else?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Betel

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Rlmcoy is right, you'd be better off checking out the official forums (though not just the cherry-picked links he consistently  copy&pastes here )

The official Server Status thread and a post the chief communtiy manager said was one of the best he had read (and recommended personally to the Devs) are "cherry picked"?  I can only assume you mean cherry picked as in he picked the best, most relevant threads. Did you mean something else?

Another of his links is to the official Server Status thread... yeah.. that's about as official as they get...  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• dpollackdpollack Member Posts: 15

Ok, I had to remember my profile here so I could post after reading this thread.  Seeing ow only active subscribers can post on the MO offical forum... I will rage here. I was Wonderboy2402 on the MO forums if anyone cares. I played during the beta blocks and for the month and half time after release.

I been following the game since it was first announced. I bought the special loot bag edition of the game. It was a gamble, and I looked at  my purchase as an investment, sort of like my experience early in the days of UO.  I was VERY vocal prior to release at how much this game was not ready for "launch." I was PISSED when they said all preorders would be forced to start their month of play when the game went gold... Something not stated when they were taking preorders. I would not have preordered a CE copy because i was going to wait till the game was polished up before activation. MO was missing so many things from their little bullet list of features.

But regardless, I find it ironic that all those people that basically subscribed out of charity all these months. Man, how they have been taken by starvault. I feel so stupid for just having bought the CE copy of the game, but people have been paying $15.00+ a month (on multiple accounts) all this time. Wow. I learned my lesson the hardway. Never again will I take such a foolish gamble on a title. In fact, after thid MO fiasco I don't know if I will ever bother with MMOs again.

I said before my time on the offical forum ran out that I would reevaluate the game post 6 months release. Well periodic checking of the forums showed me hardly any progress or achievement had been made within the game. All the things that were needed for a successful sandbox are either missing or barely implememented. I had planned on resubscribing at the six month mark but I saw hardly any reason to do so. I hardly see any reason now a year out.  Why, oh why did they focus on so much PVP? PVP should have been end game stuff. Sieging and guild warfare should be events for high level play and guild events. The majority of their effort should have been PVE and lore, which would have ensured a large population of sheep for the wolves to hunt.  That is what Ultima Online had been like. New players would be introduced to the game through PVE and their "task" system for learning machnics of the game.  Instead, they make a clunky gathering and crafting system (the weapon crafting with materials were unique) and make it SUCH A FUCKING CHORE to get anything done. The senseless grinding on trees for skills was far worse then even UO macroing. Killing the same static mobs over and over again... AND BOOKS. OMG don't get me started on books, so retarded.

Overall I feel nothing but smug satisfaction for people who actually remained subscribed after all these months and are now fading away.   I wish I had bashed their game more in retrospect before my free month ended. I would not be surprised if MO is but a footnote in the history of MMOs in three months time. Perhaps an entry under Wikipedia covering "greatest mmo scams of all time."

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

So the game is still a buggy mess and I should wait another 3 to 6 months before subbing again?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yes the game is still quite buggy. if you had desync and lag before there is a good chance that you'll still have it even if slightly less. on top of that there is a new prediction system that was implemented last month and it's creating more problems then it fixed. i have no idea why it was even implemented. the server is still very unstable and i goes down 4/5 times almost every day :(.

i would like to think that in 3/6 months they will have fixed more stuff, but it's been 8 months already and combat only slightly better then how it was at launch. things are not looking up.

Originally posted by osmunda

@ Betel - He meant cherrypicking the things that would reinforce his opinion. Whether that is the "best, most relevent threads" depends  on whether you agree with him.

Those threads are not about his opinion. One is the official Server Status thread (facts about whether the server is up or down) and a thread that was recommended by the head community manager (showing whether the CM and Devs thought the issues were valid).

His opinion is not relevant at all. Can you find a Server Status thread that doesn't show the server down several times a day?  Can you find a thread personally recommended by the CM to the Devs for it's detail and honesty that contradicts Thaeric's post?

The answer to both those questions is no. The links he posted are not opinion, they are simply the clearest facts on the issue.

And by post count Shogunone meant on the MO boards. Thaeric's thread has 3.5k views, way way more than any other. What you can take from that is up to you, but it certainly means that interest in that thread is orders of magnitude higher than any other.

• shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Betel

Originally posted by osmunda

@ Betel - He meant cherrypicking the things that would reinforce his opinion. Whether that is the "best, most relevent threads" depends  on whether you agree with him.

Those threads are not about his opinion. One is the official Server Status thread (facts about whether the server is up or down) and a thread that was recommended by the head community manager (showing whether the CM and Devs thought the issues were valid).

His opinion is not relevant at all. Can you find a Server Status thread that doesn't show the server down several times a day?  Can you find a thread personally recommended by the CM to the Devs for it's detail and honesty that contradicts Thaeric's post?

The answer to both those questions is no. The links he posted are not opinion, they are simply the clearest facts on the issue.

And by post count Shogunone meant on the MO boards. Thaeric's thread has 3.5k views, way way more than any other. What you can take from that is up to you, but it certainly means that interest in that thread is orders of magnitude higher than any other.

Exactly.....

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

OP: To help you decide, here is a video showing current PvP and the lag/desync/interpolation/prediction issues (SV renames it every so often).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIFWeOHndho

Video was taken just a day or two ago. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Cherry picking is the act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

FunkmastaD was not saying that any of his examples are false. He was saying shogunone was pointing at only those things that reinforced his opinion. For a more balanced overview of the game: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/reviews/load/128/page/1

Can you find a Server Status thread that doesn't show the server down several times a day?  No, but if Ireally wanted to I could point out days that aren't mentioned in that thread (how about yesterday 2/20)

Can you find a thread personally recommended by the CM to the Devs for it's detail and honesty that contradicts Thaeric's post?  Thaeric's comments were a nuanced critique of MO. I made my comments on his post in that thread.

But he does not ignore "significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position".

As I said, the server status thread is what it is. No opinions, no contrary information, no debate. What cases or data are contrary to the server status thread? What other post has been specifically picked out by SV employees as a valid and accurate portrayal of the current issues? Where are these other cases and data that boast similar credentials to the ones he listed? You still haven't provided any.

Those threads are exactly what the OP wanted, from the horses mouth. Posting a link to an old review that says the game is a buggy mess, but has potential in no way compares to the links being discussed. Who cares about potential if the game doesn't work properly, the subject of Thaeric's thread in many ways.Hell, even the reviewer admits the potentia might not (and he is being generous here) be realised. The OP played MO before, he knows the potential routine and just wants to know does stuff work or is it still in the state it was when he left.

They kept the server up for one day? Hang out the flags! 8 months or so since release and they finally go a day without a crash. How often did it crash the 2 days before that? Just for comparison.

• TrainerMHSTrainerMHS Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

OP: To help you decide, here is a video showing current PvP and the lag/desync/interpolation/prediction issues (SV renames it every so often).

lol this was great to watch. Really sad to see a game so far after launch still having problems like this.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

i don't play the game, but the overwhelming theme of the threads and posts on MO are very negative.  While the game has probably improved since you last played it, if the continual negative posts are an indicator, I would hold off on getting back into this game.  I too am interested in MO and look forward when the reviews begin to turn around.

I self identify as a monkey.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

i doubt this game will survive 2011 with such a low population and broken mechanics. good luck.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Wow that one guy was ninja teleporting through buildings and I think I saw a Dragon Ball Z moment in there somewhere. The environment looks a bit Demon Soulish. At least he was getting 50FPS.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!