Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just started back - made a new character

theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

I love the new character creator. Even though it does feel a bit bare, it feels like CCP has taken the time to actually update their game in a variety of different ways.

But, my main problem with this is, is that I remember the character creator being a bit more in depth originally.

Like, not only did it allow you to pick your race and change your face and what not, but you also had the ability to fool with the stats and pick your basic skills. My original character was at least able to do this.

But I could have missed something when creating my character. Either way, though, I like the change. It allows for a smoother transition into the game, and gives a good new updated appearence.  (Which, I expect this CC was created to prep for Incarna.)

I wish more MMOs would go through this much trouble in updating their mmorpg.

Groovy.

Comments

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

What you called "depth" were mostly ways to screw up your character while experienced pilots could create throwaway alts with good skills in a specific area.

The system has been scrapped. You now start with a blank character with a bare minimum of sp.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Personally, I hate the new character creator. Make a few characters, reset a few times, and you'll see that you really can't change the way your character looks at all. It's still the same basic shape, where as the old one you could at least make character that looked different, in the new one you can only take pictures that look different.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by batolemaeus

What you called "depth" were mostly ways to screw up your character while experienced pilots could create throwaway alts with good skills in a specific area.

The system has been scrapped. You now start with a blank character with a bare minimum of sp.

Well, it's been over three years since I last played, and at the time, it felt like I had more control over my character in the beginning. Not that I dislike starting with the bare essentials or anything.

And to the Character creation comment, I think that if this really is a prelude to Incarna, they will expand upon it. It is a bit bare, but I've seen worse in games. Especially with all the F2P games I've been playing lately.

Groovy.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by ScrimMaltese

Personally, I hate the new character creator. Make a few characters, reset a few times, and you'll see that you really can't change the way your character looks at all. It's still the same basic shape, where as the old one you could at least make character that looked different, in the new one you can only take pictures that look different.

Never fear! Soon you will be able to pay CCP to be able to customise your character to your heart's content!

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by theratmonkey

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Well, it's been over three years since I last played, and at the time, it felt like I had more control over my character in the beginning. Not that I dislike starting with the bare essentials or anything.

And to the Character creation comment, I think that if this really is a prelude to Incarna, they will expand upon it. It is a bit bare, but I've seen worse in games. Especially with all the F2P games I've been playing lately.

The character attributes can be changed once a year now and you have double training speed until you reach 1,6 million sp (I think that's the limit anyway). So regardless of feelings you certainly have more control now :)

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Malcanis

Never fear! Soon you will be able to pay CCP to be able to customise your character to your heart's content!

Have they actually stated they are going to do this?  I can see paying ISK for tattoos, accessories, etc but if CCP takes EVE into a full on item-shop (even if said items provide no gaming advantage) then I will be very sad.  If EVE was somehow hemoraging subscriptions and they were starting to lose money then maybe I can see a switch to that type of model but EVE-Online is the one MMO on the market (not counting the behemoth) that has been steadily increasing in subscription numbers since it released - that doesn't speak to a need for more cash imo.

As far as the OP:  I recall the old char creator seeming to feel like it had more options - read: more slider bars - than the current rendition does.  I also recall spending days feeling that I needed to research exactly what skills were best to choose.  This is why I'm a Caldari Achura as sooo many others were around that time - they had the "best" stats combo from the start (once the Achura race-line was introduced that is).  Folks could seriously nerf their character if they did not know what they were choosing at the get go so I like that part of the new system.

Anyway, welcome to EVE, enjoy your stay.  Find a good corp, do the tutorials, etc etc and so on.

GL, HF, Fly Safe,

o7